PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Sox=2005 Indians?

DumpJerry
06-18-2010, 12:52 AM
The Sox won 8 of their last 10. If they keep this up, they could resemble the 2005 Indians who stunk up MLB until that torrid seven week run in August-September that only the Sox could hold off.

The main difference is that this is only June and we're not 15 games out.....

SBSoxFan
06-18-2010, 12:54 AM
I think those are two pretty big differences. Lot's of teams start out poorly and turn it around. That's why the baseball season really is a marathon.

LoveYourSuit
06-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Although that young talent the Indians had that year amounted to nothing, there was huge hopes for the future with that squad.

This Sox team is pretty old compared to that Indians team.

soxinem1
06-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Do you mean get as hot as a firecracker like CLE did that year and fall short in the end for two playoff slots?:smile:

Seriously, the 2005 Indians were one of the best offensive teams in baseball, which we will not be. They played everyone well except us (at least record-wise) and had the best ERA in the AL.

We will do none of these things except maybe be in the top five in HR and SB.

However if we find a way to get over .500 by the break, who knows what the last half holds in store?

mcfish
06-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Are there a lot more interleague games this season that I'm not aware of?

october23sp
06-18-2010, 02:52 AM
I'm hoping for this as well, like I have said, if our SP keeps it up we will be right on the heels of the Twins who are overrated.

Jurr
06-18-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm hoping for this as well, like I have said, if our SP keeps it up we will be right on the heels of the Twins who are overrated.

Well, they are 10 games over .500 right now. Not exactly terrible.

Hitmen77
06-18-2010, 08:40 AM
The Sox won 8 of their last 10. If they keep this up, they could resemble the 2005 Indians who stunk up MLB until that torrid seven week run in August-September that only the Sox could hold off.

The way the Sox have been playing the last week or so, I think they could make a run at the National League pennant.

BadBobbyJenks
06-18-2010, 08:47 AM
What?

Boondock Saint
06-18-2010, 09:12 AM
The way the Sox have been playing the last week or so, I think they could make a run at the National League pennant.

Post of the week. :thumbsup:

DumpJerry
06-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm contemplating writing a letter to Bud asking him if the Sox could be re-aligned to the NL. We'd be in the World Series every year!

tstrike2000
06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
We'd all like to agree with you Dump, but we need to play this way against teams in our own division instead of two bad NL teams.

rdivaldi
06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
History is full of teams that were able to turn it around after disastrous starts. To give up on the season is like turning your back on the history of baseball.

DumpJerry
06-18-2010, 09:52 AM
We'd all like to agree with you Dump, but we need to play this way against teams in our own division instead of two bad NL teams.
:lynch&mcfail
Hey, that guy said us and the Pirates are bad teams. We're God's Team and the Pirates have been kicking our butts, so they are greater than God's Team. Stupid White Sox fans, they never know what they're talking about....

mantis1212
06-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Do you mean get as hot as a firecracker like CLE did that year and fall short in the end for two playoff slots?:smile:

That would sure as hell be more interesting than floating around 8 games under throughout August and September, even if we do fall short!

The Sox have been .500 against teams over .500 in the AL, just crapping their pants against bad teams. Well, they seem to be doing a little better against bad teams now...

TheOldRoman
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
The turning point in the Indians' season was the firing of their hitting coach. I hope the Sox are very much like the 2005 Indians.

Moses_Scurry
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I hope so. It would be nice to see the Sox come back to pass a fading team instead of the other way around for a change.

areilly
06-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Are there a lot more interleague games this season that I'm not aware of?

A little-known MLB rule says that if we all think really happy thoughts and believe in the power of baseball, the Sox can forego their existing schedule to play the Pirates every day for the rest of the year.

areilly
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
History is full of teams that were able to turn it around after disastrous starts. To give up on the season is like turning your back on the history of baseball.

History is also full of poorly-assembled teams that punctuated a lost season with winnings streaks built upon soft parts of their schedule.

DumpJerry
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
A little-known MLB rule says that if we all think really happy thoughts and believe in the power of baseball, the Sox can forego their existing schedule to play the Pirates every day for the rest of the year.
We also would get 10 game series against the Orioles.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
We are in the easiest part of our schedule. The Cubs suck as bad or worse than us. I am fully enjoying this winning streak, but I've seen our upcoming schedule. The west coast has not been good to the Sox. I'm very cautiously optmistic about the next three weeks.

sox1970
06-18-2010, 12:09 PM
We are in the easiest part of our schedule. The Cubs suck as bad or worse than us. I am fully enjoying this winning streak, but I've seen our upcoming schedule. The west coast has not been good to the Sox. I'm very cautiously optmistic about the next three weeks.

That's how I'm looking at interleague play. Sure, it would be nice to knock a few games off the Twins lead, but the Sox still have to prove they can beat AL teams. If they can get over .500 by the break, and then go up to Minnesota and win 3 of 4, then it's on. Hopefully they leave Minnesota within 3 in the loss column.

Dan H
06-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't like making comparisons to any other teams or years. If the Sox reach .500 and stay there for a few days, I will allow myself to hope. Also the White Sox are chasing two teams, not one. Not to mention that the Braves are coming up. Also the Cubs who stink but still can give the White Sox fits. And the Nationals are not the Nationals of old. The next week will say a lot.

Whitesox029
06-18-2010, 01:14 PM

I'd rather resemble the 2005 Astros who were 27-38 heading into action on June 18, you know...because they ended up not choking. (Actually, I would rather resemble the 2005 White Sox, but that ship has sailed.)
The 2005 Astros didn't reach .500 until July 9, and were still at .500 as late as July 19. They overtook the Wildcard lead on July 28 and never really looked back.
Also interesting to note is that the 2005 Twins had exactly the same record as the 2010 Twins on this date, 38-28. The difference is that the 2005 Twins were 6.5 games behind the Sox.

PalehosePlanet
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Agreed. After all, a pipe dream is better than no dream at all.