PDA

View Full Version : Thanks a bunch KW

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-05-2001, 05:33 PM
Ok fine you wanted to dump some salary. I can see that, but JB was the wrong guy. Did it occur to you at all that we were desperately short on starting pitching? I'm just wondering because now that JB's gone we have to rape our bullpen even harder to find starters. Now our bullpen is a joke & we can't win any games in the late innings.

:KW

"Don't I have the coolest shades?"

Daver
08-05-2001, 05:40 PM
:KW

If it wasn't for the job I did building our minor league system we would be 20 games under .500 right now.

danman31
08-05-2001, 09:07 PM
Actually, we aren't that thin in starting pitching. Biddle Ginter Garland Buehrle Kip Lowe Wright can all go deep into a game as a starter. The only reason we brought up Wright was because Biddle sucked and needed to be moved to the pen.

Bmr31
08-05-2001, 09:09 PM
HUH? id really be interested in hearing how you think we are short of starting pitching? we have A SURPLUS of stating pitching. Letting a stiff like Baldwin go, was the right thing to do.

Daver
08-05-2001, 09:10 PM
Biddle is hurt.The Sox won't admit it because it makes them look like idiots to keep running him out there,but the fact remains the same.

Tragg
08-05-2001, 09:16 PM
We're deep in young pitching - probably as deep as anyone in baseball.

The idea is to use the depth to develop a winning team - trade some, pitch some. That's what the yankees do with their farm - they don't let it whither away and start releasing players. They evaluate and then trade.

That's what KW needs to do.

Brian26
08-05-2001, 09:30 PM
I don't have any problem with the JB deal. Fact is, he's not worth the money he's going to be asking for at the end of the year, and we weren't going to keep him. And, true to form, he didn't do crap for us this year. With the exception of maybe two starts, he was mediocre at best. He had the brilliant complete game earlier this year (ended with him fielding a bunt for the last out, I think), but he really didn't do anything to solidify the rotation. Yes, he pitched his heart out in Seattle last yr in the playoffs, and you can never take that away from him. He was damn solid int he first half of 2000 before we shut him down down the stretch, but again, what have you done for me lately? I wish JB all the success in the world, but business-wise, it wasn't a bad move based on what kind of kids we have down on the farm and already here.

Tragg
08-05-2001, 09:41 PM
I really wonder who will pay JB what he appears to be asking? I guess there will be pressure on the Dodgers to do so, if he keeps winning and they get to the playoffs and he does well.

But who else? I think he gets 3rd starter money at best - and that's a 3rd starter for an average team, not as a third starter for, say, the braves.

Kilroy
08-05-2001, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
Ok fine you wanted to dump some salary. I can see that, but JB was the wrong guy.

Uumm hello? What you are seeing from Baldwin right now is him answering the wake up call he got when he was traded. Sure, he knew that the Sox didn't seem interested when they didn't offer him a long-term last off-season, but when he actually was traded, and for the players that the Sox got back, JB realized that his estimation of his value, and the estimation of those who make the money decisions are two very different things.
You may see JB pitch better for this half, but believe me, it will be the direct result of the fact that he is in a contract year. He'll earn himself a decent 3-4 year contract, and then he'll be JB again. MEDIOCRE.

Bmr31
08-05-2001, 11:02 PM
JB is less than mediocre. Right now hes just in a groove, or a good cycle. All players go through highs and lows. With that said, dont expect JB's era to ever be much below 5, for a complete season.