PDA

View Full Version : Frank Starting?

Viva Magglio
06-21-2002, 09:42 AM
It appears Jerry Manuel may write Frank Thomas' name on the lineup card for tonight's game. I can hear Buffone screaming now!

duke of dorwood
06-21-2002, 09:44 AM
If he does, we may be no hit by Glavine.

Viva Magglio
06-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

:walnuts
Wow, I think I'm going to catch a cold from the backdraft of Frank's swing and a miss.

WinningUgly!
06-21-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Especially if he has that "Glavine strike zone" going for him...5 inches off the plate on either side.

RKMeibalane
06-21-2002, 02:11 PM
Glavine loves to pitch away from right-handed hitters. We all know what that means for Frank. Three pitches on the outside corner for strikes. Frank scowls at the homeplate umpire and returns to the bench.

oldcomiskey
06-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Im tired of everyone jumping on Frank--he had an injury last season--his timing is off-and besides the last time I looked he aint the only one not hitting

RKMeibalane
06-21-2002, 03:59 PM
It wasn't my intention to criticize Frank Thomas. If I did that, I would look like a hypocrite after the temper tantrum I threw a few weeks ago.

Perhaps I should use teal when posting about Frank or his evil twin, Francis. Believe me, I know how you feel as far as Frank is concerned. It's no fun watching him struggle, especially since his attitude this season has been exemplary.

Viva Magglio
06-21-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
Im tired of everyone jumping on Frank--he had an injury last season--his timing is off-and besides the last time I looked he aint the only one not hitting

So we bench our best hitter to appease Frank. Your last statement is all the more reason to start Paulie.

RKMeibalane
06-21-2002, 04:28 PM
Jerry Manuel is facing a dilemma when deciding who to start at first base. It is not a situation any of us would prefer to be in, I think.

The choice of starting Konerko seems obvious. After all, he's probably the Sox most dangerous hitter- in any situation. He is the most likely candidate to make the AL All Star team. There are some who even believe he may get MVP consideration if the Sox win their division.

Thomas, on the other hand, has not been himself for most of this season. He has been inconsistent, following great games with poor performances. Although his power numbers are excellent, his average is alarmingly low and puzzling to some. He strikes out far too often, and he rarely plays in the field. Some observers and scouts don't think the Sox need him anymore.

However, let us remember that in order for Frank to have any chance of turing his season around, he must get his share of at bats, even against Natoinal League teams. Pinch-hitting is a situation he is not comfortable with, as evidenced by his three strikeouts.

As bad as he has been, Frank is still on pace for yet another 30-homer, 100-RBI season. That's not too shabby, especially for the worst hitter in baseball. Make no mistake about it, the White Sox will need Frank Thomas if they are to have any chance of winning their division. Anybody who thinks they can do without him hasn't been paying attention.

Every good Major League team has three hitters who account for the majority of their run production. Frank's absence would leave the Sox with only two such players.

Because there is no DH in National League parks, the Sox must make due without one of their three best hitters, and that is unfortunate. Konerko deserves to be out there, but Frank does, too. Think about it. Do any of you honestly believe his timing will improve if he sits on the bench? If he doesn't get to play at all, he won't be of any use to the Sox against the Minnesota Twins, and if that is the case, you can forget about a division title this season.

TheBigHurt
06-22-2002, 12:03 AM
i agree... its not like hes royce clayton

Nellie_Fox
06-22-2002, 02:29 AM
Frank drives in the tying run with a double in the eighth (a rarity for the Sox, a late inning move) and where's the love? I agree that the Sox are going to need to get Frank going if they are going to catch and pass the Twins, much less do anything in the playoffs.

MLB needs to either force the NL to adopt the DH or do away with it if there are going to be interleague games. The current situation doesn't work.

FanOf14
06-22-2002, 10:23 AM
I agree that I wouldn't want to be Manuel in having to decide whether to play Thomas or Konerko. This year, Konerko is the better all around player and hitter (PK must have taken a page from Thomas's book as it seems like he is a bit more patient at bat). In the previous years Konerko has been with the team (99, 00, 01) Thomas was the better hitter (probably due to experience more than anything else) in 99 and 00, but because Thomas was out with injury last year Konerko was better - PK also led the team with 32 homeruns last year, inspite of his low BA. For whatever reason, I've noticed alot of fans on another message board that like to say because of past good years, that automatically makes Thomas a better player this year. The numbers say otherwise. Konerko has earned starting, but as I said before interleague play, Thomas will get his starts because of seniority. I am really glad that Thomas had a good night last night and I hope he builds on it instead of tinkering with his stance. I can't wait to get back to AL games.

harwar
06-22-2002, 10:46 AM
I thought The Big Hurt and Manuel both had good games.