PDA

View Full Version : If you where/wear/were Ken Williams...

konerko 14
06-23-2010, 12:20 PM
If you where the GM of the White Sox, would you resign Pierzynski, or Konerko after this season? or would you bring up Flowers and keep Viceido for first?

october23sp
06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Hahaha, the thread title really needs to be changed.:lol:

JermaineDye05
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I hate to be this way, but that thread title is so confusing

Oh and I wouldn't keep Pauly. AJ, I'm still not sure.

pythons007
Hahaha, the thread title really needs to be changed.:lol:

Yeah Screw Kenny!!

konerko 14
haha, I know, I tried editing it but I can't edit the title

russ99
06-23-2010, 12:26 PM
If you where the GM of the White Sox, would you resign Pierzynski, or Konerko after this season? or would you bring up Flowers and keep Viceido for first?

Well to keep this from degrading into something about the current thread title...

I'd see if A.J. is open to a 2-3 year extension at a reduced number, like $2-2.5M. Otherwise, he stays until free agency and is offered arb, since we get "A" compensation when he signs elsewhere.

IMO Paul's going to command big bucks in the offseason, so I'd say it's doubtful. We can use that $10-12M on either two younger players or to lock down Danks and bring in a replacement for Paul. He's currently a "B" compensation guy, so there's less of a reward for keeping him around, and the Sox could get burned in arbitration if they offer.

Regardless, Flowers and Viciedo shouldn't be direct replacements, we need more talent at both positions than they're showing right now. I like Viciedo as DH eventually, since his defense is lacking, and if Phelgley and that other catcher are advancing through the system, Flowers could be dealt.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-23-2010, 12:27 PM
If Konerko would give us a discount and DH for us... then YES. Unless we get someone with worse defense then PK so he can stay at 1st...
AJ, we'll see, he has to get that average up to at least .280 for me even to consider. Or at least bat close to .290 in the second half.

pythons007
06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I would like to see AJ back. I'm not so sure I want to see Paulie get signed to another contract. I love the guy, I think he's having an awesome season, but I don't want to see some younger guys out there.

hi im skot
06-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Konerko makes the pick on Ramirez's throw last night.

The idea of Viciedo playing defense anywhere is frightening.

mantis1212
06-23-2010, 12:54 PM
It all depends on the money. Cowley was on the radio yesterday insisting Konerko will command a 2 year, $20MM contract which I think is ludicrious. If that's the case, then I think he's gone.

voodoochile
06-23-2010, 01:01 PM

The idea of Viciedo playing defense anywhere is frightening.

He's 21 or something. Given time and practice you might actually expect him to turn into a solid 1B if nothing else.

g0g0
06-23-2010, 01:08 PM
I still say re-sign both, especially the captain who has been an integral part of this team. So many people say Frank got shafted, well, this would be the same thing. Let the man retire a Sox as he should.

It's Dankerific
06-23-2010, 01:09 PM
I still say re-sign both, especially the captain who has been an integral part of this team. So many people say Frank got shafted, well, this would be the same thing. Let the man retire a Sox as he should.

Um, PK isn't a first ballot HOF like Big Frank is.

Also, love the title change.

kjhanson
06-23-2010, 01:11 PM
If I were Kenny Williams, I would not be posting on WSI, and I would wait until the end of the season before making those decisions. A lot can happen in four months.

DumpJerry
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Nope. Did you actually see it? Methinks you did not. The throw got messed up because of Alexei's finger and it hit the dirt in a spot where no First Baseman would have been able to snag it.

Sargeant79
06-23-2010, 01:22 PM
It all depends on the money. Cowley was on the radio yesterday insisting Konerko will command a 2 year, $20MM contract which I think is ludicrious. If that's the case, then I think he's gone.

Actually, if he keeps hitting this way for the rest of the season, I could see that contract happening with some team. Remember: Konerko can still play above average defense.

hi im skot
06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Nope. Did you actually see it? Methinks you did not. The throw got messed up because of Alexei's finger and it hit the dirt in a spot where no First Baseman would have been able to snag it.

Methinks I was at the game.

kufram
06-23-2010, 01:34 PM
PK and AJ are welcome here as far as I'm concerned UNTIL WE HAVE REPLACEMENTS AT LEAST SOMEWHAT PROVEN to relieve them, not theories.

FielderJones
06-23-2010, 01:37 PM
PK and AJ are welcome here as far as I'm concerned UNTIL WE HAVE REPLACEMENTS AT LEAST SOMEWHAT PROVEN to relieve them, not theories.

QFT. I think the people who want to dump PK and AJ are the same managerial geniuses that wanted to blow up this team in May. :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
06-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Methinks I was at the game.
So you did not see the numerous replays on the television showing that it was an uncatchable/unstoppable ball.

kittle42
06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
QFT. I think the people who want to dump PK and AJ are the same managerial geniuses that wanted to blow up this team in May. :rolleyes:

I'd still like to see the Sox beat an AL team in the coming weeks before I completely hop back aboard, but hey, wins are wins, and the Braves are no slouches.

LoveYourSuit
06-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Not too many teams, especially in Sox history, make runs like this one.

So in defense to those who wanted to blow up this team, you can't blame them.

What's happening here right now with this team is something very rare. Even Kenny was surprised that they are at .500 right now this quickly.

So, I guess Kenny was another one of those "managerial geniuses" you are speaking of. Kenny was blowing this thing up.

LoveYourSuit
06-23-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd still like to see the Sox beat an AL team in the coming weeks before I completely hop back aboard, but hey, wins are wins, and the Braves are no slouches.

That's the best approach we need to take.

This run is great. But let's wait to see what happens when the schedule returns to normal AL play.

