PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano suspended indefinitely

DumpJerry
06-25-2010, 07:17 PM
How fast the mighty can fall. (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5328972)

RKMeibalane
06-25-2010, 07:18 PM
He's getting exactly what he deserves.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2010, 07:18 PM
That team is a complete disaster. I'd put him on waivers and see if anyone is dumb enough to claim him.

DumpJerry
06-25-2010, 07:20 PM
The thing is, I don't consider his contract one of the dumb ones Hendry has done. At the time, Z was a stud pitcher and probably would have gotten around that amount on the open market. Yeah, he was always a hot head, but this behavior was not expected.

konerko 14
06-25-2010, 07:21 PM
:tongue: that is hilarious. Cubs are done.

Boondock Saint
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM
The douchebag earned it. Derrek Lee is a gold glove 1B and a class act, and he knows what he's doing out there. A good teammate never calls out a teammate in public, especially when it's unfounded. A good teammate lets it go and goes back to work.

russ99
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Let's kick 'em while they're down.

The thing that's really disgusting about this is how long his behavior was tolerated. A bit hypocritical that they finally do this when he's doing poorly, but let him get away with it when he was putting up ace numbers.

Boondock Saint
06-25-2010, 07:27 PM
The thing is, I don't consider his contract one of the dumb ones Hendry has done. At the time, Z was a stud pitcher and probably would have gotten around that amount on the open market. Yeah, he was always a hot head, but this behavior was not expected.

Actually, he would have gotten 2-4 million more a year on the open market.

DumpJerry
06-25-2010, 07:29 PM
The douchebag earned it. Derrek Lee is a gold glove 1B and a class act, and he knows what he's doing out there. A good teammate never calls out a teammate in public, especially when it's unfounded. A good teammate lets it go and goes back to work.
Stoney said it best "who gave up that home run to Quentin?"

I think the answer is not "Derrek Lee."

soxfanreggie
06-25-2010, 07:31 PM
This could be the best thing for the Cubs if it means he doesn't get paid during the suspension. Every game he doesn't get paid for this year saves the Cubs approximately $110,000.

RKMeibalane
06-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Ironic, considering that he and Pinella apparently spoke before this afternoon's game. I wonder if Lou is going to come after him again because he said this. :cool:

Shoeless
06-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Ironic, considering that he and Pinella apparently spoke before this afternoon's game. I wonder if Lou is going to come after him again because he said this. :cool:

ESPN says Lou and Stoney are BFFs now. All is well. Except this little Z thing and the whole "Cubs are worse than sin" thing.

Madvora
06-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Lee told him to shut the **** up.
Man, Zambrano is a complete headcase. I can't believe they had Milton Bradley and him on the same team.

Slats
06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
The difference between the attitudes of then two teams is amazing. The Sox are starting to work together as a team. Good management, team starting to come together as a unit. No bs, no excuses. The difference between the tv shots of the 2 dugouts was amazing.

The Cubs.... well, I expect no less. Bad chemistry, Piniella has no control over the team. Nothing but excuses. Worse yet, no heart.

Zambrano has always been a hotheaded little punk. I hope he enjoys his middle relief role... until he's traded.

GoGoCrede
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Derrek Lee reminds me of Jim Thome - both class acts, both highly respected by the fans and players. How big of an ass do you have to be to piss one of them off?

Anyway, it's a shame - Zambrano, when he's on, has a lot of talent. He reminds me a lot of Bradley.

I would like to thank the baseball gods for Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, and Garcia, none of whom I can ever imagine pulling antics like this.

GoGoCrede
06-25-2010, 08:05 PM
By the way - I was reading the gamethread, and apparently Z chewed out a bunch of cameramen while leaving the Cell? And they're going to air it tonight? My my, that'll be a nice capper for the game.

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2010, 08:27 PM
By the way - I was reading the gamethread, and apparently Z chewed out a bunch of cameramen while leaving the Cell? And they're going to air it tonight? My my, that'll be a nice capper for the game.

He reportedly went on a profanity-laced tirade (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/carlos-zambrano-cubs-suspended--97199364.html) at an NBC 5 cameraman. The video, however, just shows him sitting on his car.

g0g0
06-25-2010, 08:29 PM

LOLOLOL! :rolling:

GoGoCrede
06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
He reportedly went on a profanity-laced tirade (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/carlos-zambrano-cubs-suspended--97199364.html) at an NBC 5 cameraman. The video, however, just shows him sitting on his car.

