PDA

View Full Version : I was totally WRONG!!!

Rockabilly
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
On May 1st.. I said there should be a fire sale and thought that way until we started facing these weak NL teams..

I now believe with our june and july schedule that we can win this division. We need to add another bat or two though.

twinsuck
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Honestly, I'm still not buying it. The teams we've been playing haven't been good, except the tiggers.

GoGoCrede
I think we can do it too. A few weeks ago, utterly disgusted by another loss I saw in person, I stuck my fork in the season. I am now removing said fork like Arthur took the sword out of the stone. :smile: Let's ****ing do this.

guillensdisciple
:D:

Happy to see this board light up with optimistic life once more. It's going to be a hell of a summer.

guillensdisciple
06-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Honestly, I'm still not buying it. The teams we've been playing haven't been good, except the tiggers.

I assume you assume Strasburg was not a big deal for you. We have come up big on many occasions now. This is not a fluke run. Not when you can beat a guy like Strasburg.

sox1970
06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. If they leave Minneapolis a month from today within 3.5 games, I'll buy into it. They still have to prove to me they can beat AL teams, including the Twins after the break. Plus, next week against the Braves and Cubs aren't gimmes.

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Yeah, but now is the time to gather up wins against NL teams, so we'll be in better shape, record-wise, when we start playing AL teams like the Twins, Red Sox, Yankees, etc.

twinsuck
06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
I assume you assume Strasburg was not a big deal for you. We have come up big on many occasions now. This is not a fluke run. Not when you can beat a guy like Strasburg.
We hardly beat him, it's not like we kicked his ass of anything, we got one run. I am happy we beat him though, don't get me wrong. I hope the Sox keep this going.

Rockabilly
06-18-2010, 10:50 PM
If we had beaten the lousy Cleveland team earlier in the season. We would be in a amazing spot right now

soltrain21
06-18-2010, 11:02 PM

We didn't beat him. We beat the Nationals in 11 innings. He gave up one run.

Whitesox029
06-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. If they leave Minneapolis a month from today within 3.5 games, I'll buy into it. They still have to prove to me they can beat AL teams, including the Twins after the break. Plus, next week against the Braves and Cubs aren't gimmes.
Cautiously optimistic is how I feel as well...for sure, this run is keeping KW's finger off the trigger as far as white-flag type trades. AJ has his 5/10 rights now. As far as tonight's win, we didn't exactly beat Strasburg, we beat the Nats' offense (and defense). Floyd has looked great in his last three starts, but he's had some major tough luck with the offense and bullpen. Each starter has looked great for his last two starts, in fact. Here's to hoping Peavy's arm thing is just a blip on the radar screen. He's scheduled to start tomorrow as of right now.
Most of all, winning 8 of 9 here goes to show how lights-out this team really could be if guys like Quentin and Beckham could start pulling (and hitting) their weight. I think it sort of vindicates Kenny in that he was right to expect good things of this team.
At the same time, we'll see how we match up when we see the Twins and the rest of the AL again. If we continue to play like this against them, then I will be totally convinced.

Also, in reference to my bolding in the quote...I think you're insulting the 40-28 Braves in a major way. The Cubs at Sox park are a gimme if I've ever seen one at 30-37, 4-6 in their last 10, and 13-20 on the road, missing the real Aramis Ramirez (and the fake one too, as he's on the DL). Anything less than 2 of 3 would be a major disappointment against them.

guillensdisciple
06-18-2010, 11:18 PM
People fear the fact that we have to play difficult teams in the future, but much of what was our problems were the weak teams in the past. We have done well against good teams, well against the tigers, well against the Twins, well against the Yanks (should have taken 2 in their place), and decent against other competitive teams. Most of the losses we have suffered have come at the hands of the crappy teams we are currently beating.

The White Sox are ready to roll.

StillMissOzzie
06-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Meh. The Sox are beating teams that they should be beating. This is one of those no-win situations where, although the Sox are beating up on these weak sisters, it tells you very little, but if the Sox were getting beat by these teams, it would tell you volumes.
On the other hand, I am enjoying this surge of effective starting pitching, and it is starting to look like Beckham and Quentin are coming around.

The did overcome one major obstacle, the Strasberg start, and came away with the win, even though they couldn't saddle Strasberg with his first MLB loss. Might as well sweep them, now. Then, take 4 of 6 or better from the Braves / Scrubs stretch, and I might become a true believer...

SMO
:gulp:

doublem23
06-19-2010, 12:37 AM
If nothing else, at least this little streak allows KW some more time to see what other teams get desperate for any of our players. When your team is in full free-fall, your GM is coming from a real weak spot negotiation-wise.

