PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "SWEEP and Back to .500!" 6-20 Postgame Thread

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Yes, hell yes!

This is the happiest and most optimistic that I've felt about this team since Opening Day.

Don't stop now, boys.

twentywontowin
06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Grey skies have cleared up.

Sockinchisox
06-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Oh hey look, we're average again.

Perfect 6-0 week, and an 8-1 road trip. Awesome.

Brian26
06-20-2010, 03:17 PM
10 of the last 11, and 11 out of the last 13.

Is that correct?

Seventh best road trip in team history at 8-1.

ElevenUp
06-20-2010, 03:18 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5ghmknfRGW4/SAwDSwjzrvI/AAAAAAAAAC0/oP3sjOTFYJM/s320/streaking.jpg

We're going streaking!!!!:gulp:

GoGoCrede
Oh, and thanks to the mod for adding the second asterisk to my thread title. I forgot to do it before I pressed Submit. :smile:

Now let's see if we can make our home record better.

LITTLE NELL
Back to .500, last week we were hoping maybe by the end of June there was a chance at .500. Keep it going, don't stop now. This could be another 1983. Whats the magic number?

Sockinchisox
Oh, and thanks to the mod for adding the second asterisk to my thread title. I forgot to do it before I pressed Submit. :smile:

Now let's see if we can make our home record better.

Will be interesting, the Braves are not a good road team and we're not a great home team.

palehozenychicty
06-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Nice job by cleaning up against the Bucs and Nats. Now let's see if we can do it against the AL and at home. :D:

Brian26

I like it to look nice too. :D:

SoxSpeed22
Yay 500.
Viciedo got good swings on the ball for his first game. Freddy had one rough inning, but otherwise, got it done.
Back to home, where we have to play actual Major League teams. Let's hope this continues.

Shoeless
06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Imagine if we were an NL team

harwar
06-20-2010, 03:21 PM
i see gogo won the race to the postgame thread lol .. i always enjoy seeing who's first .. what a fun road trip .. and one hell of a great run .. if we had won that last game against the cubs we would be on an 11 game winning streak .. as it stands we are on a 6 game winning streak .. just totally amazing ..

harwar
06-20-2010, 03:23 PM
the air up here at .500 feels different :)

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Will be interesting, the Braves are not a good road team and we're not a great home team.

Will we be seeing little game Javy? I haven't looked at the matchups yet.

Sockinchisox
06-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Will we be seeing little game Javy? I haven't looked at the matchups yet.

We saw him earlier this year.

When we played the Yankees.

sox1970
06-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Can this team go 57-37? If they pitch like this, hell yes. Get another bat, Kenny.

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:25 PM
We saw him earlier this year.

When we played the Yankees.

Wow....where is my brain? Total embarrassing moment right here. :redface::redface::redface:

thomas35forever
06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
This team could have easily just bended and folded after the Nats rallied to take the lead, but they got right back into it on offense and never looked back. Good job by Freddy and nice that Thornton and Putz were able to continue the dominance. This team is hot right now. Let's get back into this thing!

GoGoCrede
...huh? He got traded to the Yankees, dude.

And for what it's worth, he's proven to be little game Javy up in NY, too.

Yeah....I really need to start paying attention to what's going on around the league, not just the Sox. :redface: I can't BELIEVE I forgot that.

Over By There
Keep it up boys. When you're winning the beer tastes better. :)

voodoochile
:sweep :sweep

Gonna wear out our brooms at this rate. Scary to think it could have been 4 in a row...

Love to see the offense hit like that. 15 hits and again, no homers, though I wouldn't mind seeing a few homers again some day soon. The Sox are winning like they were supposed to be winning, great pitching and consistent offense.

Wonderful to be back to .500...

:soxwin:

:)

hi im skot
06-20-2010, 03:27 PM
This is fun!

DonnieDarko
Yeah....I really need to start paying attention to what's going on around the league, not just the Sox. :redface: I can't BELIEVE I forgot that.