Wow, what a colossal letdown that video was. Kind of like Zambrano. I do like his outfit though. :smile:

g0g0
06-25-2010, 08:35 PM

+1. This is one of the biggest gripes I've had with Z. I would rather have less talent and better team chemistry than a wasted talent of an *******. Derrek Lee is a class act and I'll be sorry to see him gone next year.

Hendu
06-25-2010, 08:51 PM
This could be the best thing for the Cubs if it means he doesn't get paid during the suspension. Every game he doesn't get paid for this year saves the Cubs approximately $110,000.

I'd imagine that he'll get paid during the suspension, or the union would file a grievance. But I bet he's going to be somewhere else soon and the Cubs are going to have to eat a ton of his salary.

soxfanreggie
06-25-2010, 09:03 PM
I'd imagine that he'll get paid during the suspension, or the union would file a grievance. But I bet he's going to be somewhere else soon and the Cubs are going to have to eat a ton of his salary.

I would have even less respect for the PA if they filed a grievance for suspending him without pay. In this situation, you have to do your part to protect the integrity of your product. By saying, "Oh no, you have to pay him." is just dumb, IMO. He should draw at least 5 games for this, especially with his pattern of behavior, and all the money should go to charity.

hawkjt
06-25-2010, 09:12 PM
BigZ was throwing 93-94 mph after the TCQ homer...he was visibly jacked up...before the homer,he was topping out at 90. I think he has lost some arm the last couple of years.

I just hope the Cubs do not rally around this incident...it has happened before...in fact, some say the Sox rallied after the alleged confrontation between Ozzie and Kenny.

Just hope the Cubs lie down for two more games,then they can go do whatever.

DLee is one of the good guys in the game...glad he called Z out on his crap.

Hendry was strong in his condemnation of Z. Said they will play with 24 no problems...cannot tolerate his behavior.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Derrek Lee reminds me of Jim Thome - both class acts, both highly respected by the fans and players. How big of an ass do you have to be to piss one of them off?

Anyway, it's a shame - Zambrano, when he's on, has a lot of talent. He reminds me a lot of Bradley.

I would like to thank the baseball gods for Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, and Garcia, none of whom I can ever imagine pulling antics like this.
How true. Even AJ is a wise-ass only to the opposing team.

kaufsox
06-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Boers and Bernstein have a great saying, "out of town stupid." The better hope someone gets a really bad case of it and takes Zambrano off their hands.

Boondock Saint
06-25-2010, 09:50 PM
How true. Even AJ is a wise-ass only to the opposing team.

This is a bit of a hijack, but this seems like as good a time as any to mention this. It's funny how, for all the crap AJ gets from non-Sox fans about being a "clubhouse cancer" (I hate that term, by the way), there have been zero incidents between him and his teammates in his five plus years with the Sox.

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2010, 10:01 PM
This is a bit of a hijack, but this seems like as good a time as any to mention this. It's funny how, for all the crap AJ gets from non-Sox fans about being a "clubhouse cancer" (I hate that term, by the way), there have been zero incidents between him and his teammates in his five plus years with the Sox.

That's more indicative of AJ's former teammates than it is of AJ; some of those sorry asshats (Hellooooooo, Brett Tomko!) should take a good long look in a mirror sometime.

gosox41
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM

I think the Union would have a problem with that.

I hope he stickes with the Cubs for the remainder of his contract. Any team that wants to deal with him is insane. He'd crack in NY with all the media scrutiny. He has no respect for the game to follow Jeter into the "Yankee Way" It's all about Big Z.

Bob

DumpJerry
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Right now, I think Zambrano is wanting to be president of the Edwin Jackson Fan Club.

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2010, 11:03 PM
NBC 5 News at 10:00 has Big Z's big eruption as the lead story. They did not show the supposed video of him blowing up at local TV crews.

Brian26
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
NBC 5 News at 10:00 has Big Z's big eruption as the lead story. They did not show the supposed video of him blowing up at local TV crews.

Which is a joke. The lead story right now in Chicago sports is the Sox ten game winning streak.

TDog
06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
I don't see this suspension as good news, despite my dislike for the Cubs. As I read it, it means the Cubs can replace him on the roster for the remainder of the White Sox series.

pearso66
06-25-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't see this suspension as good news, despite my dislike for the Cubs. As I read it, it means the Cubs can replace him on the roster for the remainder of the White Sox series.

It's my understanding they can't replace him unless he is sent down/waived. Hendry even mentioned they will play with 24.

Viva Medias B's
06-26-2010, 12:18 AM
On his Tweets (http://twitter.com/oneyroberto), Oney is in a rather defensive position with Zambrano. Evidently, Zambrano still had that dinner with the Guillen family this evening.

doublem23
06-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Let's kick 'em while they're down.

