PDA

View Full Version : If Guillen is fired

Rockabilly
06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I would love to see Don Mattingly be his replacement.

Who are your choices to replace Guillen?

FielderJones
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I did not realize Don Mattingly was interested in coming into this situation.

Hitmen77
06-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Does he need to shave his sideburns to come here?

pythons007
06-14-2010, 01:37 PM

LOL....classic!

DumpJerry
06-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I hear Piniella will be available next year.

LITTLE NELL
06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Carlton Fisk is my choice, I know it won't happen but if owned the club it would happen.

Dirty30
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Dave Martinez. Bench coach for the Tampa Bay Rays would be my pick.

kaufsox
06-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Carlton Fisk is my choice, I know it won't happen but if owned the club it would happen.

Has Fisk coached at any level? I can't recall if he has, but I don't think so. I would rather have someone who has at least done something on the coaching/managerial level. Be kind of fun on sociological level to hire Ryne Sandburg, but I think it would create such a confusion vortex in the city that we may all implode.

Rockabilly
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Dave Martinez. Bench coach for the Tampa Bay Rays would be my pick.

also a great choice

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Tony La Russa comes back.

russ99
06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Knowing Jerry's affinity for not paying coaches it would likely be Joey Cora or Chris Chambliss.

But Ozzie's got 2 more years on his deal, so there's no way Jerry fires him. The only chance we're talking about this in November is if he leaves to take the Florida or Atlanta job.

I'd say there's a better chance Rick Hahn is the GM next year and that most of the coaching staff is fired.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Knowing Jerry's affinity for not paying coaches it would likely be Joey Cora or Chris Chambliss.

But Ozzie's got 2 more years on his deal, so there's no way Jerry fires him. The only chance we're talking about this in November is if he leaves to take the Florida or Atlanta job.

I'd say there's a better chance Rick Hahn is the GM next year and that most of the coaching staff is fired.

If Kenny leaves as GM I would have to imagine Ozzie is going too. I don't think you could fire most of the coaching staff and expect Ozzie to stay as well, but maybe that's their way of getting him to quit.

thomas35forever
06-14-2010, 03:15 PM

LOL....classic!
JR could make him do that and he'd still like him better than Steinbrenner.

sox1970
06-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Tony La Russa comes back.

That would suck.

soltrain21
06-14-2010, 03:17 PM

Ozzie replacing Bobby Cox would be one of the most hilarious things to ever happen.

soxfanreggie
06-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Has Fisk coached at any level? I can't recall if he has, but I don't think so. I would rather have someone who has at least done something on the coaching/managerial level. Be kind of fun on sociological level to hire Ryne Sandburg, but I think it would create such a confusion vortex in the city that we may all implode.

Volunteer assistant coach at Illinois State, but it was when his son Casey played here.

eriqjaffe
06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Dave Martinez. Bench coach for the Tampa Bay Rays would be my pick.Y'know, I remember him playing for the Sox for a few years, but when I checked him out on Baseball Reference, I had no idea he hung around long enough to accumulate 1,599 career hits.

slavko
06-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Almost zero chance of Jerry firing the guy who provided him with the greatest moment of his life. Two years left, one year left, macht nicht. Ozzie leaving for another job or just leaving? Plenty of chance.

bestkosher
06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
MLBtraderumors is quoting (a source) saying that Kenny wants to fire Guillen but Jerry is to loyal to allow it.

DirtySox
06-14-2010, 03:52 PM
MLBtraderumors is quoting (a source) saying that Kenny wants to fire Guillen but Jerry is to loyal to allow it.

Inmate running the asylum etc.

getonbckthr
06-14-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't want Ozzie fired, however if it happens give me Ryne Sanberg or future free agent Joe Girardi.

VMSNS
06-14-2010, 04:00 PM

If this is true, then it's very unfortunate. This would be an instance where Jerry is too loyal for his own good. This may also burn a bridge between KW and JR. JR is probably a little peeved at KW for trying to fire one of "his" guys that he's loyal to. Unfortunately, Kenny may be the one being shown the door, not Ozzie.

2005 is over. The honeymoon is over. There should be no more free passes for anyone, including coaches. I REALLY hope JR realizes this.

DumpJerry
06-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Didn't the Bulls give their new coach a pretty lucrative deal?