Whoops, didn't delete it fast enough it seems. >_>

Now a little embarrassment for me, too.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Two weeks ago, everyone was counting down the days until the fire sale began.

Now, we're a continuation of this torrid stretch away from being buyers.

White Sox Baseball: It's Black and White.

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Whoops, didn't delete it fast enough it seems. >_>

Now a little embarrassment for me, too.

I was going to delete it, but decided I'd better just own it. Oh, well. Javy still sucks. :smile:

Also, it was really great to see Viciedo play! He was robbed of a hit in his first AB.

mccoydp
06-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes, hell yes!

This is the happiest and most optimistic that I've felt about this team since Opening Day.

Don't stop now, boys.

Is it too early to start humming "Don't Stop Believing"?

Good win today. I was worried about Freddy Garcia for a bit, but everything turned out for the best.

Keep the streak going, Sox! :gulp:

harwar
06-20-2010, 03:31 PM
the braves series should be amazing .. by far, the best NL team we will have faced so far .. the pitching match-up's will be incredible .. anyway life is good

Farsouthside
06-20-2010, 03:31 PM
What are we 8 or 9 games behind the Twins now? The other 2 teams that actually matter are going to have to help out by losing too.

I think its great we are seeing signs of life but I wish we were doing it in the ALC instead of the stinking national league.

Go Sox!

hi im skot
06-20-2010, 03:33 PM
What are we 8 or 9 games behind the Twins now? The other 2 teams that actually matter are going to have to help out by losing too.

I think its great we are seeing signs of life but I wish we were doing it in the ALC instead of the stinking national league.

Go Sox!

Try five and a half out.:bandance:

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Go Sox!

5.5 behind the Twins, since they won today. So did Detroit.

edit - Beat me to it.

soltrain21
06-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Go Sox!

5 and a half, but nice try.

This was unexpected and very welcomed. We are back in this bitch.

DonnieDarko
06-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I was going to delete it, but decided I'd better just own it. Oh, well. Javy still sucks. :smile:

Also, it was really great to see Viciedo play! He was robbed of a hit in his first AB.

...wait you were going to delete my post? 'Cause that's what I was talking about.

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:35 PM
...wait you were going to delete my post? 'Cause that's what I was talking about.

No, I was going to delete mine with my Javy error.

DonnieDarko
06-20-2010, 03:35 PM
No, I was going to delete mine with my Javy error.

Ah, fair enough. Now everything seems so clear. :cool:

Farsouthside
06-20-2010, 03:38 PM
5.5 behind the Twins, since they won today. So did Detroit.

edit - Beat me to it.

Ahhha... maybe its time to start looking at the standings again!!!

Go Sox.

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Ahhha... maybe its time to start looking at the standings again!!!

Go Sox.

No problem. I bet you knew Javy was with the Yankees now, anyway. :smile:

LITTLE NELL
06-20-2010, 03:40 PM
the air up here at .500 feels different :)

Smells better too.

October26
06-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Fun is winning and winning is fun! Sox sweep again - YES! :bandance:

Happy Father's Day to my dad who taught me to love the White sox as much as I do. I just called him and told him this sweep is for you, daddy. His response: I'll take it and GO WHITE SOX! :) HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Is it too early to start humming "Don't Stop Believing"?

Good win today. I was worried about Freddy Garcia for a bit, but everything turned out for the best.

Keep the streak going, Sox! :gulp:

I say right now is a good time! I'm still a little upset that the Twins used it last season when they were making their run to get into the playoffs. Let's take it back!

WhiteSox1989
06-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Love the enthusiasm.

Happy to see them at .500. Keep it rolling.

BadBobbyJenks
06-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Well this team was built around a pitching staff and finally they are coming through. 2.19 era on the road trip. I am cautiously optimistic that this could be for real.

Rios and Konerko should both be playing in Anaheim in a few weeks.

Danks vs Hanson on Tuesday is going to be a fun one, glad I picked up tickets for it.

thomas35forever
06-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I hope you folks have learned not to give up on your team and call for fire sales so early on. I know I have (though I never called for a fire sale).