That, and it's enjoyable to watch the Sox without having that looming feeling of doom every game. At least it wasn't like the Death March to September that this team was playing earlier in the year. Playoffs are the goal, but with the hole they dug into it's still a bit early to say we're back in it, but if they can be competitive, it will at least be a fun summer.

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 12:45 AM
We didn't beat him. We beat the Nationals in 11 innings. He gave up one run.

We beat the Nationals with Strasburg starting. That just means the credit goes to the pitching and defense, it's still a tough win that only a good performance can pull out. Floyd and bullpen had to be outstanding and they were.

DonnieDarko
06-19-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm still not 100% sold on this team. But man are they making me want to get back into believing in them.

pudge
06-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Again, if this team were a stock, I would sell to all the suckers who think beating the Flubs, Pirates and Nats means it's time to print playoff tickets. But then again, I suck at playing the stock market, so GO SOX!

kufram
06-19-2010, 02:31 AM
When you are beating yourselves it doesn't matter what team is in the other dugout or how good or bad they are. We've stopped beating ourselves at the moment and the SP is doing what it was built to do.

We have several guys that are still so far below their worst case scenario batting averages that it is not pink cloud to hope that they will pick it up. There are signs that it has begun.

If the team run out to big cheers when they get home that will add incentive from the start of games. It appears to me that the team has a good spirit even through all the troubles and roles are being defined. If Carlos wakes up we have our needed hitter.

Domeshot17
06-19-2010, 02:48 AM
This run i great, its fun to enjoy watching baseball for a bit. That said, we need to add a hitter and fast. Pretty soon we have to play a DH again. Can't keep sweating out (or losing) games like this one. If we had a better offense, we win the sunday night cubs game and are within 5 back. A hitter in the next 3 weeks is probably a must if we want any shot, and it has to be an impact bat.

Dan H
06-19-2010, 03:05 AM
When you are beating yourselves it doesn't matter what team is in the other dugout or how good or bad they are. We've stopped beating ourselves at the moment and the SP is doing what it was built to do.

We have several guys that are still so far below their worst case scenario batting averages that it is not pink cloud to hope that they will pick it up. There are signs that it has begun.

If the team run out to big cheers when they get home that will add incentive from the start of games. It appears to me that the team has a good spirit even through all the troubles and roles are being defined. If Carlos wakes up we have our needed hitter.

It is very true that the White Sox are not beating themselves. That is what the Nationals and the Cubs did against the Angels. Not making these key mistakes leads me to be somewhat optimistic. However, this is still not a great offense and who knows when another prolonged slump is coming around the bend,

Making any significant moves before the All-Star would not have been smart. Regardless what happens in 2010, I still think some major changes need to be made. A couple weeks of good play hasn't totally changed my mind about this team.

guillensdisciple
06-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Why must everyone on this board be a realist? Can't well all just get together and believe that the Sox are goig to pull this off. I am reading way too much "I am not sold yet" stuff. It's not to my liking.

QCIASOXFAN
06-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Still glass half full here!

kufram
06-19-2010, 04:47 AM
It is very true that the White Sox are not beating themselves. That is what the Nationals and the Cubs did against the Angels. Not making these key mistakes leads me to be somewhat optimistic. However, this is still not a great offense and who knows when another prolonged slump is coming around the bend,

Making any significant moves before the All-Star would not have been smart. Regardless what happens in 2010, I still think some major changes need to be made. A couple weeks of good play hasn't totally changed my mind about this team.

Agreed.. except that if the starting pitching continues to perform we don't need a great offense, but enough offense to win. We currently have that and there is reason to think it could improve. KW wisely didn't give in to popular demand and panic. AJ could pick up now that his 10/5 status protects him somewhat. Regardless he is what is needed with the pitching staff we have. Carlos could have a big impact with just a few more hits because his RBIs have been good considering his dismal average. Beckham is getting the ball into play, at least. Omar is Omar at third and wiley with the bat. Our running game is better than most. PK is on top form. Rios doesn't show signs of falling off. Alexei is hitting. The defense is a little surprisingly good with Juan being better than advertised lately. Bobby seems to have turned it around and the rest of the pen has been good all along really

Of course, adding an impact bat could make a big difference. That is always true, but it starts with the SP coming up to Freddies standard and Freddie staying there.

The time to give up on the season had not arrived yet despite evidence to the contrary... it was simply too early and everyone was performing so badly that it just couldn't carrying on like that forever. Now they just have to keep up a good head of steam and win series consistently and they'll be in a position to compete for the post-season. Then anything can happen.

soxinem1
06-19-2010, 06:30 AM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://www.morristownfirerescue.com/files/2218712/uploaded/Bingo%20Title.png

soltrain21
06-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Why must everyone on this board be a realist? Can't well all just get together and believe that the Sox are goig to pull this off. I am reading way too much "I am not sold yet" stuff. It's not to my liking.

