PDA

View Full Version : BOSTON GLOBE - Who might be available at deadline?

Fenway
06-20-2010, 01:41 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/06/20/if_teams_go_nowhere_these_guys_may_travel/?page=full

Carfardo also writes that the Red Sox are very upset about the 2012 All Star Game going to KC. They were told they would get it if they went to Japan in 2008 and Selig changed his mind.

Yes they had one in 1999 after waiting since 1961 but how many times can you celebrate 100 year old parks??

LoveYourSuit
06-20-2010, 01:46 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/06/20/if_teams_go_nowhere_these_guys_may_travel/?page=full

Carfardo also writes that the Red Sox are very upset about the 2012 All Star Game going to KC. They were told they would get it if they went to Japan in 2008 and Selig changed his mind.

Yes they had one in 1999 after waiting since 1961 but how many times can you celebrate 100 year old parks??

How many people honestly want to "celebrate" a 100 year old turd?

I'm glad KC go it.

Fenway is "celebrated" enough in my book, thanks to the over-hpye of the media (ESPN) and also the Red Sox being a very good baseball team almost every year.

voodoochile
06-20-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm surprised Dunn isn't on the list. He'd seem like a shoe in to be traded if the can't climb back into the race and in that division it's going to be tough.

EMachine10
06-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm surprised Dunn isn't on the list. He'd seem like a shoe in to be traded if the can't climb back into the race and in that division it's going to be tough.
Agreed.

I don't think Paulie is going anywhere, either. Not with the way the team has turned it around lately.

Regarding Fenway Park, I couldn't care less about it turning 100. I love to see the games spread out and letting fans all over the league gain exposure. KC hasn't held the All-Star game in a while; Boston just had one in '99. Selig also promised KC an ASG if they were renovated.

LoveYourSuit
06-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Agreed.

I don't think Paulie is going anywhere, either. Not with the way the team has turned it around lately.

Regarding Fenway Park, I couldn't care less about it turning 100. I love to see the games spread out and letting fans all over the league gain exposure. KC hasn't held the All-Star game in a while; Boston just had one in '99. Selig also promised KC an ASG if they were renovated.

The Red Sox will not go poor by missing the ASG.

Meanwhile, anything can help a small market team like KC these days.

TommyJohn
06-20-2010, 07:02 PM

I'm glad KC go it.

Fenway is "celebrated" enough in my book, thanks to the over-hpye of the media (ESPN) and also the Red Sox being a very good baseball team almost every year.The hype machine celebrating 100 years of magic, triumph, tragedy, curses, and whatnot will be in full force in 2012 without the All-Star Game going there. So big ****ing deal. ESPN will have about eight documentary specials narrated by Ben Affleck regardless.

Twins_Morneau
06-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Good, nothing I hate more than the RoidSux and the sCrUBS

cards press box
06-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Perhaps the news hasn't reached Mr. Carfado during his coverage of the Olde Towne nine yet but our Sox have won 10 of 11, including an 8-1 roadtrip. Paul Konerko is not going anywhere.

Brewski
06-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Boo bleeping hoo.

bridgeportcopper
06-20-2010, 09:36 PM
"The Royals, who haven’t hosted an All-Star Game since 1973, were officially awarded the 2012 game, but wouldn’t it have been more exciting to have it at Fenway, during the 100th anniversary season of the ballpark?"

According to whom? Just the type of East Coast bias that turns so many people against those clubs. You can say all you want that the Royals have been mismanaged, and they probably have, but does that mean they should not be treated like a major league club? When the Yanks and Sawx (outside of THE CHOKE in 86) were struggling through the 80's and early 90's did they get treated like garbage by the league? Doubt it. THE SAWX JUST HAD THE ASG IN 1999! That is just 11 years ago! Get over yourselves. And later in that article it says something about all teams with new parks being promised an All Star Game and "the Yankees are waiting" for theirs......THEY JUST HAD IT IN 2008! The way I see it there are 30 teams in MLB and New York should not get it til 2038 and Boston 2029 in hopefully some new ballpark because Fenway is a dump!

Brian26
06-20-2010, 10:36 PM
I love to see the games spread out and letting fans all over the league gain exposure. KC hasn't held the All-Star game in a while; Boston just had one in '99. Selig also promised KC an ASG if they were renovated.

Just to be fair, there have been talk over the years that KC declined offers to host the ASG for various reasons (waiting to refurbish their park, not wanting to deal with the hassles that go along with it, etc).

