PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Strasburg was good, Floyd was better! 6/18 Postgame

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Yes! I think that's the best game we've seen out of Floyd all year, complete with the basehit.

SephClone89
06-18-2010, 09:02 PM
I was at work, so I just caught it from the bottom of the ninth on.

Does this count as a "run"? :D:

Sockinchisox
Awesome win!

BadBobbyJenks
Pitching and Defense :o:

Great win, let's sweep these asshats.

october23sp
Wow, I stuck around to watch it, glad I did, we won the unwinnable game this series. Keep clawing 32-34.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
everything... EVERYTHING! is going right for this team! Now lets go for the sweep and get back to .500! :bandance:

DumpJerry
April and May are fleeting memories.:D:

JDub35
White Sox: Welcome to the 2010 baseball season. I missed you in April. Stay hot!!

WhiteSox5187
Dare we make it five?

Holy ****, can we get to .500 by the time we get home?!

sox1970
Floyd was better? Really? Ok...

Great win. 5.5 out.

whitesox4eva
WHAT A GAME!!! :wooty::hug::party::wired::drunken::moonwalk::kerm it

Streets
06-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Was really hoping Floyd would get the W this time around... happy for the win regardless.

Shoeless
Strasburg was unreal, but our pitching was good enough

harwar
Gavin was ****ing AWESOME and things just seem to be going our way out here in national league territory .. what a game .. best i've seen this year .. pssst hey twins .. we're coming

soxnut1018
Sox have won 9 of 11! We are right back in this race.

Haven't posted this in a while:

kM7C_yNlCLU
:bandance::bandance::bandance:
:bliss::bliss::bliss:

soxfan1965
06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Floyd again against a tough opposing pitcher (10 K's), makes up for Sunday night. Nice clutch hit by Rios.

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:05 PM

Great win. 5.5 out.

Because he got a basehit. :) And it was the first title that came into my head. If the mods (or anyone) can think of a better one, by all means, change it.

voodoochile
06-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Nice win. Good effort by Floyd and then the bullpen kept us even. Sox scrapped out a second run and the rest as they say is history...

:soxwin:

:twinslose

:)

JB98
06-18-2010, 09:07 PM
This was quite possibly the best win of the season for the Sox, from my perspective.

Floyd had to step up and match an outstanding rookie pitcher, and he did it. He kept us in the game. I felt like if he could match Strasburg, our bullpen could outlast Washington's bullpen. That's what happened.

We got good pitching all around and good defense. If the Sox are going to be a factor, this is the way they have to win.

Craig Grebeck
06-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Stupid title, great win, good run. Keep it going.

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Sorry. :redface: Can anyone think of something else?

voodoochile
Because he got a basehit. :) And it was the first title that came into my head. If the mods (or anyone) can think of a better one, by all means, change it.

He went the extra inning which allowed the Sox to go with their big three for only one inning apiece. The Nats were forced to use Storen a second inning and as a result they lost.

The title works for me...:D:

sox1970

Ok, I'll give that to you. I forgot about the hit. :D:

voodoochile
06-18-2010, 09:09 PM

Don't listen to the naysayers. I like your title...

soxnut1018

Floyd did give the Sox one more inning than Strasburg did (even though he was on a pitch count).

Streets

Brutal board tonight. :wink:

manders_01
Due to my piece of **** computer, I was only able to watch the top half of the first and the fourth and listen to the sixth through tenth. :angry: But I can turn my frown upside down - that's a White Sox winner baby! :cool:

I like it GoGo! :thumbsup:

JB98
06-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Why is it a stupid title? Floyd went eight and gave up only one. Strasburg went seven and gave up only one.

The two men gave up the same amount of runs, but Floyd pitched one inning deeper into the game. That makes his outing better, no?

This is WSI. It's a biased site and makes no apology for it.

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Thanks. :smile: Seems like a good time for a "Haters gonna hate" gif, but I don't have one.

DumpJerry
06-18-2010, 09:11 PM

:rolleyes: Always a critic.

It's the title I thought up. Great minds think alike!

voodoochile
Why is it a stupid title? Floyd went eight and gave up only one. Strasburg went seven and gave up only one.

The two men gave up the same amount of runs, but Floyd pitched one inning deeper into the game. That makes his outing better, no?

This is WSI. It's a biased site and makes no apology for it.

Thank you...

Rdy2PlayBall
Don't listen to the naysayers. I like your title...I'd take 8 innings 1run 5ks ANY DAY over 7 innings 1run 10ks... :rolleyes:
I like the title too. Strikeouts and making batters look stupid isn't everything you know. :cool:

RadioheadRocks
06-18-2010, 09:12 PM

I second it.

Crestani
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks. :smile: Seems like a good time for a "Haters gonna hate" gif, but I don't have one.

What the **** difference does the title matter when we won an extra inning game for only the 2nd time all year...???:scratch:

sox1970
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
How many games in a row have the Sox won against a pitcher they've never faced? That myth is being busted.

voodoochile
06-18-2010, 09:15 PM
I second it.

Actually, I think you're about 5th, but who cares. On a night when all anyone in the media wanted to talk about was Strasburg and the Sox losing was a foregone conclusion, Floyd pitched as good a game as you can ask for. I think he'd faced the minimum through 6 and again, by going 8 he allowed Thornton, Putz and Jenks to work single innings apiece while the Nats used Storen for two and it cost them.

soxfanreggie
06-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Kudos to Gavin for really stepping it up lately. I hope he is starting to hit his stride because getting Danks and Floyd on full cylinders together could strike fear in the eyes of our Central competitors and also give us a look into how great the future can be.