If Kenny leaves as GM I would have to imagine Ozzie is going too. I don't think you could fire most of the coaching staff and expect Ozzie to stay as well, but maybe that's their way of getting him to quit.
Kenny is not leaving. The most likely scenario is Kenny is promoted to a different, and higher, Vice President level and Hahn is made GM. Currently, Kenny is Senior VP/General Manager and Hahn is VP/Assistant GM.

Ozzie is staying unless he wants to leave.

LITTLE NELL
06-14-2010, 06:56 PM

When you are a catcher for as long as Fisk was, it is as good as coaching or managing. This guy knows his baseball and would take no BS, ask Deion Sanders.

PS The best manager the Sox ever had was a catcher and was the best handler of pitchers I ever saw; Senor Al Lopez.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Didn't the Bulls give their new coach a pretty lucrative deal?

This statement reminded me of something that has now pissed me off more.

In the Krause/Jackson squabble, Reinsdorf chose wrong by siding with Krause.

If the reports are true, Jerry again is choosing wrong by siding with Ozzie over Kenny. (KW should be kicked upstairs to team president, Hahn made GM, and Ozzie/Walker/Cora fired.)

Reinsdorf values loyalty over merit in the ultimate performance-based businesses.

Craig Grebeck
06-14-2010, 07:25 PM
If Hahn becomes GM I can't imagine he'll retain Guillen. If his hands are tied that much, he shouldn't take the job.

DirtySox
06-14-2010, 07:26 PM
If Hahn becomes GM I can't imagine he'll retain Guillen. If his hands are tied that much, he shouldn't take the job.

Indeed. I fear Hahn becomes Ozzie puppet # 2.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2010, 07:27 PM

You seem to have some insight on Hahn. If given the power to choose his own manager, who do you think he'd hire?

Craig Grebeck
06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
You seem to have some insight on Hahn. If given the power to choose his own manager, who do you think he'd hire?
I'm not sure. Dave Martinez wouldn't surprise me. If the team goes for an ex-manager, Alan Trammell wouldn't shock me.

Managerial hires are often pretty unpredictable.

TDog
06-14-2010, 07:37 PM
When you are a catcher for as long as Fisk was, it is as good as coaching or managing. This guy knows his baseball and would take no BS, ask Deion Sanders.

PS The best manager the Sox ever had was a catcher and was the best handler of pitchers I ever saw; Senor Al Lopez.

And his pitching coach with the Sox was a catcher. Ray Berres was probably the best pitching coach the White Sox ever had.

Suggesting Fisk as a manager, however, ignores that he might not be interested in managing and that even if he is a catcher who did a lot of pseudo-coaching during his playing days as a catcher, some strange ideas about handling pitchers and making lineups might surface if he were to actually manage.

Look at former catcher Ned Yost. He talked a great game. Apparently he interviews very well. But I don't think anyone could fault the Brewers for firing him in September in the heat of a pennant race.

Guillen isn't going anywhere.

But it would be funny to see him become the next Mets manager.

Lillian
06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Allow me to speculate about all of this with a completely different hypothesis.
Consider the following:
1) Baseball is after all entertainment
2) Jerry Reinsdorf is a pretty smart owner
3) There is intense competition between the Sox and Cubs for the Chicago baseball entertainment dollar.
4) There is this MLB.COM reality show being produced featuring the White Sox.
5) Ozzie has always been regarded as a very entertaining personality, and not above theatrics
I recall the video of A.J. and the mock fight with a professional wrestler during Spring Training, a couple of years ago, in which Ozzie participated by hitting the guy with a folding chair.

What if the producers of MLB.COM suggested to the Sox that they could generate a lot of interest and publicity if they staged a big riff between Ozzie and Kenny? Jerry Reinsdorf, though reluctant to go along, decided it would be worth the publicity.

Such a scenario would explain how a smart business man like Reinsdorf would tolerate such behavior without stepping in and firing someone. If this is not an act, then there are a lot of people here who are bigger idiots than we think. Ozzie would have to be an idiot for allowing his sons to cause so much controversy. Kenny Williams would have to be an idiot for not exercising some self restraint, and for allowing Ozzie to usurp his responsibilities and control.
Ozzie’s family would all have to be idiots for creating such a scene and jeopardizing Ozzie’s professional career. After all none of this would look good on his resume, if it were real, and if he ever intends to get another managing job in the Big Leagues.

Put yourself in the position of any of these people. Knowing that this is all going to be depicted in the MLB.COM show, wouldn't you be putting on your best behavior, unless of course, it were all contrived? They may all be having a big laugh together over this whole thing.
Maybe we're the idiots here by falling for this stunt.