October26
06-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I say right now is a good time! I'm still a little upset that the Twins used it last season when they were making their run to get into the playoffs. Let's take it back!

Let's do it - that's our song, daggummitt!!! :tongue:

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 03:54 PM
I hope you folks have learned not to give up on your team and call for fire sales so early on. I know I have (though I never called for a fire sale).

Oh, okay, Superfan. :cool:

TomParrish79
06-20-2010, 03:56 PM
good to be back at .500 hope we continue playing well

Farsouthside
06-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Thats good advice. But I can see how a majority of fans may not even get too excited about sweeping 2 last place national league teams and getting to .500. We are supposed to do that at least.

But hell, right now I will take mediocrity!!! Go Sox! I hope it carrys over to the AL.

Madscout
06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
That makes 11 quality starts in a row. We win as long as our pitching keeps this up, and we execute when we have to on offense.

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Is it too early to start humming "Don't Stop Believing"? :gulp:

I hate that friggin' song!!

A better suggestion: The Beatles' "Getting Better".
Mainly because the Sox are . Let's see what the next 2 series bring.:)

hi im skot
06-20-2010, 04:04 PM

http://www.nursesblog.com.sg/shefaly/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pat.jpg

Red Barchetta
06-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Would anyone have believed us if we were told a month ago this team would be .500 with 20 games to go before the All-Star Break?! Awesome.

Now let's improve on that less than stellar home record!

harwar
06-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I hate that friggin' song!!

A better suggestion: The Beatles' "Getting Better".
Mainly because the Sox are . Let's see what the next 2 series bring.:)

how bout "whole lotta rosie" lol .. keeps in sync with the opening song at home

TDog
06-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Imagine if we were an NL team

The Sox would likely have to play some NL teams that have winning records by season's end. That hasn't happened in Interleague play yet this year for the Sox, although it will next week. People might consider the team's interleague schedule to be fortunately easy, but remaining are the Braves and Cubs, and the Cubs always play the White Sox tough.

That is to take nothing away from the roadtrip. The Sox were beating pitchers they hadn't faced before. Today they beat a lefty they hadn't faced before. They even held their own against the phenom rookie, and had two starters in the series who pitched better games than he did. The Sox are playing great baseball. Except for the big inning today that knocked out the starter, the Sox scored all their runs in this series with two out hits with runners in scoring position.

For years, people have been complaining that the Sox can't score unless they hit home runs. Now they haven't hit a home run in more than a week, and they won seven of the eight games. It's probably time for people to start complaining that they don't have enough power, I guess.

Garcia wasn't going to have enough to pitch a shutout on a humid 90-degree day, but, as he has done in most of his starts, he gave the Sox the starting pitching they needed to win.

One key to the game was Viciedo and Beckham getting hits with two outs in the fourth so that Garcia wouldn't have to bat in the fifth. With the top of the order coming up in the fifth, Lannan couldn't get anyone out his third time through the order. That, essentially, was the ballgame, along with Garcia holding the Nationals through three runs and turning the game over to the bullpen with a two-run lead.

Viciedo looked good against the left-handed starter. He had a good matchup for his debut. Against right-handed pitching out of the pen, wasn't as effective. You can't tell if his hitting pitches throwing either right or left is indicative of today. The coaching staff probably has a better idea. But I don't know that it's a given he will DH against right-handed pitchers. Certainly it's not a given that if he does he will be successful. Until Teahen comes back, he will probably start at third against left-handed pitchers. And I'm guessing it would upset people to some someone else as a designated hitter.

I have been assuming that Lillibridge will go down when Teahen comes back, especially considering how little he has played. It's possible Viciedo is principally up as a backup third baseman to Vizquel and could be sent down when Teahen comes back.