LITTLE NELL
06-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Great win!!! This team is believing in themselves. The starters are finally pitching like I thought they would, If TCQ and Beckham start hitting we can win this thing.

DumpJerry
06-18-2010, 09:18 PM
By the way:

Quentin08
06-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Don't stop now boys! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

I forgot how good it felt to win! Now if only Detroit would start losing..

Tragg
06-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Why is it a stupid title?

I like the title. It's accurate and a refreshing change from the puns.
Great game.

LongLiveFisk
06-18-2010, 09:23 PM
What the **** difference does the title matter when we won an extra inning game for only the 2nd time all year...???:scratch:

I was just wondering why anyone would give a crap about a thread title. Sox won, that's all that matters.

GoGoCrede
Great win!!! This team is believing in themselves. The starters are finally pitching like I thought they would, If TCQ and Beckham start hitting we can win this thing.

Beckham really hit the ball hard in the 8th (or 9th? I don't remember) and I really thought it was going to get the job done and let the runner score, but it didn't. Rough luck on that one.

BringBackBlkJack
By the way:

:gulp: Cheers to that! Only 5.5 back!

russ99
Great game. Winning cures a lot of ills.

If only we can play like this vs. AL teams...

tacosalbarojas
06-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Me too; the Great Strasburg let the pitcher get a hit for chrissakes! That moment was like the time in Rocky III when Drago got cut..."the Russian's cut, the Russian's cut!!" See he's not a machine; he's a man.

whitesox4eva
06-18-2010, 09:25 PM
LOL at the poll question results :rolleyes:

hawkjt
Great job by Gavin and the Pen...and Alex!!! Two rbis in tough situations.
And a shout out to Mark Kotsay...he is one helluva pinch hitter.

Omar/Alexi/Gordo and PK are one tight infield!

I just wish that Alex had not been shading Dunn so much to right or he would have run down that gaper...oh well...alls well:D:

Now, c'mon Jake,you gotta keep this string going.

Quentin08
Beckham really hit the ball hard in the 8th (or 9th? I don't remember) and I really thought it was going to get the job done and let the runner score, but it didn't. Rough luck on that one.

Man, I was pissed at Hawk. I thought for sure it was a hit, and I jumped off the couch when Hawk yelled "BASE HIT".

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:26 PM
LOL at the poll question results :rolleyes:

That was a hilarious poll. Who won?

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Man, I was pissed at Hawk. I thought for sure it was a hit, and I jumped off the couch when Hawk yelled "BASE HIT".

I pumped my fist into the air for nothing! Actually, I don't blame Hawk, because I thought it was a hit too.

TDog
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
This is the second 2-1 win the White Sox have picked up on the current roadtrip, of which the White Sox have won six of the first seven.

A really great game that turned into a war of bullpen attrition. The Nationals threw their phenom starter at the White Sox (who should have scored two in the first, but Konerko wasn't the first hitter Strasburg has struck out this season) followed by their best short men out of the bullpen. For the second start in a row, Floyd pitched eight strong, only giving up one run in each after having two outs in the bases empty in the bottom of the seventh. Sunday night, it cost the White Sox the win. Tonight, it forced the Sox bullpen to pitch three scoreless innings.

Rios, of course, came up with the big two-out hit. The game reminded me of how much I loved great pitchers duels where the pitchers were part of the lineup. It looked to be the tight, well-played baseball the White Sox were playing in 1972 before the A's wore them down.

Of course, the Twins didn't have to face a DH, and they were down 8-0 before the pitcher's spot in their order came up to bat. And the odd thing is that the game most probably would have been closer if Howard had hit for the cycle. But it was just nice to win an exciting tight game while the Twins were losing sloppy baseball. It doesn't always work out that way.

One more thing about Floyd worth mentioning: Going into Sunday's game, I read that he had the highest ERA among regular starters in the American League. Two starts later, his ERA is down to 5.20 while Blackburn for the Twins now has an ERA of 5.80. Floyd doesn't have any wins to show for his last two starts, but if he keeps pitching like this, the wins will come.

sox1970
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Ozzie agrees with the title. Good enough for me.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/16515015397

whitesox4eva
06-18-2010, 09:29 PM
That was a hilarious poll. Who won?

Stephen won had like 44%
Thorton was second
zumbya or w/e was third
and Mr 13-1 sub 2 ERA Ubaldo Jimenez got only 4% of the vote lol

Quentin08
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Were we 9 1/2 games out last week at this time? What a week! :gulp:

MinnySoxFan
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Stephen won had like 44%
Thorton was second
zumbya or w/e was third

Wrong.

It was Ubaldo, Stras, Thorton, and Zumb with 4%

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:32 PM

Fun facts from Merkin:

If Jenks gets the save here, White Sox are 9-2 in the last 11 and have made up four games on the Twins over that stretch.

JB98
06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Stephen won had like 44%
Thorton was second
zumbya or w/e was third

Those poll results were idiotic. I would have selected Jimenez first.

sox1970
06-18-2010, 09:33 PM

Interleague can kill you, but it can also bring you right back in. The Sox leave Minnesota one month from today. Hopefully we'll all be happy then.

TDog
06-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Great win. 5.5 out.

Floyd was better than Strasburg. Floyd pitched one more inning than Strasburg. Strasburg may have been tougher to hit, but Floyd did more to help his team win, even without the hit.

While Strasburg may have matched Floyd if he had pitched eight innings, going to the bullpen an inning earlier than the White Sox may have cost the Nationals the game.

slavko
06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
This was quite possibly the best win of the season for the Sox, from my perspective.