I'm sorry this isn't an episode of Barney for you. The fact is right now the team is playing really well. They played really ****ty for a lot longer than they've played well.

Lillian
06-19-2010, 07:25 AM
With the exception of last night's game in which we faced an amazing pitcher, the rest of the recent victories don't prove much, because of the caliber of competition.

However, getting into the race is the first order of business. If that can be accomplished, regardless of the level of competition, then the question is do they have the pieces to make a run?

This is not an old team that needs to get rid of a lot of veterans. They have a lot of younger players who will be under their control for a while.
The question is; Are these young guys good enough to consider a core that you can count on, and add to?

I like the nucleus of Danks, Floyd, Hudson, Santos, Beckham, Quentin, and Rios. If they can slowly add in the best of the small group of decent prospects like Flowers, Viciedo, Mitchell, and Morel there wouldn't really be that many holes to fill. And then there is Sales, assuming he signs.
I'm not even that worried about Peavy, because this pitching staff is good enough and deep enough that they could probably plug in Hudson to take Peavy's place during a stint on the DL, and not suffer too much. Of course, financially it would be a disaster, having that much tied up in a pitcher who wasn't contributing.

The best part of this current team could be that bullpen, assuming that everyone stays healthy, and that Jenks can continue to pitch like he has lately. Bullpens seem to be the key to success these days, and they have the relievers to compete with anyone.

I still think that the one missing piece, for both this year and next, is a middle of the order left handed bat. I have no idea how they can come up with one quickly enough to have a shot this season. Maybe Delgado will soon be healthy enough to be considered a candidate.

They need to continue to play closer to their potential and expectations, as they have the last couple of weeks. If they do that, and find a left handed bat, anything could happen.

Could the recently released Iwamura be an option for the rest of this year to play third? Teahen just doesn't look good enough defensively to be counted upon, even if he could get his offensive game back on track, when he returns from the DL. Iwamura would give them decent defense and his career OBP is better than anyone on the current White Sox roster!! (Of course, that isn't saying much)
Is Iwamura now healthy enough to be considered an option?
I like Omar at third defensively, and he's still pretty good as a #2 hole hitter. However, he's just too old to be considered an every day player.

cws05champ
06-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Still glass half full here!

I already traded my glass for a couple sippy cups with good potential...

Frontman
06-19-2010, 07:41 AM
The Sox are winning games good teams are supposed to win. The true test is to beat a good team and prove they are a great team. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Either way, get another win today White Sox!!!

TommyJohn
06-19-2010, 08:15 AM

I'm sorry this isn't an episode of Barney for you. The fact is right now the team is playing really well. They played really ****ty for a lot longer than they've played well.
Yeah, what're you thinking, being an optimist? Life ain't all sunshine, rainbows, puppies and flowers, ya know. Go watch your Barney, leave the Sox to us gritty, tough pessimists.

RealFan
06-19-2010, 09:07 AM
"Reversion to the mean" is what they taught me in statistics in business school. I believe that's what we're seeing right now albeit against some weak competition. That being said, baseball is so mental that anything to help our boys snap out of it and play more consistently is well worth it, even if that means we beat up on weak NL teams.

I think this bodes very well for the future because if this "reversion to the mean" had occurred in late August after we were well out of it, no one would care. They are "reverting" in time to save their season. That's how I see it.

EdHerman12
06-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Well, it's sure good to see us gaining ground in the division. It has been great to see our starting pitching coming around finally...especially Gavin...whatever adjustments he made are working big time. Now.... if the Sox can get those bats going and start scoring more runs...they're going to make things very interesting...and very difficult for other teams....

The schedule coming up is winnable I think, and I though never try to look ahead too far....by the time we roll into KC at the end of the month.....:happyguy:

One game at a time!

Red Barchetta
06-19-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm glad they are getting a taste of winning baseball. Something they could not do earlier in the season. As mentioned, if Quentin and Beckham can come back strong the rest of the season, the SOX match up well in the division.

Currently, the SOX have a better road record than home record, so they need to start winning at home! The Braves series is certainly no gimme, however we need to win the Cub series at The Cell!

palehozenychicty
06-19-2010, 09:35 AM
They survived last night against Strasburg and got a win. After the first inning, their at-bats were dismal. I like that they're winning games, since it's contagious. But I need a month against AL competition. The offense still isn't very strong either.

