PDA

View Full Version : False Hope or Reason 2 Think...

Dub25
06-16-2010, 10:32 PM
So 6 out of the last 7. I know 2 wins came against Detroit but is this false hope because the boys are playing the weaker league or should I believe maybe... just maybe... this team is waking up??? :scratch:

soltrain21
06-16-2010, 10:34 PM
It's nice to see they are waking up, too bad Minnesota is also good and we dug a huge ****ing hole because we can't beat Cleveland.

Dub25
06-16-2010, 10:34 PM
It's nice to see they are waking up, too bad Minnesota is also good and we dug a huge ****ing hole because we can't beat Cleveland.

Oh man, Cleveland, 3-8. Almost as bad as Detroit in 04 or was that 03?

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Oh man, Cleveland, 3-8. Almost as bad as Detroit in 04 or was that 03?

It was '03. I think the Sox were the only team the Tigers had a winning record against, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

LoveYourSuit
06-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Playing with the weaker NL helps, but the the Twins and Tigers are also playing the NL.

The Cub loss on Sunday was pathetic.

mzh
06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
It was '03. I think the Sox were the only team the Tigers had a winning record against, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
In 03, they didn't have a winning record against anyone, according to B-R. They were 8-11 against us though. In 04 that was reversed (we lost 11). So yeah pretty much both them years LOL.

Dub25
06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Playing with the weaker NL helps, but the the Twins and Tigers are also playing the NL.

It was but not surprising. It was typical White Sox baseball under the Greg Walker era.

Dibbs
06-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Probably false hope, but I can't help to have a little excitement. I feel like I got ripped off this year, and am grabbing for straws.

Dub25
06-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Probably false hope, but I can't help to have a little excitement. I feel like I got ripped off this year, and am grabbing for straws.

I think you summed up how I feel but I still had to start a thread to see how everyone else feels.

esbrechtel
06-16-2010, 11:01 PM

Couldn't agree more...

DirtySox
06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
False hope until this team starts performing consistently against AL teams or good NL teams. Winning the next 2 series against a decent Nats club, and a very good Braves team would instill more confidence.

The recent wins are nice though.

GoGoCrede
06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Team is waking up. Question is whether or not it's too little, too late. April really killed us.

Nelfox02
06-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I felt before this season this team should play around .500, maybe a few games over at the high point.....I do think they are playing better, but I think they are just playing up to the team they should have been all year thus far

I never expected them to be as bad as we ve seen in some stretches.....

Hope the turn around continues..........they find a way to get this lead under 5 (which I wont rule out but certianly am not counting on) and I will get a bit more interested

TheOldRoman
06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
It was '03. I think the Sox were the only team the Tigers had a winning record against, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.I remember that Loaiza TWICE lost 1-0 to the Tigers that year.:angry:

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2010, 11:36 PM
I remember that Loaiza TWICE lost 1-0 to the Tigers that year.:angry:

I remember that too. My nephew was at one of the games and was so pissed off that he told his dad he wanted to go home right after it ended (they didn't even stay for fireworks).

harwar
06-17-2010, 06:53 AM
definitely win tonight because the twins will have their hands full with jimenez and then play the philies in philly(getting both hamels and halladay)so we have to at least take the series against the nats .. there's no question that the braves will be tough but they are 20-7 at home and 18-21 on the road and we get them at our place so .. anyway this is kind of fun, this winning stuff :)

Smokey Burg
06-17-2010, 09:02 AM
They might just be waking up. Sure, they are playing the dregs of the NL but if you look at the Sox performance against the AL dregs over the last couple years it is not impressive. If they can take 2 from the Braves then they will have pulled me back in.

FielderJones
06-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Team is waking up. Question is whether or not it's too little, too late. April really killed us.

Too little too late happens in September, not June. It really is going to depend on Quentin and Beckham. If those guys can get their swing and their approach back, this team has a shot to make a push and get into the race.

Domeshot17
06-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Kenny has to buy a big bat, it just has to happen. We are starting to wake up, and the best way to get out of a slump is face bad pitching. That said, without picking up a bat who carry us with Konerko and Rios, we are going to keep having hiccup games like sunday. I know its just one game, but how big is that 1 loss? Its an entire game in the standings. Berkman is struggling and wouldn't come here, he says he will only go to a team that is a world series contender, and at 7.5 back, thats a tough sell.