It's also possible that the destiny of the DH spot for the Sox this year is to platoon Viciedo and Teahen, something that would give Teahen considerably more at bats, with each occasionally spelling Vizquel at third to keep him fresh and maximize his effectiveness. Quentin is pretty much best suited for DH, too, although he hasn't been hitting, not even as well as Teahen.

It is still possible for the White Sox to lose 100 games this season, as some who post at WSI insisted just two weeks ago was inevitable, based on how poorly they play against below .500 teams, really. And the White Sox don't get to play any more NL baseball, with NL teams playing with AL rules against the Sox in Chicago. This week reminded me of how much I enjoyed the 1972 White Sox who didn't play with a DH.

But this White Sox team seems to have found a spark. I don't see any reason for any negativity this afternoon.

october23sp
06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Can't believe we went 6-0 on the trip and we didn't homer once during this streak. This team seems to have found whatever it was missing, and I'm loving it. 6 in a row and 10 of 11. Keep this train movin'.

SoxFan1979
06-20-2010, 04:31 PM
YEAH BABY!!!!! GO SOX! :bandance: GO FREDDIE! :bandance: GO PK! :bandance:

Shoeless_Jeff
06-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Love seeing Freddy pitching above and beyond what was expected of him. Hopefully he can keep it up.

soxinem1
06-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Would anyone have believed us if we were told a month ago this team would be .500 with 20 games to go before the All-Star Break?! Awesome.

Now let's improve on that less than stellar home record!

Who would have believed it two weeks ago?

However, not to darken anyone's newfound enthusiasm, if we play like this against ATL and some of the tougher teams going into July, then maybe we'll have something. Not totally sold yet, though WAS is not a terrible team.

I remain very cautiously optimistic. We have to start somewhere.

Foulke You
06-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Who would have believed it two weeks ago?

However, not to darken anyone's newfound enthusiasm, if we play like this against ATL and some of the tougher teams going into July, then maybe we'll have something. Not totally sold yet, though WAS is not a terrible team.

I remain very cautiously optimistic. We have to start somewhere.
I think cautious optimism is how most Sox fans view their team most of the time when things are going well. There is another fanbase in this town that probably would have started printing playoff tickets after a road trip like we had. In any case, it is great to see the Sox hotter than donut grease right now! Great starting pitching, defense, timely hits, and a rock solid bullpen. I'm sure this is how KW felt the team would play when he put it together.

This is definitely the biggest homestand of the year coming up. You are finally back at .500 after scratching and clawing. We can't have any letdowns now. It's time to put .500 in the rear view and don't look back. 4W-2L would be fine with me.

soxfanatlanta
06-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Glad they are at .500; too bad they don't play the Pirates and Nats any more this year.

soxfanreggie
06-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Go Sox!

We still have enough games against those teams to get ourselves back in this. If we don't win those games, then we have to start hoping they lose to other teams.

I do agree with you that the teams we have been 8-1 against aren't "top calibre", but let's at least give them a chance. We have great starting pitching right now, and hopefully that will continue to lead us right now. I will give them a chance to show me it was more us playing at a higher level than playing horrible competition.

Kudos to Freddy on winning five in a row. Anytime you get production like that out of a fifth starter, it's great! In considering our entire staff being 9-1 with a 1.97 ERA in the past 12 games, kudos to all of them. Then, add in that we haven't had a homer in the last eight games and we're showing our versatility in ways to win games.

Brewski
06-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Can't believe we went 6-0 on the trip and we didn't homer once during this streak. This team seems to have found whatever it was missing, and I'm loving it. 6 in a row and 10 of 11. Keep this train movin'.

We found 3 bad NL teams is the flip answer. But of course it's more than that. Two good AL teams ahead of us, at least it'll be interesting. Viciedo is not a bad looking player, even at 3B, but it's too soon to start Beckhamming him.

SOXfnNlansing
06-20-2010, 06:52 PM
This team could have easily just bended and folded after the Nats rallied to take the lead, but they got right back into it on offense and never looked back. Good job by Freddy and nice that Thornton and Putz were able to continue the dominance. This team is hot right now. Let's get back into this thing!

