PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Welcome to the White Sox, Jake Peavy 6/19 Postgame Thread

Sockinchisox
06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Attaway Jake!

manders_01
06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
JAKE!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

DuckSnort
06-19-2010, 05:45 PM
If that's a dead arm, I'd love to see what a live arm looks like :bandance:

GoGoCrede
Absolutely awesome, Peavy. THIS is the guy we traded for. Glad to see he shut the haters up, at least for today.

5 in a row! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: And the Twins are losing!

October26
JAKE PEAVY! Oh yeah ~~~:bandance: fantastic win!

whitesox4eva
YES!!! first shutout since 2005 :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Bucky F. Dent
06-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Jake Peavy - STUD!

SoxFan1979
Sweet Peav!!!! Another 1 run win on the road and Phillies up on the Twinks.

F4L
:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

9 of 10! Let's get to .500 tomorrow!

soxnut1018
Welcome back Dirt Bag, we've missed you.
:bandance::bandance::bandance:
:bliss::bliss::bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

Red Barchetta
06-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Atta boy Jake! I was nervous going in without Konerko and Rios. Whew!

Boondock Saint
Outstanding game for Peavy, and the defense showed up, too.

manders_01
Dump, you get to eat!!! :D:

Noir
:peavy: I am a man. And you're not. Any questions?

GoGoCrede
With all the concern about the lineup, we still squeaked out a win. Great work. AND glad to see Peavy's shoulder is seemingly fine.

SoxSpeed22
06-19-2010, 05:48 PM
One game under .500. Surprised this lineup managed to scrape together a run, but Jake with a CG shut out. Let's sweep tomorrow.

Chez
That was awfully impressive.

Crestani
That's the Jake Peavy I have seen pitch...Welcome back Jake..!!:)

DumpJerry
06-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Dump, you get to eat!!! :D:
:gulp::gulp::gulp::bandance::bandance::):)

Zakath
That was an absolutely awesome performance. Next time he wants to move a couple of days back, by all means let him...

Even better, it sets us up for Danks to pitch next Sunday vs. the Cubs, who he absolutely owns.

SoxGirl4Life
Ahhhh.... sweet victory on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Thank you, Jake!

cws05champ
All he needed was to see a couple NL teams to remind him who he was....

voodoochile
Nothing like a 1-0 win to make me smile. Yeah, I love the blowouts even more, but there's something so special about games like this.

Great Job, Jake! Wish I could have seen it.

:soxwin:

:)

GoGoCrede
06-19-2010, 05:51 PM
All he needed was to see a couple NL teams to remind him who he was....

:):):) I hope this confidence really gets him rolling. This is his first complete-game shutout since August 2005.

After April and May, I almost forgot what a consistent, winning team feels like. This feels great.

Boondock Saint
06-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Nothing like a 1-0 win to make me smile. Yeah, I love the blowouts even more, but there's something so special about games like this.

Great Job, Jake! Wish I could have seen it.

:soxwin:

:)

It's so impressive to see someone with almost no margin for error come through like that.

sox1970
06-19-2010, 05:52 PM
And they haven't hit a homer in a week. Incredible.

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Absolutely awesome, Peavy. THIS is the guy we traded for. Glad to see he shut the haters up, at least for today.

Not just today - that's 4 runs over his last 23 innings in three starts.

GoGoCrede
06-19-2010, 05:53 PM

This is especially impressive, although I thought it was longer. So glad we finally have players who can bunt now.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Thank you Jake. Maybe KW will be a buyer after all......

DickAllen72
06-19-2010, 05:56 PM
With all the concern about the lineup, we still squeaked out a win. Great work. AND glad to see Peavy's shoulder is seemingly fine.
Peavy deserves the Kudos for his performance today, but that lineup was terrible.

Too late now, but they would have been better off sending Beckham down for a couple of weeks to get himself straight and let Nix start at 2B in his place.

Anyway, let's hope Ozzie decides to play his regulars tomorrow and Freddy gets us back to .500.

DickAllen72
06-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you Jake. Maybe KW will be a buyer after all......
I certainly hope so!

Dan H
06-19-2010, 05:57 PM
The Sox have won three straight one run games. That is the mark of a good team. I only hope this is a good team and prove critics like myself wrong. Meanwhile the winning is enjoyable.

hawkjt
06-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Peavy deserves the Kudos for his performance today, but that lineup was terrible.

Too late now, but they would have been better off sending Beckham down for a couple of weeks to get himself straight and let Nix start at 2B in his place.

Anyway, let's hope Ozzie decides to play his regulars tomorrow and Freddy gets us back to .500.

