PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'And The Hits Just Keep On Coming!' 6/22 ATL vs White Sox Postgame Thread

soxinem1
06-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the big leagues, Mr. Hanson!!

Let's hope TCM is okay.

How about Danks hanging in there after a rough start?

If our starters keep getting the games into the late innings like they have been, we just might make some noise.

Has anyone noticed how well the team has played since Teahen has been out of the lineup?

Dub25
06-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Rolled the dice and they came up 7.

GoGoCrede
Love this team, hope Alexei will be fine, hope the Twins continue losing tonight.

Linebrink seems like a really swell guy, but egads, he's awful.

Madvora
Offense! I love it. That looked great, except for Linebrink at the end.

Baron
Ok I never want to see Scott Linebrink ever again.But on a positive note we won!

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Meaningful baseball in Chicago. What a great turnaround.

Keep it up.

voodoochile
Offense and defense and pitching OH MY!

Heck of a job and nice to see TCQ bust out the hitting stick. That ball was crushed!

Be better tomorrow, Alexei. We kind of need you...

:soxwin:

:)

tony1972
Love this team, hope Alexei will be fine, hope the Twins continue losing tonight.

Twins and Tigers are both losing...

seriously (dating myself here)..but this does remind me of '83...

cws05champ
Another nice win..

Linebrink may be better if we had a good LOOGY.

Linebrink vs Leftys: 8.10 ERA
Linebrink vs Rightys: 2.38 ERA

If we had a better loogy maybe ozzie would use him as only a ROOGY....I know, sounds stupid, but it is what it is.

Hope Alexei is OK...lets take the series.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-22-2010, 10:51 PM
First time over .500 since Opening Day!

Now let's stay up there!!! See what happens when you finally start hitting the ball?

Brian26
That's 11 wins out of the last 12 games, and 12 of the last 14.

Kip Lewis only gave credit for 9 out of 10 on the postgame interview. Nice preparation.

Madvora
Hey I forgot that we're actually over .500 now. Nice!

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm still not totally sold on us being a contender or even a good team, but to quote "For the Love of the Game" "You know what? We don't suck right now!"

Jerko
06-22-2010, 10:53 PM

ok you can get off the couch now.

akingamongstmen
Over .500!! Let's never look back!

tony1972
I'm still not totally sold on us being a contender or even a good team, but to quote "For the Love of the Game" "You know what? We don't suck right now!"

just the fact they are playing better...it's nice to know the Cell won't be a ghostown this summer...there will be more energy at the games as long as they stay close...

GoGoCrede
ok you can get off the couch now.

:lol: Actually, I never did get up. The sacrifices I make for my guys!

tony1972
06-22-2010, 10:54 PM

and the game ends just in time for the Golden Girls !!:D:

WhiteSox5187
Another nice win..

Linebrink may be better if we had a good LOOGY.

Linebrink vs Leftys: 8.10 ERA
Linebrink vs Rightys: 2.38 ERA

If we had a better loogy maybe ozzie would use him as only a ROOGY....I know, sounds stupid, but it is what it is.

Hope Alexei is OK...lets take the series.

I'm going to the game tomorrow, I've yet to see a win this year, so hopefully they win tomorrow because I'd hate to have to stop going to games on account of me jinxing them.

soltrain21

They are playing meaningful ball and are now "back in the race." That's all you can ask for ANY team right now, to be in your division race.

Keep winning series, get a bat at the deadline and win this ****ing division.

Jerko

:thumbsup:

GoGoCrede
and the game ends just in time for the Golden Girls !!:D:

Already flipped over to the Girls. :smile: Jeez, I'm predictable...

SOXfnNlansing
06-22-2010, 10:57 PM
This time of year I always think of the wonderful things that Scott Linebrink does for our service members. He had that organization in SD. It is sad that he needs to be DFA immediately if we are to win this thing. This thing can come down to one single game blown by him down the stretch. I was sad to see Shingo's last gasps, but that opened the door to Hermy and Jenks.

That being said, glad to see the solid come from behind effort tonight. Hope Ramirez is ok. Glad to see all the hits and the long ball (finally).

october23sp
06-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Season high watermark since 1-0.

Dub25
06-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Twins and Tigers are both losing...

seriously (dating myself here)..but this does remind me of '83...

I was too little to remember... I was 7 and do remember Julio Cruz scoring for the clincher... but I was hoping for a 83 run because that is what it is going to take I think.

Does tonight count as "Winning Ugly"??? :scratch:

RowanDye
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
This time of year I always think of the wonderful things that Scott Linebrink does for our service members. He had that organization in SD. It is sad that he needs to be DFA immediately if we are to win this thing. This thing can come down to one single game blown by him down the stretch. I was sad to see Shingo's last gasps, but that opened the door to Hermy and Jenks.

That being said, glad to see the solid come from behind effort tonight. Hope Ramirez is ok. Glad to see all the hits and the long ball (finally).

Do you really think they'll eat that much salary? And who would replace him? Hudson?

Go SOX, btw!

