PDA

View Full Version : Mark Teahen

Crede24Thome25
06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
I've been doing a bit of research and came up with a thought of moving Teahen to right field. This may sound crazy, but it seems he plays a better outfield than infield. 40+ errors in the infield and 18 in the outfield with 40+ assists over his career. So with that being said our lineup would look something like this(the blank spots are question marks for next year, so you fill them in)

C
1B
2B Beckham
SS Ramirez
3B
DH
LF Pierre
CF Rios
RF Teahen

Questionable returns Konerko, Pierzynski,Quentin,Kotsay

soltrain21
06-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Your DH, 3B, 1B and C better be really really good bats.

Crede24Thome25
06-15-2010, 04:46 PM
:D: I said they were questionable returns, they all may return.

TDog
06-15-2010, 04:53 PM

It is more important that catchers be strong defensively than offensively. Teams have won championships with weak-hitting third basemen and first basemen who great on defense. It is most common to see hitters who aren't good defensively moved to first base because that used to be the designated hitter spot.

Crede24Thome25
06-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Does anyone think it would be a good more or no?

Domeshot17
06-15-2010, 05:47 PM
I think a good move would be pick up some realible, consistently good hitters and let guys like Teahen do what they are suppose to do and be role playing back ups who play 3-4 times a week at different positions.

Crede24Thome25
06-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I think a good move would be pick up some realible, consistently good hitters and let guys like Teahen do what they are suppose to do and be role playing back ups who play 3-4 times a week at different positions.
Although I would love for that to happen it won't, he's one of the guys were forced to play everyday as of now.

TheVulture
06-16-2010, 06:11 PM
40+ errors in the infield and 18 in the outfield with 40+ assists over his career.

That doesn't mean anything. If your OFer makes as many errors as an average 3b, you've got serious problems. Not to mention the games played would have to be considered and a god awful OFer could go all season without making an error and he'd still be awful.

getonbckthr
06-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I prefer he retires personally.

doublem23
06-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Only 423 games left on that contract extension...

getonbckthr
06-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Only 423 games left on that contract extension...
Early retirement could make it zero....:D:

hi im skot
06-16-2010, 08:29 PM
18 errors for an outfielder isn't exactly great...

Crede24Thome25
06-16-2010, 11:02 PM
18 errors for an outfielder isn't exactly great...

That doesn't mean anything. If your OFer makes as many errors as an average 3b, you've got serious problems. Not to mention the games played would have to be considered and a god awful OFer could go all season without making an error and he'd still be awful.

The 18 errors sure as hell beats the 40+.
I'm just saying it seems he's a better outfielder than outfielder. I really can't bare to watch him not make the routine plays at third anymore.

soxinem1
06-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Teahen's best position:

http://www.3and2baseball.com/images/kc_royals_logo.gif

Crede24Thome25
06-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Teahen's best position:

http://www.3and2baseball.com/images/kc_royals_logo.gif
I really don't know what Kenny Williams could have been thinking to go after Teahen I'm sure there were better options for a trade including Getz + Fields.

Sargeant79
06-17-2010, 09:46 AM
I really don't know what Kenny Williams could have been thinking to go after Teahen I'm sure there were better options for a trade including Getz + Fields.

I was (and still am) ok with the trade. Fields is probably a AAAA player at best...he'd have a hard time even being a utility player or bench bat since his defense is so atrocious and he cannot play multiple positions. Getz's future is probably as a utility infielder as well.

It's the extension they gave Teahan that I think was the mistake. If he performs respectably, it's not a lot of money and it gives you cost certainty through his arbitration years. But that is a really big if. It wouldn't surprise me if they going to wind up cutting him at some point and eating a good chunk of that money.

hi im skot
06-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm just saying it seems he's a better outfielder than outfielder. I really can't bare to watch him not make the routine plays at third anymore.

No, what I'm saying is 40 errors in the infield is just as bad as 18 errors in the outfield.

Teahen seems like a nice guy and all, but he's trying to be a baseball player without any of the, you know, skills it takes to be one. He can't hit and he can't field.