Sad to admit, but I did. I saw they came back to take the lead (from my phone), then I flipped to game back and finished watching. We're going to go to 3 games this week and support the team.

twinsuck
06-20-2010, 06:53 PM
.500 never felt so good!!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-20-2010, 06:59 PM
An overlooked stat:

The White Sox are 14-8 in one-run games this year. The only team better than them are the Dodgers at 15-8.

We're showing that we can win the close ones this year.

Brian26
06-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I liked how Viciedo looked at the plate. He seems to have quick, powerful hands. It will be exciting to see what he can do.

ChiSoxGirl
06-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Day 5 of ChiSoxGirl being out of town and the Sox are now 5-0. That is all. :party: :bandance:

JB98
06-20-2010, 07:29 PM
It's good to see them beating up on these bad teams. The competition gets a little tougher Tuesday with Atlanta coming in. We'll see if the Sox can keep it rolling at home.

I'm hopeful that there is a little more confidence and a little more faith in the Sox clubhouse as the result of this winning streak. When the club was struggling earlier, the attitude of the players sucked. I saw a lot of bad body language. I didn't have faith that the team could turn it around because the players didn't seem to have faith in themselves or faith in each other. That's changed now, and I'm just crossing my fingers that it's changed for good.

They can compete in this division if they avoid the "Woe is us" crap and bring the right mental approach to the field each day.

SI1020
06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
It's good to see them beating up on these bad teams. The competition gets a little tougher Tuesday with Atlanta coming in. We'll see if the Sox can keep it rolling at home.

I'm hopeful that there is a little more confidence and a little more faith in the Sox clubhouse as the result of this winning streak. When the club was struggling earlier, the attitude of the players sucked. I saw a lot of bad body language. I didn't have faith that the team could turn it around because the players didn't seem to have faith in themselves or faith in each other. That's changed now, and I'm just crossing my fingers that it's changed for good.

They can compete in this division if they avoid the "Woe is us" crap and bring the right mental approach to the field each day. Good post. I agree they looked bad not just in the field but in the dugout too. Winning and losing are both contagious. Hopefully they got the mojo working now.

guillensdisciple
06-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Now we begin our push towards the Central. We can win this thing, and with this pitching we can make it special. I will always believe.

DickAllen72
06-20-2010, 08:50 PM

The Sox will have it rougher at home and against AL teams than they've had it the past week or so because at home and against other AL teams they need a DH and they currently don't have one, unless of course Viciedo is the answer. Time will tell if he can hit RHP or major league pitching in general.

In the meantime, it would be nice if KW can pick up an impact third baseman, right fielder or designated hitter soon---like before Tuesday.

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Day 5 of ChiSoxGirl being out of town and the Sox are now 5-0. That is all. :party: :bandance:

Well, you know what the solution is....:tongue:

Tragg
06-20-2010, 10:19 PM
The Sox will have it rougher at home and against AL teams than they've had it the past week or so because at home and against other AL teams they need a DH and they currently don't have one, unless of course Viciedo is the answer. Time will tell if he can hit RHP or major league pitching in general.

In the meantime, it would be nice if KW can pick up an impact third baseman, right fielder or designated hitter soon---like before Tuesday.
Great point....playing on the road against NL teams really hides a major weakness.

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I think ChiSoxGirl needs to find a permanent home in San Diego. :wink:

pudge
06-20-2010, 10:41 PM

This team was not built for a firesale. That would just be pointless. But I'm still not a buyer of this team. I love the fact they got back to .500, but these lineups we've faced have been utterly awful, and the Twins keep winning, beating Halladay today I believe. We have to start beating the heck out of good teams - then I'm buying.

TheVulture
06-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Garcia wasn't going to have enough to pitch a shutout on a humid 90-degree day

That's when Sweaty Freddy comes alive.

I had a good feeling about Freddy - he said he was ready to go 30 starts and I believed him. Good to see him pitching well for the Sox - again.

cards press box
06-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Can this team go 57-37? If they pitch like this, hell yes. Get another bat, Kenny.

