PDA

View Full Version : Omar Vizquel Mancrush Thread

Jurr
06-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Alright, I'm sold. At first I thought the Vizquel signing would be nothing more than an instructional upgrade for our young infielders. I now sincerely believe that the veteran may end up being the glue that holds it together.

When Vizquel plays third base, I immediately get that Joe Crede feeling. This feeling, much appreciated by Sox fans, is the comfort in knowing that the hot corner is going to be covered. Omar makes the tough plays look easy. Mark Teahen makes the easy plays look tough.

Juan Pierre is doing a much better job in the leadoff hole than he did early in the year. I assume this is due to the weather getting better. That said, he needs a #2 hitter in the Iguchi mold. You need someone that can see some pitches, make contact, and sacrifice bunt at will. Omar can do this.

If Quentin continues to turn himself around, we'll have just enough power to be able to compete. It'll come down to execution with the rest of the offense. I was very excited to see the Sox sweep Pittsburgh without a homer. Putting early pressure on pitchers is key. If you force a defense to play on edge and you keep a pitcher's concentration off of the mitt, you play better offensive baseball. A Juan Pierre/Omar Vizquel 1/2 combo can help this happen.

I believe Vizquel is key for the duration of the year.

kittle42
06-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I think Teahen gets relegated to Nix duty when he returns, unless Vizquel goes in the tank like Jones did.

Dibbs
06-19-2010, 12:21 PM
So is Viciedo going to be riding pine? That is just one more mistake if that's the case.

I know what you mean about Vizquel though. I felt the same way about Uribe when he was at third. I was sad to see him leave.

voodoochile
06-19-2010, 12:31 PM
So is Viciedo going to be riding pine? That is just one more mistake if that's the case.

I know what you mean about Vizquel though. I felt the same way about Uribe when he was at third. I was sad to see him leave.

If he hits he becomes the DH...

harwar
06-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Omar Vizquel is the smartest man on the field .. his baseball instincts are rivaled, possibly only by A.J. when it comes to making a spit-second decision in the heat of the game .. he may be up there in years but he possesses so much pure talent that he is still better than any other player we could put at 3rd base or have bat 2nd .. when he signed with us i told my buddies that he was ,more than likely, done as a player but will make a wonderful coach .. i was dead wrong .. that man can play the game ..

TDog
06-19-2010, 12:49 PM
In February, I think, but certainly preseason, I posted that I could see the possibility of Vizquel becoming the regular third baseman. But I added that the White Sox would be in trouble if that were the case.

Maybe the White Sox aren't in that much trouble. Vizquel looks a lot better at the plate with the White Sox than he did the last two years with the Giants. And I think he defense at third base is a factor in White Sox pitchers pitching better of late.

Dibbs
06-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Got it, now that makes sense.

doublem23
06-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Vizquel at 3B has certainly helped the pitching staff. It must be nice to know you don't have an error machine at the hot corner. Plus, maybe this is just me, but Alexei seems to be playing better with Omar next to him. Maybe he's having the Orlando Cabrera effect on him.

I just wish we wouldn't have to keep batting him #2.

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Vizquel at 3B has certainly helped the pitching staff. It must be nice to know you don't have an error machine at the hot corner. Plus, maybe this is just me, but Alexei seems to be playing better with Omar next to him. Maybe he's having the Orlando Cabrera effect on him.

I just wish we wouldn't have to keep batting him #2.

When a shortstop has his right side covered by a good thirdbaseman, the shortstop is always going to look better. That's why having a good glove there is so valuable -there's a chain reaction around the infield.

Craig Grebeck
06-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Nothing better for the organization than bringing Viciedo up for an audition. That would be a crock of **** if true. Fortunately, it isn't.

HomeFish
06-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Anyone else notice that he has a resemblance to Julius Caesar?

Crede24Thome25
06-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Anyone else notice that he has a resemblance to Julius Caesar?
:lol: that comparison is right on, yes he does.

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 06:57 PM
More great glovework from Omar again today. I vote for writing in him at 3rd for the rest of the year.

JB98
06-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Frater Perdurabo advocated the Jeff Torborg theory earlier this season: When your team is struggling, put the best defense on the field.

I do believe Vizquel at 3B has been a key factor in the Sox getting a winning streak going here. Teahen is a butcher. Vizquel can handle any spot on the infield. Our run prevention has been much better since Teahen went on the DL.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Anyone notice some people on the score bashing his defense and saying his arm is too weak for 3rd? :?:
He had a pretty good throw today.

wassagstdu
06-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I apologize for dissing Vizquel before the season started. He has earned my respect. I would like to see him at short, Ramirez at second (or playing short on some warm weather team) and Beckham back at third. That would be our best defensive infield.

MarySwiss
06-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Anyone notice some people on the score bashing his defense and saying his arm is too weak for 3rd? :?:
He had a pretty good throw today.
I think you have to consider the source. His arm seems fine, and even if it was weak, the first part of playing third is being able to field the ball. IMO, he fields the position much better than anyone else we've had out there recently. I'd vote for keeping him in. :smile:

Mohoney
06-20-2010, 01:56 AM
I would like to see him at short, Ramirez at second (or playing short on some warm weather team) and Beckham back at third. That would be our best defensive infield.

Beckham can't get moved again. He needs to stay where he is.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2010, 01:58 AM
He had a pretty good throw today.He's one of those guys who doesn't throw just to show off his arm; he throws as hard as he needs to.

harwar
06-20-2010, 07:52 AM
He's one of those guys who doesn't throw just to show off his arm; he throws as hard as he needs to.

Omar made that throw with every fiber of his being behind it lol .. he is definitely one of the things that have gone right this year .. i just pray that they don't plug Teahen back in when he's off the DL just because he has a 3 year contract .. i realize that Teahen had pretty good numbers last year but Omar just gets things done ..

Jurr
06-20-2010, 09:05 AM
The Sox win a 1-0 game. Pitching and defense. No homers again. 10 of 12. Keep Omar in!

BringHomeDaBacon
06-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I was totally wrong about Vizquel. He has proven to be a VERY useful player. As long as we don't have a third basemen that can hit, it makes sense to have Vizquel in the lineup. Having 3 shortstops (including Beckham) playing in the infield can only help the staff.

Similarly, whenever Jones is in the lineup he should be in the OF over Quentin who should DH. If you've got 3 shortstop types and a couple of CF types in your lineup (3 if you count Pierre), you can start talking about pitching and defense.

thomas35forever
06-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm glad Vizquel has become more than we bargained for. As far as him starting for the rest of the season, I'm worried that he'll be back on the bench because of Teahen's contract.