TheVulture
06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm just saying it seems he's a better outfielder than outfielder.

It doesn't though. You can't compare the number of errors an OFer makes to an IFer, that's ridiculous. Look at Carlos Lee - I believe he had a full season where he made one error. Are you trying to tell me he was a better OFer than Ozzie Smith was an IFer since Ozzie regularly committed 12-20 errors a season? I don't think so.

Crede24Thome25
06-17-2010, 05:38 PM
It doesn't though. You can't compare the number of errors an OFer makes to an IFer, that's ridiculous. Look at Carlos Lee - I believe he had a full season where he made one error. Are you trying to tell me he was a better OFer than Ozzie Smith was an IFer since Ozzie regularly committed 12-20 errors a season? I don't think so.
No unlike you I'm comparing one person not carlos lee to a HOF player. I'm just simply stating we should give it a try.

Lillian
06-26-2010, 09:13 AM
In looking at Teahen's career stats, including his split stats, maybe the best place for him is DH. He has been a pretty good hitter versus RHP, especially in 2006 and 2007.

I also noticed that he had a pretty good year last year, until the last month of the season. He missed a few games in the middle of September, so perhaps he was injured. On August 25th he was hitting .283 with a .338 OBP. He had already hit 31 of his season total 34 doubles.
While he didn't hit many homers, I'd still take that kind of production from him this year and be very satisfied. And last year wasn't his best year.
So for a guy who is only now just entering his prime, he may not be as bad as we think, except for his poor defense.
Moreover, he had managed to get his OBP up to .340 this year, just before going on the DL. That's good enough to give him the third highest OBP on the team.

If Viciedo can play enough 3RD, without being a defensive liability, to keep Vizquel fresh, then Teahen could be a serviceable left handed DH.
He still doesn't fill the need for a middle of the order power bat to break up the string of right handed hitters, but he would probably hit better than Kotsay over a full season.

One way or the other, the Sox better find some place to hide his poor defense because he's going to play. That contract is going to make him very hard to trade.

dickallen15
06-26-2010, 09:37 AM
In looking at Teahen's career stats, including his split stats, maybe the best place for him is DH. He has been a pretty good hitter versus RHP, especially in 2006 and 2007.

I also noticed that he had a pretty good year last year, until the last month of the season. He missed a few games in the middle of September, so perhaps he was injured. On August 25th he was hitting .283 with a .338 OBP. He had already hit 31 of his season total 34 doubles.
While he didn't hit many homers, I'd still take that kind of production from him this year and be very satisfied. And last year wasn't his best year.
So for a guy who is only now just entering his prime, he may not be as bad as we think, except for his poor defense.
Moreover, he had managed to get his OBP up to .340 this year, just before going on the DL. That's good enough to give him the third highest OBP on the team.

If Viciedo can play enough 3RD, without being a defensive liability, to keep Vizquel fresh, then Teahen could be a serviceable left handed DH.
He still doesn't fill the need for a middle of the order power bat to break up the string of right handed hitters, but he would probably hit better than Kotsay over a full season.

One way or the other, the Sox better find some place to hide his poor defense because he's going to play. That contract is not going to make him very hard to trade.

This team took off once Teahen was eliminated from the equation. I hope when he returns, his role is off the bench for the rest of his White Sox career.

Madscout
06-26-2010, 10:26 AM
This team took off once Teahen was eliminated from the equation. I hope when he returns, his role is off the bench for the rest of his White Sox career.

This team took off after a lot of things. Kenny's rant and (I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet) the cameras from that reality show getting out of here. That said, the way Omar is playing makes it tough for MT to take over, but if he is truely part of the sox future plans, then I think they'll find something. 2b seems like an attractive choice, though do you really want to change that DP combo? I think it will come down to who stays healthy and if we keep winning.

SephClone89
06-26-2010, 10:29 AM
This team took off after a lot of things. Kenny's rant and (I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet) the cameras from that reality show getting out of here. That said, the way Omar is playing makes it tough for MT to take over, but if he is truely part of the sox future plans, then I think they'll find something. 2b seems like an attractive choice, though do you really want to change that DP combo? I think it will come down to who stays healthy and if we keep winning.