“I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’‘.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
And his pitching coach with the Sox was a catcher. Ray Berres was probably the best pitching coach the White Sox ever had.

Suggesting Fisk as a manager, however, ignores that he might not be interested in managing and that even if he is a catcher who did a lot of pseudo-coaching during his playing days as a catcher, some strange ideas about handling pitchers and making lineups might surface if he were to actually manage.

Look at former catcher Ned Yost. He talked a great game. Apparently he interviews very well. But I don't think anyone could fault the Brewers for firing him in September in the heat of a pennant race.

Guillen isn't going anywhere.

But it would be funny to see him become the next Mets manager.

I could easily see Ozzie becoming the Mets manager if he is fired at the end of this season. That team is trying to build a strong Latino fan base and Ozzie could help them in that department. I also think that is the kind of team Ozzie would like to manage.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Ozzie becomes a Billy Martin like manager, gives the team a kick in the butt to get them over the hump but then guys start tuning him out or he runs afoul of the front office.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Allow me to speculate about all of this with a completely different hypothesis.
Consider the following:
1) Baseball is after all entertainment
2) Jerry Reinsdorf is a pretty smart owner
3) There is intense competition between the Sox and Cubs for the Chicago baseball entertainment dollar.
4) There is this MLB.COM reality show being produced featuring the White Sox.
5) Ozzie has always been regarded as a very entertaining personality, and not above theatrics
I recall the video of A.J. and the mock fight with a professional wrestler during Spring Training, a couple of years ago, in which Ozzie participated by hitting the guy with a folding chair.

What if the producers of MLB.COM suggested to the Sox that they could generate a lot of interest and publicity if they staged a big riff between Ozzie and Kenny? Jerry Reinsdorf, though reluctant to go along, decided it would be worth the publicity.

Such a scenario would explain how a smart business man like Reinsdorf would tolerate such behavior without stepping in and firing someone. If this is not an act, then there are a lot of people here who are bigger idiots than we think. Ozzie would have to be an idiot for allowing his sons to cause so much controversy. Kenny Williams would have to be an idiot for not exercising some self restraint, and for allowing Ozzie to usurp his responsibilities and control.
Ozzie’s family would all have to be idiots for creating such a scene and jeopardizing Ozzie’s professional career. After all none of this would look good on his resume, if it were real, and if he ever intends to get another managing job in the Big Leagues.
Maybe we are all the idiots here for falling for this stunt.

“I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’‘.

Yea, that's not what is going on. This has been simmering since 2008 when Ozzie had that rant in Tampa and Kenny, for whatever reason, took it as a shot directed at him.

Lillian
06-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Yea, that's not what is going on. This has been simmering since 2008 when Ozzie had that rant in Tampa and Kenny, for whatever reason, took it as a shot directed at him.

Perhaps you're right. However, if you are, these people are all idiots.
It's bad enough to behave like they're behaving, but to do so when you know that your actions are all going to be chronicled on a show is really stupid. The longer it goes on, especially with no one getting fired or resigning, the more suspicious I am that this is a stunt.

Craig Grebeck
06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Perhaps you're right. However, if you are, these people are all idiots.
It's bad enough to behave like they're behaving, but to do so when you know that your actions are all going to be chronicled on a show is really stupid. The longer it goes on, especially with no one getting fired or resigning, the more suspicious I am that this is a stunt.
Certainly not out of the question.

FielderJones
06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Certainly not out of the question.

Reinsdorf is the most successful sports franchise owner in Chicago history. I think idiocy is out of the question.

tstrike2000
06-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Ugh.

michned
06-14-2010, 10:22 PM

I've never been a conspiracy theorist, but I think playing up the Kenny-Ozzie discord right smack in the middle of this "reality" show is completely plausible.

Craig Grebeck
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Reinsdorf is the most successful sports franchise owner in Chicago history. I think idiocy is out of the question.
Agree to disagree.

Brian26
06-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Agree to disagree.

Who tops him?

soltrain21
06-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Ugh.

Chicago Tough!

Brian26
06-14-2010, 10:36 PM

Considering how surly Fisk was 20 years ago, I cannot imagine a scenario where he comes back, after being out of the game for 17 years, and is able to connect with today's players.

Craig Grebeck
06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Who tops him?
I don't dispute he's the most successful, I disagree that idiocy is out of the question.

russ99
06-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Indeed. I fear Hahn becomes Ozzie puppet # 2.