Floyd had to step up and match an outstanding rookie pitcher, and he did it. He kept us in the game. I felt like if he could match Strasburg, our bullpen could outlast Washington's bullpen. That's what happened.

We got good pitching all around and good defense. If the Sox are going to be a factor, this is the way they have to win.

Agreed. Most satisfying win of the year, maybe 2 years. Strassburg seems like an OK kid now, but the shower of attention will change him, most likely.

Wrong.

It was Ubaldo, Stras, Thorton, and Zumb with 4%

You, my friend, are wrong. Ubaldo had the 4%, just as the original post said. Anyone with any sense was on this board, not texting CSN.

manders_01
06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Stephen won had like 44%
Thorton was second
zumbya or w/e was third

What was the question?

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
What was the question?

Something like, "Which hard-throwing pitcher is the toughest to face?"

Red Barchetta
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
I watched the MLB Network broadcast. Great to see Floyd go toe-to-toe. My only complaint was the break in the broadcast or split screen shot of whatever Manny Ramirez was doing in Boston. Jeesh, they broke away from the SOX game only to watch him on deck getting jeered by the Bostonians. :rolleyes:

Quentin08
06-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Nice pics of the President at the game.. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jCkrfGTDbJTxpTnmL7cDDrVNiDdQD9GE2FJG0

By the way, did Comcast show him at the game? If they did, I missed it.

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Nice pics of the President at the game.. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jCkrfGTDbJTxpTnmL7cDDrVNiDdQD9GE2FJG0

No, they didn't. I only knew he was there because I read it online.

guillensdisciple
06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
As MIke "The Situation" would say: looks like we got ourselves a situation.

Well guys, it looks like our White Sox have woken up and I hope the rest of the AL Central has taken notices. 4 games made up in a span of 11 games. 5.5 games back, and the pitching has brought itself back to life. Hopefully, Peavy will be fine and can get this dead arm period out of the way. We need our full rotation in high gear and we will become one of the most lethal teams in the major leagues.

Hitting is still doing well, and is anybody thinking that Viciedo might take the full time third, have Beckham sent down and slot Vizquel to second? Might as well give it a try considering how putrid Beckham has been, and giving him some confidence down there will only help. Also, a player who is playing like Viciedo needs as much playing time as possible.

So far so good- I believe that this team can do a lot of great things this year. Lets keep it going.

manders_01
Something like, "Which hard-throwing pitcher is the toughest to face?"

And Ubaldo got 4% of the vote??? :shocked: How drunk are the people responding to the poll? Did they not see the Twins wallop on the Rockies for two games and then get almost completely shut down with him on the mound??? Holy ****!

Yes, I admittedly have quite a soft spot for Jimenez. :D:

tacosalbarojas
They did show a post game clip of him in the box with Kenny, but I don't recall seeing it during the game.

manders_01
06-18-2010, 09:45 PM

That's so sweet he took his daughters and was explaining the game to them.

cws05champ
06-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I'd take 8 innings 1run 5ks ANY DAY over 7 innings 1run 10ks... :rolleyes:
I like the title too. Strikeouts and making batters look stupid isn't everything you know. :cool:

And Floyd faced the minimum # of batters through 6 innings....he was dam good tonight. Strausberg was great but just because he had more K's, doesn't always mean better.

EDIT: Just read that the Sox have gone 6 games without a HR, and they are 5-1 in those games!!!!!

Quentin08
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM

I only knew about it because I heard Paruch mention it on the Score on the pregame show. Talk about a low key appearance!

SI1020
06-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Great win and the title is just fine by me.

PicktoCLick72
As MIke "The Situation" would say: looks like we got ourselves a situation.

Well guys, it looks like our White Sox have woken up and I hope the rest of the AL Central has taken notices. 4 games made up in a span of 11 games. 5.5 games back, and the pitching has brought itself back to life. Hopefully, Peavy will be fine and can get this dead arm period out of the way. We need our full rotation in high gear and we will become one of the most lethal teams in the major leagues.

Hitting is still doing well, and is anybody thinking that Viciedo might take the full time third, have Beckham sent down and slot Vizquel to second? Might as well give it a try considering how putrid Beckham has been, and giving him some confidence down there will only help. Also, a player who is playing like Viciedo needs as much playing time as possible.

So far so good- I believe that this team can do a lot of great things this year. Lets keep it going.

No, noone is thinking that. Omar Vizquel(at this point in his career) does not start for playoff teams. Also, how about Dayan, gets a MLB hit before we give him the starting job. Bacon is coming around. Let's not be rediculous.

Zisk77
I'd take 8 innings 1run 5ks ANY DAY over 7 innings 1run 10ks... :rolleyes:

...strikeouts are fascist. throw some ground balls, its more democratic and we are in the nations capitol, no?

Quentin08
Hitting is still doing well, and is anybody thinking that Viciedo might take the full time third, have Beckham sent down and slot Vizquel to second? Might as well give it a try considering how putrid Beckham has been, and giving him some confidence down there will only help.

Why send Beckham down now? He'll get to face a minor league team next weekend during the Crosstown series.

guillensdisciple
06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
No, noone is thinking that. Omar Vizquel(at this point in his career) does not start for playoff teams. Also, how about Dayan, gets a MLB hit before we give him the starting job. Bacon is coming around. Let's not be rediculous.

How is he doing well? 1 hit per game for the past 10 games? His average has been teetering around .200 for a couple of weeks. How is that improvement?

JB98
06-18-2010, 09:58 PM
We'd be weakening our defense significantly by putting Viciedo at third, moving Vizquel to second and sending Beckham down.

