PDA

View Full Version : I hope that the Sox keep AJ

Rockabilly
06-12-2010, 01:51 AM
I like to see the Sox sign him to extension in the near future.. It would suck to see him get traded or leave through free agency..

HomeFish
06-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Even the most beloved players are mortal and subject to aging. AJ will live on in the hearts of all Sox fans for his lovable hijinks, but his skills have diminished and it makes no sense to keep him around.

Maybe he can come back as the manager one day.

BRDSR
06-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Maybe he can come back as the manager one day.

One day soon?

wassagstdu
06-12-2010, 06:53 AM
I have been oh-so ready for the blow up, but now that it could be about to begin I find that I hope it does not happen. All along it has been kind of a doomsday scenario that never promised actually to improve anything, but just serve as an outlet for the anger and frustration of Sox fans. Now I think we are starting to see a few paltry examples of what this team is capable of, and I would rather watch them improve, even if they are in too deep a hole to climb out of, than see things deteriorate further, maybe for a long time.

russ99
06-12-2010, 07:13 AM
I'd love to see the Sox keep A.J.

But his numbers this year are worrisome. He's been a very consistent hitter, and this year he's fallen off the cliff, much like Dye last year.

If he's still here Monday, when his 10-5 rights kick in, or even more unlikely, after the deadline, maybe the Sox can bring him back at a much-reduced salary.

#1swisher
06-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I'd love to see the Sox keep A.J.

But his numbers this year are worrisome. He's been a very consistent hitter, and this year he's fallen off the cliff, much like Dye last year.

If he's still here Monday, when his 10-5 rights kick in, or even more unlikely, after the deadline, maybe the Sox can bring him back at a much-reduced salary.

OG, said that AJ is staying.

Craig Grebeck
06-12-2010, 08:55 AM
OG, said that AJ is staying.
OG, has no say.

balke
06-12-2010, 09:09 AM
10/5 would make it tough to move him - but not impossible. I don't think there should be emergency movement. This Sox Cubs series reminds me of how he helped changed the image of this team though. Ozzie and AJ made me proud to like the Sox again - they were really soft before these guys got here.

hi im skot
06-12-2010, 09:39 AM
AJ won't be here at the end of the season.

DickAllen72
06-12-2010, 09:41 AM
I like to see the Sox sign him to extension in the near future.. It would suck to see him get traded or leave through free agency..
AJ is the best Sox catcher in many years. Even the way he has performed this season so far puts him way ahead of the Jamie Burkes, Ben Davises, Sandy Alomars, etc. they've had in the past. And I don't believe he is done, he just had a bad stretch--it happens to every major league player. He's been coming around with the bat lately and re-signing him would take a lot off his mind.

Couple that with the fact that the Sox don't have a capable replacement in the wings (no offense to Tyler Borchard or Josh Flowers or whatever that guy's name is) and it makes sense for the Sox to re-sign AJ if he's willing to take a cut in pay for the next two or three years.

DickAllen72
06-12-2010, 09:42 AM
BTW, I think AJ would be great in the Sox' broadcast booth (either TV or radio) after his playing career with the team is over.

Craig Grebeck
06-12-2010, 10:02 AM
AJ is the best Sox catcher in many years. Even the way he has performed this season so far puts him way ahead of the Jamie Burkes, Ben Davises, Sandy Alomars, etc. they've had in the past. And I don't believe he is done, he just had a bad stretch--it happens to every major league player. He's been coming around with the bat lately and re-signing him would take a lot off his mind.

Couple that with the fact that the Sox don't have a capable replacement in the wings (no offense to Tyler Borchard or Josh Flowers or whatever that guy's name is) and it makes sense for the Sox to re-sign AJ if he's willing to take a cut in pay for the next two or three years.
Well that's just a dog****, dumbass comparison.

palehozenychicty
06-12-2010, 10:06 AM
He played well yesterday, but let's be real. We can't give him an extension. That's a move we make if we're close to being a pennant contender. This team is not that. If they prove me wrong, I'll take the lashes. But I doubt it.

Frontman
06-12-2010, 10:12 AM
AJ could stay and wind up becoming a backup catcher for this team as his career winds down. Who knows.

dickallen15
06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
He played well yesterday, but let's be real. We can't give him an extension. That's a move we make if we're close to being a pennant contender. This team is not that. If they prove me wrong, I'll take the lashes. But I doubt it.
So you have already given up hope on 2011 as well? Flowers may or may not be the catcher of the future, but I wish people would look at what he's doing in AAA and realize it doesn't translate to any success on the big league level right now, so people want Flowers to play "to see what he would be able to do" you will see a lot of walking back to the dugout after a strikeout. Let him get himself together before throwing him to the wolves.

Its also funny around these message boards how much talk about AJ being older for a catcher, how he's done, he doesn't hit well anymore he doesn't field well anymore. Well, if that's the case, how in the world does anyone expect the White Sox to get a halfway decent prospect for him even if they do eat money?

DirtySox
06-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't want to see Flowers just yet. He still has to show he can hit in AAA, and I think he will do so.

