PDA

View Full Version : The road to over .500 at the break

lpneck
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
I think the White Sox have a realistic chance of getting to 44-43 by the all-star break. If they do that, it might not be over.

Currently 29-34. Here is a realistic shot that includes losing 2 series that could get them to over .500 at the break by going 15-9.

2-0 at Pirates
2-1 at Nationals
1-2 vs. Braves
2-1 vs. Cubs
2-1 at Royals
1-2 at Rangers
2-2 vs. Angels
3-0 vs. Royals

If they do that, and are then around 6 games out or so, they could have a shot. (Of course, if they turn around and get swept by Minnesota right after the break, all of the work would have been for nothing.)

pythons007
06-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I think the White Sox have a realistic chance of getting to 44-43 by the all-star break. If they do that, it might not be over.

Currently 29-34. Here is a realistic shot that includes losing 2 series that could get them to over .500 at the break by going 15-9.

2-0 at Pirates
2-1 at Nationals
1-2 vs. Braves
2-1 vs. Cubs
2-1 at Royals
1-2 at Rangers
2-2 vs. Angels
3-0 vs. Royals

If they do that, and are then around 6 games out or so, they could have a shot. (Of course, if they turn around and get swept by Minnesota right after the break, all of the work would have been for nothing.)

I have to question the Cubs series. I know the Sox have a 4 game lead in the series, but it always seems to work out as a wash. I remember one year the Sox sweeping at the Urinal and then getting swept at the Cell.

3 wins against the Royals seems to never happen. They just never seem to be able to beat them.

I've been pretty optomistic to this point, but I'm going to take it one game at a time, and one series at a time. They won the first one against Pitt, now let's win today and move on from there.

I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves, just for another let down.

SOXfnNlansing
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
.500 is a good place to start, thinking about the long climb up the standings we face. I was hoping they would rip off an 8 game winning streak, followed by a few other 4-5 game streaks. That will get them moving up the standings.

LITTLE NELL
06-16-2010, 02:11 PM

2-0 at Pirates
2-1 at Nationals
1-2 vs. Braves
2-1 vs. Cubs
2-1 at Royals
1-2 at Rangers
2-2 vs. Angels
3-0 vs. Royals

I figured 43-44, 2-1 vs KC right before the break. Tough to predict sweeps. Pitt will be tough to sweep also this week in their park, but I hope you are right.

voodoochile
06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
I have to question the Cubs series. I know the Sox have a 4 game lead in the series, but it always seems to work out as a wash. I remember one year the Sox sweeping at the Urinal and then getting swept at the Cell.

3 wins against the Royals seems to never happen. They just never seem to be able to beat them.

I've been pretty optomistic to this point, but I'm going to take it one game at a time, and one series at a time. They won the first one against Pitt, now let's win today and move on from there.

I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves, just for another let down.

:thumbsup:

Just win... TODAY... Tomorrow's never going to get here anyway...

pudge
06-16-2010, 04:35 PM
:thumbsup:

Tomorrow's never going to get here anyway...

It isn't!!?? Dang, I better get moving, gotta lot of things I want to do before the end of civilization!!

voodoochile
06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
It isn't!!?? Dang, I better get moving, gotta lot of things I want to do before the end of civilization!!

No worries, that won't happen until tomorrow becomes today.

GoGoCrede
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Well, I'm ready. I'll be in it for the long haul, boys, so make the ride worth it. :gulp:

downstairs
06-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm all for the optimism. They're on a nice little run here.

However, the team just seems to play like a .500 team. I really feel that's their ceiling- .500.

I could see us getting there, but no further.

Just my feeling from watching them game to game.

Slappy
06-16-2010, 05:14 PM
^^^ Feel the same. We is what we is at this point.

guillensdisciple
06-16-2010, 05:19 PM
The repercussions from this team hitting an above or .500 mark probably means we become buyers before the deadline. That probably means we go for another talented hitter considering as that is the only glaring hole.

J.R. will pay if we are in it, so I will hold hope until that point.. I can see the Sox going from floating at or above .500 to becoming a powerhouse with the addition of another bat.

Hell, if these hitters produce, I can see it too.

pythons007
06-16-2010, 05:31 PM
The repercussions from this team hitting an above or .500 mark probably means we become buyers before the deadline. That probably means we go for another talented hitter considering as that is the only glaring hole.

J.R. will pay if we are in it, so I will hold hope until that point.. I can see the Sox going from floating at or above .500 to becoming a powerhouse with the addition of another bat.

Hell, if these hitters produce, I can see it too.

But who do you see the Sox going after? It seems like every year we get a bat, it's some dude well past his prime. However, I was delighted when we traded for Griffey. I always wanted a Griffey White Sox jersey, and my dream came true. LOL!

FielderJones
06-16-2010, 05:44 PM
On this date in 1983 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/VCHA01983.htm) (an off date), the Sox were 4 games under .500. LaMarr Hoyt had just made it to .500 at 7-7. Floyd Bannister was 2-7. Rich Dotson was 5-5. Britt Burns was 2-4. Jerry Koosman was the bright spot at 5-1. At that point in the season, having recovered from being 8 games under, there was nothing to indicate they would ever get hot. It just happened. If you gave up on that team in June, you missed an exciting season.

There has been a lot of adversity this year, and it's possible Quentin and Beckham may never pull out of their slumps. But if they make even modest gains, the season could become exciting again.

guillensdisciple
06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
On this date in 1983 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/VCHA01983.htm) (an off date), the Sox were 4 games under .500. LaMarr Hoyt had just made it to .500 at 7-7. Floyd Bannister was 2-7. Rich Dotson was 5-5. Britt Burns was 2-4. Jerry Koosman was the bright spot at 5-1. At that point in the season, having recovered from being 8 games under, there was nothing to indicate they would ever get hot. It just happened. If you gave up on that team in June, you missed an exciting season.

There has been a lot of adversity this year, and it's possible Quentin and Beckham may never pull out of their slumps. But if they make even modest gains, the season could become exciting again.

I've been waiting for something like this to be posted.

I have no doubt that something is possible for this team beyond just being a ,500 team.

kufram
06-16-2010, 06:01 PM
I've been waiting for something like this to be posted.

I have no doubt that something is possible for this team beyond just being a ,500 team.

I agree. Winning a few games changes the loser mentality on the team. The numbers were so bad from so many players that it couldn't go on forever. We don't need long winning streaks as bad as we need to have a SERIES winning streak. That CAN be done.

TheVulture
06-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Here's my roadmap to five hundred:

Win the next five games.

Foulke You
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM
You are thinking of 2008. The Sox got swept at Wrigley Field and then one week later, got revenge by sweeping the Cubs at the Cell. Last year, we took 4 of 6 from them and it looks like we are heading down that path again. This year's Cubs team is pretty bad and playing their worst baseball in June. If the Sox can't take 2 of 3 from them at home, we don't deserve to be back in the division race.

Foulke You
06-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Here's my roadmap to five hundred:

Win the next five games.
I'll drink to that! :gulp:

thomas35forever
06-16-2010, 08:04 PM
It's pretty obvious we've played better of late. With 98 games left in the season after tonight, we just need to take baby steps to get back in contention given our current place in the standings. Maybe we're playing well because of the easy competition we're facing right now. Even if that's the case, doing well against lesser teams can give us confidence when facing better teams. That said, go Sox!