Brian26
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
The Sox are proving how valuable great starting pitching can be when it's on. All of a sudden, the Sox look like they can compete with any team in the league. If Kenny picks up a bat before the Break, who knows what can happen.

PeteWard
06-22-2010, 11:01 PM
In the thick of it and current scores look good to get the Sox within 4 on the loss side, though I do not rule out a Brewer bullpen implosion vs Twinks--a la Philly last week.

BringBackBlkJack
This is a major statement game for the Sox. Tommy Hanson prior to this game was 4-0 with a 0.75 ERA in interleague play... He just had manhandled the Rays the other week... I thought this was going to be a L for the Sox for sure.

So, to the naysayers discounting the Sox' winning streak, SUCK IT! :D:

GoGoCrede

He's also Peavy's BFF and reportedly had a lot to do with wooing Jake to come here. It's gotta suck being handed the ball and knowing you just aren't helping your team win.

Tragg
06-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Ok I never want to see Scott Linebrink ever again.But on a positive note we won!

Shouldn't he get the MacDougal treatment? Just DFA him. He's the kind of guy we'll bring in down 3, and then he'll pitch us out fo the game.

Torres and Hudson are good pitchers. Let's bring them up. Torres is getting up in age and has good stuff...let's use him.

october23sp
06-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I think it is just a coincidence that we have picked it up in interleague play.

thomas35forever
For the second game in a row, the Sox are faced with adversity and rather than wilt under it, they roar right back in the following half-inning. Oh yeah, and Danks wasn't too bad either. Don't stop now, boys. We're putting ourselves right in the thick of things. This can only give us confidence going forward.

I also hope Alexei's all right.

Rdy2PlayBall
He's also Peavy's BFF and reportedly had a lot to do with wooing Jake to come here. It's gotta suck being handed the ball and knowing you just aren't helping your team win.1-0 win/loss record.... :scratch:

:tongue:

Domeshot17
06-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Hanson had nothing tonight, but we made him pay. Kotsay getting hosed at third sucked, but atleast its the one out you are allowed to make there. He really isn't much of a base runner. If we could move him back to the bench role and get a legitimate DH, the team could possibly contend.

Hartman
06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I think I could retire hitters more effectively than Linebrink

JB98
06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Danks has had some games this year where the offense let him down, so it was nice to see the hitters get him off the hook after he gave up three early runs tonight.

Two-out hitting was really the key to tonight's win. Six of nine runs scored with two outs.

soxinem1
06-22-2010, 11:14 PM

I think Linebrink would be more effective if he would just retire.

Frankfan4life
06-22-2010, 11:17 PM
What the heck is going on? I had pretty much written this season off but now I've got hope again. This has been an incredible few weeks. This team has finally convinced me that they do know how to play baseball.

Thanks for proving me wrong White Sox! :D:

GoGoCrede
06-22-2010, 11:18 PM
What the heck is going on? I had pretty much written this season off but now I've got hope again. This has been an incredible few weeks. This team has finally convinced me that they do know how to play baseball.

Thanks for proving me wrong White Sox! :D:

If this hot streak keeps up, I will have thoroughly embarrassed myself with the "Have you stuck a fork in the season?" thread I made. :redface:

russ99
06-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Shouldn't he get the MacDougal treatment? Just DFA him. He's the kind of guy we'll bring in down 3, and then he'll pitch us out fo the game.

Torres and Hudson are good pitchers. Let's bring them up. Torres is getting up in age and has good stuff...let's use him.

And eat $10.5m? Not likely. Besides, Linebrink got bit by the error. No error and he may have gotten out of that with one run.

I'd rather see Williams replaced by Torres. Unless Hudson starts, there's no need to rush him, and if Sale has a good year we could cut another big pitcher salary and start both of them next year.

Brewski
06-22-2010, 11:20 PM

Couldn't locate his breaking pitch, centered a few mid-90's fastballs. Poor guy. In comes Jenks, no suspense.

Nice to see that TCQ bat flip again, noticed he was driving the ball to RF last few games. Beckham looks lost, it's depressing.

Unfire Greg Walker.

SOXfnNlansing
06-22-2010, 11:21 PM
For the second game in a row, the Sox are faced with adversity and rather than wilt under it, they roar right back in the following half-inning. Oh yeah, and Danks wasn't too bad either. Don't stop now, boys. We're putting ourselves right in the thick of things. This can only give us confidence going forward.

I also hope Alexei's all right.

I stuck it out tonight as opposed to bailing out on them Sunday. :bandance:

Crestani
06-22-2010, 11:23 PM
I think Linebrink would be more effective if he would just retire.

We called him "one run linestink" here in San Diego when he pitched for the Padres...Never could figure out what Williams saw in him..?? However, he is very good friends with Peavy...but he should be DFA...!!!

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Nice to get a win against a hot team. Let's win the series tomorrow.

PushinWeight
06-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Good news out of New York and Milwaukee: Mets up 14-6 on Tigers and Verlander got shelled! :bandance:
And even more important Brewers take a 2 run lead into the 9th, but with their pitching don't give the Sox up a game on the Twins in the standings until the final out is recorded.