SouthSideSid
06-17-2010, 10:25 AM
In the spring I expected to see one of the best starting pitching staffs this year. Up until the last week the starting pitching has been one of the worst in the league.

There is no way that the starters were as bad as they had pitched, so I figured they would have a better run in them.

There is plenty of time left in the season and plenty of games left against the Twins to get back into this race. The offense has seemingly started to wake up a little and the starters may be getting on track. I think it is the beginning of a solid run.

Red Barchetta
06-17-2010, 10:30 AM
The SOX tend to wake up every season during the interleague play so I'm not getting too excited. They need to reach .500 by the end of June before I feel they have a chance to compete in the second half. It is good for them to have a taste of winning.

We really need to get the old Carlos Quentin and 2009 Gordan Beckham going in order to compete. I'm just glad Konerko and Rios are having good seasons.

Quentin08
06-17-2010, 10:32 AM
definitely win tonight because the twins will have their hands full with jimenez

I sure hope so. Jimenez has been incredible! Luckily, I have the day off and the Twins/Rockies game is on the MLB Network at noon. :bandance:

slavko
06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
False hope. But it's fun, what the hey.

hi im skot
06-17-2010, 10:42 AM

I know everyone likes to freak the **** out when the Sox lose to the Cubs, but c'mon, Lilly pitched a solid game. And hey, Gavin did, too.

Yeah, they blew it against Marmol, but ****, you can't win them all; especially with this year's squad.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2010, 10:49 AM
It is probably false hope...but, it's going to be fun while it lasts. We have to remember that the Twins and the Tigers play the NL also.

The Tribune mentioned the Sox upcoming schedule. I paraphrased below:

The Sox have 13 games remaining against the Twins. They start after the All-Star break with four games at Target Field. Then, they go straight to the west-coast for Seattle and finish up in Oakland. This will be the first of their two west-coast trips, and we all know how well the Sox play on the west coast, heh. The Sox have two three-city trips in the second half. They also have seven games against Boston, all in September.

jdm2662
06-17-2010, 11:31 AM
EVERY team in the MLB has a stretch run of good baseball. Hell, the 89 team lost 92 games, and yet, managed to pull an eight game winning streak at one point. So, this is what I like to call fool's gold.

That said, after watching **** for two months, this is better to watch...

Dan H
06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
EVERY team in the MLB has a stretch run of good baseball. Hell, the 89 team lost 92 games, and yet, managed to pull an eight game winning streak at one point. So, this is what I like to call fool's gold.

That said, after watching **** for two months, this is better to watch...

I remember that eight game winning streak and how some people suddenly thougth the team was good. I'll enjoy the winning for now, but the Sox have to demonstrate they can be a consistent team. Playing so badly for the first two months has made it hard for this team to bounce back and truly contend. Williams will have to make some big decisions soon, and he can't do it with wishful thinking.

RCWHITESOX
06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Kenny has to buy a big bat, it just has to happen. We are starting to wake up, and the best way to get out of a slump is face bad pitching. That said, without picking up a bat who carry us with Konerko and Rios, we are going to keep having hiccup games like sunday. I know its just one game, but how big is that 1 loss? Its an entire game in the standings. Berkman is struggling and wouldn't come here, he says he will only go to a team that is a world series contender, and at 7.5 back, thats a tough sell.

Your absolutely right because once they get done with interleague play they will be exposed again at the DH position. Hopefully they will go after Dunn or Berkman or someone along those lines. I think they should also look into getting another OF and unloading Jones and iron glove Nix.

LoveYourSuit
06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I know everyone likes to freak the **** out when the Sox lose to the Cubs, but c'mon, Lilly pitched a solid game. And hey, Gavin did, too.

Yeah, they blew it against Marmol, but ****, you can't win them all; especially with this year's squad.

It could have been the Cubs, Pirates, Astros on the others side. That was one of the most winnable games this year that we pissed away.

I keep on saying, Lily was nothing special that night. It was all junk up there and Sox hitters just hacking away and pulling everything as they always do. Gavin Floyd outpitched him and got the loss.

That's why that loss was so pathetic in my book.

kobo
06-17-2010, 12:25 PM
It could have been the Cubs, Pirates, Astros on the others side. That was one of the most winnable games this year that we pissed away.

I keep on saying, Lily was nothing special that night. It was all junk up there and Sox hitters just hacking away and pulling everything as they always do. Gavin Floyd outpitched him and got the loss.