Funny. Who's Ozzie puppet #1?

You guys are unbelievable. He's the manager, not the secret team president. He has input on personnel decisions, but the decisions are made by the person paid to do so, the President of Baseball Operations/GM.

As for this year, the only real gripe is him playing Kotsay too much, but he can only work with the players he has.

Kenny kept Jenks, traded for (and signed) Teahen, re-signed Kotsay, signed Jones, traded for Pierre and signed Vizquel. He also underbid on Matsui and wouldn't pony up for Damon.

Ozzie didnt do any of those things. He only (smartly) said that he couldn't see how Thome would get enough playing time. I can see how some would have a problem with that, but would Thome (.235, 5HR) have really made a difference?

Domeshot17
06-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Funny. Who's Ozzie puppet #1?

You guys are unbelievable. He's the manager, not the secret team president. He has input on personnel decisions, but the decisions are made by the person paid to do so, the President of Baseball Operations/GM.

As for this year, the only real gripe is him playing Kotsay too much, but he can only work with the players he has.

Kenny kept Jenks, traded for (and signed) Teahen, re-signed Kotsay, signed Jones, traded for Pierre and signed Vizquel. He also underbid on Matsui and wouldn't pony up for Damon.

Ozzie didnt do any of those things. He only (smartly) said that he couldn't see how Thome would get enough playing time. I can see how some would have a problem with that, but would Thome (.235, 5HR) have really made a difference?

You totally ignore the fact that right around Sox Fest, right after Thome was a no go, Ozzie said he would not welcome a DH, and he was 100% set on his platoon. He said if they pick someone up they won't be the full time DH. It was to the point Kenny finally came out and said He would let ozzie have the team he wanted, but changes would be made if it did not work. Ozzie probably has more influence on the 25 man roster then any other manager in baseball.

Add to the fact Ozzie preaches fundamentals every year, his teams are never fundamentally good, he fueds with more of his players then any other manager in baseball, he bad mouths the team, threatens to quit once a month and he is a bad in game manager, I just think it is time for a change. The only A+ attribute Ozzie had as a manager is as a motivator, and he has clearly lost that.

Plus, has any other manager's kids been a bigger distraction in baseball? The only other one I can think of is when Dusty Baker's little son ran on the field in SF and almost got ran over at home plate.

TDog
06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Considering how surly Fisk was 20 years ago, I cannot imagine a scenario where he comes back, after being out of the game for 17 years, and is able to connect with today's players.

I tend to agree with this. I've never met Carlton Fisk, but I've talked to former players who were both in and outside of his circle. It is likely he wouldn't take any garbage as a manager, but to fans, his actions might take on appearance of apathy toward winning.

Some people seem to want a drill instructor making demands on players that they know they have to fulfill. The last manager the White Sox had with that sort of approach was Terry Bevington, and that didn't work out as planned.

It really doesn't matter who you are. If you have no managerial experience, you're an unknown quantity. In the 1970s, Dave Baum had a nightly talk show on WIND, and was campaigning for the Sox to fire Chuck Tanner and hire Maury Wills, who had no managerial experience. Baum figured Wills would make a great manager judging from the way he played and his knowledge of the game. That was before Wills managed in Mexico and lobbied hard to be hired to lead a major league team.

The Mariners finally hired Wills in 1980. He turned out to be worse at the job than Terry Bevington. Bill James has called Wills baseball's all-time worst manager.

areilly
06-15-2010, 12:35 PM

He's brought some titles to Chicago, no question but, with all due respect to the McCaskeys and the Tribune Company, it doesn't take a whole lot to be the most successful sports franchise owner in Chicago history, either.

(That said, I believe Halas still has the edge by one pre-Super Bowl NFL champsionship.)

Red Barchetta
06-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I could easily see Ozzie becoming the Mets manager if he is fired at the end of this season. That team is trying to build a strong Latino fan base and Ozzie could help them in that department. I also think that is the kind of team Ozzie would like to manage.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Ozzie becomes a Billy Martin like manager, gives the team a kick in the butt to get them over the hump but then guys start tuning him out or he runs afoul of the front office.

