PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake at Petco

october23sp
06-15-2010, 08:15 AM
I think is pretty cool, I've never experienced one before.

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100614&content_id=11181076&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

06-15-2010, 09:16 AM
It was just a little one! Probably just another aftershock from the BIG one that happened on Easter Sunday.

I actually had fallen asleep on the couch but my wife woke me as it was happening and I was utterly confused waking up to the shaking.

We've actually had 1000's of aftershocks since Easter.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/27.37.-120.-110.php

Edit: Confirmed that it is considered an aftershock to the 7.2 on Easter. Its been crazy since Easter with all the movin' and shakin'! That big quake really woke up this fault line east of San Diego. I wonder how long it is going to stay active like this.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/14/grsq-earthquake-shakes-san-diego/

TDog
06-15-2010, 11:36 AM
My first earthquake -- the first one I noticed anyway, as you don't notice the small ones when you're driving, and I've never been awakened by one -- I was in my living room watching Silent Running with Bruce Dern. As he was going through the rings of Saturn and his spacecraft began shaking violently, the floor beneath me started to roll. Fortunately it was a minor earthquake that enhanced my viewing of the movie, timing being everything.

In the Bay Area, there is a real concern for in-game earthquakes. Because of the high cost of baseball tickets in the Bay Area, I tend to sit in cheap seats higher up and should pay closer attention to the earthquake evaluation instructions they spend time explaining before every A's and Giants game.

downstairs
06-15-2010, 03:34 PM
In the Bay Area, there is a real concern for in-game earthquakes. Because of the high cost of baseball tickets in the Bay Area, I tend to sit in cheap seats higher up and should pay closer attention to the earthquake evaluation instructions they spend time explaining before every A's and Giants game.

They do? Wow. How do they do that and what do they say?

TDog
06-15-2010, 03:47 PM
They do? Wow. How do they do that and what do they say?

I've been to more A's games than Giants games because the White Sox play more often in Oakland, and I'm more familiar with what the A's do. There might be others who can answer the question better than I.

I think it's before the lineups are announced that the public address announcer spends a couple of minutes going over where you should go in case of a disaster such as an earthquake (in case the stadium has to be evacuated, that could apply to a terrorist attack as well). The blocks of sections he is talking about are highlighted on the scoreboard. No one ever seems to be paying attention. I know I never make a mental note of where I am supposed to go.

Medford Bobby
06-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Edit: Confirmed that it is considered an aftershock to the 7.2 on Easter. Its been crazy since Easter with all the movin' and shakin'! That big quake really woke up this fault line east of San Diego. I wonder how long it is going to stay active like this.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/14/grsq-earthquake-shakes-san-diego/

Yes that's the one we felt out here in Arizona too....wonder if another big one is still coming, or will it continue to be a slow trickle of energy released over time?:scratch:

06-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes that's the one we felt out here in Arizona too....wonder if another big one is still coming, or will it continue to be a slow trickle of energy released over time?:scratch:

Thats the thing nobody knows.

GoGoCrede
06-15-2010, 07:20 PM

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100614&content_id=11181076&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

They're not all that cool, especially if you lived through the big Northridge quake in the early 90s. It was more like terrifying.

october23sp
06-15-2010, 07:57 PM
They're not all that cool, especially if you lived through the big Northridge quake in the early 90s. It was more like terrifying.

Well I've never even been through a small one.

GoGoCrede
06-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Well I've never even been through a small one.

Even the small ones are no walk in the park because you wonder if an even bigger one is coming right after it. I imagine it would be even worse if you were in a stadium and people were worrying about getting trampled.

Medford, as for the Big One, they have been predicting it for as long as I can remember, and supposedly it's going to be devastating. Maybe even worse than the Northridge one, which is the one I remember most clearly, even though I was very young.

ChiSoxGirl
06-15-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm leaving for San Diego at noon tomorrow and will be there for ten days. I've already prepared myself for an earthquake.

TDog
06-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Even the small ones are no walk in the park because you wonder if an even bigger one is coming right after it. I imagine it would be even worse if you were in a stadium and people were worrying about getting trampled.

