PDA

View Full Version : Breaking up with the Cubs

34rancher
06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I know some on this board are cubssessed, but I thought this article (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-tough/2010/06/breaking-up-with-the-cubs.html) was hilarious. I was trying to figure out if this was from a person or the Chicago Tribune in general. Enjoy or barf...

BadBobbyJenks
06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
I laughed a lot.

white sox bill
06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Wasn't it Neil Sadaka that said breaking up is hard to do??
I laughed, it was cute and cuddly story....

g0g0
06-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Man, if Wood and Prior hadn't been used like rag dolls...what a great pair when healthy.

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Man, if Wood and Prior hadn't been used like rag dolls...what a great pair when healthy.

Eh, I think Prior had some chemical assistance.

mzh
06-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Eh, I think Prior had some chemical assistance.
Based on what? IIRC there was a flaw exposed in his mechanics that was supposedly to blame for all the injuries.

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Based on what? IIRC there was a flaw exposed in his mechanics that was supposedly to blame for all the injuries.

This is really based on the fact that his velocity dropped about 14 mph in 2006-2007. Also when he came up EVERYONE was raving about his mechanics. Kerry Wood's mechanics raised some concerns, but Prior was proclaimed as the second coming of Tom Seaver, once he started getting hurt people pointed to his mechanics.

Another thing that led to him constantly being on the DL was that unlike Wood who would throw with his arm hanging on by a thread (like he did a couple of times in 1998), Prior would go onto the DL with the slightest discomfort.

mzh
06-21-2010, 08:59 PM
This is really based on the fact that his velocity dropped about 14 mph in 2006-2007. Also when he came up EVERYONE was raving about his mechanics. Kerry Wood's mechanics raised some concerns, but Prior was proclaimed as the second coming of Tom Seaver, once he started getting hurt people pointed to his mechanics.

Another thing that led to him constantly being on the DL was that unlike Wood who would throw with his arm hanging on by a thread (like he did a couple of times in 1998), Prior would go onto the DL with the slightest discomfort.
This, IMO, is what all that surgery can do for you. As Steve Stone once said, many times a pitcher comes back from shoulder surgery stronger than ever, but sometimes it just isn't the same, which is what I think happened with Prior.

As for the mechanics, the specific flaw that I believe was pointed out wa was the so called "inverted W" motion with the arms, which puts a lot of stress on the shoulder. Somebody here posted a link pointing out the same flaw in none other than future HOFer Stephen Strasburg.

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2010, 09:14 PM
This, IMO, is what all that surgery can do for you. As Steve Stone once said, many times a pitcher comes back from shoulder surgery stronger than ever, but sometimes it just isn't the same, which is what I think happened with Prior.

As for the mechanics, the specific flaw that I believe was pointed out wa was the so called "inverted W" motion with the arms, which puts a lot of stress on the shoulder. Somebody here posted a link pointing out the same flaw in none other than future HOFer Stephen Strasburg.

Strasburg's mechanics have been linked frequently to Prior's.

As for the shoulder surgery, yea, that certainly plays a factor in velocity drop, but Wood has had as many surgeries (maybe more) than Prior but he can still get it up there. Prior went from throwing 94+ to barely breaking 80 almost overnight.

guillensdisciple
06-22-2010, 02:46 AM
I am sorry, but I don't see how we're the evil step brother. If anything, we're the older brother who gets overlooked because of the younger one.

Sam Spade
06-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Ouch for angels fans.

g0g0
06-22-2010, 08:59 AM
I am sorry, but I don't see how we're the evil step brother. If anything, we're the older brother who gets overlooked because of the younger one.

Aren't the Cubs older than the Sox? You could always go the Fredo/Michael route.

WhiffleBall
06-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Aren't the Cubs older than the Sox? You could always go the Fredo/Michael route.

The Cubs were founded in 1870 and the White Sox were founded in 1893.

PatK
06-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Based on the fact that he has become noticeably smaller and less muscular a la Sammy Sosa and Pudge Rodriguez

FielderJones
06-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Sioux City or Saint Paul?

SephClone89
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
This is a really bad "article."

Foulke You
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
The White Sox as a Major League team, were established in 1901. The same year the American League opened for business. The Cubs weren't established as a Major League team until 1876 which is when they joined the National League. 1901 (Sox) and 1876 (Cubs) are the recognized "established" dates for both teams since that is when they began as Major League franchises. However, you are correct that the roots of the teams go back a little further than that.

Milw
06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
The White Sox as a Major League team, were established in 1901. The same year the American League opened for business. The Cubs weren't established as a Major League team until 1876 which is when they joined the National League. 1901 (Sox) and 1876 (Cubs) are the recognized "established" dates for both teams since that is when they began as Major League franchises. However, you are correct that the roots of the teams go back a little further than that.
While the American League declared itself a second major league in 1901, the White Sox did win the AL pennant in 1900, and the banner on the light tower in right center acknowledges that league championship.

Just saying.

RadioheadRocks
06-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Wasn't it Neil Sadaka that said breaking up is hard to do??
I laughed, it was cute and cuddly story....

Yes, he had his hit version in 1962, then had a hit all over again with a mellow version in early 1976 ("you tell me that you're leavin'...")