He just did: the Sox called up Dayan Viciedo who had a .525 slugging percentage at Charlotte. Viciedo showed excellent opposite field power today and hopefully gets regular at-bats (probably at DH and occasionally at 1B and 3B) the rest of the way. Other teams have found at-bats at various positions for young sluggers. Two examples that come to mind are Orlando Cepeda and Willie McCovey with the San Francisco Giants in the late '50's and early '60's. Both McCovey and Cepeda played at 1B and the OF (and Cepeda even played a few games at 3B) in an effort to find at-bats for those hitters at the beginning of their respective careers.
Only five in the loss column.

An overlooked stat:

The White Sox are 14-8 in one-run games this year. The only team better than them are the Dodgers at 15-8.

We're showing that we can win the close ones this year.

That's really important and really encouraging. The Sox, I believe, went 35-18 in one run games in 2005.

ChiSoxGirl
06-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Well, you know what the solution is....:tongue:

I think ChiSoxGirl needs to find a permanent home in San Diego. :wink:

Wait... so you mean I'd have to relocate to one of the most beautiful places in the country, where the sun shines over 300 days a year, mountains and palm trees are everywhere I look, and it NEVER snows?! Sign me up! :wink:

guillensdisciple
06-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Wait... so you mean I'd have to relocate to one of the most beautiful places in the country, where the sun shines over 300 days a year, mountains and palm trees are everywhere I look, and it NEVER snows?! Sign me up! :wink:

...... but Chicago is the greatest city in the world :whiner:

Frankfan4life
06-21-2010, 01:38 AM
Freddie, what can I say but thanks for being the rock of the pitching staff. I didn't think the Sox would reach this milestone this season. I actually have hope again. WTG Sox!!! :smile:

hawkjt
06-21-2010, 07:23 AM
This streak has put them in position to be a competitive team,now they have to execute on that. Keep winning series'. Take 4 of 6 vs the braves and cubs. Then go take 4 of 6 on the road vs royals and rangers,then come home and take 4 of 7 from the angels and royals...then all star break at a record of 46-41...and go from there.

They have to keep pushing to make this into a 3way dogfight again this year with the twins and tigers. Once they get into a tie with these teams, I do like our pitching to give the edge.

Be nice if Gordo,Carlos,and Dayan all got hot for the second half also.

asindc
06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Thats good advice. But I can see how a majority of fans may not even get too excited about sweeping 2 last place national league teams and getting to .500. We are supposed to do that at least.

But hell, right now I will take mediocrity!!! Go Sox! I hope it carrys over to the AL.

An 8 out of 9 stretch against any three MLB teams is an exceptionally good result, no matter the team. No team can assume two sweeps in a row on the road. It's a good result that we should feel good about it, especially since it is the result of the team playing better. If the Sox had played at their April 2010-level during this past road trip, they probably would have gone 5-4 or 4-5. The past two weeks have been an obvious improvement, and not just in the standings.

Hitmen77
06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
How did Beckham look yesterday? I see he went 2 for 4, but I didn't see his at bats.

I keep hoping that he starts clicking offensively because we're going to need him and Quentin if we have hope at taking the division this year.

sox1970
06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
How did Beckham look yesterday? I see he went 2 for 4, but I didn't see his at bats.

I keep hoping that he starts clicking offensively because we're going to need him and Quentin if we have hope at taking the division this year.

Both hits were ropes.

october23sp
06-21-2010, 12:12 PM
8 Games in a row without a home run. 7-1 record.

rookie
06-21-2010, 03:09 PM
So I don't fly home from DC until tomorrow. My waitress for breakfast was a big Nats fan. This is what she said, "I like how the White Sox play situational baseball instead of swinging for a homerun like the Nats." It made me smile.

thomas35forever
06-21-2010, 05:15 PM
8 Games in a row without a home run. 7-1 record.
Finally, this is the team Ozzie (and the fans for that matter) wanted. We don't want a team that's overly reliant on the home run. We want a team like the one that's playing right now.

ilsox7
06-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Finally, this is the team Ozzie (and the fans for that matter) wanted. We don't want a team that's overly reliant on the home run. We want a team like the one that's playing right now.

