PDA

View Full Version : What did I miss - Jenks not closing today...

CaptUSN
06-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Did I miss an injury? I was at Friday's and Saturday's games and he did not even get up in the pen Saturday or Sunday...

Sockinchisox
06-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Did I miss an injury? I was at Friday's and Saturday's games and he did not even get up in the pen...

...he closed Friday's game.

bridgeportcopper
06-20-2010, 04:24 PM
and wed & thur i believe....probably just a couple days off.

harwar
06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
and wed & thur i believe....probably just a couple days off.
pretty sure it was tues n thurs n fri .. anyway i hope he's ok .. we're going to need a closer now since we are in a pennant race

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Cowley:

Jenks was unavailable with some soreness, but not a concern, according to Oz.

BadBobbyJenks
06-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Bad Bobby Jenks does not bother with silly little national league teams.

Rohan
06-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Did I miss an injury? I was at Friday's and Saturday's games and he did not even get up in the pen...

:?:

MetroPD
06-20-2010, 06:27 PM
pretty sure it was tues n thurs n fri .. anyway i hope he's ok .. we're going to need a closer now since we are in a pennant race
then we need someone who can effectively close down 1 run games. At this point, Bobby is not it.

SI1020
06-20-2010, 06:41 PM
then we need someone who can effectively close down 1 run games. At this point, Bobby is not it. Have you been watching him lately? One earned run in his last 10 appearances and 9 and 2/3 innings.

TDog
06-20-2010, 06:45 PM
then we need someone who can effectively close down 1 run games. At this point, Bobby is not it.

Jenks is 14 of 15 in save opportunities this year. His blown save came with the Sox going into the ninth with a two-run lead. Jenks is 7 of 7 in converting save opportunities when coming into the game with a one-run lead.

By comparison, Jon Rauch is 17 for 20 in save opportunities this year. All three of his blown saves came in one-run games.

Joakim Soria is 16 for 18 in save opportunities this year. His two blown saves came in one-run games.

Andrew Bailey is 12 for 15 in save opportunities this year. He failed to protect a one-run lead in his three blown saves.

Mariano Rivera is 16 for 17 in save opportunities this year, but he had a two-run lead when he came into the game in which he blew his only save.

JB98
06-20-2010, 08:33 PM

:scratch:

Jenks has closed out a couple one-run wins on this trip. He's throwing the ball well right now. His hook has been much more effectively lately, and that's his key.

Zisk77
06-20-2010, 09:08 PM

Jenks has closed out a couple one-run wins on this trip. He's throwing the ball well right now. His hook has been much more effectively lately, and that's his key.

and his change-up to lefties has been just downright unfair.

Noneck
06-20-2010, 09:58 PM
and his change-up to lefties has been just downright unfair.

And he has nice movement on a 95mph fastball.

34rancher
06-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey after the BP got some good rest the last couple nights, Putz needed some work anyways and with a 3 run lead, no need for the closer.

Hartman
06-20-2010, 10:26 PM
This is a dream for Kenny, Jenks is looking good so he should be able to get some decent value out of him. Perfect time to unload and let Thornton take over.

Rohan
06-21-2010, 12:05 AM
This is a dream for Kenny, Jenks is looking good so he should be able to get some decent value out of him. Perfect time to unload and let Thornton take over.

Or we could use our proven closer in the late innings of close games while we move into contention. And by the way, almost every game will be close. We're that kind of team.

russ99
06-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Contrary to public opinion, relievers can't go every day for too long without wearing down.

Bobby (and Thornton on Sat.) needed a rest.

SI1020
06-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Contrary to public opinion, relievers can't go every day for too long without wearing down.

Bobby (and Thornton on Sat.) needed a rest. How did Mike Marshall do it?

FielderJones
06-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Jenks is 14 of 15 in save opportunities this year. His blown save came with the Sox going into the ninth with a two-run lead. Jenks is 7 of 7 in converting save opportunities when coming into the game with a one-run lead.

By comparison, Jon Rauch is 17 for 20 in save opportunities this year. All three of his blown saves came in one-run games.

Joakim Soria is 16 for 18 in save opportunities this year. His two blown saves came in one-run games.

Andrew Bailey is 12 for 15 in save opportunities this year. He failed to protect a one-run lead in his three blown saves.

Mariano Rivera is 16 for 17 in save opportunities this year, but he had a two-run lead when he came into the game in which he blew his only save.

Don't confuse WSI with facts. Jenks blew a save against Toronto six weeks ago, therefore he sucks.

Hartman
06-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Or we could use our proven closer in the late innings of close games while we move into contention. And by the way, almost every game will be close. We're that kind of team.

C'mon guys, Bobby's stats don't show the real story this year. And you are naive if you think Jenks is the same guy he was a few years ago. When the guy is good, he is good, but once he gets in a funk, he turns into a basketcase.

Any GM worth his salt would unload him before the trade deadline, especially since we have a worthwhile replacement.

hawkjt
06-21-2010, 10:51 AM
C'mon guys, Bobby's stats don't show the real story this year. And you are naive if you think Jenks is the same guy he was a few years ago. When the guy is good, he is good, but once he gets in a funk, he turns into a basketcase.

Any GM worth his salt would unload him before the trade deadline, especially since we have a worthwhile replacement.

Have you been watching Bobby the last few weeks? He has been very good. Those last three outs? They are hard to get. Not all guys are cut out for that pressure. Bobby is.

Anyone that follows this team on a daily basis knows that Bobby and the bullpen is going very good right now. Tony Pena's arrow is up. Thornton and Santos are struggling more than the others,not bad,just a bit of choppy water right now. Linebrink is buried,as is williams,but the rest of the pen is going from solid to great right now.

veeter
06-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Jenks, Putz, Thornton and Pena is a damn good foursome.

TDog
06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Jenks, Putz, Thornton and Pena is a damn good foursome.

You can throw in Santos.

I think the Sox have a great bullpen. When the starting pitching is on a roll, the bullpen doesn't have to work very hard, and that makes it stronger.

JB98
06-21-2010, 11:40 PM

You're right. He's a better closer than his stats indicate this year.

veeter
06-21-2010, 11:41 PM
You can throw in Santos.

I think the Sox have a great bullpen. When the starting pitching is on a roll, the bullpen doesn't have to work very hard, and that makes it stronger.Yes, I forgot Santos too. Pretty impressive.

Rohan
06-22-2010, 01:23 AM

Have you been watching him pitch the couple weeks? He got his hammer curve ball back. When he has the curve to go with the fastball and the change up he's an entirely different pitcher. He struggled a bit when he lost his curve, and still managed to only blow one save opportunity.

He's an experienced closer who can shut down just about any team in the ninth inning of a close game.

DonnieDarko
06-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Don't see why we don't just keep Jenks at the beginning of next year...but I somehow don't see him being kept, sadly...even though he's soon to be tied with (or did he tie/surpass already?) the record for the second-best closer in White Sox history...and in, what, five years? Racking up 30+ Saves for 4 out of five years (the only one not being 30+ Saves: an injury-plagued season where he got 29 Saves) means he's a pretty damned dependable Closer.

You could make an argument that Sergio Santos might be a future closer, but I would like to see him get some more work out of the pen before I make that determination. For now, I see no reason why we shouldn't go with Jenks now and in the near future.

Harry Chappas
06-22-2010, 10:17 AM

If Jenks is dealt, I'd much rather Putz be given the closer's job than Thornton. I like Thornton in his current role and Putz has experience.