Nine hits? I will take it. Sox have been much worse than 9 hits early in the year. I like how Gordo is throwing leather,along with Omar and Alexi..and Paulie/Kotsay. Defense is playing great,pitching is great...and nine hits? That is a recipie for winning baseball. Now, granted, be nice to get a few extra base hits, and couple more runs,but winning trumps all.

Way to go,Jakerooo!!:D:

GoGoCrede
06-19-2010, 06:06 PM
As I was checking the standings, I noticed this interesting record:

Home: 15-18

Away: 18-16

I had no idea we were better on the road than at home, but I'm okay with it.

DrCrawdad
06-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Exciting baseball game today. Great to have won it!

VMSNS
06-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Great game, Jake. We need to see more of that.

Can the Sox join the NL, please?

DickAllen72
06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Nine hits? I will take it. Sox have been much worse than 9 hits early in the year......Defense is playing great,pitching is great...and nine hits? That is a recipie for winning baseball.
One run? You can't get much worse than scoring only one run against a poor pitcher. The defense played well, the pitching was great...but one run? That's a recipe for losing a lot of close games. :wink:

BringHomeDaBacon
06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
One run? You can't get much worse than scoring only one run against a poor pitcher. The defense played well, the pitching was great...but one run? That's a recipe for losing a lot of close games. :wink:

Absolutely. Let's not get confused and think that Peavy's great performance somehow reflects positively on the offense. One run against J.D. Martin was pathetic. Peavy had the offense's (and Ozzie's) back today, let's hope they can get it together and return the favor when necessary.

shingo10
06-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Absolutely. Let's not get confused and think that Peavy's great performance somehow reflects positively on the offense. One run against J.D. Martin was pathetic. Peavy had the offense's (and Ozzie's) back today, let's hope they can get it together and return the favor when necessary.

Let's just hope we never see that lineup run out there again. Mercy. But to get a win with a lineup like that makes it all the more exciting.

soltrain21
06-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Well done Jake

daydreamer05
06-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Jake Peavy is the best. :D:

kobo
06-19-2010, 06:40 PM
As I was checking the standings, I noticed this interesting record:

Home: 15-18

Away: 18-16

I had no idea we were better on the road than at home, but I'm okay with it.
7 of those road wins have come in the last week+ .

Nice win. Stellar defense today and Peavy was great. The starting pitching has been what I think all of us had hoped it would be when the season started. Hope this continues for the next few weeks, because after this coming Monday's day off the Sox don't have a break until the All Star Game.

My only gripe is with Ramirez. He couldn't hit a breaking ball right now if his life depended on it. Just looks completely lost at the plate right now.

TDog
06-19-2010, 06:50 PM
When was the last time you saw a White Sox team go into a game with nine players and finish the game with the same nine? No designated hitters. No pinch-hitters. No pinch-runners. No relief pitchers. No defensive replacements.

I honestly don't remember, but it probably involved Wilbur Wood. (I thought it might be this 11-inning Saturday afternoon game (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1972/B08120OAK1972.htm), but I forgot that Rich Morales went in as a defensive replacement in the ninth and Rick Reichardt pinch hit for Pat Kelly in the 10th and finished the game in right.)

I love this kind of baseball. This is winning baseball.

I wasn't worried about the lineup today because I knew winning hinged on Peavy's arm. I expected the White Sox to score more than one run, and they did have their chances. Unfortunately, Ramirez had a very rough day offensively. But for the second day in a row, the White Sox got a big two-out hit to provide the margin for victory.

The Nationals had their chances too -- in two innings -- but two of the three hits came with the first two hitters Peavy faced. After he got the next three hitters, he allowed only one more baserunner with a single over the next seven innings before walking two, one intentionally, in the ninth inning. I wouldn't have walked Adam Dunn intentionally because I wouldn't have put the winning run on base, but it was obviously the right move.

There have been better games pitched in the majors this year, but not many and certainly not by a White Sox pitcher.

The White Sox bullpen has been great in this series with an ERA of 0.00. White Sox starters have pitched 17 innings in two games and have an ERA of 0.53.

This is what great pitching looks like.

Craig Grebeck
06-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Gonna need a hell of a lot more offense when we get back to Chicago.

Glad we won, we just need to be better than this if we're serious about contending.

kobo
06-19-2010, 07:00 PM
This was the 7th straight game in which the Sox have not hit a homerun. And they're 6-1 in those games.

Evman5
06-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Just got back from the game. What a performance by Jake Peavy! I had the privilege to sit with WSI's NDSox12 at the game. Great guy and knowledgeable Sox fan!