That's why that loss was so pathetic in my book.
Yep, nothing special except for no-hitting the Sox for 8 innings. The air in the stadium that night was completely dead and heavy. I think that benefited both pitchers, seeing as how both had no-hitters going through 6 innings. The ball wasn't carrying at all that night, and the weather conditions favored the pitchers. Lilly might not have been throwing his best, but he did enough to no-hit the Sox.

GAsoxfan
06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Your absolutely right because once they get done with interleague play they will be exposed again at the DH position. Hopefully they will go after Dunn or Berkman or someone along those lines. I think they should also look into getting another OF and unloading Jones and iron glove Nix.

If the Sox do decide to become buyers, a realistic option could be Adam LaRoche. He's not a big name guy, but he's a lefty with a career .833 OPS (.815 this year, 74th in MLB).

cws05champ
06-17-2010, 12:56 PM
It is probably false hope...but, it's going to be fun while it lasts. We have to remember that the Twins and the Tigers play the NL also.

The Tribune mentioned the Sox upcoming schedule. I paraphrased below:

The Sox have 13 games remaining against the Twins. They start after the All-Star break with four games at Target Field. Then, they go straight to the west-coast for Seattle and finish up in Oakland. This will be the first of their two west-coast trips, and we all know how well the Sox play on the west coast, heh. The Sox have two three-city trips in the second half. They also have seven games against Boston, all in September.
Even though I believe the Twins are a better team, it's not the same when we don't have to play in the baggie dome. In past years you could count on the Sox going 1-8 or 2-7 there. But with Target Field it doesn't seem so ominous for the Sox to go in there and actually win. Also, by the time we get to Seattle and Oakland some of their players may be gone(Cliff Lee etc).

I'm still leaning that this is false hope but one can dream. My gut tells me that if they get back into fringe contention and KW were to try and be a buyer at the deadline, it would be a huge mistake longterm.

PatK
06-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm still hoping the Sox will pull something off like the 2005 Astros.

areilly
06-17-2010, 01:16 PM
How can a 6-of-7 built on the backs of the Cubs and Pirates give anything but false hope - especially when that only helped the Sox gain one game on the Twins?

Lundind1
06-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Fools gold. I know that this team really isn't as good as it "should have" been. I am just waiting for something else stupid to happen, ie Kenny vs. Ozzie... twittergate... blow up doll... white flag trade... something, anything to let us down.

Trying to stay up-beat about this team is a job in itself, let alone watching the games.

october23sp
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I think we still have a shot, even if we don't have a shot and don't get closer than 5 GB I hope we still stay right around 5 GB because that will make the Sox worth watching, it's been too long before I put all my energy into simply watching a Sox game, let's get to .500, get in the race and see what happens, if our starting pitching stays where it has been the last week or so I think we will have a shot at catching the Twins.

Ranger
06-17-2010, 01:57 PM

I don't know if I'd call that loss "pathetic" but it was disappointing. I had no problem with that game in the slightest until the ninth inning. It was just an incredibly well-pitched ballgame. Not much you can do about that.

However, Ramirez simply cannot afford to strikeout with 2nd and 3rd, nobody out. That was the key to the inning.

As for the current stretch of games: I'm just happy they're beating teams they're supposed to. Win these games now and we'll see what happens in a couple of weeks.

guillensdisciple
06-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Twins lose today, the Sox have a chance of going 6.5 back with a win today.

Lets put a charge into this one. Detroit is winning too, but we can worry about them later. Only 5 games behind them.

Win today, beat Strasburg, and you are on a serious roll.

jdm2662
06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I remember that eight game winning streak and how some people suddenly thougth the team was good. I'll enjoy the winning for now, but the Sox have to demonstrate they can be a consistent team. Playing so badly for the first two months has made it hard for this team to bounce back and truly contend. Williams will have to make some big decisions soon, and he can't do it with wishful thinking.

I'm not even holding my breath. I went to the Saturday Brewer game last year. I remembered the Sox were pretty crappy in April and May. I looked it up. Sure enough, they had a very similar record this year at the time last year. The difference being of course the division was crappier last year. They played their best ball from that series until Mark's no hitter. Then, it all fell from there.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the current couple of weeks. It's a refreshing change. But, I'm not even thinking about the future. I'm thinking about tommrorow when the Sox will still be at MOST 7.5 games. I'm also off tommorrow, so that's cool, too...