Brian26
06-20-2010, 10:38 PM
The hype machine celebrating 100 years of magic, triumph, tragedy, curses, and whatnot will be in full force in 2012 without the All-Star Game going there. So big ****ing deal. ESPN will have about eight documentary specials narrated by Ben Affleck regardless.

The spread from 1999 to 2012 is 13 years.

The Pirates held the ASG in '94 and 2006. Do the math. I guess there is a precedent set, and Pittsburgh certainly isn't an ESPN darling.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-20-2010, 10:53 PM

The Pirates held the ASG in '94 and 2006. Do the math. I guess there is a precedent set, and Pittsburgh certainly isn't an ESPN darling.

But in 2006, PNC Park was relatively new. That gave MLB a good reason to hold it there, to show off the park and maybe boost attendance for the Pirates.

Fenway Park is both a dump and not exactly in need of an attendance boost. Two main reasons why the ASG should stay away from Boston unless a new park is built.

pythons007
06-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Who gives a ****, there are plenty of other buildings and architecture that are over 100 years old, but cities don't do a red ribbon cutting or throw a parade for those buildings. So tell me what the difference is for this? Why should the All-Star game be at Fenway after they had it 10 years ago?

pythons007
06-21-2010, 08:08 AM
"The Royals, who haven’t hosted an All-Star Game since 1973, were officially awarded the 2012 game, but wouldn’t it have been more exciting to have it at Fenway, during the 100th anniversary season of the ballpark?"

According to whom? Just the type of East Coast bias that turns so many people against those clubs. You can say all you want that the Royals have been mismanaged, and they probably have, but does that mean they should not be treated like a major league club? When the Yanks and Sawx (outside of THE CHOKE in 86) were struggling through the 80's and early 90's did they get treated like garbage by the league? Doubt it. THE SAWX JUST HAD THE ASG IN 1999! That is just 11 years ago! Get over yourselves. And later in that article it says something about all teams with new parks being promised an All Star Game and "the Yankees are waiting" for theirs......THEY JUST HAD IT IN 2008! The way I see it there are 30 teams in MLB and New York should not get it til 2038 and Boston 2029 in hopefully some new ballpark because Fenway is a dump!

I agree, why don't they come out with a schedule for the next 30 years and that schedule just repeats itself? Every team gets its chance to host an all-star game. If they choose not to host, they lose their chance for 30 years and you move on to the next team.

Harry Potter
06-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Fenway is "celebrated" enough in my book, thanks to the over-hpye of the media (ESPN) and also the Red Sox being a very good baseball team almost every year.

And all the Boston-related pieces that Fenway contributes on this here Chicago White Sox board

voodoochile
06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
And all the Boston-related pieces that Fenway contributes on this here Chicago White Sox board

Then don't click his links...

Oh and do me a favor, count the number of Boston themed threads on the front page of every forum and then count the total number of threads and calculate a percentage.

Hitmen77
06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I think MLB should just rotate all future ASGs between NY, Boston, and Wrigley Field. These are the only teams that people care about anyway.

I mean, who cares about the rest of the league aside from a select few other teams? Seriously! ....Maybe a few popular teams like the Cardinals and Dodgers can host once in a while too.

Otherwise, come on!!! It's Fenway Park and it's old!!!! Isn't that great?! Other parks suck because they're NOT old.

I think Selig should retire the #12 and #14 league-wide in honor of Fenway and Wrigley turning 100 in 2012 and 2014! Do it, Bud!!!

I'm glad KC go it.

Agreed.

The hype machine celebrating 100 years of magic, triumph, tragedy, curses, and whatnot will be in full force in 2012 without the All-Star Game going there. So big ****ing deal. ESPN will have about eight documentary specials narrated by Ben Affleck regardless.

Who gives a ****, there are plenty of other buildings and architecture that are over 100 years old, but cities don't do a red ribbon cutting or throw a parade for those buildings. So tell me what the difference is for this? Why should the All-Star game be at Fenway after they had it 10 years ago?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hitmen77
06-21-2010, 01:03 PM

ESPN doesn't pick the ASG location.

The Pirates moved into a gem of a new stadium since 1994. I also remember part of the justification for the unusually quick turn around to hosting another game in 2006 was to give Pittsburgh a much needed boost in attendance and to showcase PNC Park. I really doubt the rich and always sold-out Red Sox are in need any more attention about themselves and Fenway. The 2006 ASG selection wasn't intended to be a slippery slope for MLB to become even more BOS-NY centric.