PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays home games in Philly.

EnglishChiSox
06-25-2010, 04:37 PM
The Jays will play some home games vs the Phillies this weekend but in Philly because of an event which i shan't name. The Blue Jays will take the last at bat and DH's will be used, but in an NL park.

Why Philadelphia though?, why not move the games to a neutral venue?, the Jays will be playing 84 away and 78 home games this season. Yeah they have the last at bat but it's going to be a Philly crowd and familiar conditions for the Phils.

Fenway
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
The Jays will play some home games vs the Phillies this weekend but in Philly because of an event which i shan't name. The Blue Jays will take the last at bat and DH's will be used, but in an NL park.

Why Philadelphia though?, why not move the games to a neutral venue?, the Jays will be playing 84 away and 78 home games this season. Yeah they have the last at bat but it's going to be a Philly crowd and familiar conditions for the Phils.

Toronto gets the gate money which they can use

peelwonder
06-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Why not name it? It's the G20 summit.

spawn
06-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Why not name it? It's the G20 summit.
He erred on the side of caution.

EnglishChiSox
06-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Toronto gets the gate money which they can use

They only are getting half according to mlb.com

TDog
06-25-2010, 06:33 PM
They only are getting half according to mlb.com

That's still more dollars than they would get at a neutral site.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm sure the G20 summit was planned for Toronto long before the Blue Jays schedule even came out for this year. So why was this series even scheduled in Toronto?

DonnieDarko
06-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Why is the G20 summit forcing the Blue Jays to find a new home venue temporarily? Is the summit itself taking place in their stadium?

Fenway
06-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Don't blame MLB

This summit was supposed to be a G8 and held 2 hours north of Toronto. When it was changed to a G20 they decided to move it to Toronto.

Everybody in TO is furious as subways were shutdown, tourists were not allowed in certain parts of the city and downtown is pretty much locked down.

I remember in 1989 when the Shriners Parade shut down Toronto to end their convention but only problem is July 4th is a workday in TO.

Red Sox had played in the just opened Skydome and we had no way to get to the airport as the Royal York was closed off. I was tempted to steal one of the Shriners little cars and make a mad dash down the QEW :)

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't want to get political but why would any city want to host the
G-20 with all the crazy protesters destroying things and starting fires etc,etc in the host city.

theamb
06-27-2010, 10:45 PM
After the riots in Toronto, looks like MLB made the right decision after all

Sure, they could've found an alternate spot. But at least they could draw fans in Philadelphia as opposed to putting it somewhere in Maine.

downstairs
06-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't want to get political but why would any city want to host the
G-20 with all the crazy protesters destroying things and starting fires etc,etc in the host city.

Yeah, politics aside... why on Earth would any city want these summits? I can't believe they bring in that much business, and relative to the costs of security, seems like a losing proposition.

Who knows, there may be some "rule" that if you want to be a part of these groups, your nation has to host the summit on a rotating basis.

C-Dawg
06-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, politics aside... why on Earth would any city want these summits? I can't believe they bring in that much business, and relative to the costs of security, seems like a losing proposition.

I agree; they seem to attract nothing but troublemakers and ne'er-do-wells with too much time on their hands.

kittle42
06-28-2010, 07:17 PM
After the riots in Toronto, looks like MLB made the right decision after all

Toronto was just like a normal sports evening in Philly!