PDA

View Full Version : 3 vs Atlanta

mzh
06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
After tomorrow's game at Washington, then a getaway day Monday, we get to play 3 at home vs the first place Atlanta Braves. This series, I think, might be able to tell us whether this is just against some crap NL teams or if the team is really starting to pull it together. The biggest thing that makes me nervous is the pitching matchups. We get to face their big 3 of Hanson, Hudson, and Lowe, all of whom are tough to beat. however, we get to counter with Danks, Buehrle, and Gavin. Danks vs. Hanson is the best possible matchup IMO, and he has the best chance of winning that duel (if it turns out to not be an offensive explosion on both sides). Buehrle vs. Hudson should be very interesting. Hudson has been nigh unhittable in the last month and a half, but hopefully Buehrle can spot well. If Gavin keeps this up, Derek Lowe means nothing. Any other thoughts I missed?

october23sp
06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
2-1 is what I am hoping for and I think we can do it.

boiker
06-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree that this series is the one which can tell us what this team is made of.

BadBobbyJenks
06-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I am expecting to win games 1 and 3. Don't think we will do much in the Hudson game.

TDog
06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I am expecting to win games 1 and 3. Don't think we will do much in the Hudson game.

In Minnesota earlier this month, the Twins won the opener started by Hudson and lost the games started by Lowe (on a ninth-inning suicide squeeze) and Medlen.

Foulke You
06-20-2010, 07:20 PM
If it makes anyone feel any better, despite having the best record in the NL at 42W-28L, the Braves are mediocre on the road at 18W-21L.

soxfanatlanta
06-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Lowe is very beatable, you give Danks some run support and that's one win.

Hudson is dealing right now, so I'll give that to the Bravos.

It depends on which Hanson show up for the series win.

HomeFish
06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Lowe may be "beatable", but he's also the kind of pitcher who gives us fits.

russ99
06-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Sox really need to start winning some home games. Their home record is embarrasing.

hawkjt
06-21-2010, 10:55 AM
It is all about playing teams at the right time. Unfortunately,the Braves are going well right now,and we get their top three starters...so I will not be too demoralized if we drop 2 of 3,as long as we come back and win at least 2 of 3 vs the Cubs.
Texas is red-hot right now also...hope they cool off before the Sox get to them at the end of next week.
Angels are looking much better of late...that sucks as we have 4 coming up vs them.
Nowhere to hide now,Sox, good teams a coming. Nut up!!

white sox bill
06-21-2010, 11:16 AM
If it makes anyone feel any better, despite having the best record in the NL at 42W-28L, the Braves are mediocre on the road at 18W-21L.
Our home record is bad so its a toss up

beasly213
06-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Atlanta is a good team...but they still play in the NL. Sox should be able to handle them. Even if they do people will still say "Wait till they play the AL before we see what they can do." After the Braves and scrubs the Sox play KC...again should be able to handle them so people will say "Wait till they play a good team." So we'll have to wait till July when the Sox go to Texas for people to decide if this run is "for real" or not.

BringBackBlkJack
06-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Atlanta is a good team...but they still play in the NL.

Atlanta took 2 of 3 from Minnesota (in Minnesota!), then proceeded to take 2 of 3 from the Rays, then swept the Royals. They're about as hot as the Sox are, and they've done it by beating AL's elite while the Sox have done it by feasting on the cellar of the NL.

I'd be thrilled if the Sox take 2 of 3.

Johnny Mostil
06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Sox really need to start winning some home games. Their home record is embarrasing.

So was the road record until about ten days ago.:wink:

bridgeportcopper
06-21-2010, 07:41 PM
off topic: Anyone know the code for 1/2 price for tomorrow's game vs. Braves. I looked in the 2 stuck threads on the ticket exchange and couldn't find it, but there has to be one because on the TicketMaster page there is a space for discount code. I'm going to the game with my 3 and a half yr old who is just over the 36 inch rule so she needs a ticket but, we probably won't be able to stay thru the whole game due to bedtime crabbiness.....so, i guess I'm just hoping I could pull a discount. If not, oh well.

GoGoCrede
06-21-2010, 07:44 PM
off topic: Anyone know the code for 1/2 price for tomorrow's game vs. Braves. I looked in the 2 stuck threads on the ticket exchange and couldn't find it, but there has to be one because on the TicketMaster page there is a space for discount code. I'm going to the game with my 3 and a half yr old who is just over the 36 inch rule so she needs a ticket but, we probably won't be able to stay thru the whole game due to bedtime crabbiness.....so, i guess I'm just hoping I could pull a discount. If not, oh well.