GoGoCrede
06-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Cowley on Alexei:

By the way, The Missile likely just split a nail and is day-to-day. Guillen said he will make two lineups for Wed., just in case.

PeteWard
06-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Good news out of New York and Milwaukee: Mets up 14-6 on Tigers and Verlander got shelled! :bandance:
And even more important Brewers take a 2 run lead into the 9th, but with their pitching don't give the Sox up a game on the Twins in the standings until the final out is recorded.

How right you are. Mauer just got a two-out single and Morneau is up. :o:

GoGoCrede
06-22-2010, 11:28 PM
4.5 out, baby! Twins lose!

tony1972
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Twins just lost..:D:

Hitmen77
Lots of positives in today's game. Carlos with another big night - that's huge because we need him if we're seriously going to make a run at this division.

The only bad things:
- Beckham hitless tonight. Geez, I'm really pulling for him to turn things around. He was 2-4 on Sunday, but he's not exactly gaining much traction.

- The Sox need to bring in Jenks when they had (at one point) a 6 run lead. Linebrink is terrible. At least Bobby only had to throw one pitch!

- Alexei's injury. Man, I hope it's not a broken finger. If it is, it'll take the wind right out of our sails.

PalehosePlanet
Twinkies lose, 4.5 back.

Just hope Alexei is okay.

PeteWard
06-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Yes! Right back in this thing.

tstrike2000
Nice job by the offense and as it turned out, the ball in the shirt ended up being the difference.

tony1972
Lots of positives in today's game. Carlos with another big night - that's huge because we need him if we're seriously going to make a run at this division.

The only bad things:
- Beckham hitless tonight. Geez, I'm really pulling for him to turn things around. He was 2-4 on Sunday, but he's not exactly gaining much traction.

- The Sox need to bring in Jenks when they had (at one point) a 6 run lead. Linebrink is terrible. At least Bobby only had to throw one pitch!

- Alexei's injury. Man, I hope it's not a broken finger. If it is, it'll take the wind right out of our sails.

I hope Alexei is okay...but Viciedo can play..

BlackandWhiteSox
06-22-2010, 11:31 PM
These wins mean absolutely nothing, lol at all you delusional fans getting your hopes up

Alright but seriously, great win except for Line(r)brink obviously. Things are looking good, I hope Alexei is ok. I will be going to tomorrow's game hoping the streak stays alive for at least 1 more game. :smile:

tony1972
06-22-2010, 11:31 PM
if the Sox keep winning..the Cell is going to be rocking this summer..:bandance:

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 11:33 PM
And now it's time to start looking for a left handed bat. The sooner the better.

october23sp
06-22-2010, 11:33 PM
If this hot streak keeps up, I will have thoroughly embarrassed myself with the "Have you stuck a fork in the season?" thread I made. :redface:

Haha, I thought we would lose 100, I think everyone forgot about your thread.

mzh
06-22-2010, 11:34 PM
These wins mean absolutely nothing, lol at all you delusional fans getting your hopes up

Alright but seriously, great win except for Line(r)brink obviously. Things are looking good, I hope Alexei is ok. I will be going to tomorrow's game hoping the streak stays alive for at least 1 more game. :smile:

:tealtutor:

Speaking of Alexei and SS, hasn't Brent Morel been playing short in AAA?

Hitmen77
06-22-2010, 11:35 PM

Ow, my eyes!!!!

whitesox4eva
06-22-2010, 11:35 PM

:tealpolice:

I've always wanted to use that :P

but totally woo on sox winning and tigers and twins losing :D

october23sp
06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Right when I saw Alexei's finger I knew what the problem was, he should be fine.

Hitmen77
06-22-2010, 11:40 PM

...and only 2.5 behind the Tigers if the Mets indeed win.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
:tealtutor:

Speaking of Alexei and SS, hasn't Brent Morel been playing short in AAA?

Sorry, I wasn't getting the caption/description. I was just guessing it was teal or close enough.

Hitmen77
06-22-2010, 11:42 PM
If the Sox win tomorrow, would that make it an official "Somber Streak"? :tongue:

Foulke You
06-22-2010, 11:42 PM
And eat $10.5m? Not likely. Besides, Linebrink got bit by the error. No error and he may have gotten out of that with one run.
You're kidding me right? This is the second time in a row Jenks had to be summoned when Linebrink couldn't hold a 5 run lead. Did you forget the leadoff HR and the double? He can't even be trusted in mop up duty anymore. It's unfortunate because he seems like a great guy but it just isn't working out here in Chicago for him. The Sox need to take a page from the Brewers book and DFA Linebrink like the Brewers did with Suppan.

Tragg
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Carlos Quentin is starting to hit a lot better too. A lot of people seem to think he's finished but I haven't been convinced of it. His only bad full year was last year and that was injury aided.

Tragg
06-22-2010, 11:44 PM

We're eating that money whether or not he pitches. Sunk cost.

Dub25
06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Cowley on Alexei:

By the way, The Missile likely just split a nail and is day-to-day. Guillen said he will make two lineups for Wed., just in case.

