PDA

View Full Version : The point of calling up Viciedo

tm1119
06-19-2010, 07:40 PM
So I was trying to think of the reason why Viciedo was called up now and where exactly he fits into this lineup. I'm pretty sure it is apparent that he is not now or will ever be an everyday 3b. And with PK solidified at 1b that only leaves DH for Dayan. I think we all also know that Ozzie is not going to bench Andruw, Omar, and Kotsay permanently in favor of Dayan at DH. So why call up Dayan for only a platoon DH spot? My conclusion is that KW is trying to showcase him to other teams. With him making decent money already and the clock ticking on his contract already Im thinking that KW may want to get something more ready for everyday play right now rather than wait on him. Can anybody else see Dayan being used as trade bait shortly to pick up a vet bat?

LITTLE NELL
06-19-2010, 07:51 PM
So I was trying to think of the reason why Viciedo was called up now and where exactly he fits into this lineup. I'm pretty sure it is apparent that he is not now or will ever be an everyday 3b. And with PK solidified at 1b that only leaves DH for Dayan. I think we all also know that Ozzie is not going to bench Andruw, Omar, and Kotsay permanently in favor of Dayan at DH. So why call up Dayan for only a platoon DH spot? My conclusion is that KW is trying to showcase him to other teams. With him making decent money already and the clock ticking on his contract already Im thinking that KW may want to get something more ready for everyday play right now rather than wait on him. Can anybody else see Dayan being used as trade bait shortly to pick up a vet bat?

When is this showcasing going to start?

cws05champ
06-19-2010, 08:09 PM
If they were showcasing him, wouldn't it make more sense to keep him in AAA against inferior pitching? If he completely tanks for a few weeks that won't increase his value. The point is, Vizquel is not an everyday 3B and Nix could not hit....that is why he was called up.

Red Barchetta
06-19-2010, 08:20 PM
If they were showcasing him, wouldn't it make more sense to keep him in AAA against inferior pitching? If he completely tanks for a few weeks that won't increase his value. The point is, Vizquel is not an everyday 3B and Nix could not hit....that is why he was called up.

...but when Teahan comes back, I expect a platoon with him playing for 3B and 1B.

Brewski
06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Could he have been called up because we haven't hit a HR in what seems like forever? It could be that a power bat will find its way into the mix somehow. The most logcal place would be DH.

Tragg
06-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Showcasing him for what? So we can trade for another declining veteran?

We need a bat;We're not really in a position to trade for one.
Let's see if he can hit in the majors.

I don't know why they're fooling around at 3B. We need a DH too. I know - who could possibly consider benching Kotsay at DH. I would hope part of the "Truce" is that Williams takes over personnel so we stop clowning around with DHs who can play defense.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-19-2010, 09:03 PM

I don't know why they're fooling around at 3B. We need a DH too. I know - who could possibly consider benching Kotsay at DH. I would hope part of the "Truce" is that Williams takes over personnel so we stop clowning around with DHs who can play defense.

Or clowning around with DHs that can't hit. I totally agree with you about his bat. Stick the kid at DH and lets see if he can hit. I don't think we'll miss the sweet .200 hitting combo we have there now.

tacosalbarojas
06-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Was a specific reason given for him not playing today? Yesterday made sense with Strasburg around, but I did expect him in there today. Smacks a bit of Oz trying to one up Kenny, but I don't know...I thought I heard somewhere JR told them to make nice...lolz.

tm1119
06-19-2010, 09:38 PM

Trust me, I couldnt agree with you more. But this is Ozzie we are talking about, all common sense goes out the window. I guess Im just trying to figure out where he fits in the grand scheme of things right now. Does he go right back down as soon as Teahen is called up, or would KW really cut 1 of Jones or Kotsay?

shes
06-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Maybe a trade for Paulie is close to being finalized and they want to get Viciedo acclimated to big league pitching as soon as possible?

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, I'd hate to imagine this offense without Konerko. I'd hate to imagine the IF defense without Konerko's ability to pick those throws either, for that matter.

Noneck
06-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Maybe a trade for Paulie is close to being finalized and they want to get Viciedo acclimated to big league pitching as soon as possible?

If that happens while they are playing the way they are, Reinsdorf better make arrangements to get into the witness protection program.

Tragg
06-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Trust me, I couldnt agree with you more. But this is Ozzie we are talking about, all common sense goes out the window. I guess Im just trying to figure out where he fits in the grand scheme of things right now. Does he go right back down as soon as Teahen is called up, or would KW really cut 1 of Jones or Kotsay?
Lillibridge goes down

pearso66
06-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I had a feeling when I heard he got called up to get acclimated to Major League pitching in case Konerko gets traded.