The thing that's really disgusting about this is how long his behavior was tolerated. A bit hypocritical that they finally do this when he's doing poorly, but let him get away with it when he was putting up ace numbers.

Hi, I'm Professional Sports, have we met?

GoGoCrede
06-26-2010, 12:20 AM
On his Tweets (http://twitter.com/oneyroberto), Oney is in a rather defensive position with Zambrano. Evidently, Zambrano still had that dinner with the Guillen family this evening.

I was worried we wouldn't get his thoughts on the matter. Thank God we have his inside opinion.
:cool:

whitesox4eva
06-26-2010, 01:14 AM
According to ESPN Carlos Zambrano has been suspended indefinitely for his outrageous outburst in the Cubs dugout after the first inning. Here's the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/columns/story?id=5329769

mzh
06-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Already been done
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121246

whitesox4eva
06-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Already been done
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121246

woops sorry mods didn't see it.

doublem23
06-26-2010, 01:30 AM
woops sorry mods didn't see it.

Next time you could at least check the right forum.

whitesox4eva
06-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Next time you could at least check the right forum.

I thought the forum I posted it in was correct, sorry. I'm not used to reading or using any forums on here besides the main one (sox clubhouse) and the gameday ptc forum.

doublem23
06-26-2010, 01:49 AM
I thought the forum I posted it in was correct, sorry. I'm not used to reading or using any forums on here besides the main one (sox clubhouse) and the gameday ptc forum.

Eh, don't worry about it. That's probably the beer... or Jack... or whatever was in those Jello shot typing.

whitesox4eva
06-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Eh, don't worry about it. That's probably the beer... or Jack... or whatever was in those Jello shot typing.

LOL :gulp:

cub killer
06-26-2010, 04:05 AM
Don't cub fans get sick of this drama every season? If it isn't Z, then it was Milton Bradley. Or Sosa before him. Or Soriano's underachieving. Or Ramirez' choking. Or Alou's whining. They've been a mess for as long as I can remember. What a joke of a franchise.

HomeFish
06-26-2010, 04:15 AM
How much longer will Pinella be managing?

Viva Medias B's
06-26-2010, 08:15 AM
How much longer will Pinella be managing?

Unless things really go south for the Cubs, whereby Piniella gets fired or resigns, I think Lou holds on until the end of the year. Then, he'll leave the Cubs and get his position in the Yankees' Tampa front office bureaucracy.

g0g0
06-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Don't cub fans get sick of this drama every season? If it isn't Z, then it was Milton Bradley. Or Sosa before him. Or Soriano's underachieving. Or Ramirez' choking. Or Alou's whining. They've been a mess for as long as I can remember. What a joke of a franchise.

Yes. But really the only reason I've ever been ashamed to be a fan (hence the year off last year) was the whole Sosa juicing debacle. I hate that more than anything. I think too many people get caught up in the 100+ years of no WS and think that drives the futility. There have been some really tough Cubs teams that just haven't gotten it done. Now if I was a Pirates fan I'd really be up **** creek as they basically give anyone on their team away who is showing promise. THAT shows no commitment to winning to me. What the Cubbies have now is bad management and poor team chemistry.

TomBradley72
06-26-2010, 11:41 AM
A better punishment would be to do nothing and force him to face is teammates, be in the locker room, the bullpen, the dugout....allowing him to avoid facing them makes it easier on him vs. tougher.

Ex-Chicagoan
06-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh, and thanks, Sun-Times. "Big Z drama overshadows Sox tenth straight win" ? Uhh, no. It didn't, and doesn't... except in your paper.

GoGoCrede
06-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Oh, and thanks, Sun-Times. "Big Z drama overshadows Sox tenth straight win" ? Uhh, no. It didn't, and doesn't... except in your paper.

I was looking forward to getting my copy of the ST today to read about the 10th straight win. :rolleyes:

Madscout
06-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I was looking forward to getting my copy of the ST today to read about the 10th straight win. :rolleyes:

Looks like we'll just have to make it 11!:bandance:

minutia
06-26-2010, 03:18 PM

Apparently not. One thing I have never liked is their players are either heroes or dogs. They acquire someone, cram him down everyones throats, gloat to Sox fans they know about what idiots the Sox are, etc. Then when the player isn't an instant success or what they thought they pillory the guy. This can be said of every player you listed. It all goes on one guy, not the fact that the whole team can't work as a unit ever. Someone said it earlier, the hypocrisy of the team and their fan base is ridiculous. Zambrano's behavior is normal and others are just rattled by success when he is throwing up ace numbers but now that he hasn't been playing the way they like he needs to be run out of town on a rail.

