PDA

View Full Version : Sox are not done yet!

konerko 14
06-13-2010, 02:45 PM
The Sox have a four game winning streak going.In the past 4 games the Sox have gained 2 games on the Twins, they've looked much better in those games, They have the Pirates and Nationals coming up after the Cubs, and there's no way Jon Rauch can keep up being the closer for the Twins. The starting pitching is starting to look like everyone thought it would in spring training. So don't give up just yet :smile:

bridgeportcopper
06-13-2010, 02:47 PM
AND....Twinkies are down 6 to nothing today! Win tonight and it's 6.5 back!

konerko 14
06-13-2010, 02:48 PM
AND....Twinkies are down 6 to nothing today! Win tonight and it's 6.5 back!

:):)

DonnieDarko
06-13-2010, 02:51 PM
God, this team is so schizophrenic.

And a part of me is loving it. At least it's making things interesting. :D

TomBradley72
06-13-2010, 02:56 PM
And THIS is the reason baseball has me so hooked. I've been pissed at this team all year...went to the game Thursday, had a great time, the last 2 days have been fun....and now I'm feeling some optimism.

Twins have been .500, our starting pitching seems to be coming back, Jenks has a <3.00 ERA over the past month, if we can add a little offense, we can compete.

balke
06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I got excited near the end of May when the Sox were 6.5 back... I'm going to stay reserved this time.

Baby steps. Play strong - and hope to get within 5 by the end of June.

Jpgr91
06-13-2010, 03:00 PM
The Sox have a four game winning streak going.In the past 4 games the Sox have gained 2 games on the Twins, they've looked much better in those games, They have the Pirates and Nationals coming up after the Cubs, and there's no way Jon Rauch can keep up being the closer for the Twins. The starting pitching is starting to look like everyone thought it would in spring training. So don't give up just yet :smile:

The Twins have to face Jimenez, Hamels, and Halladay in their next 6 games. The Sox season will be decided in the next week.

sox1970
06-13-2010, 03:04 PM
The interleague portion of the schedule is must-win. AL teams have to go at least 10-8 to not lose too much ground. If the Twins get cold the next two weeks, and the Sox end up 12-6 in interleague, it will get the Sox right back in it.

Huisj
06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
The Sox season will be decided in the next week.

The problem is, I think this same thing was said by many a few weeks ago about the upcoming weeks (meaning the time that has passed since then). It's hard to decide a 6 month season in a week in May or June.

Jpgr91
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
The problem is, I think this same thing was said by many a few weeks ago about the upcoming weeks (meaning the time that has passed since then). It's hard to decide a 6 month season in a week in May or June.

This is really their last shot. Including today's game, it is very possible that the Twins go 3 - 4 in their next 7. If the Sox can win 5 out of their next 7 they will only be 5.5 games back. If the Sox remain 7 games out after the next 7 games, there is virtually no shot of the Sox ever catching the Twins.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I will wait until they are back to .500 before getting excited.

Win tonight is a must to keep momentum IMO.

kufram
06-13-2010, 03:29 PM
The thing is that one can imagine all these scenarios that will make/break the season but the reality is that no one knows what will happen. No one is eliminated from any race yet and won't be for a long time, nor has anyone clinched a division. Things have looked dark and could again, but not so much today.

It has been my opinion that this team simply couldn't continue to play as badly as they had for much longer. The law of averages just wouldn't allow it. The only thing that really worried me was when PK looked like he was slumping and AJ's body language looked defeated. He threw one ball 20 yards into centerfield and then seemed to shrug his shoulders as if it didn't matter. Now PK is delivering and AJ has a little more AJ-ness.

I'm not saying we're going to win anything but there was no reason to give up. Now the team suddenly looks like they think they can do the things that win games and that's when you win games. Pierre's slide into second actually won the game yesterday. Where did he get that from? Buehrle suddenly becoming Buehrle doesn't hurt either.

The only thing I'm doing now is going game to game, day to day. The only thing we need to do is win the game TODAY. Sure is a lot more fun when you win though, eh?

Hitmen77
06-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Like someone else said on WSI yesterday, playing against the NL is fools gold for the Sox in the post-2005 era. They look half-way decent against weaker teams.....then reality hits when we have to go back to playing against the big boys.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Like someone else said on WSI yesterday, playing against the NL is fools gold for the Sox in the post-2005 era. They look half-way decent against weaker teams.....then reality hits when we have to go back to playing against the big boys.

Although the Sox have played like **** vs the bad teams in the AL too.

So beating up bad NL teams to me is a good sign that at least they can play to the level of their competition.

bridgeportcopper
06-13-2010, 03:37 PM

Hey, lets not forget, barring a verrrry rare Matt thornton meltdown we would have swept Detroit too. They are not exactly considered weak NL competition. Lets hammer the **** out of Ted Lilly tonight!

hawkjt
06-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Sox do face Strasberg next Friday,but maybe he will have that wild streak and we can squeeze out a few runs and MB can fool'em again.