I don't give a rat's ass what kind of team it is as long as it wins.

kevingrt
06-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Very true. But the occasional or reliable HR helps. I have a feeling when we get back in the bandbox that is known as the Cell with temperatures expected near 90 throughout the week we will see plenty of fireworks.

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Very true. But the occasional or reliable HR helps. I have a feeling when we get back in the bandbox that is known as the Cell with temperatures expected near 90 throughout the week we will see plenty of fireworks.

Nobody's arguing that, I think what Ozzie (and people here on this board) have been asking for is a team that can win without relying solely upon the home run. For the past eight games, we've had that. But if the law of averages is correct, we might be seeing a bunch soon.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-21-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't understand the joy of not hitting a home run for eight games. We've won 7 of 8 because of the pitching. During those 8 games we've averaged only 3.75 runs. Oakland is 26th and they average 4 game. Since Konerko and Rios obviously aren't going to maintain their current HR pace the fact that no other bats have gone deep in 8 games is, if anything, troubling.

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't understand the joy of not hitting a home run for eight games. We've won 7 of 8 because of the pitching. During those 8 games we've averaged only 3.75 runs. Oakland is 26th and they average 4 game. Since Konerko and Rios obviously aren't going to maintain their current HR pace the fact that no other bats have gone deep in 8 games is, if anything, troubling.

It shows that we can win games without waiting for the HR which is what our offense has done since 2006. Obviously we aren't scoring many runs which is what is really unnerving, but historically these last eight games were the sort of games where we'd go 4-4 at best.

voodoochile
06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
It shows that we can win games without waiting for the HR which is what our offense has done since 2006. Obviously we aren't scoring many runs which is what is really unnerving, but historically these last eight games were the sort of games where we'd go 4-4 at best.

Basically what it comes down to is this team is going to go as far as the pitching takes it. That was the plan all season long and it's finally shown signs of actually happening.

Brian26
06-21-2010, 08:28 PM

I don't understand the joy in not appreciating that the Sox have won 10 out of the last 11 games and 11 of the last 13.

As bad as everyone claimed this team was two weeks ago, nobody certainly expected them to be this good even against National League opponents.

Home runs will come for the Sox at the Cell. That's a given just like death and taxes. Enjoy the ride.

JB98
06-21-2010, 08:31 PM

It's probably because the team usually goes 1-7, not 7-1, when they stop hitting home runs.

ChicagoG19
06-21-2010, 08:36 PM

I think I'll take winning with pitching over winning with HRs any day of the week. I know this is cliche, but pitching is what wins championships. I also think that winning without a HRs also shows that the Sox can still win when their few power hitters go on power slump.

Boondock Saint
06-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't understand the joy in not appreciating that the Sox have won 10 out of the last 11 games and 11 of the last 13.

As bad as everyone claimed this team was two weeks ago, nobody certainly expected them to be this good even against National League opponents.

Home runs will come for the Sox at the Cell. That's a given just like death and taxes. Enjoy the ride.

This is true, but while the last two weeks have been a lot of fun to watch, the first two months of the season have really done a number on my confidence in this team. I don't know how much longer they'll have to keep this going before I can really start to turn the corner.

asindc
06-21-2010, 08:40 PM

It's probably because the team usually goes 1-7, not 7-1, when they stop hitting home runs.

I endorse these posts.

Craig Grebeck
06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I endorse these posts.
I think those posts miss the boat. Enjoy that we've won the games because of remarkable pitching, but recognize the negative trend power-wise. I think that's an okay thing to do.

Of course I'm glad we've won 10 of 11 and 11 of 13 -- I just don't think we can keep it up unless the offense turns it around.

asindc
06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
I think those posts miss the boat. Enjoy that we've won the games because of remarkable pitching, but recognize the negative trend power-wise. I think that's an okay thing to do.

