PDA

View Full Version : 06/17 is a must win - *NOT THE GAME THREAD*...

pythons007
06-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Alright, the Twins lost today and the Tigers won. Today is a must win for the Sox. They've won the first 2 games of this series and now need to finish it off, to say with the Tigers and gain a game against the Twins. Buehrle doesn't have to be perfect, but he needs to be Buehrle.

Let's get a win here boys! Keep this train moving!

october23sp
06-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Must win isn't right, we have won the series which is pretty big, if we do win it will help us out greatly though.

Slappy
06-17-2010, 04:09 PM
The Twins couldn't handle Ubaldo.

Mark needs to keep McCutchen and Tabata from running. After seeing Danks, will the Pirates have a better idea what to do with another lefty?

Who am I kidding, it's the Pirates.

WhiteSox5187
06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Until the Sox get over .500 we shouldn't be following the Twins. The Sox should just take it a game at a time at this point. I know that's a cliche, but I think it's the best thing to do.

october23sp
06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Until the Sox get over .500 we shouldn't be following the Twins. The Sox should just take it a game at a time at this point. I know that's a cliche, but I think it's the best thing to do.

That's exactly how I feel, the only thing I see is that we are 4 GB of .500.

TheOldRoman
06-17-2010, 04:23 PM
There are no "must win" games in the middle of June. The Sox could lose this game and win the next 10 or win this game and lose the next 10, or of course anything in between. There is a whole lot of season left.

Rohan
06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Let's just win the dang ball game. I've been loving the last week and a half. I hope they keep it up. Quentin, Beckham, and Alexei have all started to hit a little bit. Omar and AJ are both swinging the bat a bit better. Rios, Konerko, and Pierre are keeping it real.

:gosox:

LoveYourSuit
06-17-2010, 04:37 PM
There are no "must win" games in the middle of June. The Sox could lose this game and win the next 10 or win this game and lose the next 10, or of course anything in between. There is a whole lot of season left.

Same way games in April don't count.

Right :rolleyes:

It's getting late. YOU HAVE TO SWEEP **** TEAMS LIKE THE PIRATES!

TDog
06-17-2010, 04:50 PM

Mark needs to keep McCutchen and Tabata from running. After seeing Danks, will the Pirates have a better idea what to do with another lefty?

The Pirates handled the Cubs pretty well this season, and coming into today's game, the Cubs are a .500 team against American League teams, despite losing two of three against the White Sox at home, and their non-White Sox AL opponents have better records than the White Sox. And the Cubs could take a winning record over the AL today.

The Twins have not swept a series against an NL team this season, going 5-4, all at home against the Brewers, Braves and Rockies. They easilly could have lost two of the games they won, but one of the games they lost came after a successful ninth-inning suicide squeeze by the Braves. Three of the nine games could have gone either way. The Twins now hit the road to play the Phillies, Brewers and Mets without a designated hitter.

The Phillies have not been a good team against the AL this season, They are 3-5, having only played the Red Sox and Yankees. The Mets have been a very good team against the AL this season, going 6-1, but they have had an easier schedule than the Phillies, playing the Orioles and Indians after winning two of three from the Yankees.

It isn't like the National League is a minor league that can't compete with the American League. The NL has been very competitive this year. People who post here generally don't believe that or want to hear it.

If the Pirates get good pitching, they can be a competitive team. That is pretty much true everywhere in major league baseball.

Still, the Pirates have not been playing very good baseball at all, and the Sox need to take advantage of that tonight. The Nationals shouldl be a tougher opponent. It isn't a must-win. Such cliches do not apply in June. Their proverbial backs are not up against the proverbial wall. This isn't even a must-win in a spiritual sense where a loss would mean blowing up the team and condemn White Sox fans to years without hope.

But the White Sox do need a win tonight.

Slappy
06-17-2010, 04:58 PM
So what you're saying is.... What are you saying??

The Pirates are awful. This is not disputable, if that's what you're trying to say.

You keep being happy with winning series' and hoping the Twins face Ubaldo every night, and I'll be expecting the Sox sweep a team as incompetent as the Pirates when we're 4 games below .500 closing in on July.

hi im skot
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
No it's not.

TheOldRoman
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Same way games in April don't count.