BRDSR
06-19-2010, 09:38 AM
WSI forgive me, for I have sinned. It has been two years since my last White Sox game. I have become complacent, and allowed the distractions of this world, like law school, to blind me. Even two weeks ago, when I purchased tickets to this weekend's White Sox/Nationals series, I was just going through the motions, getting tickets because I knew there could be no excuse for failing to see the White Sox play just ten miles from my apartment. I will admit that I was nearly as excited to watch Stephen Strasburg (when we thought he was going to pitch Saturday) as I was to watch the White Sox.

But then the White Sox won 8 of 9, and moved to within 5.5 games of the division leading Twins, and now I am PUMPED to go see the team today and tomorrow! I don't give a flying **** whether it was against miserable competition, 8 out of 9 is good no matter who you're playing!

Go White Sox, Go Phillies, and Go Diamondbacks!

Oh, and Go Angels!

hawkjt
06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
As has been said, the Sox desperately needed a streak of some sorts no matter who they played just to get back in this..now,keep it going the rest of the weekend and into next week vs the hot Braves and the lukewarm Cubs.

The Sox need to chip away at the Twins and tigers lead..until Aug. when they have what could be the decisive stretch of the season...19 straight games vs Det(6),Twins(6) and Orioles (7). I hate the schedule-makers. If the Sox happen to be cold in that stretch,or the Twins or Tigers happen to be hot...we are doomed. Of course then the Yankees come to town for 4...just for some relief?

Last year the Sox were in it into August but we all knew that the Twins had the favorable schedule in Aug and Sept...and it played out that way.
I do not know the Twins schedule this year,but gotta hope it works for the Sox this year.

Jurr
06-19-2010, 10:24 AM
This team reminds me at the moment of the '05 Sox once they beat Detroit to win the division. It seemed like all the pressure was off and they could just let their talent work.

I don't know if it was the Kenny/Ozzie near brawl or what, but it seems like the team is just pulling together and not trying to do too much. They still have some work to do to get back into contention, but they are trending up.

Hitmen77
06-19-2010, 12:07 PM
On May 1st.. I said there should be a fire sale and thought that way until we started facing these weak NL teams..

I now believe with our june and july schedule that we can win this division. We need to add another bat or two though.

I'm glad we're doing well, getting close to .500 and cutting some of our huge deficit vs. the Twins.

.....but I'm not buying into this team as a possible contender when we start rattling off wins vs. American League teams.

If Beckham and Quentin start hitting again and if (HUGE "if") Viciedo finds some offensive success in the majors.....and if our starting pitching performs to their capabilities, then things might get interesting this year. But that's still a lot of "ifs".

A. Cavatica
06-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm not allowing myself to be suckered again. This team has the same flaws it had two weeks ago.

RadioheadRocks
06-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Ok no Pollyannas and no Dark Clouds, let's just watch White Sox baseball.

soxnut67
06-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Well I'm being cautiously optomistic myself. But the other night Hawk mentioned that the sox were .500 against teams over .500 and six under teams under .500. Guess they'r starting to turn that around.

And just as a side note. For anyone who remembers '83 or is interested. At this point 27 years ago the sox werent over .500 either.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1983-schedule-scores.shtml:bandance::gulp:

gosox41
06-19-2010, 10:17 PM
I think we can do it too. A few weeks ago, utterly disgusted by another loss I saw in person, I stuck my fork in the season. I am now removing said fork like Arthur took the sword out of the stone. :smile: Let's ****ing do this.

I don't know if I'd get excited about domination over the Cubs, Pittsburgh, and Washington.

I'm waiting until we play and beat good teams with some consistency before getting excited. It's good to see such a high winning percentage against the bad one's but this team has a lot to prove to me for me to get excited.

For starters, beating Cleveland and having a winning a winning record against Minny would be nice.

Bob

GoGoCrede
06-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't know if I'd get excited about domination over the Cubs, Pittsburgh, and Washington.

I'm waiting until we play and beat good teams with some consistency before getting excited. It's good to see such a high winning percentage against the bad one's but this team has a lot to prove to me for me to get excited.

For starters, beating Cleveland and having a winning a winning record against Minny would be nice.

Bob

You're correct in that once interleague play is over, the true test will be playing AL teams. But I think this team is really starting to play with confidence from beating NL teams. Maybe it will convince them into thinking they can beat formidable AL ones, too. Who knows?

Also, as I've said before, we need to gather up wins against weaker teams so that when we play teams like the Red Sox or Yankees, our record will be in better shape.

theamb
06-20-2010, 02:57 PM

They didn't beat Strasburg. They beat the Nationals bullpen.

Like others, let's see what the Sox do against some teams that aren't bottom feeders.

Or, at the very least, have the Sox beat up on the Pirates and Nationals of the AL Central for a change

nlentz88
06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
I do not know the Twins schedule this year,but gotta hope it works for the Sox this year.