Heck, wrap it in a band aid and get out there. :D:

asindc
06-22-2010, 11:48 PM

Good point. At this point, it would probably be a more positive return on investment if he doesn't pitch for the Sox anymore. Let's trade him to the Twinkees for a low-A prospect and be done with it.:D:

TommyGavinFloyd
06-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Good point. At this point, it would probably be a more positive return on investment if he doesn't pitch for the Sox anymore. Let's trade him to the Twinkees for a low-A prospect and be done with it.:D:

At this point Linebrink is like a fan who won an awesome contest. 4+ million bucks, hang out with the team and travel the country, and occasionally get to pitch in a major league game! We'd be better off with another Eddie Gaedel type stunt-guy taking up that spot.

RadioheadRocks
06-22-2010, 11:53 PM

Hear, hear!

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Nice situational hitting, guys. 2/3 of the runs were scored with 2 outs.

october23sp
06-22-2010, 11:58 PM
BTW, we aren't "practically" in the hunt, we are in it.

GoGoCrede
06-22-2010, 11:59 PM
BTW, we aren't "practically" in the hunt, we are in it.

Now it'll be harder to seat hop at games, since people are showing up. :mad:

TDog
06-22-2010, 11:59 PM
In case anyone is wondering, the Braves took two of three from the Twins in Minnesota. The Twins won the first game of their Braves series, but in that June 11-13 series, the Twins only scored seven runs against the Braves. They didn't face Hanson, though.

I totally missed tonight's game. It wasn't that I didn't have any faith in my team because it is managed by, judging from the baseball experts here, someone who should be committed to an institution for criminally insane baseball managers which could be the only reason Guillen didn't start Viciedo. Rather I had things to do. The score was a pleasant surprise because I thought the pitching would be better on both sides.

It was nice to see the White Sox beating a strong team on what was mostly a National League night, with NL teams beating the four other AL Central teams.

Going strictly from memory, I believe this is the fist time since winning on opening day that the White Sox have been above .500 (although they remain below Pythagorean .500 thanks to their success in one-run games).

In a thread not all that long ago (I'm not sure if was a postgame thread, the we're-on-out-way-to-losing-100 thread, a generic back-up-the-truck thread or something more specific about the flaws of this team, its players, its manager and coaches its front office and/or ownership), I inspired numerous eye-rolling icons when I responded to a comparison of this team to the 1970 White Sox by arguing that this team appears to be closer to the 1983 White Sox. Maybe the 2010 White Sox won't win 99 games. They certainly won't lose to Baltimore in the ALCS, but here is something to consider.

The 1983 White Sox went into their June 25 game against the Twins with a four-game winning streak and a .500 record at 33-33 and finished the day a game above .500. They were still in fourth place, 2.5 games out of first, and they would lose the next afternoon. But they didn't fall below .500 for the rest of the season. The 1983 team didn't make it to first until July 18.

I like the way the 2010 White Sox have been playing lately, and I think they have the pitching talent to keep it up.

cws05champ
06-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Couldn't locate his breaking pitch, centered a few mid-90's fastballs. Poor guy. In comes Jenks, no suspense.

Nice to see that TCQ bat flip again, noticed he was driving the ball to RF last few games. Beckham looks lost, it's depressing.

Unfire Greg Walker.

There's been plenty of times this year where Beckham has looked lost...but tonight wasn't one of them. He hit the ball hard several times, one foul and another right at the RF. He's starting to square it up a little more often. I was in favor of sending him down weeks ago but I think we are past that now with this streak.

I know everyone is pissed with Linebrink, with good reason. But how about we see if Ozzie can use him just against Righties where he has a 2.38 ERA. He is just not setting him up to succeed.

BadBobbyJenks
06-23-2010, 12:03 AM
God damn was that Q bomb a laser! Love it when you can just instantly throw your arms up when u see it off the bat.

Got to feel good to be a pitcher and see a 3 run deficit erased quickly rather than know it is probably over like it was in May and June.

By the way when did Michigan Ave in front of the school become residential during ball games? I was pretty pissed off to see a ticket there waiting for me.

Hegewisch
06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
We Are Alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gulp::bandance::)

ChiSoxGirl
06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Day 7 of ChiSoxGirl being out of town and the Sox are 6-0 while I'm on the left coast! :party: Keep on rollin', boys!

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2010, 12:09 AM
By the way when did Michigan Ave in front of the school become residential during ball games? I was pretty pissed off to see a ticket there waiting for me.
Were there signs? If not, then contest it.

Nelfox02
06-23-2010, 12:09 AM
After a pathetic effort on a Satruday night loss to Cleveland (the game where Peavy pitched well with the exception of balking in a run and the offesnse did nothing yet again) I lost it-----angrily posted that I was setting up my first boycott of the team in forever and declared "White Sox Baseball 2010---thanks for nothing" Well, I gladly admit I was wrong, thankfully admit I was wrong it seemed like we were waiting for that "run" all of 2009, it never came it is finally here.....not sure if it will lead to anything, and at this point just taking it game by game

someone posted in another thread that we need to win 4 games per week each of the three weeks before the all star break---put our record at 46 and 41 at the break very reasonable goal right there

nice start to this week impressive W all around anyone see any annoucement on TCM X rays?

