PDA

View Full Version : CKGM Montreal reporting A's talking to Quebec government

Fenway
06-25-2010, 01:10 PM
CKGM in Montreal is reporting that A's owner Lew Wolff is in Quebec City talking to Jean Charest, Premier of Quebec about moving the A's to Montreal.

The government is floating a plan that would build the park at the site of the now closed Hippodrome de Montréal and would be funded by using provincial income tax of the players, employees and construction workers.

Wolfe would also been given land near the old Forum de Montreal to construct a retail complex.

This is a perfect site being on both a main expressway and a subway line and it is much closer to the anglophone population than Stade Olympique was. The station is reporting that former Expos owner Charles Bronfman is involved as well.

IF this happens the A's would have to be put in the AL East and it would most likely mean Tampa to the Central and KC to the West.

Stay tuned

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hippodrome+montreal&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.371289,56.337891&ie=UTF8&hq=hippodrome&hnear=Montreal,+Communaut%C3%A9-Urbaine-de-Montr%C3%A9al,+Quebec,+Canada&ll=45.520301,-73.610458&spn=0.102234,0.22007&z=12&lci=transit_comp

MeteorsSox4367
06-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Bring back the Expos! That would be incredibly cool.

downstairs
06-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Awesome. I'm hoping Montreal gets a team back.

Its a great city, and dispite popular misconception- they can draw crowds if the team is doing well. Like most teams not named Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees.

soltrain21
06-25-2010, 01:19 PM
http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/baseball/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/youppi.jpg
Doncha want me baybay? Doncha want me nooooowwwowww?

Fenway
06-25-2010, 01:22 PM

Its a great city, and dispite popular misconception- they can draw crowds if the team is doing well. Like most teams not named Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees.

The A's have to do something.

Certainly is creative financing...that tax money wouldn't exist unless the team was there anyways so really no public dollars are being offered. With the loonie now almost par with the USD and media optons that didn't exist before it just might work. Look just being in the same division as NYY, Boston and Toronto will spike home attendance.

pythons007
06-25-2010, 01:52 PM
The A's have to do something.

Certainly is creative financing...that tax money wouldn't exist unless the team was there anyways so really no public dollars are being offered. With the loonie now almost par with the USD and media optons that didn't exist before it just might work. Look just being in the same division as NYY, Boston and Toronto will spike home attendance.

Small market really doesn't work too well over in the AL East. Unless you have a lot of good young talent. A's will get murdered.

Iwritecode
06-25-2010, 02:00 PM
CKGM in Montreal is reporting that A's owner Lew Wolff is in Quebec City talking to Jean Charest, Premier of Quebec about moving the A's to Montreal.

The government is floating a plan that would build the park at the site of the now closed Hippodrome de Montréal and would be funded by using provincial income tax of the players, employees and construction workers.

Wolfe would also been given land near the old Forum de Montreal to construct a retail complex.

This is a perfect site being on both a main expressway and a subway line and it is much closer to the anglophone population than Stade Olympique was. The station is reporting that former Expos owner Charles Bronfman is involved as well.

IF this happens the A's would have to be put in the AL East and it would most likely mean Tampa to the Central and KC to the West.

Stay tuned

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hippodrome+montreal&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.371289,56.337891&ie=UTF8&hq=hippodrome&hnear=Montreal,+Communaut%C3%A9-Urbaine-de-Montr%C3%A9al,+Quebec,+Canada&ll=45.520301,-73.610458&spn=0.102234,0.22007&z=12&lci=transit_comp

That would suck for Tampa to play half their schedule in a different time zone.

SI1020
06-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Small market really doesn't work too well over in the AL East. Unless you have a lot of good young talent. A's will get murdered. I agree. Unless all the stars align well this is a move that sooner or later will fail. I'm not a Bay Area resident and never have been. I don't know very many of the details concerning the A's current predicament. I just have to believe that all things being equal I'd rather be second banana there than try to make a go of it in the frozen north land of Quebec. Perhaps some Bay Area posters here can educate me.

g0g0
06-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Sounds like you are describing fair weather fans to me.

pythons007
06-25-2010, 02:54 PM

I personally think if this would be the case there would be more movement. Maybe you'll see Milwaukee come back to the AL instead of having TB come to the central and have the AL East have 6 teams.