Right :rolleyes:

It's getting late. YOU HAVE TO SWEEP **** TEAMS LIKE THE PIRATES!First off, nobody has ever said the games in April don't count. Ever. You might be remembering people chastising you for panicing and declaring the season a failure because the team was under .500 two weeks into the season, but nobody ever said the games didn't count.

I am not saying the Sox should lose to the Pirates. The Pirates are a really bad team, and they should beat them. "Must win" implies the season is over if the game is lost. There are no must win games in the middle of June. The outcome of this game has no bearing whatsoever on what the Sox do this weekend, next week, or in the remaining 97 games. And while you would like to sweep the Pirates (especially after crapping the bed against the Indians), if the Sox were to win 2 out of every 3 games after losing this "must win" game tonight, they would end up with 95 wins. I am not saying the Sox will win 2/3 of their remaining games, I am saying it is flat out ridiculous to claim this game is a must win.

Slappy
06-17-2010, 05:15 PM
No it's not.

What is your idea of a must-win this season?

kufram
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I hope the team is not scoreboard watching or planning their record in advance. It is not good to make tonight a must win because the Twins lost. Nor is it a good idea to devalue a win because it is against the Pirates, or for that matter to take it for granted because it is against an NL team. This is mlb. Any team can be the best team in the league for a night or a week. We need this game like we need every win at the moment, no more no less... don't care what the Twins do. It is not inconvenient that they lost, tho.

TDog
06-17-2010, 05:25 PM
So what you're saying is.... What are you saying??

The Pirates are awful. This is not disputable, if that's what you're trying to say.

You keep being happy with winning series' and hoping the Twins face Ubaldo every night, and I'll be expecting the Sox sweep a team as incompetent as the Pirates when we're 4 games below .500 closing in on July.

The Pirates are a bad, inconsistent baseball team who sometimes win. Sometimes they can be tough to beat. This isn't college football with a Division 1 powerhouse playing a Division 3 school. Even the 1970 White Sox came from behind with an 11-run ninth to beat the Red Sox in Fenway one August night.

Every major league team will win games occasionally. The really bad ones lose a lot of games by one run. The White Sox need to win tonight, but the game won't make or break the season.

Slappy
06-17-2010, 05:29 PM
The Pirates are a bad, inconsistent baseball team who sometimes win. Sometimes they can be tough to beat. This isn't college football with a Division 1 powerhouse playing a Division 3 school. Even the 1970 White Sox came from behind with an 11-run ninth to beat the Red Sox in Fenway one August night.

Every major league team will win games occasionally. The really bad ones lose a lot of games by one run. The White Sox need to win tonight, but the game won't make or break the season.

Is there any way to know that it wont though? What if we miss the playoffs by 1 game?

Some people here love to resort to semantic crutches when debating because that way you don't have to be held accountable for what you type.

When the Sox are in the position they are in the division, games like these are 'must win.' It's just that simple.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Alright, the Twins lost today and the Tigers won. Today is a must win for the Sox. They've won the first 2 games of this series and now need to finish it off, to say with the Tigers and gain a game against the Twins. Buehrle doesn't have to be perfect, but he needs to be Buehrle.

Let's get a win here boys! Keep this train moving!

Why must win? So we are 9 not 10 out? Okay.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Is there any way to know that it wont though? What if we miss the playoffs by 1 game?

Some people here love to resort to semantic crutches when debating because that way you don't have to be held accountable for what you type.

When the Sox are in the position they are in the division, games like these are 'must win.' It's just that simple.

Well ya, you kinda wanna win every game you play.

kufram
06-17-2010, 05:42 PM
What matters is how many wins the team gets over the course of the season. Must win means exactly that to me... the team HAS to win this game. They don't. If they lose tonight (hope not) but go on to win the next few series this loss will go in the books just like every other loss. I'll take a string of series wins every time.

DumpJerry
06-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Speaking of McCutchen, when will the Cubs call him up, I mean trade for him?

JermaineDye05
06-17-2010, 05:45 PM
We don't seem to do well in "Must Win" games. Almost every Indians game has been a "Must Win" and :(:

TDog
06-17-2010, 05:57 PM

In 1978, the Yankees and Red Sox tied for first in the AL East. I hated the Yankees, wanted to see the Red Sox win and realized that if the White Sox in the second game of the 1978 season hadn't come from four runs down in the eighth to beat the Red Sox after they took out their starter Dennis Eckersley, Bucky Dent wouldn't have had a chance to hit a home run to win the division for them.