I see Ozzie going to Miami and being part of the next generation Marlins as they open the new ballpark in 2012.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Ozzie Guillen = Mike Ditka

Lillian
06-16-2010, 11:33 AM
I've been thinking more about the question I raised earlier in this thread regarding the legitimacy of all of the "soap opera" like nonsense being reported.
If very little of this stuff appears in the soon to be aired MLB.Com, I might give it some credence. However, if this is all depicted and played up in the program , then I will be even more suspicious that a lot of it is being done as a publicity stunt.
That would especially be my reaction if the cameras captured a lot of it.
As I said, you would think that everyone would have tried to be on their best behavior, knowing that their words and actions might appear in the program. If the cameras were present and rolling, that should have provided a very strong motivation for Kenny, and Ozzie, as well as his wife and sons, to put their best foot forward.

It will be interesting to see exactly how this is all depicted, but not because of the soap opera drama, but because if just might provide insight into how real it is.

slavko
06-16-2010, 01:55 PM
I once talked to a suburban school superintendent who thought that people who graduated at the top of their class didn't make good teachers because they couldn't relate to the average student. True or false, the same might be said of Hall of Famers.

But if Carlton decides that he wants to manage his team, he should get on the phone to Boston right away.

ernie14
06-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Bobby Valentine!!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Although Carlton Fisk sounds cool. Does he want to manage? Don't recall him ever mentioning it.

Not everybody wants the responsibility. George Brett and Johnny Bench
always said they would never want the responsibility.

Ryne Sandberg? Yeah, Equipment manager maybe. I hate that guy.
Cub fans don't even like him.

Bobby V. Carlton Fisk - good choices

HomeFish
06-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Bobby Valentine and Tony LaRussa are the two options I've read in this thread that don't make me cringe.

guillensdisciple
06-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Ozzie is not getting fired. I was listening to the radio this morning and they were mentioning how in any other squad Ozzie would have been fired already. The fact remains that he holds more power than Kenny does in this organization. No way a person can argue with the GM and have his word trump everything.

Ozzie is the head of this club and it will be that way.

Horsemaster Fred
06-19-2010, 06:54 PM
The planet does not know true disgrace lest this trangression against all Value happen. Who could call themselfs a man and gain Honor, with OZZIE G left out in the cold like a rotten fruit? And what nothing has this man done but gain Champions and reign upon phariseez (cubz man) and using the f word which you know you appreciate even if you resist. A crime, to even talk of OZZIE G in this regard IMHO and makes it like the last ten years didnt even happen, tow my boat, raise my resistance but don't shoot around a fireball like this even if your a wizard and you like it. GO OZZIE G:angry::angry:

cws05champ
06-19-2010, 07:28 PM
The planet does not know true disgrace lest this trangression against all Value happen. Who could call themselfs a man and gain Honor, with OZZIE G left out in the cold like a rotten fruit? And what nothing has this man done but gain Champions and reign upon phariseez (cubz man) and using the f word which you know you appreciate even if you resist. A crime, to even talk of OZZIE G in this regard IMHO and makes it like the last ten years didnt even happen, tow my boat, raise my resistance but don't shoot around a fireball like this even if your a wizard and you like it. GO OZZIE G:angry::angry:
Uhhhhh....What? :dunno:

A. Cavatica
06-19-2010, 09:13 PM
the planet does not know true disgrace lest this trangression against all value happen. Who could call themselfs a man and gain honor, with ozzie g left out in the cold like a rotten fruit? And what nothing has this man done but gain champions and reign upon phariseez (cubz man) and using the f word which you know you appreciate even if you resist. A crime, to even talk of ozzie g in this regard imho and makes it like the last ten years didnt even happen, tow my boat, raise my resistance but don't shoot around a fireball like this even if your a wizard and you like it. Go ozzie g:angry::angry:

potw!

Boondock Saint
06-19-2010, 09:32 PM

Holy crap, it's the Horsemaster!!!

hi im skot
06-19-2010, 10:15 PM
the planet does not know true disgrace lest this trangression against all value happen. Who could call themselfs a man and gain honor, with ozzie g left out in the cold like a rotten fruit? And what nothing has this man done but gain champions and reign upon phariseez (cubz man) and using the f word which you know you appreciate even if you resist. A crime, to even talk of ozzie g in this regard imho and makes it like the last ten years didnt even happen, tow my boat, raise my resistance but don't shoot around a fireball like this even if your a wizard and you like it. Go ozzie g:angry::angry:

**** and yes!

THIS IS THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-20-2010, 01:36 AM

Words can not describe how happy I am right now.

Mohoney
06-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Tim McCarver is right. This division is won.