Or while Hawk is asking Selig to invoke the "Team Error" rule in order to protect White Sox pitchers' ERA, he should also ask for him to relocate the Sox to the NL in mid-season.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I really hope KW doesn't go out and trade away all of our prospects and BUY this upcoming month. I am enjoying this winning streak, but I still am thinking rationally about this team. We still have some rough road trips and we have the play the AL the rest of the year...not the ****ty NL.

Also, KW was never going to go on a fire sale. They have too much money invested and need to keep the butts in the seats.

DumpJerry
06-23-2010, 02:10 PM
The Tigers are in the NL now?

LoveYourSuit
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
I really hope KW doesn't go out and trade away all of our prospects and BUY this upcoming month. I am enjoying this winning streak, but I still am thinking rationally about this team. We still have some rough road trips and we have the play the AL the rest of the year...not the ****ty NL.

Also, KW was never going to go on a fire sale. They have too much money invested and need to keep the butts in the seats.

I disagree.

I think if the division is there for the taking, you go for it.

The Sox farm system continues to be a bag of a hot air, I would not hesitate to trade anyone down there.

october23sp
06-23-2010, 02:16 PM
If I was where Ken Williams was, I would be in Chicago.

If I wear Ken Williams, I will go to jail.

If I were him I would sign both AJ and Paulie back.

KMcMahon817
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I would resign Paulie without much thought. Hopefully something in the ball park of 2 years 12-14 million.

AJ is another can of worms. I personally cant confidently say that I think Flowers is going to be major league catcher. I don't know who the other free agent catchers are going to be, but if AJ didn't want to break the bank, I don't see a problem in keeping him around for another year or two. Flowers hasn't done anything to warrant a starting job next season.

kittle42
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
The Tigers are in the NL now?

One series, Dump.

I am not trying to be a pessimist - in fact, last night was the first time I had looked forward to going to a game practically since opening day - just being cautiously optimistic!

WhiteSoxFTW
06-23-2010, 02:50 PM
If I were KW, I would be really worried about how I look when Jake Peavy's arm finally falls off later this season.

(It's gonna happen.)

thomas35forever
06-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I would sign AJ and Paulie to short-term deals. Paulie looks like he still has something left in the tank and AJ is our best all-around catcher right now. If Flowers wasn't blowing chunks in AAA, I would think AJ might be expendable, but that's not the case.

Sam Spade
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I would sign AJ and Paulie to short-term deals. Paulie looks like he still has something left in the tank and AJ is our best all-around catcher right now. If Flowers wasn't blowing chunks in AAA, I would think AJ might be expendable, but that's not the case.
I wouldn't say he is blowing chunks. He is crushing the ball. His average blows chunks.

thomas35forever
06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't say he is blowing chunks. He is crushing the ball. His average blows chunks.
Sadly, that's what this team has been suffering from for some time now. We don't want players who are only good for that one thing. They're part of that station-to-station offense we're trying to move away from.

hawkjt
06-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I like the 2 year deal for PK with a mutual option for third year.
I would also do a short term deal...2 years for AJ, if he is reasonable.

Of course if they have horrible second halves like JD did last year...I reserve the right to change my mind as this decision does not need to be made until the end of the year.

TheVulture
06-23-2010, 07:10 PM

PK snags those routinely.

TheVulture
06-23-2010, 07:12 PM

Except the 37.5% of his at bats in which he whiffs. Then he's just shoving air molecules around.

TheVulture
06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
BTW, 37.5% over 550 ABs comes to 206 Ks over a full season worth of ABs. If you think a guy on pace to K 200+ times while hitting .220 is ready to take over a full time job on this team, I don't know what to tell you.

It is looking like he's been turning it around the last couple of weeks, but that's not enough to just hand him a prime position.

Edit: And to answer the question, yes I would try to re-sign both PK and AJ if I were KW and not DF.

BadBobbyJenks
06-23-2010, 07:43 PM
So you did not see the numerous replays on the television showing that it was an uncatchable/unstoppable ball.

Please prove that the ball was uncatchable.

g0g0
06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Um, PK isn't a first ballot HOF like Big Frank is.

He might not be, but batting .283 with 100 RBI and 40 HR while leading the Sox to the 2005 championship might be worth something. He's on pace to almost match those numbers again this year. He's also been with the team 12 years and is the captain. I don't think that's something you just throw away. Sign the man to a couple more years!

doublem23
06-24-2010, 10:10 AM
One series, Dump.

I am not trying to be a pessimist - in fact, last night was the first time I had looked forward to going to a game practically since opening day - just being cautiously optimistic!

Yeah, this win streak has been really fun, but it's been predicated on picking on the Cubs, Pirates, and Nationals. Honestly, there's nothing that special about this Braves team, either. They have some nice pieces like Heyward and Prado, but overall they're not that intimidating and I doubt they'd even be .500 if they were an AL team.

I know you can only play the teams on your schedule and I'm glad the Sox are taking care of their obviously inferior talent, but let's seem them play some real competition.

hi im skot
06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
He might not be, but batting .283 with 100 RBI and 40 HR while leading the Sox to the 2005 championship might be worth something. He's on pace to almost match those numbers again this year. He's also been with the team 12 years and is the captain. I don't think that's something you just throw away. Sign the man to a couple more years!

He's also one of the most underrated players in the American League.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-24-2010, 11:12 AM
He's also one of the most underrated players in the American League.

And he is also playing in a contract year. We can't just ignore that fact. Neither can KW.

It's Dankerific
06-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Thats a legit argument. But any comparisons to the way Big Frank was shown the door, are not.

g0g0
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Thats a legit argument. But any comparisons to the way Big Frank was shown the door, are not.

True Frank got screwed!