Of course I'm glad we've won 10 of 11 and 11 of 13 -- I just don't think we can keep it up unless the offense turns it around.

I don't think those posts suggests that we can continue at this pace, or even at .660 pace, if we don't find our power stroke. However, some of us are pleased that the team is showing the potential to consistently win games without the HR. I was at the past four games in person, and I am encouraged that Quentin is going the other way even early in the count and will still turn on an inside pitch when there. Even (better yet, especially) in 2008, we seldom won more than 2 or 3 games in a row without a HR, something that almost caught up with us later in the year when Quentin went down. It has never been an either/or approach to HR hitting that Ozzie has wanted, just a lineup that could consistently do it different ways.

JB98
06-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't think those posts suggests that we can continue at this pace, or even at .660 pace, if we don't find our power stroke. However, some of us are pleased that the team is showing the potential to consistently win games without the HR. I was at the past four games in person, and I am encouraged that Quentin is going the other way even early in the count and will still turn on an inside pitch when there. Even (better yet, especially) in 2008, we seldom won more than 2 or 3 games in a row without a HR, something that almost caught up with us later in the year when Quentin went down. It has never been an either/or approach to HR hitting that Ozzie has wanted, just a lineup that could consistently do it different ways.

Also, Konerko has continued to produce, despite having no homers since June 6.

He has a .395 average, plus 10 RBIs, in his last 11 games.

theamb
06-21-2010, 09:45 PM

I think everyone is enjoying the little hot streak we've been on.

However, some should realize who we've played in this stretch and not overreact to it

JB98
06-21-2010, 09:55 PM
I think everyone is enjoying the little hot streak we've been on.

However, some should realize who we've played in this stretch and not overreact to it

I don't think I ever stated the Sox are going to win the division. In fact, I don't believe they will.

All I'm saying is, typically the Sox go 1-7 when they go eight games without hitting home runs.

veeter
06-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Of course I'm glad we've won 10 of 11 and 11 of 13 -- I just don't think we can keep it up unless the offense turns it around.They're still scoring runs. Anyway a dose of the Cell should turn the power on.

wassagstdu
06-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Also, Konerko has continued to produce, despite having no homers since June 6.

He has a .395 average, plus 10 RBIs, in his last 11 games.

The danger is that when they get back to HR Central they give up on hitting to the opposite field and whatever other adjustments they have made that have improved their situational hitting but decreased HR and go back to "Pull or Die Trying" and "Just Missing It."

kufram
06-22-2010, 07:19 AM
The danger is that when they get back to HR Central they give up on hitting to the opposite field and whatever other adjustments they have made that have improved their situational hitting but decreased HR and go back to "Pull or Die Trying" and "Just Missing It."

Possible, but I'm not overly worried about that. PK always says when he is on a HR streak that he is just trying to have a good at bat and make good contact and put the ball in play. Home runs don't necessarily come because you're trying to hit them.

Home Runs are great, but hits with men on base and two outs are far more a measure of a team hitting when it matters. The homers will come as long as they are hitting and I suspect they might come in this home stand and in clusters because they are due.

Winning series in any fashion is the top priority.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-22-2010, 10:59 AM

I appreciate it just fine thank you. I'm not fooled, however, into thinking that a team that needs to win 11 out 13 just to reach .500 is without flaws. If we continue to win on the positive side of the ledger I'll start to get excited. I don't think there's anything wrong in anticipating the need for some more bats to make that happen.

asindc
06-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I appreciate it just fine thank you. I'm not fooled, however, into thinking that a team that needs to win 11 out 13 just to reach .500 is without flaws. If we continue to win on the positive side of the ledger I'll start to get excited. I don't think there's anything wrong in anticipating the need for some more bats to make that happen.

No one else is either.

Nellie_Fox
06-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm not fooled, however, into thinking There is no such thing as a team without flaws.