PDA

View Full Version : Tim McCarver says White Sox will win division

Fenway
06-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Well you lucky folks in Chicago did not get Buck and McCarver who were at Fenway

However when the White Sox won today - McCarver said "The White Sox are rolling now and they will win the division going away."

soxfanatlanta
06-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Well you lucky folks in Chicago did not get Buck and McCarver who were at Fenway

However when the White Sox won today - McCarver said "The White Sox are rolling now and they will win the division going away."

Tim is a complete dolt - but I'm glad he thinks that anyway...I think.

VMSNS
06-19-2010, 11:10 PM
McCarver also said Brad Lidge "has the bad taste out of his mouth" just before Pods hit a walk-off HR off of him.

The lesson here? Tim is a moron. I also think he's wrong about the Sox and this division.

hi im skot
06-19-2010, 11:13 PM
:rolling:

GoGoCrede
06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh.

RadioheadRocks
06-19-2010, 11:37 PM
mccarver also said brad lidge "has the bad taste out of his mouth" just before pods hit a walk-off hr off of him.

The lesson here? Tim is a moron. I also think he's wrong about the sox and this division.

+1

LongLiveFisk
06-19-2010, 11:43 PM
He's going out on a limb. He figures if it happens, he can say, "See? I told you!" And if it doesn't, he figures no one will remember he said it anyway.

MarySwiss
06-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, that's it then. Let's just cancel the rest of the season and move directly into the playoffs. :tongue:

GoGoCrede
06-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, that's it then. Let's just cancel the rest of the season and move directly into the playoffs. :tongue:

Yep, no need to play any more games. :smile: Baseball analysts are paid to be right!

SoxGirl4Life
06-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Tim McCarver barely knows his own name.

And any time any national person says the Sox are going to win, or praises the damn bullpen, we tank. So thanks, but no thanks, Tim.

vinny
06-20-2010, 12:24 AM
McCarver is an idiot. But I would love to see this wonderful vignette re-enacted in the Sox' locker room if we clinch:

kO9jo8XkOfA

Boondock Saint
06-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Tim is a complete dolt

:rolling:

Tim is a moron.

Tim McCarver barely knows his own name.

McCarver is an idiot.

Yep. Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

There is no point in even listening to anything McCarver says.

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2010, 01:05 AM
"If the White Sox win more games than the other teams in the division, then they win the division."

GoGoCrede
06-20-2010, 01:08 AM
"If the White Sox win more games than the other teams in the division, then they win the division."

I'd love to be paid to spout crap like this.

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2010, 01:14 AM
I'd love to be paid to spout crap like this.

I should point out that McCarver probably never actually said this, but that quote was just really a satirical example of how McCarver overstates the obvious.

thomas35forever
06-20-2010, 01:29 AM
In his view, as bad as the Sox were during the first two months of the season, that's as good as they are now.

johnnyg83
06-20-2010, 02:28 AM
and things were going so well ... keep Jeff Brantley away too

Konerko05
06-20-2010, 06:06 AM
My second cousin told me today he thought the White Sox will win the division.

Should I make a thread or should I post it here at the risk this important information will get completely buried?

Fenway
06-20-2010, 08:01 AM
He will never top this gem

In the time it has taken to play this game, you could have flown from Baltimore to Iceland

A. Cavatica
06-20-2010, 09:56 AM

In the time it has taken to play this game, you could have flown from Baltimore to Iceland

Did he really say that?

He's such an idiot. There are no direct flights from Baltimore to Reykjavik. You'd have to fly to NYC, or maybe Dulles or Boston, and change planes. There's probably a change of terminal involved, so you need a long layover at any of those airports. And you're supposed to be at the airport two hours ahead of time for international flights...

Fenway
06-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Did he really say that?

He's such an idiot. There are no direct flights from Baltimore to Reykjavik. You'd have to fly to NYC, or maybe Dulles or Boston, and change planes. There's probably a change of terminal involved, so you need a long layover at any of those airports. And you're supposed to be at the airport two hours ahead of time for international flights...

He said that during Game 4 in Houston of the 2005 Series.

There is a classic tape of McCarver describing the first time the Marlins ground crew had a rain delay and they had no idea how to put the tarp on. Tim described it like a Civil War battle.

bridgeportcopper
06-20-2010, 11:42 AM

That is awesome!
But, you sure it wasn't Game 3? That was the long one.

cards press box
06-20-2010, 12:01 PM

Well, I think the Sox will win the division. The starting pitching is rounding into form, the bullpen has pitched well and the defense has been great. Do the Sox need to make some moves? Yes, they do. A second lefty in the pen who is better than Randy Williams would be nice, as would getting a player in Scott Linebrink's roster spot who would either deepen the pen or give Ozzie more depth on the bench. Third base is a bit of a mystery right now. By next year, Brent Morel might be here but who knows? Morel hit .326 at Birmingham but has struggled in 17 games at Charlotte. For the time being, Ozzie will give Vizquel the lion's share of playing time until Teahan gets back and will figure out what to do then.