Twins' August Schedule: Tampa Bay (4), Cleveland (3), Sox (6), Oakland (3), Angels (3), Texas (4), Seatle (4), Detroit (1).

Twins' September & October Schedule: Detroit (6), Texas (3), Kansas City (6), Cleveland (6), Sox (3), Oakland (3), Toronto (4).

mcsoxfan
06-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Take away the ridiculous loss last Sunday night to the Cubs and they have won 11 in a row. As it is they're 10-1 but they're managed to pick up only 3 games on the Twins who won impressively the last two days in Philadelphia.

The Twins pitching will prevent them from breaking out from the pack but the Sox lack of a good situational hitting will keep them from catching the Twins.

Reinsdorf said today he was not adverse to adding payroll. But it took the Sox to turn invincible for him to make that proclamation knowing damn well the Sox will not keep up this kind of pace. This is why that guy irks me to no end. It was clear prior to the winter meetings the Sox could have something special with their pitching but it was going to take a full commitment by ownership to build an multi-dimensional offense around it. They didn't and now we are being teased by a break in the schedule.

I think they call this irrational exuberance.

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I thought we were dead in the water a few weeks ago, but I think we still have life left now.

Domeshot17
06-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Atleast it has been fun to watch baseball lately. That said, our pitching has almost entirely fueled this run. Its a blessing and a curse. The offense won't win like this in the AL. We will see if Kenny decides to get us some help, but we need someone who can hit to help keep us in this thing. Our lack of offensive talent cost us a week ago in Chicago, and that's a huge game right now. Quentin and Beckham can be nice complimentary pieces, but there is no way we can endure this run without a bat that can help carry the load. Even an guy like Laroche who can give us needed power from the left side and an 800 + OPS makes a lot of sense.

pudge
06-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Atleast it has been fun to watch baseball lately. That said, our pitching has almost entirely fueled this run. Its a blessing and a curse. The offense won't win like this in the AL. We will see if Kenny decides to get us some help, but we need someone who can hit to help keep us in this thing. Our lack of offensive talent cost us a week ago in Chicago, and that's a huge game right now. Quentin and Beckham can be nice complimentary pieces, but there is no way we can endure this run without a bat that can help carry the load. Even an guy like Laroche who can give us needed power from the left side and an 800 + OPS makes a lot of sense.

Totally agree, this is all smoke and mirrors if we don't start whooping some AL teams. Rios and Konerko can't carry the whole freakin' load.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Even if we finish something like 5 over .500 and don't win the division, we can still look into next year with thoughts of being able to compete with a similar team with a few tweeks to get things started quicker. If we played the whole season like we were a few weeks ago, then we'd be in some trouble. The easiest solution for our problems could lye with Quentin and Beckham's batting averages...

guillensdisciple
06-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Even if we finish something like 5 over .500 and don't win the division, we can still look into next year with thoughts of being able to compete with a similar team with a few tweeks to get things started quicker. If we played the whole season like we were a few weeks ago, then we'd be in some trouble. The easiest solution for our problems could lye with Quentin and Beckham's batting averages...

Don't forget that Konerko and A.J are probably gone, and while A.J's departure might not haunt us in the long run the production Paulie has delivered will be hard to grab somewhere else.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Don't forget that Konerko and A.J are probably gone, and while A.J's departure might not haunt us in the long run the production Paulie has delivered will be hard to grab somewhere else.Well. His replacement would have to be one of those "tweeks" I mentioned. :D:

I'd like to sign him as a DH and get a really good 1st baseman. Konerko is a stand-up guy just like Dye. I'd bet he'd take a decent amount less to stay with the Sox. If he finishes this year with the 100+ RBIs hes on pase for, KW would be stupid not to resign him with the hometown discount the Sox would probably get. He'd be perfect for DH because he could make starts at 1st during interlague and whenever our new 1st baseman needs rest. (or maybe the other way around). I don't know, but Rios and the now producing pitching staff are getting me excited to be a Sox fan again, even if it doesn't come this year.

I could live without AJ. Though I hope he's the Sox manager one day... at least some kind of coach for the Sox.

guillensdisciple
06-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Well. His replacement would have to be one of those "tweeks" I mentioned. :D:

I'd like to sign him as a DH and get a really good 1st baseman. Konerko is a stand-up guy just like Dye. I'd bet he'd take a decent amount less to stay with the Sox. If he finishes this year with the 100+ RBIs hes on pase for, KW would be stupid not to resign him with the hometown discount the Sox would probably get. He'd be perfect for DH because he could make starts at 1st during interlague and whenever our new 1st baseman needs rest. (or maybe the other way around). I don't know, but Rios and the now producing pitching staff are getting me excited to be a Sox fan again, even if it doesn't come this year.