Red Barchetta
06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes. But really the only reason I've ever been ashamed to be a fan (hence the year off last year) was the whole Sosa juicing debacle. I hate that more than anything. I think too many people get caught up in the 100+ years of no WS and think that drives the futility. There have been some really tough Cubs teams that just haven't gotten it done. Now if I was a Pirates fan I'd really be up **** creek as they basically give anyone on their team away who is showing promise. THAT shows no commitment to winning to me. What the Cubbies have now is bad management and poor team chemistry.

The Pirates need to hire the ex Tribune marketing team responsible for the Cubs. The Pirates have arguably one of the nicest ballparks in baseball, so they need to make losing cool, like the Cubs did!

Red Barchetta
06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Apparently not. One thing I have never liked is their players are either heroes or dogs. They acquire someone, cram him down everyones throats, gloat to Sox fans they know about what idiots the Sox are, etc. Then when the player isn't an instant success or what they thought they pillory the guy. This can be said of every player you listed. It all goes on one guy, not the fact that the whole team can't work as a unit ever. Someone said it earlier, the hypocrisy of the team and their fan base is ridiculous. Zambrano's behavior is normal and others are just rattled by success when he is throwing up ace numbers but now that he hasn't been playing the way they like he needs to be run out of town on a rail.

Remember how great Fukadome was after his first game with the Cubs? it was the second coming of Ichiro! :rolleyes:

Flight #24
06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Coop'll fix him.

Seriously, the Cubs are now going to bend over, eat a TON of salary, and dump him on some (likely NL) unsuspecting franchise. What'll be hilarious is if he actually plays for a manager who chews his ass out on a regular basis and a pitching coach who can get him to focus, he could be a solid starter. And he can be had cheap.

It'd be a vintage KW move - IF he isn't generally as much of an ass in the clubhouse as he is when he flips out.

thomas35forever
06-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Heading back to the 'pen upon returning:
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5331982

Viva Medias B's
06-26-2010, 10:15 PM
It'd be a vintage KW move - IF he isn't generally as much of an ass in the clubhouse as he is when he flips out.

I wouldn't want Zambrano on our team even if Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy, and Garcia all went on the 60-day DL needing Tommy John surgery.

SI1020
06-26-2010, 11:37 PM
The Pirates need to hire the ex Tribune marketing team responsible for the Cubs. The Pirates have arguably one of the nicest ballparks in baseball, so they need to make losing cool, like the Cubs did! One great post.

Remember how great Fukadome was after his first game with the Cubs? it was the second coming of Ichiro! :rolleyes: Make that 2 in a row.

SI1020
06-26-2010, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't want Zambrano on our team even if Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy, and Garcia all went on the 60-day DL needing Tommy John surgery. I agree. I don't want anything to do with him under any circumstances. I also think his best pitching days are behind him.

tebman
06-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't want Zambrano on our team even if Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy, and Garcia all went on the 60-day DL needing Tommy John surgery.

Zambrano needs professional help. When Donald Duck pitches a fit like that, it's funny. When Zambrano does it, it's bizarre.

There is no way that guy should ever be part of a trade discussion with the White Sox.

Bobby Thigpen
06-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Coop'll fix him.

Seriously, the Cubs are now going to bend over, eat a TON of salary, and dump him on some (likely NL) unsuspecting franchise. What'll be hilarious is if he actually plays for a manager who chews his ass out on a regular basis and a pitching coach who can get him to focus, he could be a solid starter. And he can be had cheap.

If they could lobotomize him, the Cardinals could probably work wonders with the guy.

But since he won't buy into what anyone's selling, he'll just become another really talented what if question.

doublem23
06-27-2010, 01:26 AM

THE ONLY reason I would even consider taking a flyer on Zambrano (we're talking, the Cubs basically giving him away for nothing) is because of Z's relationship with Ozzie. Maybe he can control him a bit better? I think Lou is basically in Zombie, I'm just here to get a paycheck mode. He just sits in the dugout and blankly stares at the field. I don't think he has any desire to get in fights with lunatic pitchers or crybaby outfielders any more.

That being said, considering our pitching depth, it's not an area we need to focus on. Maye Big Z can be our DH? :tongue: Maybe getting to go out and get some hits everyday will help him work through the angries?

palehozenychicty
06-27-2010, 02:33 AM
He'd be a great fit for the Dodgers, but the McCourts' legal battle is killing their purse strings.