Here comes the rain...what does tonite look like for forecast.

I want to keep playing right now, Cubs in a funk,Sox not so much.

PK is on fire,as is Alex.
Juan has been pesky.
AJ showing signs of life.

Not gonna give up yet.
Wish we did not get Atlanta next week,but at least it is at home.
Sox play 26 games before all star break:

4-cubs
6-KC
4-Anaheim
3-Bucs
3-Braves
3-Nats
3 Tex

26 games to cut into 7.5 game lead...by at least 3-4 games to get into it.
If they are 5 games or less when this stretch is over...we have a pulse.
How bout they go 16-10 and are 44-43 at that point? Unless the Twins get hot, with 13 more games vs the Sox..they can be caught.

harwar
06-13-2010, 03:51 PM
yea, we have to sweep the cubs and pirates and win the series with the braves and nats .. the team gets used to winning and believe they are good and you never know what might happen .. a lot of these players have been just awful for two months .. i don't think that most of them are as bad as they've been playing .. maybe it's time to prove it ..

konerko 14
06-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Twins lose 7-3 :bandance:

doublem23
06-13-2010, 04:22 PM
I honestly don't think the Sox can win their division, BUT, it's nice that they're at least sort of staying in the race. I've never had a worse summer than 2007, when baseball was absolutely unwatchable.

cws05champ
06-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I honestly don't think the Sox can win their division, BUT, it's nice that they're at least sort of staying in the race. I've never had a worse summer than 2007, when baseball was absolutely unwatchable.
I don't think they will win this year either...but I'm hoping for a surprise. A week ago I was ready to fold up shop and trade a few guys off to get younger and better. Not so much because they were 8-9 games out (because you can still come back from that, look at the Indians in 2005), but because of the way they were playing. The players did not seem to have any fire or confidence whatsoever and the individual performances were sub par at best.

Maybe this team has turned the corner. Maybe playing the Cubs will jump start this team. Maybe the law of averages will kick in for players like Beckham, AJ, Peavy, Floyd etc. Maybe....

WhiteSox1989
06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Ugh. I hate this team for giving me hope again.

GoGoCrede
06-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm such a sucker. They've pulled me in again. At the very least, let's hope they keep the summer interesting.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2010, 09:52 PM
These threads are becoming a complete jinx.

Let's please wait for this team to reach .500 before starting another one.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Yea this team has looked bad, but any day now (may even have started 5 or so days ago) this teams pitching can pick it up to the expected levels, and the Sox could go on a run.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2008-schedule-scores.shtml
see June 10th ^^^^

The Twins were 6 games back, lost 6 games in a row, and under .500, and we all know what happened in 2008. We were 2 runs away from being just 6.5 games back today, and that one game difference doesn't mean much when were talking about almost 100 games of baseball left this season.

I just wanted to remind you guys that the Twins looked bad in 2008, not much better than we do this year, and made a run and caught us in the end. 7.5 games back is no big deal, and the Twins are starting to fall to earth. They broke out in this division because their pitching started off hot, and that's the only reason they are so far ahead. If the Sox play to the expectations some (most of) people had this off-season, we could get back in this. It's not likely, but DEFINITELY not impossible. The Twins got 10 in a row in 2008... why not us this year if our pitching can be this great?

The posts that the season is over and the team is full of bums and everyone sucks and we wont make the play-offs for 10 years, blabla blabla are getting annoying considering no lead is safe in this division. Please don't attack me with opinions... though I don't care if you give them. I kind of want to know who hasn't given up?

hi im skot
06-13-2010, 10:01 PM
We really need more threads like this.

The only place this team is going is a swap meet.

thomas35forever
06-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah maybe they're not done, but they're not doing anything to get my hopes up right now.

soltrain21
06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
The 2005 and 2008 Astros and Twins don't have anything to do with the Sox whatsoever.

If the Sox can get to within 4-5 games by the end of June I'll think they should keep people around. That's probably not going to happen.

hi im skot
06-13-2010, 10:07 PM

The thread isn't a jinx; the team just isn't very good.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-13-2010, 10:10 PM
The thread isn't a jinx; the team just isn't very good."...the team just isn't very good [yet]." <<fixed :wink:

voodoochile
06-13-2010, 10:16 PM

What is this Jinx you speak of? Maybe someone just didn't allow a goat into the ballpark and that's what caused the Sox to lose...:rolleyes:

Dan H
06-13-2010, 11:07 PM

I don't believe in anything like a jinx. Superstitions are for Cubs fans. But I think the team has to get to .500 before we can scoreboard watch or have any hope. And nearly getting no-hit does little for the optimism department.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-13-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't believe in anything like a jinx. Superstitions are for Cubs fans. But I think the team has to get to .500 before we can scoreboard watch or have any hope. And nearly getting no-hit does little for the optimism department.We also nearly no-hit the opposition? Pitching is what has done us in this entire season, and it looked good today.