C- Carlton Fisk
SS- Dale Sveum

Final Score: Sox 6 Yankees 2

WP: Alex Fernandez
LP: Scott Kamenicki
HR: Ventura (11)

Bucktown
06-20-2002, 09:52 PM
I think that earthquake might have knocked something loose. What is the point of this post?

MattSharp
06-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Yea I don't know what the heck this is about, but of the 20 guys there, only like 6 of them still paly in the Majors....

sox_fan_forever
06-20-2002, 09:55 PM
It's not just you...I'm rather confused also.

:?:

RKMeibalane
06-20-2002, 10:07 PM
I decided to post about that game because I have it on tape, and I was watching it earlier. Some strange things happened during the course of the game that brought back some memories.

For example:

Randy Velarde singled to rightfield in the sixth inning. Danny Pasqua made a terrible throw back into the infield that Frank couldn't get to. The ball was headed into the Yankees dugout, but Carlton Fisk was able to get to it before it rolled down the steps and threw out Velarde at third.

Robin Ventura's homerun in the seond inning was his fourth against the Yankees that season. He finished with sixteen homeruns for the year.

Wilson Alverez was shown warming in the bullpen during this game, along with Bobby Thigpen. Does anyone have any idea why he was in the 'pen and not in the starting rotation at this point?

This was back when the batter's eye was still blue. There were no plants located in center field. Also, there was no bullpen in left, as there is now. The fences were also deeper in some areas of the park, as this was before the renovations began.

The stadium was packed on this night. This was, of course, before Reinsdorf made an ass of himself during the 1994 strike.

The White Sox did not have their names on their home uniforms. They continued with this practice until 1997, IIRC.

I didn't mean to bore anyone. I was thinking about days gone by, and I wanted to know if any of you remembered anything about this particular season, since it was ten years ago.

ISUSoxfan
06-20-2002, 10:09 PM
I believe that was the last year the Sox had a really good manager, Jeff Torburg.

cheeses_h_rice
06-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Interesting.

I had no idea Bernie Williams was on the team that far back; I assumed he came up in '94 or '95.

That was when the Yankees were definitely nothin' to write home about...(aka the good old days).

nut_stock
06-20-2002, 11:31 PM
Maybe he posted it because it was my 11th Birthday!! It's always nice to know the Sox won on my birthday.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
I believe that was the last year the Sox had a really good manager, Jeff Torburg.

Actually, the Sox were managed by Gene Lamont in '92. Torborg was managing the Mets. He was fired in May of 1993 and was replaced by Dallas Green. The Mets were 72-90 in 1992 and 59-103 in 1993.

WinningUgly!
06-21-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Wilson Alverez was shown warming in the bullpen during this game, along with Bobby Thigpen. Does anyone have any idea why he was in the 'pen and not in the starting rotation at this point?

Alvarez only started 9 games that year, in 34 appearances. He didn't become a regular starter until 1993. The rotation in '92 was McDowell, McCaskill, Fernandez, Hibbard & Hough.

Iwritecode
06-21-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Maybe he posted it because it was my 11th Birthday!! It's always nice to know the Sox won on my birthday.

That was exactly 4 years before my first daughter was born. You two share a birthdate. :smile:

Daver
06-21-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

That was exactly 4 years before my first daughter was born. You two share a birthdate. :smile:

Wildchild also shares a birthday with your daughter,for what it is worth.

DVG
06-21-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I decided to post about that game because I have it on tape, and I was watching it earlier. Some strange things happened during the course of the game that brought back some memories.

For example:

Randy Velarde singled to rightfield in the sixth inning. Danny Pasqua made a terrible throw back into the infield that Frank couldn't get to. The ball was headed into the Yankees dugout, but Carlton Fisk was able to get to it before it rolled down the steps and threw out Velarde at third.

Robin Ventura's homerun in the seond inning was his fourth against the Yankees that season. He finished with sixteen homeruns for the year.

This was back when the batter's eye was still blue. There were no plants located in center field. Also, there was no bullpen in left, as there is now. The fences were also deeper in some areas of the park, as this was before the renovations began.

The stadium was packed on this night. This was, of course, before Reinsdorf made an ass of himself during the 1994 strike.

The White Sox did not have their names on their home uniforms. They continued with this practice until 1997, IIRC.

I didn't mean to bore anyone. I was thinking about days gone by, and I wanted to know if any of you remembered anything about this particular season, since it was ten years ago.

I have a couple of games from 1991 featuring Sammy Sosa. It's
fun to see what a skinny runt he was back then.

mrwag
06-21-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Alvarez only started 9 games that year, in 34 appearances. He didn't become a regular starter until 1993. The rotation in '92 was McDowell, McCaskill, Fernandez, Hibbard & Hough.

Wow, what ever happened to Greg Hibbard, a.k.a. "The Little Bulldog". He had some stones... Didn't we loose him to the Rockies expansion draft?

Oh yea, and wasn't McDowell on with Rooney and Farmer the other night?

hold2dibber
06-21-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock

Or because it was my 25th birthday! :)

TornLabrum
06-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Wow, what ever happened to Greg Hibbard, a.k.a. "The Little Bulldog". He had some stones... Didn't we loose him to the Rockies expansion draft?

The Rockies immediately traded him to the Cubs. I'm not sure what happened after that, but he hurt his arm somewhere along the way and was out of baseball by the mid-'90s.

He was the pitching coach for the Northern League's Schaumburg Flyers for the past couple of years, and this year he holds the same position for the Joliet Jackhammers of the same league.

Iwritecode
06-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Or because it was my 25th birthday! :)

Well, that's four birthday's on August 14 now. Anyone else?

zach23
06-21-2002, 01:11 PM
I remember August 14, 1992. It was a warm evening. I remember seeing Gary Coleman dressed like an elf being tossed up and down by two large women wearing floral bedsheets. A man resembling Kiefer Sutherland with 4 inch finger nails was eating a bowl of Ramen Noodles and singing Bob Dylan songs. On the floor was a bottle of Ol' Grandad. Just as the parade of clowns juggling silly putty entered the room, I passed out......................................

Wonder where those clowns are now and if that bottle had anything left in it?