WizardsofOzzie
06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Just because you choose not to attend the game because there is an inferior product on the field, does not make you a fair weather fan. You can still watch on TV, check the box scores in the morning, read the news articles, etc and still be a fan without shelling out hundreds of dollars to watch an inferior product play a game of baseball.

doublem23
06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Bring back the Expos! That would be incredibly cool.

I'm sure the new team would have a new name, since the Nationals would have to get paid to give up their rights to the Expos trademark.

soltrain21
06-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm sure the new team would have a new name, since the Nationals would have to get paid to give up their rights to the Expos trademark.

Yeah, and don't the Nationals have the "history" of the Expos, too?

hi im skot
06-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Sounds like just about every team/fanbase in baseball.

thomas35forever
06-25-2010, 03:07 PM
This is perfect! The A's can become the Expos and move to the NL, switching leagues with the Marlins so the Marlins can lose the World Series to the Cubs in 2015!

DSpivack
06-25-2010, 03:13 PM
This is perfect! The A's can become the Expos and move to the NL, switching leagues with the Marlins so the Marlins can lose the World Series to the Cubs in 2015!

:rolling:

g0g0
06-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Just because you choose not to attend the game because there is an inferior product on the field, does not make you a fair weather fan. You can still watch on TV, check the box scores in the morning, read the news articles, etc and still be a fan without shelling out hundreds of dollars to watch an inferior product play a game of baseball.

True, but I wonder how many of those people not attending are actually following the team closely. I would say not many.

g0g0
06-25-2010, 03:31 PM

I'll take it!

Red Barchetta
06-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Wow! The Philadephia, Kansas City, Oakland and now Montreal Athletics!? :scratch:

Fenway
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
A's couldn't be the A's in Montreal

French language doesn't have 's

TheOldRoman
06-25-2010, 05:33 PM

Its a great city, and dispite popular misconception- they can draw crowds if the team is doing well. Like most teams not named Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees.You can narrow that list down to just the Cubs. The Red Sox were nothing until about 10 years ago, and the Yankees were drawing so poorly in the 80s that Steinbrenner was whining they couldn't compete and needed to build a new stadium in New Jersey. The Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees resurrgence in fan bases started around the same time, but the difference is the Cubs are the only one who has been mostly terrible. Neither Yankees or Red Sox fans would be filling up the park like the blue sheep if those teams suck for several years in a row.

That would suck for Tampa to play half their schedule in a different time zone.The Rangers say hi. And they play all those games TWO timezones over.

Also, I imagine if this happens the A's would keep the name. They have been the Athletics across 110 years and three cities.

TDog
06-25-2010, 05:51 PM

Les Expos has historical significance that is lost on most people and would mean nothing to the A's. The team wasn't named for your freshman college expository writing course, but Expo '67, although the team didn't play its first game until 1969.

The old International League Montreal team that Jackie Robinson first played for after signing with the Dodgers was the Royals, Montreal being French for Mount Royal. The Athletics is a generic enough name that has traveled from the east coast to the west coast with a stop in America's heartland. I don't think the name would change if the A's move. As much as I hate the A's, I think there would be justice in banishing them from the country.

And, really, I have to wonder what drug must have influenced Charlie Finley's decision to move a major league baseball team to Oakland. The Bay Area already had a successful team in the Giants, and they already had San Francisco. I mean, Oakland?

The A's seem to be big in the Valley, but I don't know that Sacramento could support a major league team. With the financial conditions in California, no community is going to build you a stadium, and the California League and Pacific Coast League ballparks are far from major-league ready.

I honestly don't know what is going to happen, but I doubt the A's ownership will get the answers they need to make Quebec Athletics country. My French is so rusty that I've forgotten the French equivalent.

