PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Stupidity: The Pirates AGAIN?

Whitesox029
06-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Now, I'm certainly not complaining, because we're 8-4 against them since '06, but this is the 5th year in a row the Sox will have a series with the Pirates. For comparison, the Sox have only met Milwaukee (2009) and St. Louis (2006) once each since interleague play started rotating for non-regional games in 2002 (the first year we saw any NL team outside the Central). This can only mean that the schedules are decided without taking past schedules into consideration. Does anyone know how the schedules are made?

PhillipsBubba
06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Personally, I can't get enough of Willie Stargell and Manny Sanguillen!:D:

Jpgr91
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I think the question should be how do we get more games scheduled against the Pirates.

konerko 14
06-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I think the question should be how do we get more games scheduled against the Pirates.

:smile:

bridgeportcopper
06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
BUT, just our luck, the year we finally get a crack at the Nats, they get the 2nd Coming on the mound. I think we'll beat him though. Call it a hunch!

DonnieDarko
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
BUT, just our luck, the year we finally get a crack at the Nats, they get the 2nd Coming on the mound. I think we'll beat him though. Call it a hunch!

I REALLY wish I could share your optimism. But this guy really does look like this year he's the second coming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Strasburg beasting it up again today? Ugh.

Yeah, call me a worrywart if you want, but I get this sneaking suspicion that he's going to absolutely dominate the Sox when we face him. Who's taking the mound that day on our side?

06-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I REALLY wish I could share your optimism. But this guy really does look like this year he's the second coming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Strasburg beasting it up again today? Ugh.

Yeah, call me a worrywart if you want, but I get this sneaking suspicion that he's going to absolutely dominate the Sox when we face him. Who's taking the mound that day on our side?

It should be Gavin

bridgeportcopper
06-13-2010, 04:20 PM
It should be Gavin

Don't think so, I just heard on Nats game that they are keeping him on 5 day rotation revolving around him reshuffling others around off-days and such, which means he goes Friday, since Sox have an off-day Monday it should be Mark Buehrle, he always seems to draw the ace, doesn't he? Also Fox changed the Sox-Nats gametime to regional Fox 3:10 on Saturday expecting Strasburg and it appears they ain't gonna get him.

Hitmen77
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I like facing a week Pirates team, but I agree. I thought the whole Interleague thing was supposed to rotate between divisions so that we'd face all (or almost all) NL teams in a 3 year period. But we get Pittsburgh every year and hardly ever play teams like St. Louis, Milwaukee, or the NY Mets.

I'd also gladly trading playing the Cubs two series a year to have a chance to see more NL teams, but that's never going to happen.

harwar
06-13-2010, 04:46 PM
i love playing the pirates .. not only can we beat them but the park is beautiful .. when we go to the nats and get strasburg, he'll be on a pitch-count, so maybe try and wait him out ..

hawkjt
06-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Don't think so, I just heard on Nats game that they are keeping him on 5 day rotation revolving around him reshuffling others around off-days and such, which means he goes Friday, since Sox have an off-day Monday it should be Mark Buehrle, he always seems to draw the ace, doesn't he? Also Fox changed the Sox-Nats gametime to regional Fox 3:10 on Saturday expecting Strasburg and it appears they ain't gonna get him.

I saw that graphic also...surprised. I have not been following the Nats,but don't they have a 5 man rotation? What do they do,just drop a guy or pitch him on 6 days rest or something...seems crazy to affect every other guy in the rotation just to keep him on a 5 day rest deal instead of 6.

