PDA

View Full Version : Turnaround

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
This is a great run we are on, is there any moment that turned this thing around for us? I was going to say splitting the 4 game series with the Rays in the Trop was a defining moment since the Rays were hot and the best team in MLB at the time but we came home and dropped a series to the Rangers and the Indians,then we took 2 out of 3 from Detroit. If we didn't win the Tiger series there could have been some big moves so maybe that was the moment that started all of this. All I can say is "Don't stop now".

PS The Rays have not been the same since that series with the Sox.

DickAllen72
06-24-2010, 04:47 PM
This is a great run we are on, is there any moment that turned this thing around for us? I was going to say splitting the 4 game series with the Rays in the Trop was a defining moment since the Rays were hot and the best team in MLB at the time but we came home and dropped a series to the Rangers and the Indians,then we took 2 out of 3 from Detroit. If we didn't win the Tiger series there could have been some big moves so maybe that was the moment that started all of this. All I can say is "Don't stop now".

PS The Rays have not been the same since that series with the Sox.
I was at the 15-3 game against the Tigers, so I prefer to look back at that game as the turning point of the season. :wink:

Jurr
06-24-2010, 04:48 PM
My one question/concern is this:

It's easy to think big when the team is outrageously hot, much the same as it was easy to proclaim the season as dead when they were miserably cold.

Where is the common ground? Were the Sox just in need of a little confidence, or are we watching the peak of this team's capability?

I am a little concerned about how mentally strong this team is, and there will come a point where that mettle will definitely be tested. I'm hoping that this team is a giant that just finally decided to wake up. We'll see.

Slappy
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm very happy about our current streak. We're hot. As for the Rays are concerned, it happens to the best teams. That's what baseball is, a 162 game marathon.

We need to solve our 2nd base issue fast, and maybe even think about making a move for a 3B if we want to contend. I don't feel confident relying on Dayan. Also, our SP needs to be a lot more consistent.

The team as it is not a championship team. No way.

BadBobbyJenks
06-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I think it is pretty obvious. The horrible offense we have had overshadowed the real problem; we were suppose to have one of the 5 best rotations in the AL and they were awful. The pitching then gets in a groove together and even with 4 runs a game we still go on a crazy run.

This team was built around a great pitching staff that would hopefully scrape across enough runs.

NoNeckEra
06-24-2010, 05:42 PM
I think it is pretty obvious. The horrible offense we have had overshadowed the real problem; we were suppose to have one of the 5 best rotations in the AL and they were awful. The pitching then gets in a groove together and even with 4 runs a game we still go on a crazy run.

This team was built around a great pitching staff that would hopefully scrape across enough runs.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Hitmen77
06-24-2010, 07:25 PM

Good post. We've had a pretty good thing going with all 5 starters on a roll and then Putz, Thornton, and Jenks being great to close things out in the pen. I don't know if they'll be able to keep that up, but at least all those guys have the potential to be this good.

The offense has come around. Carlos has come alive and Pierre and AJ no longer hovering around .200. Vizquel stepping up offensively and providing solid defense. But there's still some glaring holes. I know Kotsay has been swing a hot bat of late, but I doubt he'll keep that up over the long haul. Beckham has had an awful season.

So, it has indeed been our pitching finally coming through and carrying us. I hope that's enough to carry us to the post season. But, we still need to address some of the holes in our lineup. Will Viciedo step in and fill some of that void? Will Beckham finally gain traction? I guess we'll see over the coming weeks.

sox1970
06-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I was at the 15-3 game against the Tigers, so I prefer to look back at that game as the turning point of the season. :wink:

The night the Hawks won the cup also.

Jurr
06-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Good post. We've had a pretty good thing going with all 5 starters on a roll and then Putz, Thornton, and Jenks being great to close things out in the pen. I don't know if they'll be able to keep that up, but at least all those guys have the potential to be this good.

The offense has come around. Carlos has come alive and Pierre and AJ no longer hovering around .200. Vizquel stepping up offensively and providing solid defense. But there's still some glaring holes. I know Kotsay has been swing a hot bat of late, but I doubt he'll keep that up over the long haul. Beckham has had an awful season.

So, it has indeed been our pitching finally coming through and carrying us. I hope that's enough to carry us to the post season. But, we still need to address some of the holes in our lineup. Will Viciedo step in and fill some of that void? Will Beckham finally gain traction? I guess we'll see over the coming weeks.

Well, this is all funny when considering Walker's long interview about the team. He clearly stated that the Sox were struggling exclusively between the ears. Two of his three largest subjects were Beckham and Quentin. He also talked about AJ pressing due to the uncertainty with his contract.

It's amazing that since A.J. has cleared the 10/5 designation, he's been a totally different hitter. Quentin seemed to follow suit. Maybe Walker was correct in stating that this team has the pieces in place and just needed to get the right mindset going. Baseball is the quintessential mind game, and the same group of players that stunk up the field for two months is now reborn.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-26-2010, 09:38 PM
The night the Hawks won the cup also.

I was just going to say that the moment that turned around this season was when Kane snuck in a shot from the left circle in overtime in Philadelphia.