I'd prefer AJ to be moved and I hope he never comes back though. Call up Lucy despite the suckitude with the bat and let's see if he's worthy of being a backup next year to either Tyler or whoever AJ's successor is.

Brian26
06-12-2010, 10:49 AM
AJ could stay and wind up becoming a backup catcher for this team as his career winds down. Who knows.

I don't see AJ accepting that position.

kufram
06-12-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't understand the "just get rid of him" mentality. Within weeks the same people will be complaining about whoever is catching. I can't see a straight trade that brings us a veteran catcher that is any more to offer than AJ. A replacement from the minors "to see what he can do" when said replacement isn't doing well in the minors is very short-sighted and desperate.

AJ's struggle with the bat could be primarily due to his contract situation. Some guys struggle when the contract is on their minds, Jermaine Dye for example. Others play themselves into a better future... stand up Paul Konerko.

The only thing that bothers me about AJ is that for awhile I thought he looked like he'd given up on himself... a big night like last night can dispell that. Oh, and his poor percentage throwing out runners, but that is not entirely down to him and it doesn't kill us very often.

Sockinchisox
06-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't understand the "just get rid of him" mentality. Within weeks the same people will be complaining about whoever is catching. I can't see a straight trade that brings us a veteran catcher that is any more to offer than AJ. A replacement from the minors "to see what he can do" when said replacement isn't doing well in the minors is very short-sighted and desperate.

AJ's struggle with the bat could be primarily due to his contract situation. Some guys struggle when the contract is on their minds, Jermaine Dye for example. Others play themselves into a better future... stand up Paul Konerko.

The only thing that bothers me about AJ is that for awhile I thought he looked like he'd given up on himself... a big night like last night can dispell that. Oh, and his poor percentage throwing out runners, but that is not entirely down to him and it doesn't kill us very often.

No they won't because they accept that fact that the Sox aren't going to do anything this year.

kufram
06-12-2010, 02:21 PM
No they won't because they accept that fact that the Sox aren't going to do anything this year.

I don't think they'll let that stop them.

konerko 14
06-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I know AJ has been bad this year, but it's gonna be sad to see one of the last guys from 05 leave. :(:

Craig Grebeck
06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Who cares if people complain? A.J. is not the future. We will not contend this year, and I doubt he will do them much good next season. You try to groom the future, whether it's Lucy (as a backup) or Flowers (as a starter).

Like I said earlier, giving Lucy at-bats from now until the end of the season will let the organization know if he can serve as a capable back-up. Filling the bench with young, cheap guys is something this organization has avoided for a long time -- despite overwhelming logic.

kufram
06-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Who cares if people complain? A.J. is not the future. We will not contend this year, and I doubt he will do them much good next season. You try to groom the future, whether it's Lucy (as a backup) or Flowers (as a starter).

Like I said earlier, giving Lucy at-bats from now until the end of the season will let the organization know if he can serve as a capable back-up. Filling the bench with young, cheap guys is something this organization has avoided for a long time -- despite overwhelming logic.

Young cheap guys that have earned their way to the majors to fill a roster spot soon I would agree, but using 2/3 of a season to look at guys to see if they might be ok for a back-up next year? No.

Daver
06-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Flowers will make you wax nostalgic about how good a defensive catcher AJ was.

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Do you think Flowers has any future as a 1B or DH?

Daver
06-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Do you think Flowers has any future as a 1B or DH?

If Omar Vizquel can DH anyone can.

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2010, 03:42 PM
If Omar Vizquel can DH anyone can.

OK, let me ask more specifically:

Does Flowers have a good enough bat to justify a smart MLB manager having him DH?

Do you think Flowers could learn to become a decent defensive first baseman?

Daver
06-12-2010, 03:51 PM
OK, let me ask more specifically:

Does Flowers have a good enough bat to justify a smart MLB manager having him DH?

Do you think Flowers could learn to become a decent defensive first baseman?His bat has the potential to be, but so did Joe Borchard's.

Paul Konerko started his career as a catcher, and he is not the athlete Flowers is.

PhillipsBubba
06-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Trade him while he seems to be on the upswing!

It's time.

Frankfan4life
06-12-2010, 05:58 PM
I like to see the Sox sign him to extension in the near future.. It would suck to see him get traded or leave through free agency..I agree and I would add Konerko too.

A. Cavatica
06-12-2010, 06:13 PM
OG, has no say.

I, see what you did with that comma.

soxinem1
06-12-2010, 06:39 PM
BTW, I think AJ would be great in the Sox' broadcast booth (either TV or radio) after his playing career with the team is over.

And an even better fit in the dugout...

Craig Grebeck
06-12-2010, 08:57 PM
If the season is lost and the White Sox punt, you give Flowers the opportunity to prove your hypothesis right.

voodoochile
06-12-2010, 09:06 PM
If the season is lost and the White Sox punt, you give Flowers the opportunity to prove your hypothesis right.

Why?

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Nah. If he can't catch worth a damn, then he needs to start learning another position, or get has bat good enough to DH.

The only way he'll learn to hit major league pitching is to face it.