DumpJerry
06-19-2010, 10:36 PM

My gut says you're right. He switched to Borass for his representation during the past offseason, so they might as well trade for him since signing him after this contract is up is not a sure thing any more.

When is this showcasing going to start?
Sunday.

MarySwiss
06-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Well, I'd hate to imagine this offense without Konerko. I'd hate to imagine the IF defense without Konerko's ability to pick those throws either, for that matter.

Yep. Paulie has to be one of the most underrated defensive first basemen in the game. He kind of reminds me of another one, Jim Spencer. He didn't play for the Sox for very long, but his defense was impressive, IMO.

DirtySox
06-19-2010, 11:14 PM

Yes. You are absolutely correct. Teams don't call up prospects to showcase them against competition that will further exploit the holes in their game. Especially in the case of a non elite prospect whose only value is in his bat. As you said, they would be left in the minors to increase trade value. It's exactly what the organization did with Dexter Carter last year.

dickallen15
06-20-2010, 07:04 AM
The White Sox still control Viciedo for 6 seasons. Why they called him up to sit on the bench, I have no idea, but I would imagine he is going to get regular playing time fairly soon. If not, it was pretty silly calling him up.

Konerko05
06-20-2010, 07:16 AM
They aren't showcasing him.

This team needs offense, despite winning the last 9 of 11 or whatever. These close games will not cut it back in the American League. We are playing great baseball, no doubt, but we need some fire power. He's the closest thing.

Double edge sword is, this pitching is much improved because of defense. Mostly from replacing Teahan with Vizquel.

Here's hoping we acquire a defensive 3B relatively cheap, make Teahan supersub, and hope Viciedo hits enough to become fulltime DH/1B. And I don't mean "Kostay enough to become DH."

wassagstdu
06-20-2010, 07:17 AM
The White Sox still control Viciedo for 6 seasons. Why they called him up to sit on the bench, I have no idea, but I would imagine he is going to get regular playing time fairly soon. If not, it was pretty silly calling him up.

Callup = KW
Playing time = OG

Williams tries to encroach on Ozzie's domain. Ozzie says "Not this time."

Konerko05
06-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Callup = KW
Playing time = OG

Williams tries to encroach on Ozzie's domain. Ozzie says "Not this time."

I think it's evident by Ozzie's comment about not wanting to change the lineup because they have been winning with it.

Oddly enough, Rios and Konerko, the only two hitters on this team were benched on the same day.

I guess Ozzie considers, "Vizquel at 3B" the lineup. Well, at least he's finally ackowledging defense.

Mohoney
06-20-2010, 07:40 AM
or would KW really cut 1 of Jones or Kotsay?

Please?

Mohoney
06-20-2010, 07:42 AM

I thought Viciedo's clock started ticking the moment he signed.

A. Cavatica
06-20-2010, 08:59 AM
It's exactly what the organization did with Dexter Carter last year.

Explain. Carter was years away from the bigs, Viciedo is hitting with authority at AAA.

EMachine10
06-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Explain. Carter was years away from the bigs, Viciedo is hitting with authority at AAA.
Carter was kept at Kanny well past an earned promotion.

kufram
06-20-2010, 09:19 AM
One usually likes to stay with a winning combination. Why change what is working and has won nine out of ten and made up significant ground? Could it be as simple as a straight change for Nix? Nix wasn't giving them as much as they'd needed, especiallly with the bat. I wish him well, though. Maybe everyone is over-thinking this move.

Omar has stopped all of the ground ball doubles down the line which does help the pitching. Omar is showing why they signed him and I hope they stick with him as much as possible but he was never going to be every day. He knows what is required from a number 2 hitter and has the skills required. To give Beckham credit, he's playing great defense in spite of his terrible plate woes and that is to be commended.

DirtySox
06-20-2010, 10:46 AM

What EMachine said.

I suppose I shouldn't have said it's "exactly" the same. If the Sox were looking to shop Dayan, the would have left him in AAA where he could feast on lesser pitching while hitting bombs in Charlotte. Him being called up where everyone in the world will get a good look at his deficiencies isn't going to increase his trade value.

GAsoxfan
06-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I think KW realizes that if the Sox are going to make a run for the division, they need another bat. The only internal option is Viciedo. If Viciedo proves he's ready to hit, then the Sox can stand pat. If Viciedo struggles, then KW knows he needs to trade for a hitter.

Red Barchetta
06-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I think KW realizes that if the Sox are going to make a run for the division, they need another bat. The only internal option is Viciedo. If Viciedo proves he's ready to hit, then the Sox can stand pat. If Viciedo struggles, then KW knows he needs to trade for a hitter.

I agree. I think we may be reading too much into this. We are simply replacing Nix and his .163 (ish) average for Viciedo's potential. No problem here.

voodoochile
06-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree. I think we may be reading too much into this. We are simply replacing Nix and his .163 (ish) average for Viciedo's potential. No problem here.