Getting back to the original topic, Minnesota's starting pitching is too thin and, come on, how often can they rely on five-run rallies in the ninth? Detroit is streaky and their starting pitching has some question marks, too. So, yes, I agree with Tim McCarver -- the Sox should take the AL Central this year.

Chez
06-20-2010, 12:05 PM
You may not like Captain Obvious as a broadcaster, but the man knows more about baseball than do all of the posters on this site combined.

Frankfan4life
06-20-2010, 12:05 PM
We're still under .500. It's too early to make such a prediction.

doublem23
06-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I have as little respect for McCarver as anyone else, but it's nice that some national folks have noticed our little win streak.

Let's see us do it consistently against some real American League teams and I'll really start to believe.

Rikirk
06-20-2010, 07:44 PM
McCarver is obviously offering lip service.

Yes the Sox are playing well,...but its the National league.
They better fatten up while they can. Id love to have the Sox win the division....but ill believe it only when I see it.

Hartman
06-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Considering my general rule of thumb is to believe the complete opposite of what McCarver says, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I'll never forget the 1993 World Series telecast on CBS when McCarver was talking about John Olerud being left-handed and said along the lines of...

"If John Olerud throws with his left hand, he catches with his right hand."

Carneyman14
06-20-2010, 10:46 PM
In his view, as bad as the Sox were during the first two months of the season, that's as good as they are now.

8xdTYVxzEwI

TheVulture
06-21-2010, 12:09 AM
He's going out on a limb. He figures if it happens, he can say, "See? I told you!" And if it doesn't, he figures no one will remember he said it anyway.

And that is the beauty of sports fandom.

TDog
06-21-2010, 12:11 AM

And then he dissed Iceland, suggesting that no one would want to go there. The fact is, Reykjavik is a much more enjoyable city than Baltimore, with a higher literacy rate and a higher standard of living.

The fact is, Tim McCarvey could probably find Baltimore on a map, but he probably couldn't find Iceland. McCarvey was reading from a list of things you could do in five hours that someone stuck in front of him.

If he likes the White Sox to win the AL Central, it isn't because he has scouted the AL Central. It is because he saw a bandwagon and jumped on it.

Nothing to see here.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-21-2010, 12:28 AM
If he likes the White Sox to win the AL Central, it isn't because he has scouted the AL Central. It is because he saw a bandwagon and jumped on it.
I doubt we have a bandwagon... it seems like even half the people here seem to think this 10 out of 11 streak is a fluke or even a team like the Royals could have accomplished it. :tongue:
I basically agree with you though ;)

TheVulture
06-21-2010, 12:43 AM
And then he dissed Iceland, suggesting that no one would want to go there. The fact is, Reykjavik is a much more enjoyable city than Baltimore, with a higher literacy rate and a higher standard of living.

Music is the highest standard of living, and Baltimore has provided the world with it in spades.

Iceland's cool, too, though.

Sam Spade
06-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Iceland, baltimore, tim mccarver, music, spades, and the sun, can all suck my balls.

TheVulture
06-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Iceland, baltimore, tim mccarver, music, spades, and the sun, can all suck my balls.

Wowzas.

:beer

Coops4Aces
06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
You may not like Captain Obvious as a broadcaster, but the man knows more about baseball than do all of the posters on this site combined.

:rolleyes: I can't stand comments like this. McCarver is a blowhard and I wish I could go the rest of my life without hearing his voice again.

SI1020
06-21-2010, 10:24 AM
You may not like Captain Obvious as a broadcaster, but the man knows more about baseball than do all of the posters on this site combined. No he doesn't.

SOXSINCE'70
06-21-2010, 10:26 AM
:rolleyes: McCarver is a blowhard and I wish I could go the rest of my life without hearing his voice again.

I'm no supporter of Joe Sux, his partner,either.:rolleyes:

tstrike2000
06-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I'll never forget the 1993 World Series telecast on CBS when McCarver was talking about John Olerud being left-handed and said along the lines of...

"If John Olerud throws with his left hand, he catches with his right hand."

There's unfortunately many of those quotes, this courtesy of shutuptimmccarver.com:

“If you leadoff and you play every day, you’re guaranteed to bat with the bases empty at least 162 times.”- Tim McCarver, July 8th, 2006

Mendoza Line
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
My favorite McCarverism: "I don't think that taste is there."

Slappy
06-23-2010, 12:39 AM
“If you leadoff and you play every day, you’re guaranteed to bat with the bases empty at least 162 times.”- Tim McCarver, July 8th, 2006

:scratch: :dunno:

Fenway
06-23-2010, 01:17 AM
McCarver has done network baseball for everyone EXCEPT NBC

NBC always treated the game with respect and was blindsided in 1989 when MLB went to CBS

I was trained by Harry Coyle who directed NBC from 1948-1988 and he had a bible for how to cover a game with 4 cameras

But he also told me when I was young - I can't teach you instinct and you have it..

RadioheadRocks
06-23-2010, 01:34 AM
McCarver has done network baseball for everyone EXCEPT NBC

NBC always treated the game with respect and was blindsided in 1989 when MLB went to CBS

No more calls, we have a winner...