Medford, as for the Big One, they have been predicting it for as long as I can remember, and supposedly it's going to be devastating. Maybe even worse than the Northridge one, which is the one I remember most clearly, even though I was very young.

Earthquakes are scary business, but I've been fortunate enough so far that I haven't been through anything that knocked me off my feet.

I just hope that the Sox aren't on the West Coast for the next big earthquake out here.

I used to live near a fault line on the Arizona border, and the worst earthquake I ever felt turned out not to be an earthquake at all. We were just feeling underground blasting at the Yuma Proving Ground that was going on in the 1990s.

GoGoCrede
06-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Earthquakes are scary business, but I've been fortunate enough so far that I haven't been through anything that knocked me off my feet.

I just hope that the Sox aren't on the West Coast for the next big earthquake out here.

I used to live near a fault line on the Arizona border, and the worst earthquake I ever felt turned out not to be an earthquake at all. We were just feeling underground blasting at the Yuma Proving Ground that was going on in the 1990s.

Were you in California during 1992-1994? Those were the last major earthquakes we had. The memory is still really hard to think about.

TDog
06-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Were you in California during 1992-1994? Those were the last major earthquakes we had. The memory is still really hard to think about.

I was in Yuma, Arizona, across the Colorado River -- it's where Calfornia, Arizona and Mexico converge. I don't remember feeling the one in 1992. I was in Florida playing baseball when the for the big January 1994 earthquake. I understand people could feel it in Yuma, but I rarely felt anything.

I used to call around looking for people who felt something any time there was an earthquake in Arizona, California or northern Mexico. I also did earthquake calls when I was in Alaska, which is more geologically active than California, and Alaska has active volcanoes as well. The Good Friday Earthquake in Anchorage in 1964 was most severe ever recorded in North America. If the earthquake were really bad, though, I'm sure people wouldn't have been talking to me.

06-15-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm leaving for San Diego at noon tomorrow and will be there for ten days. I've already prepared myself for an earthquake.

How is this done? Don't tell me water bottles and granola bars.

ChiSoxGirl
06-15-2010, 11:55 PM

I meant mentally; i.e. I'm expecting one.

GoGoCrede
06-16-2010, 12:01 AM

Finding a suitable doorway to hide under.

michned
06-16-2010, 12:17 AM

This brings back memories of the earthquake in June 2005 while the Sox were playing a series at Petco. Although it was in the morning before the park started filling up for the game.

It wasn't that big, but it's the only earthquake I've ever experienced. It felt like a large piece of construction equipment slammed into the side of our hotel.

TDog
06-16-2010, 12:47 AM
This brings back memories of the earthquake in June 2005 while the Sox were playing a series at Petco. Although it was in the morning before the park started filling up for the game.

It wasn't that big, but it's the only earthquake I've ever experienced. It felt like a large piece of construction equipment slammed into the side of our hotel.

Of course, the White Sox were in New York for a series with the Yankees the morning of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. But, obviously, that's not the same thing.

voodoochile
06-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Never experienced an earthquake (though I expect that to change in the future), but I was in Kansas City in late 1988 when a large explosion went off at a work site. Actually two of them did. I was in training for a restaurant management gig and was sharing a hotel room with two other trainees. One guy was in the single bedroom and he woke up when the first explosion rocked the area and caused the apartment complex to shake. He walked into the other bedroom with the two beds where the other trainee and I were crashed and asked, "did you feel that?" He woke us both up and no, we didn't feel it, but 45 minutes later a second explosion went off which blew up a firetruck that had responded killing all 6 crew members (at the time it was the worst firefighter accident in US history, IIRC) and that tremor did wake all of us up.

I remember when I woke up to the second tremor the very first thing I did was say, "I felt THAT one." We had no idea what had happened until much later in the day when the news rolled in and thought we'd been in a minor earthquake.

http://www3.gendisasters.com/missouri/6535/kansas-city-mo-ammonium-nitrate-explosion-nov-1988

LITTLE NELL
06-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Cool? I don't think so. About as cool as hurricanes which I have experienced many times here in Florida.