PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Harrleson going part time?

Rockabilly
06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Yesterday I heard on WSCR believe it was the Dan McNeil show. One of the host said that starting next year Hawk will be going part time

Anyone else hear this? If its true. I hope they hire Black Jack

dickallen15
06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Black Jack burned his bridges. I really doubt Hawk will be going part time. He loves what he does, even the travel.

kaufsox
06-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Black Jack is ok as an analyst, but they would need to bring someone in who could actually do play by play. Having said that, I can't believe Hawk would go part-time.

dwalteroo
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Didn't hear it, but that sounds like it was just speculation surrounding the Santo story. Hawk absolutely loves announcing; I can't imagine him leaving the booth unless he were somehow unable.

Rockabilly
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
I hope that Hawk does the games for many more years to come..

tacosalbarojas
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM
I did hear this segment on the Score, which was really about Santo. Nothing I heard at any point indicated anything official or otherwise about Hawk going part time next year. It was more of a 'what if' scenario. Personally, I believe Hawk when he says he wants to die in the booth.

BleacherBandit
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm a Hawk fan. I can't believe he'll be going part-time due to his personality. He is getting up there in age, but think about all the other old-timers that made it to the booth...Vin Scully (although he is part time now, he was broadcasting every game up until a few years ago), Harry Kalas etc.

MarySwiss
06-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Another Hawk fan here. I hope he's around as long as he wants to be; I've been a fan of his since the old "Double-D and the Hawk" days. :smile:

DirtySox
06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I will throw a party if this is true. :)

Coops4Aces
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
You probably misheard (or "misremembered" :tongue:). Santo is going part time. No way Hawk is.

eriqjaffe
06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Vin Scully (although he is part time now, he was broadcasting every game up until a few years ago)Scully had been in the Dodgers' booth for over a decade when Harrelson broke in to the bigs, even.

TDog
06-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Scully had been in the Dodgers' booth for over a decade when Harrelson broke in to the bigs, even.

Vin Scully began doing Brooklyn Dodgers games when Ken Harrelson was 9 years old.

DumpJerry
06-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Santo is going part-time next year. He'll travel to Midwest cities only because of his physical limitations from his Diabetes.

Black Jack can't do the job because he has kids at home and does not want to be away from them so often. He did a great job filling in for Hawk in '05 when Hawk was out for a spell.

CLR01
06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I will throw a party if this is true. :)

I'll bring the chips and party hats.

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM

And I'll bring the Yaz pinata.

DumpJerry
06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
And I'll bring the Yaz pinata.
I'm waiting for the day Yaz is interviewed live and the interview asks "what was it like playing with Ken Harrelson?" and Yaz responds, with a confused look on his face, "Who?"

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm waiting for the day Yaz is interviewed live and the interview asks "what was it like playing with Ken Harrelson?" and Yaz responds, with a confused look on his face, "Who?"

Hawk reminds me of Buddy from the Incredibles when he was a little kid idolizing Mr. Incredible.

Over By There
06-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I like Hawk and hope he is around for a while. That said, if he does go, I would want a real professional PBP man in the booth with Stone, not someone like McDowell. I hope Stone is here long term.

thomas35forever
06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Hawk says he wants to take the Harry Kalas route and die in the booth. I truly believe that they'll have to pry the job away from his cold dead hands.

DumpJerry
06-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Hawk says he wants to take the Harry Kalas route and die in the booth. I truly believe that they'll have to pry the job away from his cold dead hands.
A couple more bad calls by an Ump and Hawk will be granted his wish.......

Rohan
06-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Hawk LOVES his "job." He'll be doing it till he dies.

GoGoCrede
06-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Can I come if I bring the Vin Scully classic audio clips? :smile: And some dip.

TheVulture
06-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Black Jack burned his bridges.
How so?

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 06:14 PM
How so?

Probably those articles he wrote last year on his blog ripping the Sox quite a bit. I can't remember the exact situation it was - but Hawk called him out on air about one of the posts.

akingamongstmen
06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I love Hawk and hope he sticks around for as long as he is physically able. Plus, I look forward to years of hilariousness as he struggles to pronounce "Shin-Soo Choo". That kills me every time.

GoGoCrede
06-22-2010, 08:17 PM
How so?

I think he criticized the calling up of Gordon Beckham. I don't really remember - but he questioned moves made by the management. Hawk and Stone went on a big tirade.

Noneck
06-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Probably those articles he wrote last year on his blog ripping the Sox quite a bit. I can't remember the exact situation it was - but Hawk called him out on air about one of the posts.

After BlackJack was made aware of the comments of Harrelson (That he should stop blogging), he pulled in his horns for the rest of last year and this year he is nowhere to be seen.

It is a shame, he was very straightforward and very informative. But I'm sure he realizes that he is still young and doesn't want to burn any more bridges.

Dub25
06-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm pretty sure I just read or heard that Hawk commutes back and forth from South Bend during homestands. So he travels even when they are at home.

CLR01
06-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Can I come if I bring the Vin Scully classic audio clips? :smile: And some dip.

I do love dip. The more the merrier I say.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I don't care either way about Hawk, but I really, really, really, really hope the Sox don't lose Steve Stone any time soon (unless he takes a job out of the booth and moves into baseball...I can't fault him for that).

I really love Steve Stone and everything he adds to the game.

sox1970
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I love Hawk and hope he sticks around for as long as he is physically able. Plus, I look forward to years of hilariousness as he struggles to pronounce "Shin-Soo Choo". That kills me every time.

I think somebody finally corrected him. He got it right the last series against the Indians.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-23-2010, 02:55 PM
I think he criticized the calling up of Gordon Beckham. I don't really remember - but he questioned moves made by the management. Hawk and Stone went on a big tirade.

That's not exactly how it happened. Hawk blew up without even reading Black Jack's article in context. I thought his article was well-written and brought up good objective arguments.

(I am trying to find the article now, but his blog archives don't seem to go back that far.)

SoxFan1979
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
i'm waiting for the day yaz is interviewed live and the interview asks "what was it like playing with ken harrelson?" and yaz responds, with a confused look on his face, "who?"

:d::d::d: