View Full Version : Surprise: Peavy has arm issues

Sockinchisox
06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Start moved to Saturday.

http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/16336037721
http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/16336087466

TheOldRoman
06-16-2010, 05:42 PM
That is pretty vague. Is it fatigue? Dead arm? If he has serious issues I think they would be a little more cautious than just moving him back a few days.

Marqhead
If they are just pushing back a start it doesn't sound too serious. Hopefully it wont turn into an issue at all.

chisoxfan83
surprise surprise :rolleyes:

GoGoCrede
06-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Hope he heals quickly. I've suspected something was up. Good luck, Jake.

hi im skot
06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Somewhere, october23sp celebrates.

guillensdisciple
06-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Damn, I really hope it's just dead arm. He is pivotal to what we can do from here on out.

salty99
06-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I wonder if we shouldn't just shut him down for a little while and have Hudson, whoever else start a couple games.

TDog
06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Most pitchers have dead-arm issues during the course of a season.

It seems to be as prevalent with a five-man rotation as it was with the four-man rotation, although the five-man rotation advocates (even Paul Richards going way back) believed the extra day off between starts would minimize dead arms. On the other extreme, Johnny Sain believed pitchers were more likely to rust rather than wear out, that the lack of work weakened pitchers.

Pushing a pitcher back a day isn't a big deal. Skipping a start altogether may be a sign that there is a bigger problem.

slavko
06-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Ernie. Broglio.

Foulke You
06-16-2010, 06:06 PM
This is too bad. Peavy was just starting to throw the ball better in his last couple starts. Hopefully, it is just a minor issue. Sox usually err on the side of caution with injuries so I wouldn't be surprised if they skip his next start completely.

soltrain21
06-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Damn, I really hope it's just dead arm. He is pivotal to what we can do from here on out.

What can we do?

DirtySox
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
What can we do?

Make an inspiring run at 2nd place in the division!

sox1970
06-16-2010, 06:20 PM
So let's see what Hudson can do for a month. His next scheduled start is Saturday. Works out well.

october23sp
06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Somewhere, october23sp celebrates.

:wink:

I'm not happy he's hurt, I want him to be amazing for us, but he simply hasn't been.

Dibbs
06-16-2010, 06:46 PM
This could go down as the worst trade ever for the White Sox.

delben91
06-16-2010, 06:54 PM

Worse than Todd Ritchie? Or the David Wells deal?

Smokey Burg
06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Ernie. Broglio.

No, no, no, no, it can't be. Say it ain't so!!!!!!!

JB98
06-16-2010, 06:59 PM
This thread is an embarrassing overreaction. I haven't seen anything this embarrassing since, well, the WSI meltdown Sunday night.

GoGoCrede
06-16-2010, 07:09 PM

You must be joking. :rolleyes:

The Immigrant
06-16-2010, 07:12 PM
This thread is an embarrassing overreaction. I haven't seen anything this embarrassing since, well, the WSI meltdown Sunday night.

:thumbsup:

Spot on.

cards press box
06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Ernie. Broglio.

Does that mean that Clayton Richard is Lou Brock?

For two reasons, I could not agree more. First, skipping a start for a couple of days does not turn Peavy into the Ernie Broglio, the Cards' twenty game winner who later had a sore arm with the Cubs. Second, I don't anyone can reasonably conclude that the Sox dealt a future Hall of Famer for Peavy. Richard has pitched o.k. at Petco Park but that's a long way from being as valuable as Lou Brock was to the Cardinals.

NDSox12
06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Ugh. I was selfishly looking forward to seeing a Strasburg/Buehrle matchup in person on Friday. Now I won't get to see Buehrle or Danks in DC.

balke
06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
:angry:OMG! I KNEW IT GUYS! TOMMY JOHN SURGERY, I CALLED IT! I TOLD YOU ALL THAT'S WHAT PEAVY NEEDS - HE NEEDS TO GET SURGERY AND SIT OUT FOR THE REST OF HIS CAREER! WORST TRADE EVARRR!:angry:

GoGoCrede
06-16-2010, 07:26 PM
:angry:OMG! I KNEW IT GUYS! TOMMY JOHN SURGERY, I CALLED IT! I TOLD YOU ALL THAT'S WHAT PEAVY NEEDS - HE NEEDS TO GET SURGERY AND SIT OUT FOR THE REST OF HIS CAREER! WORST TRADE EVARRR!:angry:

Sadly, this isn't all far off from what people actually write about Peavy.

Slappy
06-16-2010, 07:26 PM
We just got Freddy Garcia'd.

doublem23
06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
We just got Freddy Garcia'd.

Uh, no.

thomas35forever
06-16-2010, 07:59 PM
This thread has gotten ridiculous. We all know Peavy hasn't been at his best this season. We need to hope that arm gets better since we have him locked up. If pushing his start back helps him out, I'm all for it. No need to make things worse than they already are.

Irishsox1
06-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Nothing will top the Bobby Bonilla trade...ever!

GoGoCrede
06-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Nothing will top the Bobby Bonilla trade...ever!

Hell, even the Swisher trade was worse.

Craig Grebeck
06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Good trade.

Whatever. Hope he's better.

Noneck
06-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Is it possible Peavy just wants the national exposure of facing Strasburg? I hope so.

TheVulture
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM

No way. You'll be eating your words at some point in the near future.

Chez
06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Is it possible Peavy just wants the national exposure of facing Strasburg? I hope so.

I thought Strasburg was throwing Friday night?

Noneck
06-16-2010, 09:54 PM
I thought Strasburg was throwing Friday night?

Garfien and Harrelson said Peavy may go on friday.

sox1970
06-16-2010, 09:55 PM
http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/16352908228

Sam Spade
06-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Garfien and Harrelson said Peavy may go on friday.
I heard hawk say floyd on friday near the end of the broadcast.

Malgar 12
06-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Worse than Todd Ritchie? Or the David Wells deal?

Or Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon!

gosox41
06-16-2010, 10:25 PM
That is pretty vague. Is it fatigue? Dead arm? If he has serious issues I think they would be a little more cautious than just moving him back a few days.

There's something more going on here. JP has made reference to a tired arm more then once this year.

I say DL him, let him rest for 2 weeks, bring up Hudson and move on.

His on the field performance also tells you something ain't right.

Bob

samurai_sox
06-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Does that mean that Clayton Richard is Lou Brock?

For two reasons, I could not agree more. First, skipping a start for a couple of days does not turn Peavy into the Ernie Broglio, the Cards' twenty game winner who later had a sore arm with the Cubs. Second, I don't anyone can reasonably conclude that the Sox dealt a future Hall of Famer for Peavy. Richard has pitched o.k. at Petco Park but that's a long way from being as valuable as Lou Brock was to the Cardinals.

Well of course, any pitcher will do well in a park modeled after the Grand Canyon.

Dub25
06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Well of course, any pitcher will do well in a park modeled after the Grand Canyon.

True. Look at Jon Garland and Clayton Richard this season. And I believe Garland has something like a 0.75 ERA at home.

Dibbs
06-17-2010, 02:33 AM
No way. You'll be eating your words at some point in the near future.

There are no words to be eaten. I said it could, not would.

SI1020
06-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Ernie. Broglio. You know I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while. Peavy is a power pitcher that no longer shows the snap and the speed to his pitches that he once had. I hope he doesn't turn into our Ernie Broglio but I fear that he already has.

Edit: I notice the critics calling this an overreaction. I've been paying as close attention as I possibly can, with my flawed brain and all and have felt for sometime that Peavy is hurt. He wouldn't be the first front line pitcher that had an abbreviated career due to arm troubles. Of course I hope I am wrong, but it's been obvious to me at least that Jake is nowhere near the top of his game this year. He doesn't seem to have a flaw in his motion, or his arm slot or whatever. It seems to me like he just can't. Let him have his extra rest and come back like the pitcher he once was. I would really like to be wrong about him.

balke
06-17-2010, 09:30 AM
You know I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while. Peavy is a power pitcher that no longer shows the snap and the speed to his pitches that he once had. I hope he doesn't turn into our Ernie Broglio but I fear that he already has.

Yeah... possibly moving to Friday. Let's go ahead and have a surgeon on site next game. Put Richard in the Hall of Fame today - and call up Hudson today. Better put Peavy on the 60 day DL just in case.

SOXSINCE'70
06-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Hope he heals quickly. I've suspected something was up.

It's been said by many "mediots" that Peavy has had trouble throwing his
"explosive" slider.Without that pitch,Peavy's got no chance.

Just my stupid opinion:Put Peavy on the 15 day DL
and call up Daniel Hudson.

TheOldRoman
06-17-2010, 10:12 AM
It's been said by many "mediots" that Peavy has had trouble throwing his
"explosive" slider.Without that pitch,Peavy's got no chance.

Just my stupid opinion:Put Peavy on the 15 day DL
and call up Daniel Hudson.The Sox have a very good medical and training staff. They routinely have among the fewest injuries per organization any given year. This isn't like the Twins pitching Liriano in 06 with his arm hanging by a thread to get to the playoffs. If there is a serious problem with Peavy, they will address it. If they think giving him time off will help him get back healthy, they will do that. This could be a "tired arm" period, or it could be something where throwing will not further aggravate it. I think the Sox are going to have their best long-term interests in mind.

SOXSINCE'70
06-17-2010, 10:21 AM
The Sox have a very good medical and training staff. They routinely have among the fewest injuries per organization any given year. This isn't like the Twins pitching Liriano in 06 with his arm hanging by a thread to get to the playoffs. If there is a serious problem with Peavy, they will address it. If they think giving him time off will help him get back healthy, they will do that. This could be a "tired arm" period, or it could be something where throwing will not further aggravate it. I think the Sox are going to have their best long-term interests in mind.

Yes, I agree.:yup:

Hitmen77
06-17-2010, 10:21 AM
No way is he the next Ernie Broglio. That's just silly.

....that being said if Peavy does end up with arm problems (I'm saying "if"), then his contract is going to really hamstring us for the next 2 seasons as he's owed $16 million next year and $17 million in 2012.

Hey, maybe the fact that he's flopped and developed arm problems as soon as he was traded to us means that we was really destined to be traded to the Cubs last year after all. :tongue:

Hitmen77
06-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Or Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon!

I don't remember the details, but I vaguely remember the Sox were sort of stuck in the Bonilla situation in that he needed to be sent down at that point in his career but he was out of options .....or something like that. Does anyone remember the details? At any rate, I remember that it wasn't as simple as the Sox just deciding to trade him.

Nonetheless, even though that was a bad exchange for the White Sox, it's not like Bonilla was a hall of famer. He was good, but I always thought he was overpaid (by the Mets?) and overrated.

Coops4Aces
06-17-2010, 11:07 AM
I was hoping Peavy would be able to dominate these NL teams like old times and that would spark him to a great second half. So hopefully he is alright, but luckily we have Hudson who can fill in for a few starts. He pitched pretty well last September.

Baron
06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I dont know if you guys read this but in the Chicago Tribune Jake said that he has fluid in his arm and its getting progressively worse....Why on Earth would you continue letting him pitch? Put him on the 15 day DL get that arm drained and call up Hudson

salty99
06-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Coop said today that the earliest Peavy is throwing is Saturday.

WisSoxFan
06-17-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't remember the details, but I vaguely remember the Sox were sort of stuck in the Bonilla situation in that he needed to be sent down at that point in his career but he was out of options .....or something like that. Does anyone remember the details? At any rate, I remember that it wasn't as simple as the Sox just deciding to trade him.

Nonetheless, even though that was a bad exchange for the White Sox, it's not like Bonilla was a hall of famer. He was good, but I always thought he was overpaid (by the Mets?) and overrated.

Wasn't Bonilla a rule 5 draft by the White Sox out of the Pirates organization and thus had to be on our major league roster for that year.

edit - From Wikipedia - The White Sox then acquired him through the Rule 5 Draft (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/wiki/Rule_5_Draft). After making his major league debut with Chicago, Bonilla was regularly hazed by veteran players and Negro League Baseball (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/wiki/Negro_League_Baseball) star Buck O'Neil (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/wiki/Buck_O%27Neil) who put shaving cream in his shoes. Syd Thrift, then the Pirates' General Manager, reacquired the unhappy Bonilla in exchange for pitcher Jose DeLeon (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/wiki/Jose_DeLeon).

Slappy
06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Uh, no.

Maybe?

doublem23
06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Maybe?

Only if you started paying attention to this team in 2006.

Even then, probably not. Either Swisher deal was way worse than Peavy. We got him for nothing, for pete's sake!

Slappy
06-17-2010, 03:16 PM

That makes no sense.

Even then, probably not. Either Swisher deal was way worse than Peavy. We got him for nothing, for pete's sake!

Anyway, what I was implying was that we let Freddy walk and he was hiding an injury, all while receiving Gavin and Gio for it. Pretty similar situation to the Peavy situation we find ourselves in now.

doublem23
06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Anyway, what I was implying was that we let Freddy walk and he was hiding an injury, all while receiving Gavin and Gio for it. Pretty similar situation to the Peavy situation we find ourselves in now.

Hard to hide an injury, when you're trading a guy on the disabled list.

Slappy
06-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Troll on, playa.

Hitmen77
06-17-2010, 03:20 PM

The biggest problem I have with Peavy if he's going to be injured or ineffective for us is the amount of money we owe him. He's going to take a pretty big bite out of our payroll through 2012.

At least it's only 2 years after this one. It's not like we got "Zito-ed" with a 5 year contract for this guy.

doublem23
06-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Troll on, playa.

You do know that the disabled list is for injured players and that when we acquired Jake Peavy he was on the disabled list, right? I'm not blowing your mind with this information, am I?

I'm just saying, it's hard to be shocked a guy is hurt when you trade for him while he's on the DL.

Try again. :fail:

Slappy
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Peavy had an ankle injury when we traded for him, not a throwing arm injury.

http://www.lolz.se/fun/fail-1.jpg

doublem23
06-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Peavy had an ankle injury when we traded for him, not a throwing arm injury.

Yes, but during the season he's already mentioned some of his problems he's attributed to a change in his mechanics from trying to overprotect his ankle.

Have you played baseball before? At the professional level, it's not like tossing the softball around in the park with your bros. It takes a finely tuned, athletic machine to hurl a baseball 90+ MPH with any sort of discernible control. Any injury for a pitcher is potentially serious, if it affects the way they throw (ankle injuries, by the way, affect the way you throw).

Keep trying, though. I'm sure one day you'll get me. :wink:

SI1020
06-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Yes, but during the season he's already mentioned some of his problems he's attributed to a change in his mechanics from trying to overprotect his ankle.

Have you played baseball before? At the professional level, it's not like tossing the softball around in the park with your bros. It takes a finely tuned, athletic machine to hurl a baseball 90+ MPH with any sort of discernible control. Any injury for a pitcher is potentially serious, if it affects the way they throw (ankle injuries, by the way, affect the way you throw).

Keep trying, though. I'm sure one day you'll get me. :wink: Exactly. I learned that in the Stone Age when I was a kid and read about the great Dizzy Dean.

SI1020
06-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I dont know if you guys read this but in the Chicago Tribune Jake said that he has fluid in his arm and its getting progressively worse....Why on Earth would you continue letting him pitch? Put him on the 15 day DL get that arm drained and call up Hudson So maybe those of us who offered injury as a plausible reason for his subpar performance aren't idiots after all?

october23sp
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM

http://www.libertycrossingsyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Waterboy.jpg

Slappy
06-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Please don't wait around for me to try. I'm just going to ignore you now.

soltrain21
06-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Ideas have gotten pretty ridiculous between this and people thinking Ozzie and KW act like they are hating each other for the TV show.

salty99
06-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Peavy says he's starting Saturday.

balke
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
You do know that the disabled list is for injured players and that when we acquired Jake Peavy he was on the disabled list, right? I'm not blowing your mind with this information, am I?

I'm just saying, it's hard to be shocked a guy is hurt when you trade for him while he's on the DL.

Try again. :fail:

You do know that he pitched perfectly fine at the end of last year and is now complaining of a tired arm - and in no way is that related at all to a torn tendon in the foot right?

HIS INJURY LAST YEAR HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS ARM PEOPLE.

Plus, as stated - where was this arm fatigue at the end of last season? He looked fine then. The conspiracy theory needs to go away - he's had a down year. Find a great pitcher who never had one.

Craig Grebeck
06-17-2010, 06:05 PM
You do know that he pitched perfectly fine at the end of last year and is now complaining of a tired arm - and in no way is that related at all to a torn tendon in the foot right?

Plus, as stated - where was this arm fatigue at the end of last season? He looked fine then. The conspiracy theory needs to go away - he's had a down year. Find a great pitcher who never had one.
Injuries on different parts of the body can still be related. Overthrowing as a result of foot problems, etc. It can happen.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Numerous ML scouts have commented that Peavy's throwing motion IS a problem. He puts tons of stress on his elbow, especially with his slider. This came up when KW traded for him last year.

The Padres knew that. They babied him repeatedly over the past few years and especially during his Cy Young year. He repeatedly was given an extra days rest.

Rich Harden has been treated very similarly his whole career.

balke
06-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Numerous ML scouts have commented that Peavy's throwing motion IS a problem. He puts tons of stress on his elbow, especially with his slider. This came up when KW traded for him last year.

The Padres knew that. They babied him repeatedly over the past few years and especially during his Cy Young year. He repeatedly was given an extra days rest.

Rich Harden has been treated very similarly his whole career.

Buehrle doesn't have those issues - and they baby him now and then with extra rest or fewer preseason starts. I don't see why Peavy moves back 2 days because his arm isn't lively automatically triggers the "I told you so" Tommy John talk reaction.

There's fluid in his shoulder - and he is taking a rest. He hasn't torn/strained/severed/broken anything in there.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Buehrle doesn't have those issues - and they baby him now and then with extra rest or fewer preseason starts. I don't see why Peavy moves back 2 days because his arm isn't lively automatically triggers the "I told you so" Tommy John talk reaction.

There's fluid in his shoulder - and he is taking a rest. He hasn't torn/strained/severed/broken anything in there.

I never said I told you so, or brought up anything of the sort. Yeah, Buehrle takes an extra day of rest a few times a year, but not to the extent that guys like Peavy and Harden have.

This current issue may be unrelated to his throwing motion and the torque on his elbow, but I figured it was as good of thread as any to bring it up.

It's a real possibility that we don't get the full 2 1/2 years out of Peavy that he has left.

Huisj
06-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Plus, as stated - where was this arm fatigue at the end of last season? He looked fine then.

He hadn't pitched in a few months, so it would have been surprising if that arm fatigue had set in at that point.

I'm in the camp of people saying that having an injury to a different part of your body can certainly affect your arm in the long run. If one thing hurts (or previously was hurt), chances are you might baby it a little, even if you are trying not to. If you baby it, you'll probably alter your rhythm and mechanics a bit. You might compensate for that by trying to do a little more with your arm to get life on pitches when you used to be able to do that with your body.

Hitmen77
06-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Peavy is ready to start tomorrow:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100618&content_id=11317156&notebook_id=11322712&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I heard that Stephen Strasburg touched his shoulder and now it's healed.:wink:

BRDSR
06-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Peavy is ready to start tomorrow:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100618&content_id=11317156&notebook_id=11322712&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I heard that Stephen Strasburg touched his shoulder and now it's healed.:wink:

Next blurb in the article says KW was standing in front of the Sox' dugout last night...when did JR let him go on road trips again?

balke
06-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Update: looked pretty good to me.