And possibly showcasing him to the Nats for a Dunn trade later this summer...

Brewski
06-20-2010, 06:37 PM
And possibly showcasing him to the Nats for a Dunn trade later this summer...

Possibly, but 2 games on the bench didn't show off his talents a lot.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-20-2010, 06:53 PM
I have a strange feeling that he's going to be traded to Houston, so Berkman might make some sense(not saying I agree with it).

Tragg
06-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Can somebody explain to me why Konerko had no trade value but Lance Berkman yields a top prospect?

And if Viciedo can hit, he's exactly what we need.

If we want a Dunn, sign a Dunn as a FA.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Can somebody explain to me why Konerko had no trade value but Lance Berkman yields a top prospect.

Who said that?

Tragg
06-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Who said that?

Well, you said half of it (as I interpreted your post....Berkman yields a top prospect); and the consensus among others was that Konerko wouldn't bring much.
Berkman's having a Quentin like year. He's basically a salary dump with maybe a C prospect.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Well, you said half of it (as I interpreted your post....Berkman yields a top prospect); and the consensus among others was that Konerko wouldn't bring much.
Berkman's having a Quentin like year. He's basically a salary dump with maybe a C prospect.

Ah...that's kind of what I figured. No that it isn't what I meant, I meant I could see a trade where Viciedo goes to Houston. Getting Berkman in that trade would make sense, but I wasn't referring to an equal swap. Maybe Berkman, a lower level prospect, and/or Houston eating some of the money owed to him or something like that. I also differ from the consensus apparently, I think Paulie would bring in a quality player(s).

voodoochile
06-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Possibly, but 2 games on the bench didn't show off his talents a lot.

Facing Strasburg and then a RHP who made a lot of guys look foolish yesterday might have had the opposite effect.

I was mostly being facetious. I don't really expect the Sox to look to trade Dayan for a 3 month rental this season.

I think Ozzie handled it well, give the kid a chance to bat against a LH pitcher who was struggling for his first taste of the bigs. Let him build some confidence.

Tragg
06-20-2010, 08:38 PM
I think Ozzie handled it well, give the kid a chance to bat against a LH pitcher who was struggling for his first taste of the bigs. Let him build some confidence.

Did you see his at bats? How did he look?

voodoochile
06-20-2010, 09:13 PM

I missed the single, but in the first AB with two men on in the first, he absolutely crushed a pitch to RCF that looked like it had extra bases written all over it. Najer ran it down and caught it with his arm fully extended right before it was going to bounce off the wall or just short. Final two AB he K'd, but he looked real solid and he's a big guy. If he can stay patient and continue to work the whole field, he'll have a real nice career...

TheVulture
06-21-2010, 12:07 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9203297&c_id=cws&topic_id=8878818

Went to right nicely three times, unfortunately the third resulted in the ol' 4-6-3, looked good to me none the less.

soxinem1
06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
What EMachine said.

I suppose I shouldn't have said it's "exactly" the same. If the Sox were looking to shop Dayan, the would have left him in AAA where he could feast on lesser pitching while hitting bombs in Charlotte. Him being called up where everyone in the world will get a good look at his deficiencies isn't going to increase his trade value.

Who is going to trade for an unproven hitter with no big league credentals AND a big contract? Not even PIT would make a stupid move like that.

This is a more than likely scenario........ Unless he get the same amount of playing time Nix did.

Zisk77
06-21-2010, 07:41 AM
I missed the single, but in the first AB with two men on in the first, he absolutely crushed a pitch to RCF that looked like it had extra bases written all over it. Najer ran it down and caught it with his arm fully extended right before it was going to bounce off the wall or just short. Final two AB he K'd, but he looked real solid and he's a big guy. If he can stay patient and continue to work the whole field, he'll have a real nice career...

He only K'ed once. His third at bat he crushed a ball right at the 2b for a dp with the run scoring from 3b.

russ99
06-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Seems like Dayan's getting the proverbial cup of coffee as long as Teahen is out.

He's certainly on the radar if Konerko's elsewhere next season.

If he does really well, then he's here a year early.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-21-2010, 10:35 AM
If the Nationals didn't have a guy with jet-engine speed in center, he would have had an easy double, maybe an outside chance at a triple his first at-bat. That thing was smoked.

Viciedo looked good out there. It's not like he looked like Beckham when he struck out. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do at the Cell.

voodoochile
06-21-2010, 10:38 AM
He only K'ed once. His third at bat he crushed a ball right at the 2b for a dp with the run scoring from 3b.

You are correct. I don't know why I forgot that at the time I was happy about the run scoring even if not in an ideal manner.