I thought there was a discount box on Ticketmaster no matter what. :scratch:

bridgeportcopper
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
I thought there was a discount box on Ticketmaster no matter what. :scratch:
Maybe you're right.... i just thought it was only there for games that they actually had a discount code...i could be wrong.
Edit, no I'm not, I just checked for the Cub series and that is not on there. I'm thinking it might be something religious as it is Gospel Music Night I think. Possibly a code given to churches. Do we have any Bible-thumpers here? ;-)

twinsuck
06-21-2010, 08:16 PM

The one for Wednsday is ZOO, you could try that.

bridgeportcopper
06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
The one for Wednsday is ZOO, you could try that.
thats it, thank you very much....$17 bleachers - alright - this is why i love WSI!

Rdy2PlayBall
06-21-2010, 10:23 PM
If we win 2 of three and pick up a game on the Twins, I will officially join the "we're back in this" group. I think they can do it... it's not like they were playing a good team in the Royals as well. We're coming of similar competition, ours maybe/probably better.

thomas35forever
06-21-2010, 10:51 PM
The Braves are the top team in the NL East right now. Regardless of what league they're in, this series should give us a better idea of whether we can make a legitimate run at the division. If we win at least two, I have a good feeling we can possibly sweep the Cubs.

twinsuck
06-22-2010, 12:44 AM
thats it, thank you very much....$17 bleachers - alright - this is why i love WSI!
Glad to help. :D:

nasox
06-22-2010, 01:30 AM

Or shut up!

bridgeportcopper
06-22-2010, 09:16 AM
It is all about playing teams at the right time. Unfortunately,the Braves are going well right now,and we get their top three starters...so I will not be too demoralized if we drop 2 of 3,as long as we come back and win at least 2 of 3 vs the Cubs.
Texas is red-hot right now also...hope they cool off before the Sox get to them at the end of next week.
Angels are looking much better of late...that sucks as we have 4 coming up vs them.

I don't see it. I look at the schedule and I see a winnable series vs. Atlanta (I know we are going against their 3 best starters, but have some faith ours are pretty good too), a SWEEPABLE series vs the Flubs (although the idiotic Zambrano factor worries me, I could see him throwing a gem for some reason, he is hot and cold vs. us), another SWEEPABLE series at KC (they are KC after all) before the aforementioned series at Tex, and at home vs Angels and KC. IF our starters can stay hot, and we get some hitting, we COULD be 10 over by the break, and that is really by just beating the teams we should beat. (Atl 2 out of 3, Cubs SWEEP, KC SWEEP, Tex maybe lose 2 out of 3 :(:, Angels win 3 of 4 and SWEEP KC lo and behold 11 over at the break!) Our pitching is on fire, let's not pooh-pooh this run, this is a good team.

Dan H
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't see it. I look at the schedule and I see a winnable series vs. Atlanta (I know we are going against their 3 best starters, but have some faith ours are pretty good too), a SWEEPABLE series vs the Flubs (although the idiotic Zambrano factor worries me, I could see him throwing a gem for some reason, he is hot and cold vs. us), another SWEEPABLE series at KC (they are KC after all) before the aforementioned series at Tex, and at home vs Angels and KC. IF our starters can stay hot, and we get some hitting, we COULD be 10 over by the break, and that is really by just beating the teams we should beat. (Atl 2 out of 3, Cubs SWEEP, KC SWEEP, Tex maybe lose 2 out of 3 :(:, Angels win 3 of 4 and SWEEP KC lo and behold 11 over at the break!) Our pitching is on fire, let's not pooh-pooh this run, this is a good team.

With this run, and your scenario, you're asking the Sox to go 23-5 over a 28-game period. That is asking a lot even if the team is better than we thought. The Cubs and KC, bad as they are, always prove tough for the Sox to sweep. Hopefully the Sox will prove many of us wrong, but they will have to beat Detroit and Minnestoa head on if they are going to do anything.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Air is gonna be heavy tonight - I'd like us to take the series. I'm hoping Danks is dealing. Yesterday was an even longer day because there was no baseball.

kaufsox
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
With this run, and your scenario, you're asking the Sox to go 23-5 over a 28-game period. That is asking a lot even if the team is better than we thought. The Cubs and KC, bad as they are, always prove tough for the Sox to sweep. Hopefully the Sox will prove many of us wrong, but they will have to beat Detroit and Minnestoa head on if they are going to do anything.

That can be said of most teams, not just the Sox. Sweeping a team is pretty difficult and to expect/project a sweep in any series is gambling long. Let's just keep winning series and the rest will take care of it's self. Oh, and when we drop a series in the next week or so, can the collective that is WSI not jump off a bridge? thanks.

BTW got tix for tonight and Thursday, if it's to be 2 of 3 I hope I'm at both.:D: