PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Sox Comparison

HomeFish
06-24-2010, 02:41 AM
Terrible team that got hot during the summer and then gave me the biggest heartbreak of my baseball life.

Of course they rallied from 2nd place rather than third, and they did it later during the season. They were what, 6.5 down at the All-Star break?

Foulke You
06-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Don't get me wrong. I agree that 2003 was one of the most heartbreaking finishes to a season for me but the similarities just aren't there for me.

This guy is not the shortstop:

:hitless

And this guy is not the pitching coach:

:nardi:

This guy is not the closer:
:bkoch:

and most importantly, this guy is not managing the team:

:jerry

'nuff said. :cool:

TheVulture
06-24-2010, 03:14 AM
This pitching staff is far deeper. The 2003 staff had three good starters, two good relievers and a bunch of garbage. Manuel rode Marte and Gordon all summer long for want of another decent arm in the pen.

HomeFish
06-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Foulke You:

But we have a terrible second baseman (Beckham), a terrible hitting coach (Walker), and a terrible late-innings reliever (Linebrink). So those three are kind of like Choice, Nardi, and Koch.

You're right, Jerry Manuel is not the manager.

In 2003, I was at the Jose Paniagua game. Before the 9th inning, people started leaving the game because it looked like a blowout win. My buddy and I sneaked into the good seats and found two spots first row in front of the Sox dugout!

Of course we got taken for a ride. As Jerry Manuel was walking back to the dugout after a conference on the mound, I got to yell some not nice things in his face. It felt good.

The next two games just killed me though. And then they went and won a series on the road in Boston to stay in it. That 2003 team could beat every damn contender, just not the Twins.

Honestly, if anything turned me into the HomeFish that I am today, it is that 2003 collapse.

TheOldRoman
06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
But we have a terrible second baseman (Beckham)There is a difference between terrible and struggling. Gordon is playing awful baseball right now, but he is extremely talented. I am not counting on him hitting .200 all season. As frustrating as he has been, he is starting to hit the ball hard. Also, you are forgetting our starter for most of the year in 2003 was D'angelo Jiminez. Yuck.

a terrible hitting coach (Walker)Very true.

a terrible late-innings reliever (Linebrink)No, Linebrink is a garbage time reliever. Did you see yesterday's game? Putz-Thornton-Jenks. Throw Santos in there, too. Linebrink isn't seeing meaningful late innings unless we are in the 12th.

Honestly, if anything turned me into the HomeFish that I am today, it is that 2003 collapse. Homey, I remember when you used to be considered a dark cloud. The mods made you your own thread in which to vent in 2005. Those were the days. It is sad how much this board changed. People piss there pants so much today that your negativity seems run-of-the-mill.

FielderJones
06-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Homey, I remember when you used to be considered a dark cloud. The mods made you your own thread in which to vent in 2005. Those were the days. It is sad how much this board changed. People piss there pants so much today that your negativity seems run-of-the-mill.

This place was Home Fish Interactive in April and May. It's not been quite as bad the last couple weeks.

tstrike2000
06-24-2010, 12:26 PM
The main comparison between '03 and this team will be how it finishes the season. Like most of us, I couldn't have anticipated a stretch like we've had lately given the first two months. The Sox also had that nice run '03, but of course took a massive dump against the Twins. During the last two months of this season, if they can withstand that same issue with Minnesota, then the division could be ours for the taking.

Brian26
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Don't get me wrong. I agree that 2003 was one of the most heartbreaking finishes to a season for me but the similarities just aren't there for me.

This guy is not the shortstop:

:hitless

'nuff said. :cool:

Clayton never played a game for the 2003 White Sox.

HomeFish
06-24-2010, 01:28 PM
This place was Home Fish Interactive in April and May. It's not been quite as bad the last couple weeks.

Yeah, I remember looking at post-game threads and thinking "I am no longer necessary"

thomas35forever
06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
And Coop was the pitching coach that year too.

Huisj
06-24-2010, 03:23 PM
This biggest problems I can remember about the 2003 White Sox were:

-There was no 5th starter at all. After the top 4 of Loaiza, Colon, Buehrle, and Garland, they thew out these immortals for the rest of their games: Dan Wright, Josh Stewart, Neal Cotts, Mike Porzio. They combined for 4 wins total.

-Konerko was terrible. That was the year he inexplicable his .234 and couldn't do anything at all. If he's even close to a normal year for him, their offense goes from good to scary with Thomas, Ordonez, Lee, and Konerko in the middle of it. Slow, yes, but all run producers.

-The bullpen, as mentioned, after Marte and Gordon was horrendous. Rick White threw almost 50 innings with an ERA close to 7. Koch threw 53 innings with an ERA close to 6. After those guys it was a hodgepodge of all kinds of people--Glover, Wunsch, Schoeneweis, Sanders. Yuck.

If any one of those three things could have been a little bit better, the Sox could have won the division that year.

Foulke You
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Ah yes, my memory is failing in my old age. Choice's last year with us was 2002 with the infamous "no spikes" incident. I should replace Clayton's likeness with Rick White. :tongue:

TheOldRoman
06-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I remember looking at post-game threads and thinking "I am no longer necessary":rolling:

TheVulture
06-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Ah yes, my memory is failing in my old age. Choice's last year with us was 2002 with the infamous "no spikes" incident. I should replace Clayton's likeness with Rick White. :tongue:

How about a D'angelo Jimenez/Roberto Alomar montage?

Noir
06-25-2010, 09:25 PM
This biggest problems I can remember about the 2003 White Sox were:

-There was no 5th starter at all. After the top 4 of Loaiza, Colon, Buehrle, and Garland, they thew out these immortals for the rest of their games: Dan Wright, Josh Stewart, Neal Cotts, Mike Porzio. They combined for 4 wins total.

-Konerko was terrible. That was the year he inexplicable his .234 and couldn't do anything at all. If he's even close to a normal year for him, their offense goes from good to scary with Thomas, Ordonez, Lee, and Konerko in the middle of it. Slow, yes, but all run producers.

-The bullpen, as mentioned, after Marte and Gordon was horrendous. Rick White threw almost 50 innings with an ERA close to 7. Koch threw 53 innings with an ERA close to 6. After those guys it was a hodgepodge of all kinds of people--Glover, Wunsch, Schoeneweis, Sanders. Yuck.

If any one of those three things could have been a little bit better, the Sox could have won the division that year.

Screw the division. We were the one team NOBODY wanted to see in the playoffs that year.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Who'll be the equivalent of the Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett acquisitions? :redneck

I personally was thinking about the 2003 Sox as well while many people have been mentioning the 1983 team. 2003 was a real heart breaker. Losing the AL Central to the Twins up in the Metrodome and Esteban Loaiza probably lost the AL Cy Young in that dump. Also, the current 2010 Sox record against the pitiful Indians reminds me of the 2003 team's 11-8 record against the 119-loss Detroit Tigers.

Hitmen77
06-25-2010, 09:38 PM
The 2003 team was 8 games out of first (3rd place) on July 17 and tied for 1st on August 1. They won 13 of 14 in between those dates.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2003-schedule-scores.shtml

sox1970
06-25-2010, 09:39 PM
The 2003 team was 8 games out of first (3rd place) on July 17 and tied for 1st on August 1. They won 13 of 14 in between those dates.

Wow, I forgot about that. I kind of hit the reset button after they won the world series.

chisoxfan4life
06-26-2010, 04:01 AM

And now we have gone 14 of 15 in a similar amount of time to narrow the deficit from 9.5 to 1.5, correct? Baseball is such a great sport.