I could live without AJ. Though I hope he's the Sox manager one day... at least some kind of coach for the Sox.

I would gladly keep Paulie at DH- hopefully he allows us to do so with a good home discount. Also, I would like to see the Sox improve in free agency.

With the bolded part, I agree 100 percent, he's exactly the kind of manager that works for the White Sox. An Ozzie Guillen basically. It would be a pleasure seeing him here, and I think he would be honored to be in our clubhouse. Him and the organization could not be on better terms. He has been White Sox baseball since he came here. Great guy, and a great baseball player.

soltrain21
06-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Take away the ridiculous loss last Sunday night to the Cubs and they have won 11 in a row. As it is they're 10-1 but they're managed to pick up only 3 games on the Twins who won impressively the last two days in Philadelphia.

The Twins pitching will prevent them from breaking out from the pack but the Sox lack of a good situational hitting will keep them from catching the Twins.

Reinsdorf said today he was not adverse to adding payroll. But it took the Sox to turn invincible for him to make that proclamation knowing damn well the Sox will not keep up this kind of pace. This is why that guy irks me to no end. It was clear prior to the winter meetings the Sox could have something special with their pitching but it was going to take a full commitment by ownership to build an multi-dimensional offense around it. They didn't and now we are being teased by a break in the schedule.

I think they call this irrational exuberance.

I agree with you about needing another bat, but our terrible start was because of the starting pitching. Now they are coming around and, whaddya know? The team is winning.

Dan H
06-21-2010, 07:19 AM
I am enjoying the winning, but we must not forget the White Sox are chasing two teams, not one. Their bad start put them in a bad position. Now that they have gotten to .500, it is now up the front office to do something if it can. The pitching will keep them close, but the offense will cost them in the end if something isn't done.

SCCWS
06-21-2010, 07:27 AM
I agree with you about needing another bat, but our terrible start was because of the starting pitching. Now they are coming around and, whaddya know? The team is winning.

I am still cautious about this season. The Sox are on a great streak but against average competition. But the Twins have been slipping agianst similar teams.
I think the bigger concern for the White Sox is the overall lack of depth majors and minors. While many teams-Red Sox-Twins-Yankees- have been playing through injuries, the White Sox have not had a major injury. I think the Sox could take a hit w one starter and survive, but I would be very concerned if guys like Konerko-Rios or AJ went down for an extended period.
I saw a note yesterday that the Red Sox have recalled 10 different players from the minors so far this season. Yet they are trailing in the AL East by 2 games. That is extreme but shows how some teams stock their AAA team w veteran guys as well as draft picks.

hawkjt
06-21-2010, 07:28 AM
They have had 25 ? hits the last two days,right? Sure, they have not piled up runs because a lot have been singles,but I find it very encouraging. I see signs of life in the bats of Juan,Omar,Carlos,Gordo,Dayan,AJ,Alexis along with the hot bats of Alex and PK. Even Kotsay has had some good swings of late.

I think the second half these guys could get hot and bring their averages up to historical norms...if they just do that, they will score enough runs.

I am not against looking for a DH but I just cannot see replacing any of the above as they are playing tight infield defense right now.

Law11
06-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Its nice to see they have some life in them but get back to me after interleague when we clash in the division again. Detroit has gotten hot too.

We do this it seems like every year.. Im happy not thrilled ... YET.

Paulwny
06-21-2010, 11:16 AM
This team is similar to a so-so poker hand. You stay in to see another card and that card slightly improves your hand, causing you to add to the pot to see another card.
I'm folding unless KW pulls an ace out of the deck.

russ99
06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Interesting to hear the Chairman's comments over the weekend that we could get another player if we make a big push.

As good as this run is, do I expect us to fall back a little vs. good AL competition, like the Rangers and Angels.

We still need a bat, even if our pitching continues at it's expected level. If Quentin's turnaround stalls, then we need two.

My hope at this point is that Dayan does so well in the next 2 weeks that he takes playing time away from Kotsay and Jones.

pudge
06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
While many teams-Red Sox-Twins-Yankees- have been playing through injuries, the White Sox have not had a major injury.

What are you talking about? We have managed to survive the loss of Block-Hands Teahen!!

bunty_doghunter
06-21-2010, 12:41 PM
This team is similar to a so-so poker hand. You stay in to see another card and that card slightly improves your hand, causing you to add to the pot to see another card.
And if you go all-in now, you have to be prepared to lose everything and go begging for a long time.

You also have to consider age as a factor in your replacements when your team pillars are aging ones.

voodoochile
06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
And if you go all-in now, you have to be prepared to lose everything and go begging for a long time.

