PDA

View Full Version : A Thought About the Current Streak

Brian26
06-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I know the entire "if's and but's" debate is useless since plenty of balls could have bounced the other way in the last couple of weeks for the Good Guys, but...

If the Sox hit a single against Marmol two Sundays ago, we'd possibly be looking at a 14-game winning streak right now.

Anyway, as it stands, nine in a row and 13 out of 14 isn't bad at all.

Shoeless
06-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I know the entire "if's and but's" debate is useless since plenty of balls could have bounced the other way in the last couple of weeks for the Good Guys, but...

If the Sox hit a single against Marmol two Sundays ago, we'd possibly be looking at a 14-game winning streak right now.

13/14 is really close to 14/14

TDog
06-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Forget the single. If Ramirez hits a deep fly to right or center for a sacrifice fly (not to left because the cutoff would be close to third base), he sets up another sacrifice fly with Rios coming up. The Sox didn't need more hits than the Pierre hit to beat the Cubs that night. That is what made the loss so incredibly frustrating.

Brian26
06-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I was just thinking back to the great June of 2000 the White Sox played, centered around the 7-0 roadtrip to Cleveland and NY. That was one of the few periods in my Sox fandom that seemed like they wouldn't lose a game.

Between May 30 and June 19 of that year, the Sox played 19 games and went 17-2.

Currently, the Sox are 14-2 in their last 16 games. A sweep of the Flubs this weekend will match that run by the 2000 Sox.

Brian26
06-24-2010, 08:17 PM
The Sox in June of 2006 also put together a decent run, but not quite as good. Over 18 games, between June 12 and July 1, they went 15-3. The streak ended with two wins against the Northside.

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I was just thinking back to the great June of 2000 the White Sox played, centered around the 7-0 roadtrip to Cleveland and NY. That was one of the few periods in my Sox fandom that seemed like they wouldn't lose a game.

Between May 30 and June 19 of that year, the Sox played 19 games and went 17-2.

Currently, the Sox are 14-2 in their last 16 games. A sweep of the Flubs this weekend will match that run by the 2000 Sox.

They really bashed the ball in that 2000 streak, didn't they score 10 runs in the 1st inning in a game against NY in Yankee Stadium?

Jurr
06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
The Sox in June of 2006 also put together a decent run, but not quite as good. Over 18 games, between June 12 and July 1, they went 15-3. The streak ended with two wins against the Northside.

One thing that makes me feel better about this team in comparison to that one is the bullpen. Yes, Buehrle sucked royally in the second half of '06, but the two headed pukefest of Cotts and Politte really hurt as well. I feel really confident in Santos, Thornton, and Putz. If the starters can keep things close and the offense can scrape together leads, this team can keep on winning the tight games.

For the first time since '05, I really feel that this team's tone is being set by pitching. This is a great thing to see.

Jurr
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
They really bashed the ball in that 2000 streak, didn't they score 10 runs in the 1st inning in a game against NY in Yankee Stadium?

Oh, yes..the Jose Valentin grand slam. A thing of beauty. Just think about that lineup for a moment. Durham at his peak, Maggs, Lee, Paulie, Frank, and Manos all crushing the ball. Herbert Perry delivering clutch hits. It was gorgeous. Too bad there wasn't enough pitching on that roster.

The steroid era was a lot of fun.

Brian26
06-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh, yes..the Jose Valentin grand slam.

The 9-run first inning in Game Four of that series was off El Duque too. He didn't have his magic wand and cape that night.

FielderJones
06-24-2010, 11:51 PM
I feel really confident in Santos, Thornton, and Putz.

How many more consecutive save conversions is it going to take for you to feel really confident in Jenks? His streak is currently at 11.

JB98
06-25-2010, 01:08 AM
How many more consecutive save conversions is it going to take for you to feel really confident in Jenks? His streak is currently at 11.

Yeah, Jenks has been strong the last few weeks, while Santos has really struggled to find the plate. The only reliever who has been better than Jenks lately is Putz.

Zakath
06-25-2010, 08:00 AM

It was 9 in the first inning of the fourth game of the series on June 18. El Duque didn't make it out of that inning. Sox ended up drawing 12 walks in that game to go with 18 hits in winning 17-4.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200006180NYA

They swept the four game series by scores of 12-3, 3-1, 10-9, and 17-4.

hawkjt
06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, Jenks has been strong the last few weeks, while Santos has really struggled to find the plate. The only reliever who has been better than Jenks lately is Putz.

Jenks is in the groove right now, so we have the right guys in the right order coming out of the pen.

I heard Gammons this morning say that the Sox pen have the least innings pitched in the AL Central, and he opined that that would pay dividends in August and Sept. He likes the Sox to compete to the end.

asindc
06-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Jenks is in the groove right now, so we have the right guys in the right order coming out of the pen.

I heard Gammons this morning say that the Sox pen have the least innings pitched in the AL Central, and he opined that that would pay dividends in August and Sept. He likes the Sox to compete to the end.

That was one of the reasons why Santos was so effective early on. Ozzie limited his exposure while trying to find his best role, but started to pitch him more as the rotation struggled longer than any of us thought.