TheVulture
06-25-2010, 06:01 PM

Why Tampa in the Central as opposed to Toronto? Or Montreal for that matter.

TheVulture
06-25-2010, 06:03 PM

There are two central teams already in the Eastern time zone. One more would it make it a majority.

Shoeless
06-25-2010, 06:13 PM
It all makes sense now....

soxfanreggie
06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/baseball/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/youppi.jpg
Doncha want me baybay? Doncha want me nooooowwwowww?

I about just spit out my drink...hilarious!

akingamongstmen
06-25-2010, 08:32 PM

This is the only scenario where I would be ok with the Cubs winning the World Series, but I'm also going to need a flying skateboard, too.

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2010, 09:17 PM
This does not make sense. First of all, would you want both of Canada's teams in the AL East? I realize that in the NHL, the Maple Leafs and Canadiens are in the same division, but this is different. Second, the A's and/or Montreal would have to build a new outdoor stadium for the A's. Stade Olympique would not be adequate.

slavko
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM

Les Athletiques!

PalehosePlanet
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Les Expos has historical significance that is lost on most people and would mean nothing to the A's. The team wasn't named for your freshman college expository writing course, but Expo '67, although the team didn't play its first game until 1969.

The old International League Montreal team that Jackie Robinson first played for after signing with the Dodgers was the Royals, Montreal being French for Mount Royal. The Athletics is a generic enough name that has traveled from the east coast to the west coast with a stop in America's heartland. I don't think the name would change if the A's move. As much as I hate the A's, I think there would be justice in banishing them from the country.

And, really, I have to wonder what drug must have influenced Charlie Finley's decision to move a major league baseball team to Oakland. The Bay Area already had a successful team in the Giants, and they already had San Francisco. I mean, Oakland?

The A's seem to be big in the Valley, but I don't know that Sacramento could support a major league team. With the financial conditions in California, no community is going to build you a stadium, and the California League and Pacific Coast League ballparks are far from major-league ready.

I honestly don't know what is going to happen, but I doubt the A's ownership will get the answers they need to make Quebec Athletics country. My French is so rusty that I've forgotten the French equivalent.

If not Sacramento, what about San Jose? I know they have a population of over a million.

Is the San Jose area divided, fans base wise, between The Giants and A's? Or do they not really follow baseball.

cards press box
06-25-2010, 10:52 PM

Why Tampa in the Central as opposed to Toronto? Or Montreal for that matter.

Toronto-Detroit is a natural rivalry (and a long time rivalry in hockey) and placing the Jays in the AL Central makes more sense than putting Tampa there.

Why not? The Minneapolis Lakers became the L.A. Lakers and the New Orleans Jazz became the Utah Jazz. Nobody seems to mind.

Even without a plural possessive apostrophe in French, the Montreal A's sounds pretty cool. More importantly, it would be good to have Montreal continue its baseball tradition.

doublem23
06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Les Athletiques!

That would actually be the sweetest nickname in all of sports.

Hitmen77
06-25-2010, 11:37 PM
How about just move the A's back to Philadelphia?

I am just joking, but I wonder if Philadelphia could support a 2nd team again. It's still one of the largest metro areas in the US and Philly fans are crazy about sports.

Northern NJ would be a good location for a team --- but the rights to that area might belong to the Yankees and Mets.

I know some posters here like to recall some good attendance years in the 1980s for the Expos, but I still have doubts that baseball can succeed in Montreal. No team would move there without a new stadium at any rate.

The Athletics/A's name and history is just too rich to get rid of. This is a franchise that has won 9 World Series titles and a bunch of division titles since division play began.

Their name is much bigger in MLB history than the Expos - which I always thought was a terrible name anyway.

slavko
06-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Even without a plural possessive apostrophe in French, the Montreal A's sounds pretty cool. More importantly, it would be good to have Montreal continue its baseball tradition.

