PDA

View Full Version : Ron Santo in the WGN Cubs Radio Booth

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2010, 08:32 AM
It seems the big topic on the radio yesterday was whether or not Ron Santo should remain in the Cubs radio booth on WGN. As you know, Santo is cutting back his presence on the air for the purpose of better maintaining his health. For example, Santo will not be working the Cubs' series this week in Seattle.

Some are saying that Santo should leave the radio booth altogether. The Cubs radio broadcast is not coverage of Cubs baseball but has become "The Pat & Ron Show." Pat Hughes' solid professional play-by-play of the action is compromised, critics say, by Ron Santo's emotional outbursts on the air. Moreover, critics of "The Pat & Ron Show" believe that Santo adds little analytical baseball insight to the broadcast and that he is sometimes out of touch with what is happening on the field.

Others find "The Pat & Ron Show" entertaining with the belief that Santo's outbursts are from his passion as a beloved longtime Cub. They feel broadcasts from a more analytical perspective are boring. Fans like how Pat and Ron play off each other.

What do you think?

pythons007
06-22-2010, 08:42 AM
I would have to think Pat Hughes has to be annoyed by Ron with his antics. If anyone has complaints about Hawk Harrelson, Ron Santo is at another level of terrible. I for one like Hawk, he brings at least some decent knowledge and stories from back in the day. Ron brings nothing but garbage, screaming, grunts, and farts for 9 innings.

jdm2662
06-22-2010, 08:43 AM
We need a broadcast with Hawk and Ronny. Now, that will be broadcast journalism at its finest. :redneck

soxfan43
06-22-2010, 08:48 AM
We need a broadcast with Hawk and Ronny. Now, that will be broadcast journalism at its finest. :redneck

I've been saying for years that those two should be in the booth together during the Cubs/Sox series every year. Those broadcasts would be epic. But in general, Santo is horrible on the air and he should just hang it up and get a Savard/Hull type ambassador job. I think he loses Hall of Fame support and votes each year he continues to broadcast horribly.

asindc
06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I would have to think Pat Hughes has to be annoyed by Ron with his antics. If anyone has complaints about Hawk Harrelson, Ron Santo is at another level of terrible. I for one like Hawk, he brings at least some decent knowledge and stories from back in the day. Ron brings nothing but garbage, screaming, grunts, and farts for 9 innings.

+1

Santo doesn't even pretend to give sound analysis. The only people who could possibly enjoy listenting to him are nostalgic Cubs fans who remember him from his playing days, and even then it would have to be a stretch.

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Ron Santo has never once made me say, "That's a good point" while listening to the game. At least Hawk will talk about situations and why a team will do what they do.

I feel bad for Pat Hughes. An amazing talent getting wasted. They should put Hollandsworth in there with him. I've always thought he was pretty good on CSN.

Boondock Saint
06-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Both Santo and Hawk should give it up. Their best days (and some would say even their listenable days) are behind them. It's great to have someone with an emotional attachment to the team calling the games, but the both of them take it to a point where the broadcast suffers for it. I imagine if the Sox/Cubs asked them to step away from the booth, and offered them some kind of ambassador type job within the organization, they'd take it.

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Both Santo and Hawk should give it up. Their best days (and some would say even their listenable days) are behind them. It's great to have someone with an emotional attachment to the team calling the games, but the both of them take it to a point where the broadcast suffers for it. I imagine if the Sox/Cubs asked them to step away from the booth, and offered them some kind of ambassador type job within the organization, they'd take it.

No way Hawk would accept that. They'd have to fire him, and you know that isn't happening

g0g0
06-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I find both extremely annoying. I don't need cute sayings and outbursts when watching/listening. I want solid play-by-play and some history thrown in for good measure.

Iwritecode
06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Pat Hughes' solid professional play-by-play of the action is compromised, critics say, by Ron Santo's emotional outbursts on the air.

Severely. Even my friend who is a die-hard Cubs fan can't stand Santo. There are times they'll miss an entire AB because Ron is stumbling through some story w/o pausing to give Pat a chance to do PBP.

Pat: Here comes Soriano to lead off the inning.
Ron: (mumbles through some story that has nothing to do with the game).
Pat: Two out now...

cws05champ
06-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I've been saying for years that those two should be in the booth together during the Cubs/Sox series every year. Those broadcasts would be epic. But in general, Santo is horrible on the air and he should just hang it up and get a Savard/Hull type ambassador job. I think he loses Hall of Fame support and votes each year he continues to broadcast horribly.
That would really be interesting to hear "OOHHH YEAH", overlayed with " DAGGUMMIT!!". Or "You can put it on the board, YES", with "Oh, no...Oh Man".

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
He needs to give it up.

They don't laugh with Ron, they laugh at him because of how bad he is. Not that he was ever a good announcer, but it's almost like he's become a shell of a shell of his former self. Pat Hughes is a terrific announcer, and has a voice made for baseball...it's a shame he's gotta sit next to this yammering doof every game.

Although if Hawk and Ron were to sit together for a game, I think it would get ratings simply because of people's mentality of "Well, let's see how bad it gets!"

Bobby Thigpen
06-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Ron Santo is terrible. He is the only announcer I'm convinced without a shadow of a doubt, that I could do a better job than.

