PDA

View Full Version : Are the Sox interested in Adam Dunn?

Rockabilly
06-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Ken Rosenthal mentioned a few times this week that the Sox are seeking a big LH bat.

Could it be than Sox brought up Dayan to showcase him in front of the Nats this past weekend for Dunn.

I would love to see the Sox go after Prince Fielder instead

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Well they did a pretty ****ty job of showcasing him, then. He played in one of three games.

voodoochile
06-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Well they did a pretty ****ty job of showcasing him, then. He played in one of three games.

But the game he actually appeared in, he looked good because he was set up to succeed against a pitcher who was struggling...

Rockabilly
06-22-2010, 06:16 PM

I agree he should have played in sat game as well. Maybe they wanted the best opportunity for him to succeed.

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 06:20 PM
But the game he actually appeared in, he looked good because he was set up to succeed against a pitcher who was struggling...

I agree that he looked alright, but I'm sure the Nationals would have wanted to see him in more than one game if they were really interested in him - and I'm guessing the Sox WOULD have played him if they were seriously interested in Dunn.

While I hope they are interested in Dunn, I doubt Dayan was brought up for that reason against the Nats.

Craig Grebeck
06-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Bringing him up to face the John Lannans of the world isn't going to fool Mike Rizzo. Dayan would have been better off staying in Charlotte instead of riding the pine behind pieces of **** like Mark Kotsay.

balke
06-22-2010, 07:14 PM
I was trying to narrow down available lefty DH types. I came up with Bradley (switch hitter), Dunn, Berkman (Switch hitter)

Does anyone have a good source to narrow down left handed batters in the MLB?

thomas35forever
06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
We've given up enough young talent in trades. Besides, we already have a guy by the name of Alex Rios that has been pretty productive.

Domeshot17
06-22-2010, 08:02 PM
We've given up enough young talent in trades. Besides, we already have a guy by the name of Alex Rios that has been pretty productive.

And it takes more than 1 hitter to win.

The problem is the Sox have nothing to offer at all. The Nats will surely get Type A for Dunn, and Jordan Danks is pretty far from 1st round compensation. The Nats probably wouldn't want a kind of meh prospect in Phlegley, so it is all moot.

More likely is a guy like Laroche. Good power, fair average, 800 ops guy, not great, but worlds better than dog **** Mark Kotsay

TheVulture
06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Dayan would have been better off staying in Charlotte instead of riding the pine behind pieces of **** like Mark Kotsay.

Come on, now. Kotsay's a fine guy to have on the bench, it's not his fault Ozzie keeps batting him in the middle of the order.

Piece of ****? That's just uncalled for.

GAsoxfan
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM

The problem is the Sox have nothing to offer at all. The Nats will surely get Type A for Dunn, and Jordan Danks is pretty far from 1st round compensation. The Nats probably wouldn't want a kind of meh prospect in Phlegley, so it is all moot.

More likely is a guy like Laroche. Good power, fair average, 800 ops guy, not great, but worlds better than dog **** Mark Kotsay

LaRoche has been a second-half terror over the last few years. Over the past three seasons, his post-All Star line is a .309 BA and .908 OPS.

asindc
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM

The bigger problem is that Dunn does not want to DH, though he is an even worse defensive player than Teahen.

mzh
06-22-2010, 11:55 PM
So I looked through pretty much all of baseball, and came up with this list of lefty power bats that could be available.

Carlos Delgado- Free agent, supposedly should be ready to go soon. Just a year removed from hitting 38 HR, so he might be worth a shot.

Adam Dunn- Hitting .275/17, he might actually be our most realistic target. We might be able to pry him loose for Viciedo, but I would be pretty hesitant to do that because unless Dunn signs long term and we re-sign Paulie, that leaves some glaring holes at 1B/DH, at given the age of both PK and Dunn that might be true in the long run either way.

Lance Berkman- Hitting .237/6, albeit hurt. Maybe we could capitalize on his poor play this year and buy low on him, especially with his contract. Still not sure what it would take to get him, and it carries the same concerns as with Dunn. The Sox, IIRC, have in fact inquired about Berkman this year.

Prince Fielder- I can dream can't I? Brewers are out of contention, maybe Viciedo+Flowers? Please? :redneck

Garrett Jones- This guy is about to turn 29, and the Pirates being the Pirates, he'll be far on the wrong side of 30 before they get back into contention. He could be a dark horse trade candidate IMO. This is bolded because I actually like this guy and would like to see us get him. I guess he's a slightly poorer man's Dunn, meaning he has outfield flexibility as well.

Adam LaRoche- Much has been discussed on his part, it depends on what he could be had for.

Todd Helton- Contract just got restructured IIRC. Doubt he's going anywhere, but maybe...

Craig Grebeck
06-23-2010, 12:02 AM
So I looked through pretty much all of baseball, and came up with this list of lefty power bats that could be available.

Carlos Delgado- Free agent, supposedly should be ready to go soon. Just a year removed from hitting 38 HR, so he might be worth a shot.

Adam Dunn- Hitting .275/17, he might actually be our most realistic target. We might be able to pry him loose for Viciedo, but I would be pretty hesitant to do that because unless Dunn signs long term and we re-sign Paulie, that leaves some glaring holes at 1B/DH, at given the age of both PK and Dunn that might be true in the long run either way.

Lance Berkman- Hitting .237/6, albeit hurt. Maybe we could capitalize on his poor play this year and buy low on him, especially with his contract. Still not sure what it would take to get him, and it carries the same concerns as with Dunn. The Sox, IIRC, have in fact inquired about Berkman this year.

Prince Fielder- I can dream can't I? Brewers are out of contention, maybe Viciedo+Flowers? Please? :redneck

Garrett Jones- This guy is about to turn 29, and the Pirates being the Pirates, he'll be far on the wrong side of 30 before they get back into contention. He could be a dark horse trade candidate IMO. This is bolded because I actually like this guy and would like to see us get him. I guess he's a slightly poorer man's Dunn, meaning he has outfield flexibility as well.

Adam LaRoche- Much has been discussed on his part, it depends on what he could be had for.

Todd Helton- Contract just got restructured IIRC. Doubt he's going anywhere, but maybe...
That's an extraordinarily charitable characterization of Jones.

Sam Spade
06-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Come on, now. Kotsay's a fine guy to have on the bench, it's not his fault Ozzie keeps batting him in the middle of the order.

I agree completely.

kittle42
06-23-2010, 01:01 AM

I agree completely.

Me, too. Piece of crap is much more called for.

Craig Grebeck
06-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Edit: Piece of **** baseball player.

Sam Spade
06-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Edit: Piece of **** baseball player.
That's more like it.