BadBobbyJenks
06-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Were there signs? If not, then contest it.

Up the road a bit like 15-20 feet from where I parked.

TomBradley72
06-23-2010, 12:10 AM
There's been plenty of times this year where Beckham has looked lost...but tonight wasn't one of them. He hit the ball hard several times, one foul and another right at the RF. He's starting to square it up a little more often. I was in favor of sending him down weeks ago but I think we are past that now with this streak.

I know everyone is pissed with Linebrink, with good reason. But how about we see if Ozzie can use him just against Righties where he has a 2.38 ERA. He is just not setting him up to succeed.

If you can ONLY get out right handers...you're making your managers job very tough especially when one of your lefties is Williams. Linebrink joins the tradition of Mike MacDougal and Billy Koch...reliever with multi year contracts who completely suck. Even if we release him, I'm not sure we have anyone in the organization who can help as the "last man" out of the bullpen.

hi im skot
06-23-2010, 12:11 AM
In honor of the Braves' starting pitcher, the Sox audio guy played "Mmmbop" after the game; I'm sure Tommy appreciated that.

Slappy
06-23-2010, 12:16 AM
This is starting to resemble a winning streak. I'm a little intrigued now...

Didn't get to catch any of the game except the first inning, but this is great to see.

GoGoCrede
06-23-2010, 12:17 AM
This is starting to resemble a winning streak. I'm a little intrigued now...

Didn't get to catch any of the game except the first inning, but this is great to see.

Starting to? You're about 4 games late on that one.
:bandance:

Slappy
06-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Considering this is the first pitcher worth a damn we beat in the last 7 games, yeah. :tongue:

:gulp:

BlackandWhiteSox
06-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Considering this is the first pitcher worth a damn we beat in the last 7 games, yeah. :tongue:

What about Jesus Strasburg?

Warriorjan
06-23-2010, 12:28 AM
I have another friend who always parked on Michigan, he said the signs just got posted recently. Definitely weren't there at the beginning of the year. This is what happens when people start moving in.

RadioheadRocks
06-23-2010, 12:31 AM

That was a no-decision, but it was a moral victory indeed! :D:

Slappy
06-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Good point.

I guess I didn't count that cuz it was a 1 run game or something.

october23sp
06-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I hope we are 3 games over .500 at the end of the month.

sox1970
06-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I hope we are 3 games over .500 at the end of the month.

I hope we're 9 games over .500 at the end of the month.

But seriously, when the Sox get done in Minnesota on July 18, I want them within 3 games of first place, preferably already in 1st place. Then after that, they have two straight weeks of Mariners and A's. It doesn't get any easier than that the rest of the way. They better go at least 8-5 against them.

Zisk77
06-23-2010, 01:03 AM

Ah, I respect jesus very much, but he no help me hit curveball. are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball? Now lets not start a holy war Harris...:D:

OmahaSoxFan
06-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Seven in a row!!! Keep it rolling Sox, gotta love beating one of the NL's best teams, and a division leader for that matter... after feasting on some of the NL's worst the last week. Don't look now but the Twins are appearing to hit a little bit of a mid-season "swoon" in a few ways, so if the Sox keep it up, we can be back in first place where we belong in a week or two (wishful thinking, LOL). I will take the Sox being one game over .500, and only 4.5 games back after the awful April and May we had to endure.

soxlady8
06-23-2010, 01:22 AM
4.5 back
Super Sweet!
Thank You Brewers , Thank You so much :)

I was a wee bit worried in the beginning of the game when Danks didn't look too sharp. However, the OFFENSE took advantage of some poor pitching and GOT RIGHT BACK IN THE GAME.

I hope we can keep this up.

cws05champ
06-23-2010, 01:23 AM
If you can ONLY get out right handers...you're making your managers job very tough especially when one of your lefties is Williams. Linebrink joins the tradition of Mike MacDougal and Billy Koch...reliever with multi year contracts who completely suck. Even if we release him, I'm not sure we have anyone in the organization who can help as the "last man" out of the bullpen.

Which is the point I made earlier, if we had a better Loogy, maybe Linebrink wouldn't be put in situations where he won't succeed. I would rather try Threets or Torres (even though he's a RHP) instead of Williams.

SluggersAway
06-23-2010, 01:43 AM
Up the road a bit like 15-20 feet from where I parked.

Contest it, they cannot prove you parked the car there.

hawkjt
06-23-2010, 01:54 AM
#1 Son and I attended the festivities tonite..finally broke our 2010 losing streak at 4 in games we attend together..thank god.
Really a fun nite at the park tonite...perfect weather, happy crowd, lots of action...best nite of the season for me out at the Cell,by a mile.

Sat down there in the left field corner and saw Carlos' shot all the way..beauty.
It looked bad when we went down 3-0 and the Twins were up 3-0...but it was early and it was a fun scoreboard watching nite after the 3rd.