Pass. Improved defense is one of the key reasons for this 9-out-of-11 streak.

guillensdisciple
06-18-2010, 10:01 PM
We'd be weakening our defense significantly by putting Viciedo at third, moving Vizquel to second and sending Beckham down.

Pass. Improved defense is one of the key reasons for this 9-out-of-11 streak.

Ehh, can't argue that- I kind of thought that was the flaw with the idea in the first place.

doublem23
06-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Holy cow, the National League is such a joke.

konerko 14
06-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Awesome game!! 5.5 games back!

JB98
06-18-2010, 10:05 PM

Yeah, Sox are 8-2 in interleague play. Murder City is also 8-2. Tigers haven't lost since the Sox beat them a week ago Thursday.

SoxFan1979
06-18-2010, 10:14 PM
1 run win on the road, I love it!

Evman5
06-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Just got back from the game. The stadium was awesome. Caught a ball during BP. President was in the house to watch a White Sox winner. Floyd outduels Strasburg. Perfect night.

I'll be back there tomorrow and Sunday. 5.5 back!

sox1970
06-18-2010, 10:16 PM

AL leads 73-65. Not that bad for the NL. Sox have one of the easier interleague schedules this year.

PicktoCLick72
06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
How is he doing well? 1 hit per game for the past 10 games? His average has been teetering around .200 for a couple of weeks. How is that improvement?

Dayan has not played a game yet! I hope he sets the league on fire, but there is no way of knowing. If we have to send Beckham down we are in trouble.

GoGoCrede
06-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Dayan has not played a game yet! I hope he sets the league on fire, but there is no way of knowing. If we have to send Beckham down we are in trouble.

If the game went on longer, I was hoping they'd let him play tonight.

doublem23
06-18-2010, 10:26 PM

How will we ever replace our 2B hitting .200?

hawkjt
06-18-2010, 10:34 PM
The way our pitching staff is going, I want Gordo's glove out there. Alexi and Gordon are getting into a nice rythmn on the double play,and actually Gordon had 4 RBIs in Pittsburgh and tonite would have had the winning rbi hit if it had not carried so far...that was pure hemp.

How bout that play by Gordon and AJ picking off the guy at first...that was so sweeet!!

No, I do not want to mess with this lineup right now. Omar is getting key hits,and playing the best third base since Crede left...steady.
I know he cannot play everyday for too long,but Teahen will be back in a month.
As Hawk said, Omar knows how to hit second...and we have not had that for awhile.

Don't complain about a winning streak!!

tstrike2000
06-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Strasburg's obviously lived up to the hype through his first three starts, but if we can get some more starts like this from Gavin Floyd, then we can start climbing the ladder on Detoilet and the loser ass Twins. He was spotting his fastball and had a real nice sharp break on his slider.

guillensdisciple
06-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Can we start the Twins perpetual losers thing over again? I miss it.

voodoochile
06-18-2010, 10:39 PM
...strikeouts are fascist. throw some ground balls, its more democratic and we are in the nations capitol, no?

The announcers commented how the defense for the Nats was playing poorly and the first thought that came to me was, "well they don't get to practice much with Strasburg on the mound. They're probably shocked and confused every time they have to make a play."

tacosalbarojas
06-18-2010, 10:54 PM
The way our pitching staff is going, I want Gordo's glove out there. Alexi and Gordon are getting into a nice rythmn on the double play,and actually Gordon had 4 RBIs in Pittsburgh and tonite would have had the winning rbi hit if it had not carried so far...that was pure hemp.

How bout that play by Gordon and AJ picking off the guy at first...that was so sweeet!!

No, I do not want to mess with this lineup right now. Omar is getting key hits,and playing the best third base since Crede left...steady.
I know he cannot play everyday for too long,but Teahen will be back in a month.
As Hawk said, Omar knows how to hit second...and we have not had that for awhile.

Don't complain about a winning streak!!
yessir. I'm not giving up on Beckham just yet.

Dibbs
06-18-2010, 11:00 PM
I mean, I think we're pretty much back in this thing! Unfortunately, I still don't think we have a chance with that offense we trot out there.

soltrain21
06-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Cautiously optimistic.

TDog
06-18-2010, 11:48 PM
AL leads 73-65. Not that bad for the NL. Sox have one of the easier interleague schedules this year.

It's been pretty even this year. Both the Cubs and the Yankees are .500 in interleague. So are the Twins. Both the Marlins and the Rays are 4-6. The Rangers are 7-3, despite losing a series to the Cubs, and the Mets are 9-1, the only team with a better record than the White Sox. And they have played four interleague games against the Yankees so far. The A's are on an interleague roadtrip where they are 1-6 in NL cities, and their pitching, which had looked great against AL team, is getting hit hard by NL lineups featuring pitchers hitting ninth.

There isn't the big difference between the leagues that many believe there is.

ChiSox81
06-18-2010, 11:58 PM
The White Sox are rolling while the rest of the division is sliding, this is going to be a fun summer.

sox1970
06-19-2010, 12:01 AM
The White Sox are rolling while the rest of the division is sliding, this is going to be a fun summer.

Tigers have won 7 in a row. They're a half game out.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Probably the biggest win of this road trip, later today(technically) can be the 2nd biggest considering PV's arm. If he pulls through with a great outing, I will be very happy and finally excited about this rotation since the offseason. Fantastic outing by Floyd.

Stephen won had like 44%
Thorton was second
zumbya or w/e was third

Yeah that was ridiculous, my father and I were laughing about it.

ChiSox81
06-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Tigers have won 7 in a row. They're a half game out.