You also have to consider age as a factor in your replacements when your team pillars are aging ones.

The only truly "aging" pillars are Konerko, AJ, Buehrle and Thornton. I guess you could throw Pierre into that mix too.

All the rest are currently in their prime or still young.

AJ and Konerko are both expected to leave this off season and in the process open up money to spend (or sign for less years and money than their current contracts) and Pierre is only signed for one more year.

Due to the way he's used, Thornton will probably remain effective longer than a starter or position player would.

The future pillars are Beckham, Quentin, Ramirez, Rios, Peavy, Danks, Floyd and hopefully Flowers and Viciedo, That group should easily have at least 3-4 years left in it before some of it becomes "aging" too.

It's a misconception, IMO that this team is getting old. If anything it's gotten younger in the past few years. Now if Quentin, Beckham and Floyd in particular don't prove to be true pillars then the team will have some problems, but age isn't one of them.

cards press box
06-21-2010, 02:20 PM

It's a better poker hand than you might think. Most championship teams have a top flight quartet of starters and Danks, Peavy, Buerhle and Floyd are starting to pitch really well. Freddy Garcia has a lights-out #5 and the bullpen just keeps getting better. When the Sox pitch as well as they have and catch the ball as well as they have in the past two weeks, they would a nightmare for anyone to face in the playoffs.

KW just added Dayan Viciedo who could be an offensive force in the second half. And now it appears that the Sox will use #1 draft pick Chris Sale in relief this year in hopes of bringing him to Chicago as a second bullpen lefty in August.

One final thought: a 14-8 record in one-run games, the second best record in the majors. Things are looking good.

Paulwny
06-21-2010, 02:33 PM
It's a better poker hand than you might think. Most championship teams have a top flight quartet of starters and Danks, Peavy, Buerhle and Floyd are starting to pitch really well. Freddy Garcia has a lights-out #5 and the bullpen just keeps getting better. When the Sox pitch as well as they have and catch the ball as well as they have in the past two weeks, they would a nightmare for anyone to face in the playoffs.

KW just added Dayan Viciedo who could be an offensive force in the second half. And now it appears that the Sox will use #1 draft pick Chris Sale in relief this year in hopes of bringing him to Chicago as a second bullpen lefty in August.

One final thought: a 14-8 record in one-run games, the second best record in the majors. Things are looking good.

Right now I have little faith in Viciedo being a force on offense until he gets his feet wet and feels comfortable being in the bigs.
The card KW needs to find is a proven player that can handle being a DH.

kittle42
06-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Everyone keeps mentioning getting a DH, but I missed when Ozzie said he'd be willing to have one.

Paulwny
06-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning getting a DH, but I missed when Ozzie said he'd be willing to have one.

That's part of the problem, who is running the show, Oz or KW ?

Hitmen77
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM

I think our success over the last 9 games has shown that Ozzie is right that we don't need a legitimate everyday player at DH to win.

voodoochile
06-21-2010, 03:12 PM

That's part of the problem, who is running the show, Oz or KW ?

I think if KW gave OG a bat to use at the DH slot he'd do it. He figured he'd be fine with Kotsay and Jones bouncing around and giving him the flexibility to rest PK and TCQ regularly at DH to keep them fresh., but I sincerely doubt he feels that way anymore and would welcome the addition of another bat.

If that bat (ala Viciedo) can give him the flexibility to still rest PK or fill in at 3B on a regular basis, I think he'd be fine with it.

Craig Grebeck
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
At this point, does Kotsay really need someone to take ABs away from him? He should point to the sky after every 4-3 out and thank God he's making over a million dollars to be a ****ty ballplayer.

TheVulture
06-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I would gladly keep Paulie at DH- hopefully he allows us to do so with a good home discount.

I don't get all this talk about keeping PK as a DH (instead of 1b) for next year. Are you guys hoping to sign Keith Hernandez to man first base?

BringHomeDaBacon
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Right now I have little faith in Viciedo being a force on offense until he gets his feet wet and feels comfortable being in the bigs.

I agree that what this team (predictably) needs is a DH. Our DHs this year have the following numbers: 7 HR, 26 RBI, .220/.294/.354. It wouldn't take much more than showing up to the park everyday to top those numbers. 68 games into the damn season and we're still looking at the same problem most everyone identified from day one. Hitters like Hank Blalock and Pat Burell have been getting picked up off the scrap heap while we're still monkeying around with Mark Kotsay. Hopefully Dayan Viciedo will put an end to this nonsense once and for all.

cards press box
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree that what this team (predictably) needs is a DH. Our DHs this year have the following numbers: 7 HR, 26 RBI, .220/.294/.354. It wouldn't take much more than showing up to the park everyday to top those numbers. 68 games into the damn season and we're still looking at the same problem most everyone identified from day one. Hitters like Hank Blalock and Pat Burell have been getting picked up off the scrap heap while we're still monkeying around with Mark Kotsay. Hopefully Dayan Viciedo will put an end to this nonsense once and for all.

