PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Voting

pythons007
06-23-2010, 02:01 PM
I think the voting system needs to change drastically to allow deserving players a chance. For instance, Alex Rios isn't within the top 15 OF and is having an unbelievable season offensively and defensivly.

Mark Teixeria, Alex Rodriguez, Brandon Inge, Jason Bartlett, Taylor Teagarden, Gerald Laird, Griffey, Granderson, Cuddyer and Austin Jackson should not be sniffing this list. It's terrible how every year at every position you see a Yankee or Red Sox at the top vote getter. Griffey retired and is in the middle of the pack.

They should change this for writers, coaches, GMs, and any other eligible candidates that won't vote in definitive biased numbers for their favorite players. Each year players are left off the All-Star team because of decisive ignorant voting.

JermaineDye05
06-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I think the voting system needs to change drastically to allow deserving players a chance. For instance, Alex Rios isn't within the top 15 OF and is having an unbelievable season offensively and defensivly.

Mark Teixeria, Alex Rodriguez, Brandon Inge, Jason Bartlett, Taylor Teagarden, Gerald Laird, Griffey, Granderson, Cuddyer and Austin Jackson should not be sniffing this list. It's terrible how every year at every position you see a Yankee or Red Sox at the top vote getter. Griffey retired and is in the middle of the pack.

They should change this for writers, coaches, GMs, and any other eligible candidates that won't vote in definitive biased numbers for their favorite players. Each year players are left off the All-Star team because of decisive ignorant voting.

And each year a thread like this is created. It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

kittle42
06-23-2010, 02:06 PM
It'll never change because the whole idea is fans voting for whom they want to see. Selig is dumb to have it "count" for anything for that very reason, but that's the nature of the beast.

If you change the fan voting, the "one guy from every team" rule also needs to go.

pythons007
06-23-2010, 02:07 PM
If you change the fan voting, the "one guy from every team" rule also needs to go.

I agree 100% about that. This is just stupid.

ewokpelts
06-23-2010, 03:52 PM
deserving players get selected via a players vote, as well as the ASG manager

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
They should change the voting system to allow fans to vote for their "team representative." Each team's fans base gets to choose one player, and it can be a pitcher or a position player.

This takes care of 14 spots on the AL squad and 16 on the NL squad.

Then, the players, managers and GMs get to vote to fill out 30-man rosters with the most deserving remaining players.

This would placate the fans for whom it's a popularity contest while simultaneously making sure the most deserving/best performing players get selected while simultaneously making sure the game is not spammed up with Red Sox and Yankees.

TDog
06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
And each year a thread like this is created. It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

That reminds me of 1972, when Cubs fans were complaining that the voting should be returned to the players because Billy Williams was having an MVP-caliber season and he wasn't going to start in the National League outfield. The fans voted Aaron, Mays and Stargell. The Sporting News polled players on how they would vote that year. I don't recall if Aaron, Mays and Stargell were among the top three, but future Hall of Famer Billy Williams would not have been among the starters.

The voting doesn't need to change because who starts the All-Star Game isn't that important. Even with the game determining the league that will get homefield advantage in the World Series, the game isn't that important because who wins the game is a less arbitrary way of selecting homefield than a coin flip -- and still more arbitrary than regular season records.

cws05champ
06-23-2010, 10:14 PM
They should change the voting system to allow fans to vote for their "team representative." Each team's fans base gets to choose one player, and it can be a pitcher or a position player.

Then, the players, managers and GMs get to vote to fill out 30-man rosters with the most deserving remaining players.

This would placate the fans for whom it's a popularity contest while simultaneously making sure the most deserving/best performing players get selected while simultaneously making sure the game is not spammed up with Red Sox and Yankees.

+1
Great Idea...problem is TV won't go for it. They want the Saux and Yankees in there.

mrfourni
06-24-2010, 09:52 AM
+1
Great Idea...problem is TV won't go for it. They want the Saux and Yankees in there.

I like the idea. The problem is, what happens when they vote in too many first baseman or shortstops?

Moses_Scurry
06-24-2010, 10:23 AM

This is a great idea! Send it in to Selig.

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2010, 09:25 PM
I like the idea. The problem is, what happens when they vote in too many first baseman or shortstops?

I think that's unlikely. However, having a 30-man roster should mitigate it.

Let's think about what players likely would be selected by AL teams respective fan bases:

Yankees: Jeter SS
Rays: Longoria 3B
Red Sox: Pedroia 2B
Jays: Wells CF
Orioles: Markakis RF
Twins: Mauer C
Tigers: Cabrera 1B
White Sox: Paulie 1B
Royals: Greinke SP
Indians: Choo OF
Rangers: Hamilton OF
Angels: Santana SP
Mariners: Ichiro OF
Athletics: Braden SP

In many of these cases, I took the current top vote getter by team. For those teams who don't have anyone among the voting leaders, I chose who seems to be their best and/or most popular player. Taking those players yields a pretty nice team in which all positions are represented. I know this wouldn't happen every year, but I think in most years most positions would be filled.