So if the Sox punt and trade AJ, I'd give Lucy the nod behind the dish and have Flowers DH. Of course, this means KW would have to trade Kotsay and Jones, otherwise Ozzie would let Flowers rot on the bench while he "respects" the veterans.

twinsuck
06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
I love AJ. I'm going to cry if they get rid of him. :emo:

tm1119
06-12-2010, 10:45 PM
4 points to make

1. AJ simply isnt a good hitter. Hasnt been in years. Even when he hits for a decent average like last year his OBP and SLG are both very low. Hitting .300 with a .320 OBP and .420 SLG% is not productive hitting.

2. AJ is overrated defensively. He cant throw runners out to save his life, and what was supposed to be 1 of the best pitching staffs in the league is severely underachieving. AJ's defensive impact is minimal on this team.

3. Flowers is fine in AAA. His average dipped all the way to .207 and its already back up to .230 and climbing. He hit .286 in 119 PA's AAA AB's last year and continues to show very good power for a catcher. Hes not going to be a great hitter but .250 with 25 hrs is > than the offensive production AJ gives us.

4. If Flowers couldnt catch he wouldnt still be there. He is too far into his career to last this long at 1 position. Kevin Goldstein of BP ranked his defense at average, which is about where AJ's is at this point in his career.

In short, lets see what Flowers can do and trade AJ. We wont get anything but saving a few mil would be nice.

06-12-2010, 10:56 PM
I will really hate seeing AJ traded but when it happens it probably is the best decision for the future of the White Sox.

These are some though times for the team and fans.

Craig Grebeck
06-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Why?
I can't tell if this is serious or not. Why wouldn't you?

Craig Grebeck
06-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Nah. If he can't catch worth a damn, then he needs to start learning another position, or get has bat good enough to DH.

The only way he'll learn to hit major league pitching is to face it.

So if the Sox punt and trade AJ, I'd give Lucy the nod behind the dish and have Flowers DH. Of course, this means KW would have to trade Kotsay and Jones, otherwise Ozzie would let Flowers rot on the bench while he "respects" the veterans.
I'd let them split the duty. Sink or swim for Flowers.

Sam Spade
06-12-2010, 11:41 PM
4 points to make

1. AJ simply isnt a good hitter. Hasnt been in years. Even when he hits for a decent average like last year his OBP and SLG are both very low. Hitting .300 with a .320 OBP and .420 SLG% is not productive hitting.

2. AJ is overrated defensively. He cant throw runners out to save his life, and what was supposed to be 1 of the best pitching staffs in the league is severely underachieving. AJ's defensive impact is minimal on this team.

3. Flowers is fine in AAA. His average dipped all the way to .207 and its already back up to .230 and climbing. He hit .286 in 119 PA's AAA AB's last year and continues to show very good power for a catcher. Hes not going to be a great hitter but .250 with 25 hrs is > than the offensive production AJ gives us.

4. If Flowers couldnt catch he wouldnt still be there. He is too far into his career to last this long at 1 position. Kevin Goldstein of BP ranked his defense at average, which is about where AJ's is at this point in his career.

In short, lets see what Flowers can do and trade AJ. We wont get anything but saving a few mil would be nice.

Average wow. From reading this site, you'd think he was unanimously pegged to be on par with the league's worst catchers ever.

palehozenychicty
06-12-2010, 11:52 PM
So you have already given up hope on 2011 as well? Flowers may or may not be the catcher of the future, but I wish people would look at what he's doing in AAA and realize it doesn't translate to any success on the big league level right now, so people want Flowers to play "to see what he would be able to do" you will see a lot of walking back to the dugout after a strikeout. Let him get himself together before throwing him to the wolves.

Its also funny around these message boards how much talk about AJ being older for a catcher, how he's done, he doesn't hit well anymore he doesn't field well anymore. Well, if that's the case, how in the world does anyone expect the White Sox to get a halfway decent prospect for him even if they do eat money?

I'm not quitting on this or next season. I just am being a realist. I will follow because I love the game and i love this franchise, but this team is not going out East and beating those two squads in New York and Tampa to reach the World Series. If they get hot and eke out a division win, that would be a miracle. But I don't see it. There's simply not enough position talent. Don't get me wrong. I love AJ. He's playing better lately. But he's not going to be around forever. If Flowers needs until mid '11, that's cool. He may not be the answer. But we have to find out someday. Point is, AJ is our past and present, and not the future. Nothing more or less. But at some point, you need to transition. It's just life. I like the streak right now. But let's see what happens.

dwalteroo
06-13-2010, 12:07 AM
I, see what you did with that comma.
:spongebob:

voodoochile
06-13-2010, 12:56 AM
I can't tell if this is serious or not. Why wouldn't you?

Doesn't appear to be close to ready.

soxfanreggie
06-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I agree and I would add Konerko too.

I would like to see the Sox sign Konerko to an extension too. However, I think that it will take both sides sitting down and discussing a fair number. It could be a 2-year deal with a club option for a 3rd year and a vesting player option for a 3rd year by good performance in the first two.

I think you also add in an "ambassador clause" where we give Paulie X per year to make X appearances when he retires. He's 34, but I think he has a season or two liken this one left in his system.