Love the way the team is swinging to meet the ball and not going for homers...just singles..works just fine for me.
Gordon had three nite squared up line shots tonite,but no hits,but he is getting there. And for those who ridiculed me for saying that Kotsay is ''getting there'' ...he had three productive at bats,and was proven to be the right choice by Ozzie.

Slappy
06-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Love the way the team is swinging to meet the ball and not going for homers...just singles..works just fine for me.

For real, though. The way the team as a whole was swinging the bat up until recently was really annoying. Quentin especially was looking to hit a bomb every at bat and every swing pretty much.

It's really encouraging and just plain fun to see some situational hitting, and guys taking some pressure off themselves and just making good contact.

SluggersAway
06-23-2010, 02:05 AM
For real, though. The way the team as a whole was swinging the bat up until recently was really annoying. Quentin especially was looking to hit a bomb every at bat and every swing pretty much.

It's really encouraging and just plain fun to see some situational hitting, and guys taking some pressure off themselves and just making good contact.

This is the way you win games.

Unfortunately, the cell, the fireworks, the chicks dig the long ball deal make you want to swing away.

StillMissOzzie
06-23-2010, 02:17 AM
Going 8 - 1 vs the NL weak sisters is great and all, but it doesn't tell me a lot about the Sox. Beating the NL East division leaders, on the other hand, a team with something to play for, speaks a lot louder.

I laughed out loud at the ball in the shirt trick by the Braves 3B, and it was great to see TCQ put a charge in one.

My one big concern, though, is Beckham. If the Sox continue this hot streak, I think that KW will need to play this like a contender, and send Beckham down to AAA to regain his stroke. The Sox have been more than patient, they've dropped him down in the order, but nothing seems to be working to get him to regain his confidence.

SMO

soxlady8
06-23-2010, 02:23 AM
I was thinking about Bacon as I was watching the game and doing dishes.
He really isn't getting it together offensively, while the other guys ARE getting it done.

I love Becks , but he is really starting to worry me!

Would a short trip down to AAA really help him?
However, he has been doing a good job at 2nd and perhaps if he was gone, the defense might decline. He and TCM seem to have the double play down to a science.

I don't see a win/win with him going down to AAA scenario.

Slappy
06-23-2010, 02:28 AM
My one big concern, though, is Beckham. If the Sox continue this hot streak, I think that KW will need to play this like a contender, and send Beckham down to AAA to regain his stroke. The Sox have been more than patient, they've dropped him down in the order, but nothing seems to be working to get him to regain his confidence.

Thank you. People here love to pick on Mark Kotsay, but when it comes to Beckham, not many people speak up.

He should have been down in AAA a loooong time ago, a la Alex Gordon. The way the Sox continue to mishandle him is just a travesty and painful to watch.

BadBobbyJenks
06-23-2010, 02:46 AM
He really isn't getting it together offensively, while the other guys ARE getting it done.

It is funny though, I was more encouraged by him tonight than games where he went 2-4 over the road trip. He hit a couple of ropes tonight right at someone or just foul.

JermaineDye05
06-23-2010, 02:52 AM
7 2-out RBI. That's amazing.

guillensdisciple
06-23-2010, 02:57 AM
This team is for real folks. This will be a special season for us White Sox fans- the White Sox got jealous of the Blackhawks and want that parade happening down Michigan Ave.

Lets go Sox!!!!!!

4.5 back, and the Twins and Tigers are feeling the heat.

kufram
06-23-2010, 03:43 AM
A team on a streak like this (and, yes, I don't care which teams they are beating they are all mlb teams) shouldn't be messed with just because of baseball theory. Everyone is playing a role. Some could be roles we can't see on the field. Beckham and Alexei are looking great defensively. Even Linebrink and Williams have roles i.e. coming in at garbage time and letting others rest. Ok, hard to justify for linebrink's money but every team has one or two. Linebrink is capable of suddenly coming good for a stretch... he's done it before. Maybe he'll come good later. With they way things are working for him right now the ASB is the best thing for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if KW surprises everybody (but me) and does find a trade for Linebrink if he proves to continue to be a liability and we are in a serious race... regardless of the money.

Anyway, it feels great to stick with a team and enjoy watching them turn it around. The pitching is making it possible backed up by the defense and TCQ is our ace in the hole, I think.

Of course I won't complain if a lefty bat that is a good fit is found.

palehozenychicty
06-23-2010, 06:52 AM

We did not beat him. We beat their pen.

harwar
06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
i thought this game would be a pitchers duel .. not quite what i expected but Johnny Danks settled after the 2nd inning .. anyway, it was a fun night at the park .. people seemed to be in a good mood until linebrink gave up that homerun .. can't believe the brewers beat the twins .. we are now officially an over .500 team :thumbsup: .. feels good .. my next goal for this team is to be 10 games over .500 ..

October26
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
i thought this game would be a pitchers duel .. not quite what i expected but Johnny Danks settled after the 2nd inning .. anyway, it was a fun night at the park .. people seemed to be in a good mood until linebrink gave up that homerun .. can't believe the brewers beat the twins .. we are now officially an over .500 team :thumbsup: .. feels good .. my next goal for this team is to be 10 games over .500 ..