So, yes, it looks like it will be MB...thats ok, he can trick'em,as he always does vs the NL when they have not seen him before. Strasbery is gonna be tough,but maybe he will have a wild streak and he has given up two homers so...two walks and a blast? Sox win 3-2.:D:

Foulke You
06-13-2010, 05:50 PM
The one that really is baffling is the lack of any series against the Brewers. We finally got one last year at Miller Park and that was the first time since 2001. The Brewers haven't come to Chicago to play the Sox since the 90s. It used to be a great rivarly and there is always going to be larger crowds because of the crossover travel that both team's fans will do. Lip did an interview with Sox business director Bob Grim where he stated the team has complained about this to the league but it has fallen largely on deaf ears.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3669

cws05champ
06-13-2010, 05:52 PM

I think we have a few guys that can turn around that heater. Of course, if he locates his curve....we're toast.

GoGoCrede
06-13-2010, 05:54 PM

+1. I'm certainly not going to complain, what with how well we've done against them in the past.

HomeFish
06-13-2010, 06:16 PM
I think we have a few guys that can turn around that heater.

The Sox have been this way for at least the last decade. I never worry when we face guys with 98-100 mph fastballs. But a left-hander who throws in the 70's and 80's? That is when I really panic.

06-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Who are the likely NL opponents for 2011?

slavko
06-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Pittsburgh=Steel. South Side of Chicago=Steel. Is this how MLB thinks?

Madscout
06-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Can't complain for two reasons: the pirates suck and it is a hop skip and a jump from work to PNC.

Jurr
06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah, cannot complain about getting to see the Sox in the burgh.

Viva Medias B's
06-13-2010, 10:36 PM
We should play the Cardinals more than the Pirates.

Jpgr91
06-13-2010, 10:43 PM
We should play the Cardinals more than the Pirates.

Why?

thomas35forever
06-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I'll take a series against the perennial doormats of the NL Central any year. If we're going to sweep a series, this is the time.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Ok so wait, what day are we most likely going to face "the 2nd coming"? I really wanted to get tickets to see him face the Sox... regardless if they lose.

doublem23
06-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Ok so wait, what day are we most likely going to face "the 2nd coming"? I really wanted to get tickets to see him face the Sox... regardless if they lose.

If they keep the 5-game rotation like they say they will, that would make his start against us Saturday, right? Strasburg pitched today, and the Nats have a 3-game set this week before the series against us.

Also, you do realize that series is in Washington, right?

SluggersAway
06-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Why cant each team play every other team at least once? It gets old watching division play for the majority of the season over and over again.

It seems with 162 games and only 30 teams MLB could be a lot more creative.

Viva Medias B's
06-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Why?

Natural regional rivalry. Ditto for the Brewers.

Harry Potter
06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
If they keep the 5-game rotation like they say they will, that would make his start against us Saturday, right? Strasburg pitched today, and the Nats have a 3-game set this week before the series against us.

Also, you do realize that series is in Washington, right?

They are going to keep him on a 5-day rotation, not 5-game rotation so even with the off day today, he will go Friday vs. the Sox

Plus with this setup, he can pitch in front of another home crowd next Wednesday vs. the Royals.

I'm sure Nationals management has nothing but $$$ on their mind when they realized they can line him up to make his next two starts at home (at the expense of shuffling the other pitches around)

Sad
06-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Natural regional rivalry. Ditto for the Brewers.

a no-brainer really... or so it would seem...
especially with Milwaukee a former divison-rival :rolleyes:

soltrain21
06-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I will never bitch about playing the Pirates.

soltrain21
06-14-2010, 09:38 AM

You better get your tickets now and start walking.

Iwritecode
06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Why cant each team play every other team at least once? It gets old watching division play for the majority of the season over and over again.

I've said that for years but they'd have to do something with the DH rule one way or the other.

kaufsox
06-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I don't get why the Pirates are ALWAYS in the mix, but Milwaukee never seems to be. Also I echo what a few folks have said, I could do without the Cubs at least one series (both to be truthful) to see more teams in the NL or go back to an "AL only" schedule and balance it once again. I'd rather see the Yankees twice at USCF than pretty much any NL team.

As far as Strausberg, it's kind of a win-win. I'd love to see the Sox win, but I can't wait to see him pitch for a full game.