I think he can.

Hitmen77
06-21-2010, 07:12 PM

I'm not counting on Viciedo being able to come up here and fill that huge hole in our lineup. But I agree with the theory that this is why Kenny brought him up.

If he can click, that's a nice solution to our "Kotsay/Jones at DH" problem. If he doesn't work out and we manage to stay within striking distance of the division leaders (which is still a big if), then I maybe KW will see if he can pick up another bat for us in July.

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2010, 07:30 PM
At this point, does Kotsay really need someone to take ABs away from him? He should point to the sky after every 4-3 out and thank God he's making over a million dollars to be a ****ty ballplayer.

This begs the question what should Quentin do as for the past four weeks Kotsay has been more productive than Quentin.

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
The only truly "aging" pillars are Konerko, AJ, Buehrle and Thornton. I guess you could throw Pierre into that mix too.

All the rest are currently in their prime or still young.

AJ and Konerko are both expected to leave this off season and in the process open up money to spend (or sign for less years and money than their current contracts) and Pierre is only signed for one more year.

Due to the way he's used, Thornton will probably remain effective longer than a starter or position player would.

The future pillars are Beckham, Quentin, Ramirez, Rios, Peavy, Danks, Floyd and hopefully Flowers and Viciedo, That group should easily have at least 3-4 years left in it before some of it becomes "aging" too.

It's a misconception, IMO that this team is getting old. If anything it's gotten younger in the past few years. Now if Quentin, Beckham and Floyd in particular don't prove to be true pillars then the team will have some problems, but age isn't one of them.

I don't think Quentin belongs on this list. He has been abysmal this year, but in the past five games he has shown signs of life. This is make or break for Quentin and so far it has not looked good. Maybe he turns it around starting now, but I'm not quite ready to build an offense around him.

Craig Grebeck
06-21-2010, 07:56 PM
This begs the question what should Quentin do as for the past four weeks Kotsay has been more productive than Quentin.
.220/.328/.380
.215/.297/.418

Those are each's splits over the last 28 days. I'll take Carlos, still. He's worth it.

That said, I would DH him and move Teahen to RF once he's back and healthy. If Viciedo must stay up, well, I don't know. Vizquel should at least stay at the hot corner until the all-star break.

Edit: I agree with you wholeheartedly that he's looked a lot better the last week or so. Confidence is a huge issue for Carlos, and I think a hot streak would do more for him than the average player.

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2010, 08:07 PM
.220/.328/.380
.215/.297/.418

Those are each's splits over the last 28 days. I'll take Carlos, still. He's worth it.

That said, I would DH him and move Teahen to RF once he's back and healthy. If Viciedo must stay up, well, I don't know. Vizquel should at least stay at the hot corner until the all-star break.

Edit: I agree with you wholeheartedly that he's looked a lot better the last week or so. Confidence is a huge issue for Carlos, and I think a hot streak would do more for him than the average player.

Quentin has so many moving parts in his swing that need to line up perfectly and it's hard to do. The past five games he's looked great, but it's going to take more than five games to convince me he's back.

For what it's worth, I'd take Quentin too and cut Kotsay once Teahen comes back. Teahen can be the supersub. Hopefully Viciedo can hit and hit well for us.

voodoochile
06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't think Quentin belongs on this list. He has been abysmal this year, but in the past five games he has shown signs of life. This is make or break for Quentin and so far it has not looked good. Maybe he turns it around starting now, but I'm not quite ready to build an offense around him.

If you'd read the final sentence before replying, you'd see that we are basically in agreement. I'm not sure he'll ever live up to the hype and expectations he created his first year in Chicago, but he's definitely someone the Sox want to be a future pillar, just a question of whether he actually can be.

I don't think it's fair to evaluate his performance from last year as anything other than an injury riddled season. This year has been disappointing, but from my perspective it's only been 3 months of less than expected production while the whole team has been pressing, he's been slumping and he's playing a "new" position. Yes, I realize he used to be a RF before coming to Chicago, but he spent all of the last two in LF, so he's been "relearning" the position and again, the whole damned team has been slumping and pressing and given his mental makeup I'd assume he's been brooding on his lack of success and the team's failings too.

We'll see if he can turn it around and keep this current warm streak going and maybe even turn it into a genuine hot streak. The fact he finally is getting some protection from the people behind him and is getting to hit more with men on base while batting 5th will hopefully help out...

We will see...