A's is not actually a plural possessive apostrophe. It's the English custom of placing an apostrophe before the "s" when pluralizing something that's not a word, like a letter of the alphabet or an abbreviation. (I wore my BVD's when I went bear hunting.) (Quentin had three RBI's tonight.)

monkeypants
06-26-2010, 03:15 AM
I'd call the new team the Montreal Youcaneatbuffet.

Fenway
06-26-2010, 08:08 AM
This does not make sense. First of all, would you want both of Canada's teams in the AL East? I realize that in the NHL, the Maple Leafs and Canadiens are in the same division, but this is different. Second, the A's and/or Montreal would have to build a new outdoor stadium for the A's. Stade Olympique would not be adequate.

The Expos never had a natural rival in the NL.

Toronto being 330 miles away would be a plus and fans from eastern Ontario would have an easy drive on the 401.

The Yankees are huge in upstate New York (The Mets not at all) and they would attract fans from Syracuse and Albany.

Boston is 310 miles away and Vermont and New Hampshire are even closer.

Montreal is by far the largest open market and by starting fresh the damage done by Brochu and Loria can be forgiven.

The media climate has changed and French sports outlet RDS says they would pay decent money for the rights.

Most Quebecois under 40 are fluent in both languages now and the Habs only show about half their games in english. CBC seldom carries the Habs on Saturday night as even the anglophones watch RDS to avoid Don Cherry who is despised by everyone in Quebec.

Obvious a new park at the former Blue Bonnetts harness track is the key but that location alone would be 1000 times better than the Stade.

The Expos name actually came from a New York sportswriter (Dick Young)

Royals was the name they wanted but Kansas City grabbed it a few months before the Expos were born.

The Nationals have totally ignored the Montreal history much like Texas has done with Washington.

The A's have always had problems getting a good radio deal while the Giants are on clear channel KNBR and the A's are also stuck on CSN-California which is Sacremento while the Giants live on CSN-Bay Area.

Finley knew Oakland was a bad choice when they drew less than 10,000 in their second ever home game.

hawkjt
06-26-2010, 08:41 AM
KC gets screwed again if this happens. Personally, I would hate to see the Royals,a midwestern team,get shuttled to the west.
Anywhere else on the west coast? Portland? San Jose?

I would be ok with it if the Brewers were to join the AL Central. Put the Rays in the NL Central...:D:

soxinem1
06-26-2010, 09:12 AM
The speculation is actually quite fantastic, as I always felt the strike screwed MON over more than any other team.

However:

Would MLB move a struggling franchise to a city that just five years ago lost it's team?

Would the other MLB teams consent to what we all seem to agree would be a major realignment concerning the layout of divisions? The A's moving to Montreal would effect every team in the sport?

And finally, IIRC, neither Montreal's government nor their citizens had any interest in building a new stadium for a team that was born in Canada, and outright abandoned them attendance wise even before they announced plans to move to Washington.

Fan support has plagued the Athletics franchise since inception, which why they left their previous home cities and are about to do so again.

Honestly, I think Las Vegas or San Jose would be better and less complication destinations, though the idea of balancing out the leagues team wise would be nice, especially if MIL went back to the AL.

I would love to see the Brewer-White Sox rivalry reborn!!!:bandance::bandance:

chisox616
06-26-2010, 12:02 PM
But, that Green & Yellow...the A's are the only team in the league that have that color! We need more diversity!

I say, threaten to move the team if they don't get rid of the Alt-Black uniforms and white shoes. Keep the A's, for the sake of color diversity!

MisterB
06-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Since San Jose has been brought up a couple of times in this thread, it should be noted that before the Giants finally decided on building AT&T Park, they were considering building in Santa Clara (SJ's neighbor). At that time, MLB ruled that the South Bay was "Giants territory", and that decision would have to be reversed if the A's were to move there. And you can bet that the Giants would fight it tooth and nail.

JermaineDye05
06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
KC to the West and TB to the Central makes no sense to me. Can we just go back to an AL and an NL and just have the four best teams from each make the playoffs?

Zisk77
06-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Why not move to Las Vegas, Nashville, New Orleans, Portland, or Charlotte instead? :scratch: Or Mexico City.

MikeW
06-26-2010, 03:20 PM
This is crazy, but this is what I would like to see. Move Oakland to Montreal and transfer them to the NL East, Move Washington back to the AL East,switch Toronto to the AL central and KC to the West to replace the A's. This would put some old time matchups back in place. You can tell that I am an oldtimer who remembers the Senators playing against the Sox.

Railsplitter
06-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Les Athletiques!
Oui

Hitmen77
06-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Interesting that the A's have had such trouble drawing and might have to move to their 4th city considering that they are one of the more successful MLB teams over the years.

They won 5 championships in Philadelphia in the early years and yet they left town instead of the Phillies (who were one of the "losingest" franchises back then and didn't win a WS until 1980.

The A's had lean years over their last couple of decades in Phily and then in KC (no pennants between 1931 and 1972), but they've been rather successful on the field in Oakland. This franchise has the 3rd most World Series titles (9) after the Yankees and Cardinals (10).

Regarding any talk about them moving and re-alignment: all I have to say is that I'm not looking forward to Toronto or Tampa Bay moving to the AL Central. We finally have the Twins outdoors and on natural grass and we'd have to go through playing 9 games on fake turf every year against a division rival again? No thanks!

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2010, 08:41 PM
If the A's move East, it might we worthwhile to realign the five remaining West Coast teams into one division.

Houston, Colorado and Arizona move to the AL West. Seattle and LAA move to the NL West. TB moves to the NL East. Athletics move to AL East.

NL West: SEA, SF, LAA, LAD, SD (5)
AL West: TEX, HOU, COL, ARI (4) (Call it the "Southwest Division")
NL Central: CHC, MIL, STL, PIT, CIN (5)
AL Central: CWS, MIN, KC, DET, CLE (5)
NL East: PHI, ATL, NYM, FLA, TB, WAS (6)
AL East: NYY, BOS, TOR, MON, BAL (5)

soxinem1
06-26-2010, 09:27 PM
This is crazy, but this is what I would like to see. Move Oakland to Montreal and transfer them to the NL East, Move Washington back to the AL East,switch Toronto to the AL central and KC to the West to replace the A's. This would put some old time matchups back in place. You can tell that I am an oldtimer who remembers the Senators playing against the Sox.

Even though this franchise was never in the AL I see what you mean.

But both BAL and WAS in the same division? :scratch:

If the A's move East, it might we worthwhile to realign the five remaining West Coast teams into one division.

Houston, Colorado and Arizona move to the AL West. Seattle and LAA move to the NL West. TB moves to the NL East. Athletics move to AL East.

NL West: SEA, SF, LAA, LAD, SD (5)
AL West: TEX, HOU, COL, ARI (4) (Call it the "Southwest Division")
NL Central: CHC, MIL, STL, PIT, CIN (5)
AL Central: CWS, MIN, KC, DET, CLE (5)
NL East: PHI, ATL, NYM, FLA, TB, WAS (6)
AL East: NYY, BOS, TOR, MON, BAL (5)

Do you really think LAD and LAAAAAAA would like that idea??

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Do you really think LAD and LAAAAAAA would like that idea??

I think they would like the reduced travel; all their divisional games would be on the West Coast and in the same time zone.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-26-2010, 10:06 PM
If the A's move to Canada, would they become the Eh's?

ChicagoG19
06-26-2010, 11:32 PM
They should just move the team to Portland to make things less complicated. That city has shown it can support a Pro, so why not give them another one.

SI1020
06-27-2010, 09:13 AM
If the A's move to Canada, would they become the Eh's? You deserve some credit for that one.

munchman33
06-27-2010, 09:30 AM

:rolling:

Fenway
06-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Part of the problem lies from the fact the Diamondbacks who were suppose to move to the AL begged Selig to stay in the NL because of LAD.