That cold Saturday afternoon when Carl Yastrzemski said he dropped a Jorge Orta fly ball because his "glove froze" was a must win game. They should have had Eckersley come out to pitch the eighth because the stakes were so high. Red Sox manager Don Zimmer just didn't know it yet.

It's a long season. Tonight's Pirates game isn't a must-win game for the White Sox any more than any other game is.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-17-2010, 05:59 PM
It's a long season. Tonight's Pirates game isn't a must-win game for the White Sox any more than any other game is.

EXACTLY. Every game has a meaning to it...

balke
06-17-2010, 06:05 PM
I expect this game to be more about defense. Help Mark out - don't be like Pittsburgh last night - no errors.

Milw
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Can the White Sox make the playoffs if they lose tonight? Yes.

Do their odds of making the playoffs change substantially one way or the other depending on the outcome of tonight's game? No.

It's therefore not a "must win." Sorry.

JB98
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Must win? Nope. Not by any definition.

But if the Sox lose, it will be a missed opportunity.

pudge
06-17-2010, 06:59 PM
First off, nobody has ever said the games in April don't count. Ever.

They may not have said it directly, but there are a lot of people who feel strongly that April is pretty much a throw-away month. I've sat next to people like that at baseball games and discussed such. Everyone has a different philosophy. Using the term "must win" is silly, but the concept behind this thread is absolutely correct. This team must start showing it can sweep, it can generate win streaks, it can play consistently good baseball. And at the very least do so against crappy teams. So far they have shown little to none of that, which makes them a continued long shot to get back into this. Kenny Williams really wanted 5-1 on this trip, even though he was okay with 4-2 - but if they are to go 5-1, they probably need to win tonight.

Also, our season is no longer 162 games. Our season is now at the discretion of the GM. He can blow this up when he wants. Hence if the team doesn't win NOW, this season will indeed be over.

Slappy
06-17-2010, 07:05 PM
but if they are to go 5-1, they probably need to win tonight.

Also, our season is no longer 162 games. Our season is now at the discretion of the GM. He can blow this up when he wants. Hence if the team doesn't win NOW, this season will indeed be over.

Even more important when you look at the pitcher we're facing tomorrow.

LoveYourSuit
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
They may not have said it directly, but there are a lot of people who feel strongly that April is pretty much a throw-away month. I've sat next to people like that at baseball games and discussed such. Everyone has a different philosophy. Using the term "must win" is silly, but the concept behind this thread is absolutely correct. This team must start showing it can sweep, it can generate win streaks, it can play consistently good baseball. And at the very least do so against crappy teams. So far they have shown little to none of that, which makes them a continued long shot to get back into this. Kenny Williams really wanted 5-1 on this trip, even though he was okay with 4-2 - but if they are to go 5-1, they probably need to win tonight.

I so agree with this.

There should be an urgency to win games vs bad teams going forward.

2 of 3 vs bad teams is not going to get it done when you sitll have a good amount of series left with BOS, NY, Tex, ANA, Atl, Tor, Min, Det, etc. It's a given that you are inferior to most those teams and saying you can win each of those series is a huge stretch.

doublem23
06-17-2010, 09:54 PM

These are the games you got to win to get back to .500, though.

Good win. Good series. Can we get 10 more games per year with the Pirates? :praying:

TDog
06-17-2010, 10:05 PM
These are the games you got to win to get back to .500, though.

Good win. Good series. Can we get 10 more games per year with the Pirates? :praying:

The Cubs might be willing to trade some Pirates games from their schedule if such things were allowed.

By the way, this became a must-win game when the Sox took a four-run lead into the bottom of the eighth. You have to win those games, even if it's just by one run.

It doesn't matter who the opponent is.

pythons007
06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
I created this thread because we are playing a team that hasn't played well. It was a must win game. Every game is in some way a must win. Through the course of a season, a very long season the object is to collect the most wins. Duh, I know!

The must win games should be against the teams that suck, are below .500, or are not playing well at the time. You should try to go .500 against the better teams or on the road.