PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully at 82 - 60 years in Dodgers booth

Fenway
06-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Saw him last week as he made a rare east coast trip to Boston.

Still I will always remember him for 'little roller behind the bag....'

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/25/sports/baseball/25scully.html?ref=sports

Red Barchetta
06-25-2010, 10:36 AM
I know he is a legend and everything, however I find listening to him call a game exhausting. I was watching a Dodgers game on MLB network and there is no down time. It's like calling a radio broadcast and describing every action the batter is taking...

asindc
06-25-2010, 10:50 AM
I know he is a legend and everything, however I find listening to him call a game exhausting. I was watching a Dodgers game on MLB network and there is no down time. It's like calling a radio broadcast and describing every action the batter is taking...

I think he is both the radio and TV announcer for LAD, much like Chick Hearn was for LAL.

SephClone89
06-25-2010, 11:08 AM
I think he is both the radio and TV announcer for LAD, much like Chick Hearn was for LAL.

He calls all home games and all road games in the NL West (aside from special circumstances like a rare BoSox series or playoffs, etc).

He simulcasts on radio and TV for the first three innings, then switches to TV only.

SI1020
06-25-2010, 11:13 AM
With a few exceptions here and there the modern day PBP and color announcers bore me to tears. I could listen to Vin Scully call a game anytime.

Huisj
06-25-2010, 12:27 PM
With a few exceptions here and there the modern day PBP and color announcers bore me to tears. I could listen to Vin Scully call a game anytime.

I've noticed how boring a lot of announcing crew are lately too from watching lots of late games on mlb.tv. When you have the combo of a fairly young but very trained guy with no personality doing the play-by-play alongside an old former player who sounds like he'd rather be golfing, it makes for some lousy broadcasts.

Then one night I watched part of a Dodgers game, and he was doing it, and it was like music.

As an aside, I've never been a huge Ken Harrelson fan, but listing to the blah-ness in the booth for so many teams at least makes me appreciate his passion and fire if not his rants.

harwar
06-25-2010, 12:37 PM
if you haven't caught him yet be sure to do so because broadcasters like Vin Scully just don't seem to come around anymore .. i'm fairly old and i listened as a boy .. amazing

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Agree, I always thought his broadcasting style was quite boring.

Fenway
06-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Agree, I always thought his broadcasting style was quite boring.

I think this clip is baseball announcing at the highest level

VJdli-ONL-8

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2010, 01:32 PM

VJdli-ONL-8

Have not changed my mind, boring.
Hawk and Harry would be jumping out of their seats.

Vin was much like the guy I grew up listening to White Sox baseball and he was another hall of famer, Bob Elson.
What you got from both of them was just what was happening on the field, players stats and not much else.

Fenway
06-25-2010, 01:38 PM

Vin was much like the guy I grew up listening to White Sox baseball and he was another hall of famer, Bob Elson.
What you got from both of them was just what was happening on the field, players stats and not much else.

The best I ever heard was Ned Martin who called the Red Sox from 1961-93

The nation knows the Dick Stockton call - Bostonians know Ned's

http://www.baseballdirect.com/audio_clips/508a.wav

Other Ned calls of milestones

The pitch is looped toward shortstop. Petrocelli's back. He's got it! The Red Sox win! And there's pandemonium on the field! Listen! - Ned Martin on WHDH radio, calling the final out of the final game of the Red Sox' "Impossible Dream" season at Fenway Park, October 1, 1967

There goes a ground ball...base hit! Number 3000...Yastrzemski's got it! And all hell breaks loose at Fenway Park! - Martin on WSBK-TV, calling Yastrzemski's 3000th base hit at Fenway Park in 1979

A new record! Clemens has set a major league record for strikeouts in a game...20! - Martin on NESN, calling Roger Clemens' record-setting 20th strikeout in one game at Fenway Park, April 29, 1986

I have bought some CD's of complete games from this site

http://www.baseballdirect.com/broadcasts2.html#1970

The broadcast of the 1978 AL East Playoff with Martin and Jim Woods is a must for any fan to listen to.

kba
06-25-2010, 02:34 PM

Hawk might have been jumping out of his seat, but the only thing that came out of his mouth when Buehrle pitched a perfect game was "Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes."

I remember Harry was on radio for the Blue Moon Odom/Francisco Barrios combined no-hitter in 1976, but I can't remember what he said. (It wasn't exactly a "jump out of your seat" game anyway. Despite no-hitting the A's, Odom and Barrios managed to walk eleven guys.) That would have been the only no-hitter Harry called during his long tenure in Chicago.

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Scully is a class act. Would have given anything for him to call the '05 World Series instead of having to endure Buck and McCarver.

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2010, 11:12 PM

I think for an 82-year-old man to be able to do that is pretty good.

And in a moment that still makes me cringe, Scully's call of Kirk Gibson's HR off Dennis Eckersley in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series is classic. Most of us have come to remember Jack Buck's great radio call of Gibson's homer ("I don't believe what I just saw!"), but Scully's "High fly ball into right field, she is gone!" call is classic.

GoGoCrede
06-25-2010, 11:24 PM

This is exactly why I disliked Hawk's call of Buehrle's perfect game. Yelling the same word over and over is not great broadcasting, IMO. He really dropped the ball on that one. Vin Scully is phenomenal.

TornLabrum
06-25-2010, 11:29 PM

VJdli-ONL-8

I agree. That clip is radio broadcasting at its best. Scully may be the best I've ever heard.

Bob Roarman
06-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Wow, if I only had a million dollars for every thread about Vin Scully being described as boring and in which Hawk Harrelson and Harry Caray are compared favorably.