SEA would fight a Portland team because it would cut into TV money they now get from Oregon.

The A's only drew 10,000 last Friday vs Pittsburgh. The A's have a few fans on the SF side and while BART makes it easy to go there the Mausoleum is just hideous to go to. There is nothing there before or after the game.

Finley plotted and plotted to somehow move the A's to Chicago and was certain the White Sox were gone to Milwaukee or Denver. He even signed a deal with Louisville and the other AL owners said nope. Finley never saw a long term future in KC and bought the team to move it just as Loria did with Montreal.

A Montreal reporter for a French paper got Selig to admit that contraction of the Expos and Twins was only meant to spur new stadium construction. Selig knew what Loria was up to as he was looking at the Meadowlands and Steinbrenner would allow it as long as the new YES Network had the TV rights. The Mets were powerless as MLB franchise territories use counties and Queens was not adjacent to NJ (but the Bronx is)

The Red Sox sale screwed up everything as now Selig needed a buyer for the Marlins so John Henry could buy Boston. Selig was more concerned that if Henry couldn't unload the Marlins, the Dolans would get Boston which he did not want.

So in a creative deal - Loria winds up with the Marlins and MLB the Expos. However Loria was able to keep the Expos spring training site and scouting staff and on paper the Marlins are the old Expos franchise (except for players) as 10 percent of the Marlins is still owned by Quebec interests.

THEN MLB (Selig) refused to sell the team to Montreal people for what MLB 'paid' for it seeing mega-dollars in DC.

MLB did everything they could to kill what remaining interest there was in the Expos by putting games in San Juan. Still fans in Quebec watched and when in the first year on MLB ownership the team was in the playoff hunt fans tried to come back. In late August there was an afternoon game with the Phillies that had a walk up crowd of over 20,000 fans. MLB was terrified that the Expos could make the playoffs that Selig refused to let the team call up anybody on Sept 1 or make any kind of deal they could.

The Expos fanbase dealt with the worst stadium in MLB, the 94 strike and the final kicker trading Pedro to Boston for a bag of balls. As much as they loved Nos Amours they were not going to fork over hard earned loonies to carpetbaggers.

Hitmen77
06-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I think they would like the reduced travel; all their divisional games would be on the West Coast and in the same time zone.

There is no way MLB would want the crosstown Los Angeles teams in the same league.

They should just move the team to Portland to make things less complicated. That city has shown it can support a Pro, so why not give them another one.

Portland might be a big enough market, but I believe in the past they have refused to spend tax dollars for a publicly financed stadium.

TDog
06-27-2010, 11:37 AM
... Portland might be a big enough market, but I believe in the past they have refused to spend tax dollars for a publicly financed stadium.

I don't know where you're going to find public financing for a stadium these days. AT&T Park wasn't publicly financed, but the A's seem to want a free ride.

Hitmen77
06-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't know where you're going to find public financing for a stadium these days. AT&T Park wasn't publicly financed, but the A's seem to want a free ride.

Agreed - public financing is not too likely these days. I'm not saying it's a bad thing for Portland to say no either - good for them.

Ex-Chicagoan
06-28-2010, 12:21 PM

I may have to steal that. Well played.

ewokpelts
06-28-2010, 12:39 PM
That would suck for Tampa to play half their schedule in a different time zone.tell that to the detroit red wings

ewokpelts
06-28-2010, 12:45 PM

I honestly don't know what is going to happen, but I doubt the A's ownership will get the answers they need to make Quebec Athletics country. My French is so rusty that I've forgotten the French equivalent.the oakland colleseum was built for the raiders. and finley got a chance to go west for free.

simple as that

soxinem1
06-28-2010, 12:54 PM
MLB did everything they could to kill what remaining interest there was in the Expos by putting games in San Juan. Still fans in Quebec watched and when in the first year on MLB ownership the team was in the playoff hunt fans tried to come back. In late August there was an afternoon game with the Phillies that had a walk up crowd of over 20,000 fans. MLB was terrified that the Expos could make the playoffs that Selig refused to let the team call up anybody on Sept 1 or make any kind of deal they could.