The Good

Jake Peavy- What a start! This is the guy we traded for. If he can keep this up for the rest of the season we will be in great position to make a run.

Omar Vizquel- 2 for 4 on the day. He gives us a professional at-bat every time he is up at the plate. I wouldn't mind seeing him remain at 3rd base even when Teahen comes back. He is definitely a defensive upgrade.

The Defense- Every infielder made a great play today. Alexei has been throwing some serious leather lately.

Nationals Stadium- The park is gorgeous. I strongly suggest catching a game if you have the opportunity.

The Bad

Alexei's offense- He is looking like Soriano at the plate lately, swinging at every breaking ball in the dirt.

Beckham- Continues to looks lost at the plate. He's got to break out of it soon right?

I'll be back at the game tomorrow, hopefully watching a White Sox sweep. The only damper on the day is the Twins coming back from 5 down in the ninth to tie the game. Let's win tomorrow and get back to .500!

Crede24Thome25
06-19-2010, 07:03 PM
If only Philly had a bullpen we'd be 4.5 back. This was a hell of a game pitched by Jake.

LoveYourSuit
06-19-2010, 07:07 PM
As the old saying goes, One great week of baseball and you are back in it.

This has been one great week of baseball, especially the pitching. Did not see this team having a run like this in them.

Good to be wrong.

It's still a long climb, but hit .500 first.

JB98
06-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Resting both the No. 3 and No. 4 hitters in the lineup on the same day is, um, unorthodox to say the least. But you're not going to lose too many ballgames when the starting pitcher fires a three-hit shutout and doesn't allow a single hit after the second inning.

I know it's not fashionable to like Jake Peavy these days, but I still have faith in his abilities. I just hope he can stay healthy.

NDSox12
06-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Just got back from the game. What a performance by Jake Peavy! I had the privilege to sit with WSI's NDSox12 at the game. Great guy and knowledgeable Sox fan!

Likewise! It was great watching the game with you. Lots of Sox fans there today. I was shocked at the overall size of the crowd. I think this is the biggest crowd they have had this season excluding Strasburg's starts and Opening Day.

Way to go Jake Peavy!

Hopefully we can score some runs tomorrow. John Lannan has been terrible lately. Of course, J.D. Martin isn't any good either, but I assume Ozzie will go with a real lineup tomorrow.

Oh, and congratulations to Ryan Zimmerman for going 0 for 4 with 4 strike outs on his bobblehead day!

Zakath
06-19-2010, 07:36 PM
This was the 7th straight game in which the Sox have not hit a homerun. And they're 6-1 in those games.

And the other guy damn near had to throw a no-hitter to beat us in the loss.

Since Kenny's statement that things need to change, boy have they ever. That's 10 games straight with pretty much quality starts from all 5 starters. 21 runs surrendered total in 10 games.

As for the starters:
Garcia vs. Detroit (6-9): 7 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Danks vs. Detroit (6-10): 7 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
Peavy vs. Cubs (6-11): 7 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
Buerhle vs. Cubs (6-12): 6 2/3 IP, 8 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K
Floyd vs. Cubs (6-13): 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 9 K
Garcia vs. Pittsburgh (6-15): 5 2/3 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
Danks vs. Pittsburgh (6-16): 8 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
Buehrle vs. Pittsburgh (6-17): 7 1/3 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
Floyd vs. Washington (6-18): 8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
Peavy vs. Washington (6-19): 9 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

Sum it all up: In the last 10 games for the starters, that's 73 2/3 IP, 50 H, 15 ER, 18 BB, 54 K, for a 1.83 ERA and a 0.923 WHIP.

voodoochile
06-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Resting both the No. 3 and No. 4 hitters in the lineup on the same day is, um, unorthodox to say the least. But you're not going to lose too many ballgames when the starting pitcher fires a three-hit shutout and doesn't allow a single hit after the second inning.

I know it's not fashionable to like Jake Peavy these days, but I still have faith in his abilities. I just hope he can stay healthy.

I didn't get to see the game, but GameDay seemed to show him not throwing as hard as he has in the past, but his control was spot on according to the graphics (so much so that it caused Riggleman to get pissed and ejected over the strike zone). I wonder if his arm injuries made him rethink the issues he had with some of the tweeks Cooper tried to make to his delivery earlier this year. He struggled with it and then went back to his old delivery and had a couple of solid starts but then experienced arm trouble and struggled before being forced to miss a start. I'd hope that would get him thinking a bit.

Can anyone comment on the delivery he used today and whether it appears he has altered it at all?