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2010, 03:34 PM

That would be a great idea. I'd like for interleague play to be scheduled using a similar format to what the NFL does for NFC/AFC games.

ewokpelts
06-15-2010, 09:53 AM
balanced schedule with at one series against every nl team. it can work.

FielderJones
06-15-2010, 10:55 AM
balanced schedule with at one series against every nl team. it can work.

Interleague would have to go all season long. I personally would be okay with that, but I suspect MLB would not.

Foulke You
06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Interleague would have to go all season long. I personally would be okay with that, but I suspect MLB would not.
I don't think I would like that very much. You would lose too many good divisional rivalry games. Sox/Twins, Cubs/Cards, Yanks/Red Sox, Dodgers/Giants, etc. would all happen far less under a balanced schedule. This would cost teams revenue at the gate and rivalries would never be able to grow. I think a division title should be decided on division play like the way they do it now. The only thing I would change is to add more logic to the interleague matchups like the aforementioned Cardinals and Brewers games rather than the Pirates or Marlins.

fuzzy_patters
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't think I would like that very much. You would lose too many good divisional rivalry games. Sox/Twins, Cubs/Cards, Yanks/Red Sox, Dodgers/Giants, etc. would all happen far less under a balanced schedule. This would cost teams revenue at the gate and rivalries would never be able to grow. I think a division title should be decided on division play like the way they do it now. The only thing I would change is to add more logic to the interleague matchups like the aforementioned Cardinals and Brewers games rather than the Pirates or Marlins.

I agree with this. Part of the reason why such good rivalries have developed with the Tigers, Twins, Indians, and Royals is that divisional rivalries play each other frequently. The fans get a chance to know the opposing players very well when they play so often. It kind of hearkens back to the days when there were only eight teams in each league with no interleague play. Familiarity breeds contempt, which breeds a good, healthy rivalry.

Iwritecode
06-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't think I would like that very much. You would lose too many good divisional rivalry games. Sox/Twins, Cubs/Cards, Yanks/Red Sox, Dodgers/Giants, etc. would all happen far less under a balanced schedule. This would cost teams revenue at the gate and rivalries would never be able to grow.

Not necessarily. If they played every other team in a 3-game series that's only 87 games. There are still 76 more games to throw in the division rivals. I'm not sure that they need to face each other 18 times a year though.

FielderJones
06-15-2010, 04:23 PM

Really? You don't find 18 games a year against all those teams excessive? We used to get along fine with 12 games per divisional opponent per year, prior to the three-division alignment.

downstairs
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I like interleague as it is now with the number of games played.

However, I do believe over the years every team should play every team in the opposite league an even number of times.

And, of course, the Cubs/Sox, Yanks/Mets series twice for those teams that have such a situation.

We should absolutely see Milwaukee as much as Pittsburgh over the decades. Its insane that we don't considering Milwaukee is so close.

LongLiveFisk
06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Who are the likely NL opponents for 2011?

The Cubs and Pirates. :tongue:

FielderJones
06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
The Cubs and Pirates. :tongue:

:kneeslap: :rolling: :roflmao:

downstairs
06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Sheesh, I just looked here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head.cgi?teams=CHW&from=1994&to=2010&submit=Submit

In interleague play all time, we've played the Pirates 23 times.

We've played 6 teams only two series each, ever. The Mets we've only played 3 games total.

chisoxfanatic
06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
How are interleague opponents even determined each year? Do owners help determine that with Bud Selig? I've been wondering this for a while. I have a hard time believing it's random.

RadioheadRocks
06-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I've been waiting for the Sox to play the Cardinals in the new Busch Stadium... how much longer am I going to have to wait???!!! :angry:

guillensdisciple
06-16-2010, 02:07 AM
I don't know why we're complaining. This is the point where we need easier teams to play. Perhaps they can get us on a roll. We need someone easier to play right now, not harder.