The Expos fanbase dealt with the worst stadium in MLB, the 94 strike and the final kicker trading Pedro to Boston for a bag of balls. As much as they loved Nos Amours they were not going to fork over hard earned loonies to carpetbaggers.

Not entirely true. They dealt with CLE for Bartolo Colon that year and he won 20 games by season's end.

But that could have been a front as well, since they shipped him here after the season.

Everything else you stated was right on target.

tebman
06-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Part of the problem lies from the fact the Diamondbacks who were suppose to move to the AL begged Selig to stay in the NL because of LAD.

SEA would fight a Portland team because it would cut into TV money they now get from Oregon.

The A's only drew 10,000 last Friday vs Pittsburgh. The A's have a few fans on the SF side and while BART makes it easy to go there the Mausoleum is just hideous to go to. There is nothing there before or after the game.

Finley plotted and plotted to somehow move the A's to Chicago and was certain the White Sox were gone to Milwaukee or Denver. He even signed a deal with Louisville and the other AL owners said nope. Finley never saw a long term future in KC and bought the team to move it just as Loria did with Montreal.

A Montreal reporter for a French paper got Selig to admit that contraction of the Expos and Twins was only meant to spur new stadium construction. Selig knew what Loria was up to as he was looking at the Meadowlands and Steinbrenner would allow it as long as the new YES Network had the TV rights. The Mets were powerless as MLB franchise territories use counties and Queens was not adjacent to NJ (but the Bronx is)

The Red Sox sale screwed up everything as now Selig needed a buyer for the Marlins so John Henry could buy Boston. Selig was more concerned that if Henry couldn't unload the Marlins, the Dolans would get Boston which he did not want.

So in a creative deal - Loria winds up with the Marlins and MLB the Expos. However Loria was able to keep the Expos spring training site and scouting staff and on paper the Marlins are the old Expos franchise (except for players) as 10 percent of the Marlins is still owned by Quebec interests.

THEN MLB (Selig) refused to sell the team to Montreal people for what MLB 'paid' for it seeing mega-dollars in DC.

Selig really is the weasel king. This is the same stuff he tried to do to Bill Veeck and his investors in late 1975 when Veeck bought the White Sox from John Allyn. The details are in the epilogue of "Veeck As In Wreck," but this is the short version:

* Selig was the front man for the owners to approve/disapprove the sale of the White Sox;
* The White Sox were broke;
* MLB was being sued by Seattle interests for moving the Pilots to Milwaukee (to become Selig's Brewers) after one year in Seattle;
* MLB wanted to move the Sox to Seattle to resolve the Seattle lawsuit and get a nearly bankrupt team off its hands;
* When it was clear MLB would have a huge PR problem refusing the sale to Veeck, Selig's committee told Veeck they had to raise another couple million in little more than a week to be viable;
* Veeck's people raised it anyway, much to Selig's chagrin.

Selig = weasel king.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm curious why this story hasn't been picked up by anyone nationally? I haven't seen it anyplace else and if the A's are considering moving, that's big news.

Lip

Noir
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Lip,

Lew Wolff is not just exploring his options. He is looking for the best deal possible for his team. At the moment, what other city can he go to outside of the Bay Area, and immediately relocate without having a couple of lame duck years in the Coliseum? Moving to Montreal in the same manner that the Nationals did is probably the best thing to do in a business sense.

Whitesox029
07-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Detroit are already in the Central divisions, and Texas would welcome another central time zone team in the West.

If you think every baseball fan has enough money and time to shell out $100+ and 2+ hours to take his family to a game more than 2 or 3 times a year, especially to see a team that is likely to lose, you are sorely mistaken. This is the #1 BS claim about fanbases of teams that don't sell out every one of their games in years when they have bad records (also known as every team in MLB except the Cubs). Remember when Cleveland had that sellout streak? They went 275-180 in those home games for a .604 W%.