Where did you get this impression?

I thought they were filming all the way up to the All-Star Break or the trade deadline?

DonnieDarko
06-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I've heard the same thing.

Madscout
06-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Where did you get this impression?

I thought they were filming all the way up to the All-Star Break or the trade deadline?

The season starts soon or has started, so I thought they were done. My bad.

SoxNation05
06-26-2010, 04:28 PM
No unlike you I'm comparing one person not carlos lee to a HOF player. I'm just simply stating we should give it a try.
Quentin has more upside. Quentin has talent. Quentin has shown he can hit ML pitching consistantly, now put it to rest.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2010, 04:35 PM
It's not a coincidence that Sox pitching has improved since Vizquel has played the hot corner. Keep him there. Teahen should DH upon his return occasionally playing third just to give Vizquel a rest. Viciedo should go back to Charlotte.

Brian26
06-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Teahen seems to be a liability no matter where he plays in the field. His bat seemed to be heating up a bit before he got hurt. Perhaps the Sox should consider making him the permanent DH when he gets back and lose Kotsay.

Brian26
06-26-2010, 04:42 PM
It's not a coincidence that Sox pitching has improved since Vizquel has played the hot corner. Keep him there. Teahen should DH upon his return occasionally playing third just to give Vizquel a rest. Viciedo should go back to Charlotte.

Edit- you stole my thunder before I saw your post. :D:

palehozenychicty
06-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Teahen seems to be a liability no matter where he plays in the field. His bat seemed to be heating up a bit before he got hurt. Perhaps the Sox should consider making him the permanent DH when he gets back and lose Kotsay.

We can only hope.

johnnyg83
06-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Teahan would be a fine (though expensive) super UI/5th OF/PH.

dickallen15
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
He started hitting a little better, but not good enough to be a full time DH. Besides, what are the odds he picks up right where he left off? This guys is just mediocre at just about everything on a major league baseball field. The White Sox need to aim higher than that.

getonbckthr
06-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I said the day the deal was done and have been saying it since, the trade was a horrible trade. Possibly Kenny's worst. You can feed me the bull **** that Fields and Getz have been hurt all year and that Fields sucks, and you'd be correct. However I'd rather have 2 small pieces of **** at the league minimum sitting in the minors opposed to one giant 4 million dollar piece of **** who has split time between the DL and making a mockery of 3B.

Hitmen77
06-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Vizquel, as great as he's been, probably can't keep up playing every day over the long haul of the summer. But even so, perhaps Viciedo is a better back up for him at 3B than Teahen.

Also, unless we get another bat for our lineup we're still going with Kotsay at DH every day. Without another bat, maybe Teahen takes up some of the DH duties for us.....I'm not saying this is ideal, but seeing as we still have one spot in our lineup (DH) that's left to bench players, that's the reality for now.

palehosepub
06-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Intodays pregame show Hawk was saying how much the team has been with Vizquel on the field. He says it without mentioning Teahan but he stated a couple of times that "you are not going well without catching the ball" and the Sox are 16-6 with Omar in the lineup. Really confirmed my thought that I don't want to see Teahan at 3B when he gets off the DL.

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Teahen is not an ideal DH. But he's better than Kotsay: higher OBP, higher AVG, higher SLG, younger.

The Sox infield is better with Vizquel at third, and Vizquel has been acceptable with the bat.

Kotsay is playing way too much. Mackowiak and Erstad were better hitters.

Vizquel @ 3B + Teahen @ DH > Teahen @ 3B + Kotsay @ DH

getonbckthr
06-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Teahen is not an ideal DH. But he's better than Kotsay: higher OBP, higher AVG, higher SLG, younger.

The Sox infield is better with Vizquel at third, and Vizquel has been acceptable with the bat.

I'd rather have Donny Lucy over both of them at DH. Partial joke/partial not.

rowand33
06-28-2010, 12:44 AM

This is absolutely true. For all of his faults as a center fielder, I'd much rather have Machowiak's bat than Kotsays.