That sounds fantastic. Keep the wins coming, White Sox! :D:

PS -> Hope Alexei's hand is okay. Any news this morning?

hi im skot
06-23-2010, 08:53 AM
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID425/images/DanksHaters.jpg

(courtesy of the Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-425-Chicago-White-Sox-Examiner%7Ey2010m6d23-White-Sox-knock-off-Braves-who-are-good-extend-winning-streak-to-seven?cid=publish_twitter:425))

TomBradley72
06-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Would a short trip down to AAA really help him?
However, he has been doing a good job at 2nd and perhaps if he was gone, the defense might decline. He and TCM seem to have the double play down to a science.

I don't see a win/win with him going down to AAA scenario.

I'd stick with him at least to the All Star break...he's making better contact now...but the ball isn't dropping for him. Defense is solid and with Vizquel at 3rd...our only real options at 2nd base are Lillibridge or someone from Charlotte. We're strong up the middle right now on defense (AJ/TCM/Beckham/Rios), I wouldn't disrupt that by sending him down.

Nelfox02
06-23-2010, 09:10 AM
PS -> Hope Alexei's hand is okay. Any news this morning?

Sox site posted that he has a cut and expects to play today.....the article was pretty vague but you have to figure if it was a break that news would be available by now?

#1swisher
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
I'd stick with him at least to the All Star break...he's making better contact now...but the ball isn't dropping for him. Defense is solid and with Vizquel at 3rd...our only real options at 2nd base are Lillibridge or someone from Charlotte. We're strong up the middle right now on defense (AJ/TCM/Beckham/Rios), I wouldn't disrupt that by sending him down.

This.
Good game, hope Alexei is alright.

hawkjt
06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
As of this past week, I have decided to just forget where guys averages are,like Gordon and Carlos, and simply look at if they are helping the team win right now....and they are. Gordo and Alexi are in a great rythmn in the field now, and I really think Gordo has had better at bats the last week or so...that line drive down the line last nite was only foul by a couple of feet,and that line drive in the gap was well struck. He is squaring it up better.
Don't mess with a winning streak....hope Alexi can go tonite.:D:

soxlady8
06-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I agree w ya Tom.
We all know he needs to swing the bat better, but he has been really good at defense. The Bridge seems to be doing okay, but I still would not
like him as an everyday player.

soxlady8
06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Another concern/issue I have is this:
What do we do with Teahen when he gets back?
Omar has been AWESOME.
I do not want to see Teahen back as an everyday player.
The guy is a nice guy, but FRUSTRATING.
I am no baseball expert, but I feel way too many balls get past him near the foul line.

harwar
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Another concern/issue I have is this:
What do we do with Teahen when he gets back?

lock him in the bathroom?

soxlady8
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Harwar -- sooo funny!

I would make Teahen a bench player if it were me .
Omar has been really great as of late and hopefully he won't slow down.

tstrike2000
06-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Day 7 of ChiSoxGirl being out of town and the Sox are 6-0 while I'm on the left coast! :party: Keep on rollin', boys!
Stay gone a little while longer.

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Harwar -- sooo funny!

I would make Teahen a bench player if it were me .
Omar has been really great as of late and hopefully he won't slow down.

Keep Vizquel at third. Have Teahen DH. He's no Thome, but he's better than Kotsay.

Chez
06-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Keep Vizquel at third. Have Teahen DH. He's no Thome, but he's better than Kotsay.

I don't think we can expect Omar to keep playing this well everyday through the dog days of summer. I expect to see Teahen get most of the starts at 3B when he's healthy.

tstrike2000
06-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't think we can expect Omar to keep playing this well everyday through the dog days of summer. I expect to see Teahen get most of the starts at 3B when he's healthy.

Even is Vizquel doesn't keep hitting as well, just him being in the field improves things and seems to help Alexei. I really hope not to see Teahen at 3B anytime soon.

kufram
06-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Teahen will play some third when he's back because Omar won't play every day. I'm hopeful that Teahen's game will pick up just like the rest of the team's has. Everybody played they're part (except Rios and PK.... and Freddie) in all the losses. Winning is just as infectious and I hope Teahen is infected like everyone else. Wouldn't come as a complete shock to me if he's much improved.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Teahen will play some third when he's back because Omar won't play every day. I'm hopeful that Teahen's game will pick up just like the rest of the team's has. Everybody played they're part (except Rios and PK.... and Freddie) in all the losses. Winning is just as infectious and I hope Teahen is infected like everyone else. Wouldn't come as a complete shock to me if he's much improved.He was also heating it up right as he got injured. He's batting .255, it's not like he's a complete bum. I hope his defense just feeds off of everyone else.

kufram
06-23-2010, 01:01 PM
He was also heating it up right as he got injured. He's batting .255, it's not like he's a complete bum. I hope his defense just feeds off of everyone else.

