PDA

View Full Version : TCM's Defense...

voodoochile
06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I know he's the whipping boy of some folks, but man he's coming on in leaps and bounds and him and Beckham are clearly finding a comfort zone on the DP. That's all with my eyes, but here's what many people consider the best defensive stat to back it up...

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2010&month=0

DirtySox
06-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Right on Voodoo. Alexei has looked great this year in the field. He is playing for peanuts as well. Most of the Alexei hate around here is unwarranted.

Craig Grebeck
06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I endorse both posts. Both the eye test and advanced defensive statistics favor Alexei. He's been wonderful to watch this year.

And, not to hijack the thread, so has Juan Pierre. He's been a joy to watch in LF.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2010, 10:16 PM
The difference between Alexei's defense now and where it was last year is night and day. He will still make the occasional error as will every fielder, but I don't see the mental mistakes he made last year. His only problem now, as Stone is quick to point out, is when he will lob a throw, it's always in the dirt.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I endorse both posts. Both the eye test and advanced defensive statistics favor Alexei. He's been wonderful to watch this year.

And, not to hijack the thread, so has Juan Pierre. He's been a joy to watch in LF.

Pierre has been remarkably better than what I thought it would be. His only problem is his arm, but that's not going to change.

Noneck
06-22-2010, 10:19 PM
A veteran presence such as Cabrera and now Vizquel on the field, usually will make the others better.

SI1020
06-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Not just TCM, the entire Sox team defense has exceeded my expectations this year. Outside of TCQ and Teahen everyone is pretty much holding up well IMO.

GoGoCrede
06-22-2010, 10:25 PM
A veteran presence such as Cabrera and now Vizquel on the field, usually will make the others better.

And I know Viciedo was just called up so this probably isn't much of a factor, but I bet Alexei's happy to have him here. Someone mentioned how close they were during ST. I know losing Contreras was hard on Alexei.

voodoochile
06-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Not just TCM, the entire Sox team defense has exceeded my expectations this year. Outside of TCQ and Teahen everyone is pretty much holding up well IMO.

Carlos seems to be doing better of late too. I think he's finding his feet and that maybe one of the reasons he's starting to hit too... It might also be the opposite. He's starting to hit so he's able to relax in the field.

SoxNation05
06-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I've always backed Alexei and I have had a soft side for him so it is great to see hiis fielding coming around. With the scarcity at SS we really have a bargain with him at 1-1.5 million a year.

Crede24Thome25
06-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I hope his finger isn't broken, would suck to loose him.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I hope his finger isn't broken, would suck to loose him.He almost stayed in the game, and was probably just taken out because it was the 9th and we were up by so much. I'm sure he's fine, mainly because he just went to the bench, instead of going down to get more attention. I hope his fine, and have a gut feeling he is. Maybe one day of rest even if he says he's fine, just so we can finally see some Viciedo...

KMcMahon817
06-22-2010, 10:53 PM

Glad to see you can admit a mistake with Juany. :D:

Craig Grebeck
06-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Glad to see you can admit a mistake with Juany. :D:
His offense is a story for another thread but yes, his defense certainly has caught me off guard.

BadBobbyJenks
06-23-2010, 12:38 AM
He has been my personal whipping boy, but I agree.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-23-2010, 12:52 AM
My biggest concern has always been with the throws in the dirt, and at the beginning of the year I was still seeing it, but I think he's made strides. I'm happy with him as our SS, hopefully he's not seriously injured.

Madscout
06-23-2010, 01:25 AM
My biggest concern is that I just don't see him being a very smart baseball player. He is extremely talented: great arm, great physical instincts, great range. But he is clueless in the finer points of the game: where to be on cut-offs especially. Luckily, Omar is here to put his arm around him and tutor him.

TheVulture
06-23-2010, 02:42 AM
His offense is a story for another thread but yes, his defense certainly has caught me off guard.

I believe you stated that you'd eat your hat if he posted a .340 OBP this year. It looks like your hat is safe for now, though he's gone a bit above .340 since the beginning of May.

palehozenychicty
06-23-2010, 06:58 AM
My biggest concern is that I just don't see him being a very smart baseball player. He is extremely talented: great arm, great physical instincts, great range. But he is clueless in the finer points of the game: where to be on cut-offs especially. Luckily, Omar is here to put his arm around him and tutor him.

Indeed. He has played better of late. I'm sure he'll be fine.

harwar
06-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Alexei always seems to heat up with the weather offensively but he started flashing the leather when Omar took the field beside him .. Ramirez doesn't seem to be to strong mentally or emotionally but Vizquel is a rock out there and Alexei needs that .. Viciedo and he might be buddies but putttung that guy at 3rd next to Alexei is a big mistake in my opinion .. i just hope he didn't tear his nail half-way off .. i did that on a longline boat once and it's REALLY hard to do anything with that hand ..

white sox bill
06-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Speaking of TCM any word on his condition?

eriqjaffe
06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe it's a split fingernail, and he's "day-to-day".

voodoochile
06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I believe it's a split fingernail, and he's "day-to-day".

A little crazy glue he should be good to go...

boiker
06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Pierre has been remarkably better than what I thought it would be. His only problem is his arm, but that's not going to change.

I've long considered Pierre's defensive liability to be his arm. He's always shown me he can get decent to good jumps and his speed allows him to make up errors in his decision making. As long as you don't need to test his arm, he'll be fine.

eriqjaffe
06-23-2010, 02:39 PM
A little crazy glue he should be good to go...He's in the lineup tonight, so I guess he's fine.

fram40
06-23-2010, 04:48 PM
I know he's the whipping boy of some folks, but man he's coming on in leaps and bounds and him and Beckham are clearly finding a comfort zone on the DP. That's all with my eyes, but here's what many people consider the best defensive stat to back it up...

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2010&month=0

I don't understand these new fangled stats - but the link shows Ramirez has the Ultimate zone rating - by a good margin. Alexei is leading at 13.4 while second place (Escobar) is 9.6.

That is a significant difference.

fram40
06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
ESPN.com - using standard zone rating - has Alexai last in the AL among shortstops