I guess I should have phrased that better. The tiggers will be sliding soon. Their next 3 series are on the road against NY, ATL and MIN. We should be in second by the time that road trip is over with. If we aren't it won't matter we own them. Its just a matter of time before we pass them.

Domeshot17
06-19-2010, 12:11 AM
A win is a win, a bit lucky, but it counts the same as a 20-2 beat down. Sox are doing what they had to do, take advantage of an incredibly weak spot in the schedule. I still fear that unless we add a bat, we are going to be exposed again in the AL, but we can worry about that when the time comes I suppose.

october23sp
06-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Such a satisfying day. So happy we got a win.

fox23
06-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Me too; the Great Strasburg let the pitcher get a hit for chrissakes! That moment was like the time in Rocky III when Drago got cut..."the Russian's cut, the Russian's cut!!" See he's not a machine; he's a man.

That's Rocky IV, Rocky III was with Mr. T.

october23sp
06-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Floyd getting a hit off Strasburg might be this season's "moment."

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Floyd getting a hit off Strasburg might be this season's "moment."I loved that. I'm sure that he let the other guys hear about it, too.

SluggersAway
06-19-2010, 12:31 AM
I just saw a "recap" of the game on ESPNEWS that was totally misleading. No mention of Floyd's great performance, no mention that Pierre and Vizquel got hits off Strasberg in the first to put the Sox up 1-0.

It was all clips of Strasberg k's and then the game winning hit in the 11th.

Pathetic.

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I feel bad for Floyd. Two stellar outings in a row and nothing to help that 2-7 mark. At least the Sox got the win this time, though:gulp:

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 12:40 AM
In fact, in a game like this they should really award the win to Floyd. He essentially won the game for the Sox and the bullpen nailed it down.

RadioheadRocks
06-19-2010, 12:40 AM
I just saw a "recap" of the game on ESPNEWS that was totally misleading. No mention of Floyd's great performance, no mention that Pierre and Vizquel got hits off Strasberg in the first to put the Sox up 1-0.

Pathetic.

Repeat after me...

Eastern
Seaboard
Propaganda
Network

doublem23
06-19-2010, 12:42 AM

Pathetic.

Nationally, Strasburg is a bigger story than our little sub-.500 team. If we really climb back in this thing and are still getting dissed, you can complain.

Boondock Saint
06-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Nationally, Strasburg is a bigger story than our little sub-.500 team. If we really climb back in this thing and are still getting dissed, you can complain.

That was my first thought, too. People all across the country wanted to see Strasburg throw the ball. They gave them that, Dunn's double, and the deciding run. That's pretty standard stuff for any sports recap show.

october23sp
06-19-2010, 01:56 AM

So show why he picked up the ND. Floyd kicked kicked the **** out of the Nats as well. Oh, yeah Floyd got a hit off of Stevie S.

TDog
06-19-2010, 02:21 AM

Strasburg is a bigger story because national baseball stories are produced to appeal to the lowest common denominator, many of whom don't understand baseball. Strikeout are sexy. It is true that going into a game, a pitcher who strikes out more hitters will have fewer balls hit into play and will have to depend less on hes defense. But after the fact, if a team gets beat, it doesn't matter how many strikeouts he picked up. Tonight a major reason the White Sox beat the Nationals was that the Nationals needed one more inning out of their bullpen.

Tonight, Strasburg pitched a great game, but Floyd outpitched him, regardless of the strikeouts. That wasn't a populist story, but it was a major story from the game.

Bob Feller, Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson and even Kerry Wood had big strikeout games, but they were more impressive because they stayed around to finish them. When Tom Seaver had his 19-strikeout game in 1970, he struckout the last 10 hitters he faced. After he got Cito Gaston to fly out for the second out in the sixth, he struck out everyone else the Padres sent up to the plate to preserve his 2-1 lead.

Tonight Strasburg struck out 10 before he came out of the game, apparently having pitched as many pitches as is considered safe for him to pitch. It makes for a great story, a rookie getting so many strikeouts so soon in his career (although Bob Feller was about six weeks short of his 18th birthday when he struck out 17 A's in his fifth major league start).

Maybe if Strasburg got more groundouts, he wouldn't have to come out of games so soon and would be a better pitcher.

But he wouldn't be such a great story.

Domeshot17
06-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Strasburg is a bigger story because national baseball stories are produced to appeal to the lowest common denominator, many of whom don't understand baseball. Strikeout are sexy. It is true that going into a game, a pitcher who strikes out more hitters will have fewer balls hit into play and will have to depend less on hes defense. But after the fact, if a team gets beat, it doesn't matter how many strikeouts he picked up. Tonight a major reason the White Sox beat the Nationals was that the Nationals needed one more inning out of their bullpen.

Tonight, Strasburg pitched a great game, but Floyd outpitched him, regardless of the strikeouts. That wasn't a populist story, but it was a major story from the game.

Bob Feller, Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson and even Kerry Wood had big strikeout games, but they were more impressive because they stayed around to finish them. When Tom Seaver had his 19-strikeout game in 1970, he struckout the last 10 hitters he faced. After he got Cito Gaston to fly out for the second out in the sixth, he struck out everyone else the Padres sent up to the plate to preserve his 2-1 lead.

Tonight Strasburg struck out 10 before he came out of the game, apparently having pitched as many pitches as is considered safe for him to pitch. It makes for a great story, a rookie getting so many strikeouts so soon in his career (although Bob Feller was about six weeks short of his 18th birthday when he struck out 17 A's in his fifth major league start).

Maybe if Strasburg got more groundouts, he wouldn't have to come out of games so soon and would be a better pitcher.