No, he's not a bum and I don't like it when people malign players in a personal way. He's also not Omar and can't be expected to stop everything suddenly. I think his bat will prove to be useful and hopefully his defense will be under less pressure.

It seems that some people missed the importance of signing Omar... SOMEbody knew what they were doing. Of course, it couldn't possibly be Kenny or Ozzie.

hi im skot
06-23-2010, 01:30 PM
It seems that some people missed the importance of signing Omar... SOMEbody knew what they were doing. Of course, it couldn't possibly be Kenny or Ozzie.

I don't recall anyone actually being upset with the Vizquel signing. I doubt anyone expected him to make the on-field contributions he's made thus far, but many of us looked at him as playing more of a coaching role.

I'm thrilled he's made some noise lately.

pudge
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
The 1983 White Sox went into their June 25 game against the Twins with a four-game winning streak and a .500 record at 33-33 and finished the day a game above .500. They were still in fourth place, 2.5 games out of first, and they would lose the next afternoon. But they didn't fall below .500 for the rest of the season. The 1983 team didn't make it to first until July 18.

I like the way the 2010 White Sox have been playing lately, and I think they have the pitching talent to keep it up.

I am going to continue to roll my eyes at all the '83 references until this team wins its 99th game. It's not going to go down like '83. If we pull this out, it's going to be in the 91-92 win range and a dogfight with at least one other team. Not that I wouldn't take 99 wins.

TDog
06-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Even is Vizquel doesn't keep hitting as well, just him being in the field improves things and seems to help Alexei. I really hope not to see Teahen at 3B anytime soon.

I am guessing that when Teahen comes back, he and Viciedo will split the DH duties, each occasionally spelling Vizquel at third. Vizquel won't play every day, but he will probably get more starts than anyone else at third. Wearing Vizquel down should have consequences on his offense, but not his defense. On days that he doesn't start, he may well come in as a late-inning defensive replacement.

That assumes that Lillibridge will be sent down. It is possible that Viciedo will be sent down, the White Sox already having a right-handed hitter who is best suited for DH in Quentin. Lillibridge can play anywere on the infield or outfield, and this season he has been a successful pinch-hitter, although not against elite relievers in pressure situations. He also can run. He is the last position player on the active roster, but with his versatility, I don't think it's a given that he would go back down. It probably depends on the plans the White Sox have for Viciedo.

hi im skot
06-23-2010, 02:59 PM
I am guessing that when Teahen comes back, he and Viciedo will split the DH duties, each occasionally spelling Vizquel at third. Vizquel won't play every day, but he will probably get more starts than anyone else at third. Wearing Vizquel down should have consequences on his offense, but not his defense. On days that he doesn't start, he may well come in as a late-inning defensive replacement.

That assumes that Lillibridge will be sent down. It is possible that Viciedo will be sent down, the White Sox already having a right-handed hitter who is best suited for DH in Quentin. Lillibridge can play anywere on the infield or outfield, and this season he has been a successful pinch-hitter, although not against elite relievers in pressure situations. He also can run. He is the last position player on the active roster, but with his versatility, I don't think it's a given that he would go back down. It probably depends on the plans the White Sox have for Viciedo.

If Viciedo isn't going to see regular playing time, it makes more sense (for all the reasons you listed) to have Lillibridge as the 25th man.

TDog
06-23-2010, 03:32 PM
I am going to continue to roll my eyes at all the '83 references until this team wins its 99th game. It's not going to go down like '83. If we pull this out, it's going to be in the 91-92 win range and a dogfight with at least one other team. Not that I wouldn't take 99 wins.

So the eye rolling has gone from scoffing at the possibility of the White Sox coming back to contend as the 1983 team did to the possibility of the 2010 White Sox winning 99 games as the 1983 team did?

TDog
06-23-2010, 03:55 PM
If Viciedo isn't going to see regular playing time, it makes more sense (for all the reasons you listed) to have Lillibridge as the 25th man.

As I wrote, it depends on how the White Sox want to use him. It was obvious to me Sunday (and I posted as much) that the White Sox didn't plan to plug Viciedo into the DH spot. They have a third baseman who can't play every day and is not as effective offensively against southpaws. They sent down their defense-challenged, weak-hitting backup third baseman, and brought up Viciedo. When Teahen comes back, the White Sox will have two third baseman who this season have been replaced in the lineup in favor of Nix.

Lillibridge has only played third in one major league game, and it looks like he has never played there in the minors. I doubt the White Sox want to plug in Lillibridge at third, both for offensive and defensive considerations.

At the same time, if Teahen is available from the left side, I don't see Viciedo getting many DH starts against righties.

It's possible I'm wrong and Viciedo will be eased into the full-time DH role within the next couple of weeks, but that isn't the role he was initially brought up to fill, considering that to bring him up the White Sox cut someone who was unsuccessful in a specific, necessary role for the team.

cards press box
06-23-2010, 04:03 PM

When Teahan returns, maybe the Sox designate Scott Linebrink for assignment.

sox1970
06-23-2010, 04:12 PM
When Teahan returns, maybe the Sox designate Scott Linebrink for assignment.

Ok, but what about when Teahen returns?