RadioheadRocks
06-27-2010, 02:55 AM
Zambozo apparently still passing the buck, according to this article:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/2437036,CST-SPT-cub27.article

Asshat.

Boondock Saint
06-27-2010, 08:05 AM
**** you, Carlos.

Viva Medias B's
06-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out, Carlos.

pearso66
06-27-2010, 11:22 AM
It's funny, I have 1 Cub fan friend who both him and his wife were saying that it's about time someone went crazy in the dugout, trying to motivate the team. It's one thing if Lou were to yell like Ozzie does, but Zambrano going nuts over tough plays and have to be restrained is not the same thing.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I've watched the blow-up several times and you can definitely see Lee tell Zambrano to "shut the **** up" as Z. goes off down the dugout. (I can't tell what Z. is saying before that, but it was in Spanish.) Then Z. turns and focusses on Lee in the face-to-face and Lou etc. intervene.

So Z.'s side is spinning this to say that he was just pumping the team up until Lee spoke? Wrong for two reasons: first, the content (according to reports) and demeanor were way off, and second, even if that was Z.'s intent, Lee has just as much right to tell him to shut up as Z. has to scream.

I agee with Tebman: professional help is needed.

soltrain21
06-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Zambozo apparently still passing the buck, according to this article:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/2437036,CST-SPT-cub27.article

Asshat.

The picture they used of him is hilarious.

TornLabrum
06-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I've watched the blow-up several times and you can definitely see Lee tell Zambrano to "shut the **** up" as Z. goes off down the dugout. (I can't tell what Z. is saying before that, but it was in Spanish.) Then Z. turns and focusses on Lee in the face-to-face and Lou etc. intervene.

So Z.'s side is spinning this to say that he was just pumping the team up until Lee spoke? Wrong for two reasons: first, the content (according to reports) and demeanor were way off, and second, even if that was Z.'s intent, Lee has just as much right to tell him to shut up as Z. has to scream.

I agee with Tebman: professional help is needed.

The way Zambrano stomped on the base shows that he was blaming Lee for the inning (despite his giving up the HR all by himself). He wasn't trying to pump up the team. He was POed at Lee and acting like a two-year-old.

Hitmen77
06-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Which is a joke. The lead story right now in Chicago sports is the Sox ten game winning streak.

I can see the Zambrano thing being the top sports story on Friday, but on Saturday on Channel 5 it was still the top story....and I think it was the top overall story, not just the top sports story. That's a joke.

They didn't even mention the 3-2 Sox win (in their news segment) in their Day 2 coverage of the "Big Z Meltdown".

Now that the Cubs won today, I guess it's safe for them to turn the focus back on to the game in tonight's coverage. :tongue:

RadioheadRocks
06-27-2010, 08:59 PM
It's funny, I have 1 Cub fan friend who both him and his wife were saying that it's about time someone went crazy in the dugout, trying to motivate the team. It's one thing if Lou were to yell like Ozzie does, but Zambrano going nuts over tough plays and have to be restrained is not the same thing.

Delusion apparently knows no bounds :rolleyes:

TDog
06-27-2010, 09:46 PM
It's my understanding they can't replace him unless he is sent down/waived. Hendry even mentioned they will play with 24.

It seems odd that a team would simply give up a roster spot by telling a pitcher not to bother to show up to the ballpark. If they're going to suspend him, I would think they would put hm on the restricted list.

theamb
06-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Zambrano is the Milton Bradley of pitchers and The Cubs will absolutely find a taker for him. The talent is certainly there.

However, it remains to be seen how much money they will have to eat and the return they recieve.

To their credit, the swap for Silva has turned out great for them. In between all the laughing and sudden Bradley apologists that showed up here after the fact.

russ99
06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
What a joke. Nice job not taking any responsibility Zambozo.

Guy goes into the dugout screaming and raving and that's to "fire up the team"? Funny. Not sure if calling you teammates quitters would ever do that.

Mohoney
06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
If the Cubs really wanted to be rid of Zambrano, would they have recourse to drug test him and hope that he tests positive for amphetamines?

That would be 50 games without pay if he tests positive, right?

thomas35forever
06-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Big Z going on the restricted list.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100628&content_id=11688690&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Red Barchetta
06-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Maybe, big Z and Ozzie had a sidebet as to who pays for dinner based on who won the game?! :tongue:

Viva Medias B's
06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Big Z going on the restricted list.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100628&content_id=11688690&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Well, there is a lot of evidence that Zambrano has serious anger management issues, and perhaps this will help him deal with that.