True, but I wonder how many of those people not attending are actually following the team closely. I would say not many.
Almost everyone that I know who follows the White Sox closely DOESN'T go to more than 5 games per season, especially when the team is no good. When the team wins, people make an extra effort to get to games. Certain teams that constantly lose and sell out their parks anyway have something else going for them. Namely, the parks themselves. This is sometimes mistaken for an inordinate amount of loyalty. In reality, it is tourism. For example, in my experience, both Chicago teams have approximately the same number of real fans who follow the teams.

Nice. :D:

KC to the West and TB to the Central makes no sense to me. Can we just go back to an AL and an NL and just have the four best teams from each make the playoffs?
Do you really want 75% of future AL Championship Series to be contested by the Yankees and Red Sox? I don't.

TDog
07-01-2010, 02:14 AM

If you don't have divisions, there is no reason to have league playoffs to determine who goes to the World Series.

Nellie_Fox
07-01-2010, 02:28 AM
If you don't have divisions, there is no reason to have league playoffs to determine who goes to the World Series.Why not? For years, the six-team NHL sent the top four teams to the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Go back to just the two leagues, everybody plays everybody the same number of games (scrap interleague) and then let the top four teams in each league play for the right to go to the World Series.

I know it will never happen, and that I'm by far in the minority in wanting this.

Sam Spade
07-01-2010, 02:44 AM
With the recent additional border problems some MLB players have had while traveling to canada, I hope the A's stay in the country. I don't really care where in the country. How about Nashville?

doublem23
07-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Why not? For years, the six-team NHL sent the top four teams to the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Go back to just the two leagues, everybody plays everybody the same number of games (scrap interleague) and then let the top four teams in each league play for the right to go to the World Series.

I know it will never happen, and that I'm by far in the minority in wanting this.

I don't think any sport in their right mind should be modeling itself after the NHL.

Hitmen77
07-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Montreal is by far the largest open market and by starting fresh the damage done by Brochu and Loria can be forgiven.

The media climate has changed and French sports outlet RDS says they would pay decent money for the rights.

Most Quebecois under 40 are fluent in both languages now and the Habs only show about half their games in english. CBC seldom carries the Habs on Saturday night as even the anglophones watch RDS to avoid Don Cherry who is despised by everyone in Quebec.

Obvious a new park at the former Blue Bonnetts harness track is the key but that location alone would be 1000 times better than the Stade.

I know you and a few others like to look back to the days 25-30 years ago when the Expos drew well, but I have my doubts that Montreal could support a team today.

First, hasn't the population mixed changed? Even you mentioned in another thread that a lot of "anglophones" have left Quebec. I would imagine these are the more likely baseball supporters. Having younger "francophones" also know English might not make them interested in an American game or its traditions.

Also, the economics of baseball has changed. Back in the Expos heyday, drawing 2 million people was very competitive. That was an era when KC and Pittsburgh were perennial contenders. Today, that wouldn't be enough in an MLB reality where the top teams are raking in the dough with ticket sales and TV revenue and grabbing the top talent. The A's in Montreal would be in the same boat they are today - having to get rid of good talent whenever it reaches free agency. Worse yet, throwing them into the AL East will make it even less likely that they'd ever make it to the post season.

....and if anyone points to the Rays as proof that a small market teams can succeed vs. the big spenders - that's just hoping for a small market team to catch lightning in a bottle. Even the Rays are facing the prospect of only 1 playoff year for their great core of players before free agency sends them back into oblivion.

The A's have always had problems getting a good radio deal while the Giants are on clear channel KNBR and the A's are also stuck on CSN-California which is Sacremento while the Giants live on CSN-Bay Area.

Finley knew Oakland was a bad choice when they drew less than 10,000 in their second ever home game.I agree that the A's are in a bad location in Oakland, but it's not like the Giants have always owned the Bay Area. In the 1990s it looked like it was the Giants that were going to move out of town. AT&T Park changed everything for them.