Did we watch the same game? Number 1, Strasburg was far more dominating. Gavin threw 25 more P with 5 less K's. Strasburg only had like 85 pitches through 7. If they were not building his arm, he would have been set for the 8th inning. Gavin did what he had to do, he pitched great. To say he out pitched Strasburg, thats a bit of a stretch.

I mean, you actually just said maybe if he wasn't as good as he was, maybe he would be better? He did not walk anyone. He threw 85 pitches and something like 59 or 60 were for strikes.

This wasn't an AJ Burnett 10 strike out game. This was the Nationals being smart. Also, the National did not lose because they needed 1 more inning out of the pen, they lost because Ryan Zimmerman over threw this already huge first baseman.

I am all for commending Gavin, he went toe to toe with Strasburg and kept us in the game. But give credit where it is due. At the pace Strasburg was throwing, he could have thrown all 9 innings at less pitches then Gavin threw in 8. Strasburg is living up to the hype, he is probably already one of the 5 best pitchers in the game, The kid is showing potential like we haven't seen in a long time and he has put life back into a pathetic and dead franchise. Get used to hearing his name.

Boondock Saint
06-19-2010, 02:58 AM
Did we watch the same game? Number 1, Strasburg was far more dominating. Gavin threw 25 more P with 5 less K's. Strasburg only had like 85 pitches through 7. If they were not building his arm, he would have been set for the 8th inning. Gavin did what he had to do, he pitched great. To say he out pitched Strasburg, thats a bit of a stretch.

I mean, you actually just said maybe if he wasn't as good as he was, maybe he would be better? He did not walk anyone. He threw 85 pitches and something like 59 or 60 were for strikes.

This wasn't an AJ Burnett 10 strike out game. This was the Nationals being smart. Also, the National did not lose because they needed 1 more inning out of the pen, they lost because Ryan Zimmerman over threw this already huge first baseman.

I am all for commending Gavin, he went toe to toe with Strasburg and kept us in the game. But give credit where it is due. At the pace Strasburg was throwing, he could have thrown all 9 innings at less pitches then Gavin threw in 8. Strasburg is living up to the hype, he is probably already one of the 5 best pitchers in the game, The kid is showing potential like we haven't seen in a long time and he has put life back into a pathetic and dead franchise. Get used to hearing his name.

I agree with all of this except for the part about him being one of the top 5 pitchers in MLB right now. He's been very good so far, but you have to take into account that it's been against the Pirates, Indians and Sox (all in the bottom 1/4 of MLB in batting average). If he can go into his next few starts against KC, Atlanta and the Mets (all in the top 1/2 of MLB in batting average) and show the same kind of success, then there might be some merit to that comment. But so far, he's only beaten subpar offenses.

LongLiveFisk
06-19-2010, 03:56 AM
Repeat after me...

Eastern
Seaboard
Propaganda
Network

Yeah but I thought that just applied to New York and Boston.

Madscout
06-19-2010, 04:08 AM
This makes 10 quality starts in a row for Sox pitching, going back to MB's 6 ER against Cleveland at home last week. Keep it up boys!

soxinem1
06-19-2010, 06:22 AM

How about:

'I'd be Ryan If I Didn't Say I was Smilin' White Sox vs WAS 6/18 Postgame Thread?

Risk
06-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Great game last night! Floyd looks like he has finally turned the corner and if he keeps pitching like the last few outings it will translate into more wins.

Win tonight and make it a five game winning streak.:gulp:

Risk

SOXSINCE'70
06-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Holy ****, can we get to .500 by the time we get home?!

To paraphrase an Elvis Presley song title,"If I Can Dream".:praying:
He sang it in his 1968 comeback TV special.He hadn't appeared live
(or on TV) for about 8 years, at the time.

soxinem1
06-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Great game last night! Floyd looks like he has finally turned the corner and if he keeps pitching like the last few outings it will translate into more wins.

Win tonight and make it a five game winning streak.:gulp:

Risk

Hard to believe we'd have said that a little more than a week ago when this team was about to go ten games under .500.

SOXSINCE'70
06-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Repeat after me...

Eastern
Seaboard
Propaganda
Network

I thought it stood for

Employ
Stupid
People
Network

SOXSINCE'70
06-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Which Jake Peavy shows up today?
The one who shut down the sCrUBS last Friday,
or the one without his "explosive slider"?
If it's option 1,the Sox are in good shape.
If it's option 2, then it's what Terry Boers
refers to as "uh-oh time".

TommyJohn
06-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Don't apologize. You were excited over the win. Big deal. Don't let the sneers of the intellectually superior bother you.

october23sp
06-19-2010, 09:34 AM
As for the thread title, we got the win, I'd say that makes us > them.

By the way, I'll be going to my lake cabin for the weekend so if Peavy does well or poor don't expect that I'm hiding.:redneck

Be back on Sunday! Go Sox.

palehozenychicty
06-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Was at the game last night. Kind of a bland stadium, but I did like the outfield concourse leading to the metro. The sight lines are pretty solid too from most levels. Strasburg was unreal, but the team persevered and got a win. It may be the most important one of the season so far. Time will tell.

tstrike2000
06-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I thought it stood for

Employ
Stupid
People
Network

Any of the above are applicable to that network.

hawkjt
06-19-2010, 09:53 AM
What does worry me a bit is Jake's shoulder and the possibility of a short outing today,which will put our bullpen at risk after last nites extra inning effort. We have Santos,Pena,Linebrink and Williams fresh...c'mon offense...we need 6+ runs today!!