He needs to give it up, but I'm sure the Cubs will let him hang around as long as he wants to.

Hughes is very good on the other hand. Maybe they should hire him to do PBP with Farmer.

cards press box
06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
What amazes me is his lack of knowledge about any team in the majors other than the Cubs, a point he candidly acknowledges.

soltrain21
06-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Ron Santo is terrible. He is the only announcer I'm convinced without a shadow of a doubt, that I could do a better job than.

He needs to give it up, but I'm sure the Cubs will let him hang around as long as he wants to.

Hughes is very good on the other hand. Maybe they should hire him to do PBP with Farmer.

The Cubs gig on WGN is a better job than the Sox on the Score.

SI1020
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Hawk has a schtick and you either like it or you don't. To compare him to Santo is extremely unfair. Santo is mind numbing.

Brewski
06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Not that I care, because I don't, but Ronnie is an institution and will be there as long as he wants, even though everyone, probably even himself, realizes he is adding nothing that is about baseball to a broadcast. His partner is a little bit too pompous for my taste in announcers, I know how much many of you like him.

Say, what does it mean when you have a "Day" for your long-time announcer? What happened to Carlton Fisk right after his "Day?"

PatK
06-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Hawk has a schtick and you either like it or you don't. To compare him to Santo is extremely unfair. Santo is mind numbing.

QFT!!

And a major difference is that for the most part, Hawk is listenable.

Ron never seems to have a clue what's going on. At times I think he's only there to beg and plead to get into the HoF.

Boondock Saint
06-22-2010, 11:02 AM

I don't see how "Complain nonstop about that bad call from six innings ago" and "Get pissed off and go silent when the Sox are getting their asses kicked" are part of a gimmick. His over-the-top calls for HR's and big plays is his thing.

SOXPHILE
06-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I have mixed feelings. Yes, Santo is beyond godawful. The Cubs Game fans who say they like him and he is fun and funny are baseball stupid and obviously don't care what information they are getting from the broadcast, and are the stereotype of why people say they don't know anything about baseball. We're not laughing with him, we're laughing at him and how bad he is. Grunting, groaning, and making other odd noises, as well as having absolutely no idea what's going on down on the field, that's considered fun ? How can one not be embarrassed to have that guy as a "color" guy on the radio.

On the other hand, the fact that he continues to be employed by them just keeps showing why the Cubs and the Cubs Game Fans who they cater to are the most pathetic in all of sports, and can be used as exibit A. I love it. Same reasons I wanted them to keep players like Milton Bradley, or for the media to shine the spotlight on jackass fans like Johnny Machione who threw beer on Shane Victorino last season. Why do you hate the Cubs ? Please see the following several dozen examples.

What's even more funny is how Cub-dumb, WGN and other media outlets portray Santo as this kind hearted, grandfatherly figure, or mascot, who is funny, and golly gee whiz, just wants to see the Cubs win (THIS IS THE YEAR ! I JUST KNOW IT !" ) The truth is he is a bitter old SOB, who was an ******* when he played, and to this day, is not liked by his peers. See the HOF Veterans comittee. He also uses his diabetes as a prop to promote himself in his never ending quest to get into the HOF.

TDog
06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
... For example, Santo will not be working the Cubs' series this week in Seattle.

I don't know if Santo has missed any other road series this season, but this one seems a rather odd choice in isolation considering that he grew up in Seattle.

white sox bill
06-22-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know if Santo has missed any other road series this season, but this one seems a rather odd choice in isolation considering that he grew up in Seattle.
I was wondering same, maybe they can't stand him either!

Ron is a courageous fighter and despite his babbling is a great spokesman for his terrible disease. He's about as passionate as you can get. I hope he lives to be 100.

That being said, he is likely the worst announcer ever to talk into a mic.

Bobby Thigpen
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
The Cubs gig on WGN is a better job than the Sox on the Score.
Not if you have to continue to work with Santo.:cool:

MinnySoxFan
06-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Nick Digilio has a "Pat and Ron Highlight Reel" Sunday nights on WGN Radio. After listening to those every week, I'm glad I don't listen to Cubs games.

Dick Allen
06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Santo is simply a mascot, nothing more, nothing less. And you don't see mascots in the radio booth.

VMSNS
06-22-2010, 11:31 PM
My girlfriend is a Cub fan, and every now and then I'll have to listen to the Cubs on the radio while in the car with her. Pardon the hyperbole, but I absolutely cannot listen to Santo without wanting to bash my head against a brick wall. The dude is just completely clueless and he makes listening to the Cubs absolutely impossible to enjoy on any level. Yes, Hawk is lame and corny and annoying at times, but Santo is on a completely different level of awfulness, and it's not even close. To even compare the two is just flat-out wrong.

I don't mind Hughes, I actually feel bad for him because he has to put up with Santo and his "commentary". The Cubs would be doing themselves a favor by removing Santo from the booth.

RadioheadRocks
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM
At least we've kept this thread on topic. Over on NSBB (I occasionally lurk there so you don't have to!), there's a thread about Santo cutting back his on-air time and all someone had to say was how he wouldn't live to see a World Series and the thread veered into a discussion analyzing their fan base's devotion. :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Over on NSBB (I occasionally lurk there so you don't have to!)Don't do it on my account. I have no desire to.