If he can hit his spots and continue to throw all 6 pitches there is no reason he has to hit 95 to be effective. Maybe he's been watching Freddie and mark...:D:

veeter
06-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Hot streaks are fun. I love when Quentin is hitting well. He's a beast.

Dick Allen
06-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Sox won this game today in spite of Ozzie. You can't depend on your pitcher to pitch a shutout, which is essentially what he was doing with that lineup he trotted out there. I did agree with the IBB to Dunn in the 9th inning though, Dunn had gotten some pretty good swings against Peavy earlier.

thomas35forever
06-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Missed most of the game, but nice to see Jake finally pitch like the guy we acquired. Let's keep this train rolling, boys.

pudge
06-19-2010, 10:31 PM
This is what great pitching looks like.

Hope you got a good mental image of it, because these lineups we've faced the past nine games have been complete garbage.

Did the Twins really have to come back and win today? Bastards!

guillensdisciple
06-19-2010, 11:17 PM

This is more or less what Ozzie and Kenny envisioned when they created this team. Winning baseball through pitching, not mashing. Now, we are seeing it in action.

Hope you got a good mental image of it, because these lineups we've faced the past nine games have been complete garbage.

Did the Twins really have to come back and win today? Bastards!

Wow, good for them, I thought they had it lose after the second. Oh well, still 5.5 behind them and only 4 behind the Tiggers. Those two teams probably hear our footsteps now, and they are getting eerily closer.

This team is doing the complete opposite of what it did at the beginning of the season. When the season started, the White Sox found ways to lose- would not get calls, and nothing went right. Now, we are winning 1 run games and without the long ball. Things are looking up, and we are so close to the .500 mark. Who would have thought that we would be in this position 2 weeks ago? 4 games made up in a matter of two weeks, and a sweep tomorrow probably guarantees 5 games made up (Phillies won't lose again).

The White Sox have talent. I want to see Viciedo get in the mix as this line up needs some more RBI guys besides Konerko and Rios. Another threat in the line-up adds another scary dimension to this team.

DonnieDarko
06-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I really caution people to think of Viciedo as anything close to an impact player this year...thinking that he'll come in and crank out RBIs is a bit...hopeful.

guillensdisciple
06-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I really caution people to think of Viciedo as anything close to an impact player this year...thinking that he'll come in and crank out RBIs is a bit...hopeful.

If he's talented, why not? He could be a slow league talent which is fine, but if it clicks immediately he has the tools to be a good contributor.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-19-2010, 11:33 PM
This was the 2nd biggest win on this road trip, last night was the biggest win coming against Jesus. The odds were stacked against them with their 2 best hitters sitting and PV having arm issues, it wasn't all that pretty but they pulled through nonetheless. I'm convinced that the rotation is finally on track.
1 more for the :sweep :D:

DirtySox
06-19-2010, 11:36 PM
If he's talented, why not? He could be a slow league talent which is fine, but if it clicks immediately he has the tools to be a good contributor.

Dayan has great bat speed and power, but that is about it. He has no plate discipline, can't hit righties, and is a bad defender. He isn't a phenomenal talent. He'll probably hit better than the crap the Sox have put in the DH slot, but Mike Stanton he is not.

johnnyg83
06-19-2010, 11:40 PM
But this IS what the oracle foretold, no? Great starting pitching and scrappy offense.

Our pitching has been phenom on this road trip ...

lpneck
06-19-2010, 11:43 PM
When was the last time you saw a White Sox team go into a game with nine players and finish the game with the same nine? No designated hitters. No pinch-hitters. No pinch-runners. No relief pitchers. No defensive replacements.

I honestly don't remember, but it probably involved Wilbur Wood. (I thought it might be this 11-inning Saturday afternoon game (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1972/B08120OAK1972.htm), but I forgot that Rich Morales went in as a defensive replacement in the ninth and Rick Reichardt pinch hit for Pat Kelly in the 10th and finished the game in right.)

Interesting... the last time the White Sox only used only 9 players in a game was June 20, 2004. A 4-2 loss at Montreal. Jon Garland gave up a walk-off homer to Orlando Cabrera.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MON/MON200406200.shtml

Before that... Jim Parque beat the Cubs 5-3 at Wrigley on June 11, 1999.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199906110.shtml

Before that... Wilbur Wood on September 10, 1972. 5-1 loss at home to the Angels. (BOTH teams only used 9 players in this game.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197209100.shtml

TDog
06-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Interesting... the last time the White Sox only used only 9 players in a game was June 20, 2004. A 4-2 loss at Montreal. Jon Garland gave up a walk-off homer to Orlando Cabrera.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MON/MON200406200.shtml

Before that... Jim Parque beat the Cubs 5-3 at Wrigley on June 11, 1999.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199906110.shtml

Before that... Wilbur Wood on September 10, 1972. 5-1 loss at home to the Angels. (BOTH teams only used 9 players in this game.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197209100.shtml

Good stuff.

Of course, the Parque game was a rather infamously (with Cubs fans, anyway) rain-shortened one. The Garland game surprises me because he didn't pitch that many complete games, and the White Sox play so few games in NL cities.

The September 1972 game in both teams only used nine players apiece is interesting considering the rosters were expanded by that time. The Angels were out of the race, but the White Sox trying to stay with the A's who were pulling away from them.

The 3-1 11-inning win I referenced was nearly the second straight 1-0 win over the A's in Oakland, Tom Bradley pitching a 1-0 two-hit shutout the day before. As it was, it was only the second straight two hitter by White Sox pitching, which they used to pull into an August tie for first.

KMcMahon817
06-20-2010, 01:59 AM
I was never able to put a fork in the season in May and even in the beginning of June with so much baseball left to play and to watch. I think it is now safe to say that the Sox have figured out their main problem, the pitching, and they appear to be in a bit of a roll. It sure makes games a lot easier to sit through and enjoy when the Sox win. Let's get the sweep tomorrow and keep knocking at the Twinkies door step. :gulp:

ChiSoxGirl
06-20-2010, 02:03 AM
Day 4 of ChiSoxGirl being out of town and the Sox are 4-0 without me. Let the horns blow! :party: :bandance:

guillensdisciple
06-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Day 4 of ChiSoxGirl being out of town and the Sox are 4-0 without me. Let the horns blow! :party: :bandance:

You are the cure to the White Sox disease :D:.

or what USED to be the White Sox disease.

ChiSoxGirl
06-20-2010, 02:45 AM
You are the cure to the White Sox disease :D:.

or what USED to be the White Sox disease.

Interestingly, when I was in South Carolina during the first week of the season, the Sox went 0-4 without me in town. I'm 5-0 at the ballpark and, as I said earlier, the Sox are 4-0 since I got to California on Wednesday.

kufram
06-20-2010, 03:47 AM
I was never able to put a fork in the season in May and even in the beginning of June with so much baseball left to play and to watch. I think it is now safe to say that the Sox have figured out their main problem, the pitching, and they appear to be in a bit of a roll. It sure makes games a lot easier to sit through and enjoy when the Sox win. Let's get the sweep tomorrow and keep knocking at the Twinkies door step. :gulp:

Good for you! There CAN be joy in Mudville but sometimes you have to really want to see it, and then when you do it feels so much better. I like the look of the team in the dugout. They look loose and like they are having fun. With pitching and defense like we are getting of late all bets are off on the ruination. I feel some homers are just around the corner and with some home games coming up maybe an enthusiastic crowd will lift the offense.

Rohan
06-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Interestingly, when I was in South Carolina during the first week of the season, the Sox went 0-4 without me in town. I'm 5-0 at the ballpark and, as I said earlier, the Sox are 4-0 since I got to California on Wednesday.

Well.. I don't know what it is... But it's something!

harwar
06-20-2010, 07:02 AM
we didn't get the game here, and my daughters in town, so we listened to the game on the boat while fishing .. one of my father's day present's lol .. anyway i just watched the game on mlb.com and that is the Jake Peavy that won the CY Young .. painting the corners like a master, with amazing command and control .. ok lets see, great defense .. great pitching .. just enough offense to win .. sounds like a plan .. we're close enough to first now that i can ignore what the tigers and twins do and concentrate only on what the White Sox are doing .. just keep playing the way you are right now and win every series ..

Frankfan4life
06-20-2010, 10:51 AM
It was all Jake, all the time! I am so totally glad he's okay. We need all hands on deck.

Next goal .500! Let's do this!!! :bandance:

delben91
06-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Jake Peavy = Loss Machine

Rdy2PlayBall
06-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Jake Peavy = Loss MachineHe's on pace for a 15-12 record. 15 wins isn't that bad considering all the terrible starts he had at the beginning of the season. With starts like this, I wouldn't be surprised, and even expect this ERA to go into the high 3s, and his win/loss record to improve as well. He's got a TON of time to get his stats to where we expected at the beginning of the season. Hopefully he keeps producing like he has.

october23sp
06-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Just got back from the lake, awesome job Jake, please be the turning point in your time with the Sox.