Jurr
06-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Mark this game (as well as the sweeper in Pittsburgh) as games in the "other 42" category that the Sox have won. In those tough games where a goofy play here or there can make the difference, the Sox are showing more poise. They for once aren't the team making the big mistake. Looking good.

TDog
06-19-2010, 11:28 AM

After the game, dominating is irrelevant unless you're scouting for the possibility of facing a pitcher for the future.

Floyd pitched more innings than Strasburg, giving up as many runs and as many hits. Floyd outpitched Strasburg.

If a pitcher pitches a perfect game and strikes out no one, he outpitches a pitcher who strikes out 20 and gives up a run. This is baseball, not figure skating, gymnastics, diving or a silly slam dunk competition. This is baseball. It's not about style points.

Strasburg may be living up to the hype. And if he could go out and pitch nine innings, he would be one of the top five starters in the game.

BadBobbyJenks
06-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Repeat after me...

Eastern
Seaboard
Propaganda
Network

Those Nationals have been getting special treatment by ESPN for years!

Honestly, if you were not a White Sox fan and tuning into the highlights what do you think you were looking for? Strasburg's results. That's it.

Domeshot17
06-19-2010, 11:43 AM
After the game, dominating is irrelevant unless you're scouting for the possibility of facing a pitcher for the future.

Floyd pitched more innings than Strasburg, giving up as many runs and as many hits. Floyd outpitched Strasburg.

If a pitcher pitches a perfect game and strikes out no one, he outpitches a pitcher who strikes out 20 and gives up a run. This is baseball, not figure skating, gymnastics, diving or a silly slam dunk competition. This is baseball. It's not about style points.

Strasburg may be living up to the hype. And if he could go out and pitch nine innings, he would be one of the top five starters in the game.

Again, we realize, in terms of how efficiently he pitched, he out did Gavin. I mean,it really doesn't matter at all, we won. But Strasburg was better in almost every aspect on the mound, can't punish him for being treated with Kid gloves this early in his career.

Like I said before the game, The Sox approach was right. Tread water and make it a bullpen game. Gavin did his job for that. But you have to be pretty biased to think Gavin out dueled Strasburg, at best, both walked away with a ND, you could call it a Draw

BadBobbyJenks
06-19-2010, 11:47 AM

If Strasburg was not on a pitch count, he and Floyd would have both pitched 8 innings. Strasburg is better than Floyd, it is ok to admit this.

harwar
06-19-2010, 11:49 AM
i thought that Gavin had a better breaking pitch than Strasburg last night and he had excellent command of it .. but that changeup Strasburg was dealing was the best i've seen in awhile .. i've seen Strasburg pitch twice before and it was mostly fastballs with that deadly curveball .. i picked Gavin to win 20 games before the season started because i think he's something special .. we are now seeing that guy and i'm excited by how the entire pitching staff has performed lately

Hitmen77
06-19-2010, 11:58 AM
If Strasburg was not on a pitch count, he and Floyd would have both pitched 8 innings. Strasburg is better than Floyd, it is ok to admit this.

Who said he isn't? :scratch:

People can say that Floyd pitched a hell of a game yesterday and deserves kudos for helping this team to a win when facing an outstanding pitcher without saying that "he's a better pitcher than Strasburg".

TDog
06-19-2010, 12:22 PM

While you're at it, why not suggest that if Floyd hadn't given up a double to Dunn with two out in the seventh last night he would have pitched a shutout, or that if he hadn't given up a double in the seventh Sunday night he may have taken a no-hitter into the ninth against the Cubs.

Strasburg was on a pitch count. That limits how well he can pitch. Either that limits his ability to be a better pitcher or it limits his exposure late in innings where he may have been a weaker pitcher. Assuming Strasburg would have pitched a scoreless eighth, and some are even giving him credit for doing so, is like saying he was at least as good as Tom Seaver the night Seaver struck out 19 Padres, including the last 10 he faced, because Strasburg struck out the last seven Pirates and would have struck out the next six if he hadn't come out after seven.

Strasburg isn't totally living up to his hype. He isn't pitching no-hitters. He isn't pitching shutouts. He is only showing off his potential to justify the hype, although he has been scored upon in every career start, and his first four starts at least will come against teams with losing records.

I'm not arguing that Floyd is better than Strasburg, although Floyd has a better ERA in the game they went head-to-head. A week ago, no regular AL starter had a higher ERA than Floyd. Right handed hitters were hitting over .300 against him. Now Floyd has a better ERA than Strasburg over their last two starts. But I'm not arguing Floyd is a better pitcher. I wouldn't argue that Harvey Haddix was a better pitcher than Lew Burdette based on one May night in 1959.

I would enthusiastically take Strasburg over Floyd in the White Sox starting rotation. But last night, Floyd outpitched Strasburg.

BadBobbyJenks
06-19-2010, 12:40 PM
While you're at it, why not suggest that if Floyd hadn't given up a double to Dunn with two out in the seventh last night he would have pitched a shutout, or that if he hadn't given up a double in the seventh Sunday night he may have taken a no-hitter into the ninth against the Cubs.

Lol.

doublem23
06-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Oh god :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with taking a conservative approach with your phenom pitcher. The Nats must know that there's no way they're competing for anything this year and that 2010 is all about getting Strasburg innings in, teaching him how to pitch in the Majors, and building his arm. Making your 21-year-old rookie phenom throw 130 pitches just because BACK IN THE 40S PITCHERS USED TO GO ALL THE WAY is moron logic. Burn the kid's arm out now, when the team is still mediocre. AWESOME PLAN.

October26
06-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Happy to see Gavin (& bullpen including Bobby) pitch so well last night; And I was thrilled to see the Sox get the win! :bliss:keep it going today boys!

Rdy2PlayBall
06-19-2010, 01:49 PM
:threadsucks
can we move on please?

Frankfan4life
06-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Love the thread title. The only reason I'm posting is to give Floyd credit for pitching one heck of a good game. He went head-to-head with one of the best pitchers in the game and showed that he also has the potential of being a great pitcher.

Great job Gavin!!!

TDog
06-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Oh god :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with taking a conservative approach with your phenom pitcher. The Nats must know that there's no way they're competing for anything this year and that 2010 is all about getting Strasburg innings in, teaching him how to pitch in the Majors, and building his arm. Making your 21-year-old rookie phenom throw 130 pitches just because BACK IN THE 40S PITCHERS USED TO GO ALL THE WAY is moron logic. Burn the kid's arm out now, when the team is still mediocre. AWESOME PLAN.

And if a pitcher only goes six or seven innings, you give him less chance to fail so you keep your hype alive. There is nothing wrong with taking Strasburg out of the game after seven if you aren't interested in winning the game.

The Nationals can coddle him and keep him out of pressure situations. It does sound like an awesome plan. Strasburg doesn't actually have to live up to the hype. He doesn't have to face hitters three times in a game. He doesn't actually have to be one of the best five starters in the National League to be considered one of the best five pitchers in the National League. It's a great marketing strategy even if it doesn't advance his development.

The way the Nationals are using Strasburg presents an effective gameplan to beat the Nationals when he starts, and it didn't work for the Indians and Pirates because they didn't get strong outings from their starting pitchers as the White Sox did.

There is nothing wrong with taking a conservative approach with your young talented pitcher if you aren't concerned with winning on the days he starts.

Read the game thread. Very early, before the game started, I wrote that the White Sox had a chance if Floyd pitched well because Strasburg was on a pitch count and in a National League park, he might have to come out for a pinch hitter.

As it turned out, the White Sox won the way I thought they could because Floyd outpitched Strasburg, pitching more innings while giving up the same number of runs.

As it turned out, I nailed it.

Domeshot17
06-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Love the thread title. The only reason I'm posting is to give Floyd credit for pitching one heck of a good game. He went head-to-head with one of the best pitchers in the game and showed that he also has the potential of being a great pitcher.

Great job Gavin!!!

This is said perfect. Gavin pitched a fantastic game, he went head to head with one of the best we will see all year, and he did not lose.

Craig Grebeck
06-19-2010, 02:44 PM
And if a pitcher only goes six or seven innings, you give him less chance to fail so you keep your hype alive. There is nothing wrong with taking Strasburg out of the game after seven if you aren't interested in winning the game.

The Nationals can coddle him and keep him out of pressure situations. It does sound like an awesome plan. Strasburg doesn't actually have to live up to the hype. He doesn't have to face hitters three times in a game. He doesn't actually have to be one of the best five starters in the National League to be considered one of the best five pitchers in the National League. It's a great marketing strategy even if it doesn't advance his development.

The way the Nationals are using Strasburg presents an effective gameplan to beat the Nationals when he starts, and it didn't work for the Indians and Pirates because they didn't get strong outings from their starting pitchers as the White Sox did.

There is nothing wrong with taking a conservative approach with your young talented pitcher if you aren't concerned with winning on the days he starts.

Read the game thread. Very early, before the game started, I wrote that the White Sox had a chance if Floyd pitched well because Strasburg was on a pitch count and in a National League park, he might have to come out for a pinch hitter.

As it turned out, the White Sox won the way I thought they could because Floyd outpitched Strasburg, pitching more innings while giving up the same number of runs.

As it turned out, I nailed it.
Humble, as always.

Still think Kotsay's a better hitter than Swisher in 2010? Didn't nail that one.

voodoochile
06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Humble, as always.

Still think Kotsay's a better hitter than Swisher in 2010? Didn't nail that one.

I think there's a pot and kettle analogy in there somewhere...

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 09:26 PM

This post is just screaming for a response which would get me a rip. Have I learned my lesson? Apparently.

voodoochile
06-19-2010, 09:52 PM
This post is just screaming for a response which would get me a rip. Have I learned my lesson? Apparently.

Pssst... It's a quote from Bull Durham...

TheVulture
06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Pssst... It's a quote from Bull Durham...

I know, but I have the uncanny knack of going off on political tangents based on just about anything. Put three key words in a single sentence, it's hard to resist. BTW, any word on the status of wsiforums?

voodoochile
06-19-2010, 09:58 PM
I know, but I have the uncanny knack of going off on political tangents based on just about anything. Put three key words in a single sentence, it's hard to resist. BTW, any word on the status of wsiforums?

I'd imagine at least another couple weeks. West and Michelle are on vacation.

ChiSoxGirl
06-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Yesterday was day 3 of ChiSoxGirl being out of town and the Sox got to 3-0. Just sayin'! :bandance:

Konerko05
06-20-2010, 05:17 AM
I really hope everyone can admit, Strasburg has ten times the talent Floyd does. I'm 99% sure, he will have a better career, but I'm not going to annoint it yet.

The point is, what White Sox fan is acually going to argue about how Strasburg pitched better than Floyd, on a White Sox website, when Floyd actually did absolutely dominate, went one extra inning, and was on the victorious side?

We know Strasburg's stuff was what garnered all the attention, but I give Floyd so much respect for going on that stage and battling Strasburg inning for inning. All he had to do was match him, and let the bullpens go to work. He answered the request. Let White Sox fans be happy while actually acknowedging a fact: Strasburg could've went three more innnings, but he didn't.

Sox win.

Floyd was better. :wink: