PDA

View Full Version : Stone Vs. Lou

LITTLE NELL
06-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I hope this the right forum, because it just happenned on a Sox telecast that I walked in late on, what is up with Steve Stone and Pinella.

DirtySox
06-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Read about it in the gamethread. Some links in there as well.

LITTLE NELL
06-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Read about it in the gamethread. Some links in there as well.
Thanks

GoGoCrede
06-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Stone came off really well in that little exchange.

Stone - 1
Lou - 0

Liked how Hawk said he would just sit back and watch that one.

Hitmen77
06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
This time it's Piniella:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/angry-piniella-answers-back-to-stones-critique.html

doublem23
06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Wrong link.

Slappy
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I thought Stone came across as a dummy.

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Did anyone else just see this? Piniella asking why Stone isn't a GM or a manager...all he does is be an announcer! And he is tired of his criticism.

WOW...can't wait for Stoney's reaction! :)

voodoochile
06-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Did anyone else just see this? Piniella asking why Stone isn't a GM or a manager...all he does is be an announcer! And he is tired of his criticism.

WOW...can't wait for Stoney's reaction! :)

Check the game thread, there's links to his reaction already. That was a taped interview.

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Check the game thread, there's links to his reaction already. That was a taped interview.

Oops. Sorry about that. I have been a little distracted lately and admit to not paying close enough attention. :redface:

Interesting situation though. Too much losing definitely causes tempers to flare!

Hitmen77
06-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Wrong link.

D'oh! .....fixed.

mantis1212
06-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I saw it on WGN- good stuff, Lou is hilarious

pythons007
06-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I can't find the game thread in the Sox Clubhouse....

help please

Iwritecode
06-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I can't find the game thread in the Sox Clubhouse....

help please

It's in the pick to click/gameday forum.

Frontman
06-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Pinella sounds drunk in his commentary.

"What has he ever done?"

You mean, besides win a Cy Young and provide solid commentary, Lou?

TheCommander
06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Lou needs to put on his big boy pants and not worry about what the media or broadcasters think. FTR, I think Stoney is on the money.

LoveYourSuit
06-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I kind of wish Stone would give up his other media job on the Score of talking all things baseball and just talk about the Sox. I can see how it would rub the other side of town the wrong way being that he is now a White Sox broadcaster.

Rohan
06-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Lou needs to get off his high horse and acknowledge that others are entitled to their opinions. At this point in both Lou's rant was just flat out ridiculous. If you can't take criticism on grey areas such as who to start, you really need to get out of the game of baseball. Steve Stone NEVER questioned Lou's managing credentials. But Lou sure did make sure that he went of the offensive in stating that Stone isn't credible enough to question Lou's decisions. You know, because seasoned veterans who have a Cy Young and who have been analyzing baseball for several years are complete dummies.

RadioheadRocks
06-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Pinella sounds drunk in his commentary.

"What has he ever done?"

You mean, besides win a Cy Young and provide solid commentary, Lou?

Game.

Set.

Match.

pythons007
06-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I kind of wish Stone would go back in the dugout. He seems to have a superior mind of the game and I think could be an exceptional pitching coach (i.e. Duncan in St. Louis) and possibly a great manager.

Foulke You
06-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I've always hated the "you never did this, so what can you possibly know" argument. I never thought it would come from Lou, but who knows? Perhaps the heat was getting to him. Just because Steve Stone was never a manager doesn't mean he lacks knowledge on the game. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. I've always liked Lou Pinella but I think he is starting to let his Cubs frustration get the best of him. I knew this would end badly for him on the North Side and he seems to be heading down that path. Lou is not an idiot and realizes this team is not going to win as constructed and he will not have a chance to manage next year when Sandberg will be taking his job. Perhaps he is coming down with a case of thinner skin because of this realization?

TomBradley72
06-11-2010, 10:47 PM
For my money Piniella came off better than Stone on this one. Why Stone made it so personal..."Lou obviously doesn't know how to handle young players", is beyond me. You can argue that Colvin should get more playing time...but that surprised me.

I don't think being an announcer is remotely comparable to a GM or field manager role. When asked about it during the broadcast today..Stone rambled on with some generalities...but seemed to back off a bit.

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I've always hated the "you never did this, so what can you possibly know" argument. I never thought it would come from Lou, but who knows? Perhaps the heat was getting to him. Just because Steve Stone was never a manager doesn't mean he lacks knowledge on the game. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

Exactly. Did it ever occur to him that maybe Stone doesn't WANT to be a manager, GM, etc, and just prefers being an announcer? There are plenty of qualified former players that could probably make good managers, coaches, or GMs (Fisk, for example), but if it's not something they WANT to do, they don't do it. Doesn't mean they aren't qualified. :rolleyes:

Frontman
06-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Exactly. Did it ever occur to him that maybe Stone doesn't WANT to be a manager, GM, etc, and just prefers being an announcer? There are plenty of qualified former players that could probably make good managers, coaches, or GMs (Fisk, for example), but if it's not something they WANT to do, they don't do it. Doesn't mean they aren't qualified. :rolleyes:

Well, that philosophy also is the "you need experience to be a good...fill-in-the-blank so you can't get that job." If that's the case; nobody would be a first year head coach. Just because someone never has done something doesn't mean they never would make a good coach or mananger.

John Madden didn't play one snap in the NFL, he was a great coach. Others; who played the game have no business holding a clipboard.

Lou is just pissed off he got commented on. He wants to show up the rest of the year; collect his check, then ride off into the sunset.

slavko
06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Lou sounds like Custer being interviewed just before the Indians got there. He's a beaten man, going to the podium like a good soldier, mumbling a few words. Most of the press is merciful and doesn't persist too much.

Steve? Went too far, made it personal. But he's right.

Mohoney
06-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Lou's an asshat, and has been his entire time with the Cubs. The next question he answers with any kind of substance whatsoever will be his first since arriving. He's gotten an awful lot of mileage out of a 20 year old accomplishment.

LongLiveFisk
06-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Lou's an asshat, and has been his entire time with the Cubs. The next question he answers with any kind of substance whatsoever will be his first since arriving. He's gotten an awful lot of mileage out of a 20 year old accomplishment.

He was stuttering terribly too. Saying all Stone was, was an announcer "on, on, on, on, on, on, on, on, on television".

Yikes.

StillMissOzzie
06-12-2010, 02:59 AM
He was stuttering terribly too. Saying all Stone was, was an announcer "on, on, on, on, on, on, on, on, on television".

Yikes.

In a taped interview of Stone Pony's response, one of the things he said was, " ...and I have never said 'on' six times in a row on TV...", which I thought was kind of a low blow, yet hysterically funny at the same time.

Lou, as well as other Cub fans, are put out a bit by Stone's gig with the Score, where he gets to comment and opine on the Cubs and the rest of MLB, while holding down his regular job with Hawk and the Sox. Maybe they need Brenly or Kasper to get a similar gig on WGN and shoot back against the Sox, if they feel the need.

And one more valid point I heard today - Sweet Lou may be under orders to play Fukudome to justify that ridiculous contract he's got, even if he really DOES want to play the rookie.

SMO
:gulp:

#1swisher
06-12-2010, 10:01 AM
In a taped interview of Stone Pony's response, one of the things he said was, " ...and I have never said 'on' six times in a row on TV...", which I thought was kind of a low blow, yet hysterically funny at the same time.

Lou, as well as other Cub fans, are put out a bit by Stone's gig with the Score, where he gets to comment and opine on the Cubs and the rest of MLB, while holding down his regular job with Hawk and the Sox. Maybe they need Brenly or Kasper to get a similar gig on WGN and shoot back against the Sox, if they feel the need.

And one more valid point I heard today - Sweet Lou may be under orders to play Fukudome to justify that ridiculous contract he's got, even if he really DOES want to play the rookie.

SMO
:gulp:

I agree, Lou also was po'd at Dave Kaplan for comments and Kaplan never played any professional sports.

Frontman
06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
I agree, Lou also was po'd at Dave Kaplan for comments and Kaplan never played any professional sports.

Kaplan might be all things moronic about Cubs love; but he still can form an opinion. Lou's stance is that if you haven't set foot in a clubhouse you have no right to comment.

Thankfully, the Sox have had their garage sales so I have visited the clubhouse; ergo I get to comment on baseball. :wink:

soxfanreggie
06-12-2010, 10:32 AM

I agree with you there. Doug Collins had several offers to leave announcing to get back into coaching, but he did not take any of them for a while. In this day and age, I don't think some of these ex players with millions in the bank would want the headache when they can get a great paycheck to call games. I'm not saying that it pays the multi-millions these managers and coaches make, but I bet the pay isn't bad and they get to work a lot less.

Looks like Hawk was making $250k way back in the 80's as a broadcaster: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064463/2/index.htm

I know most people would like to make 1/3rd of that here 20+ years later.

#1swisher
06-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Kaplan might be all things moronic about Cubs love; but he still can form an opinion. Lou's stance is that if you haven't set foot in a clubhouse you have no right to comment.

Thankfully, the Sox have had their garage sales so I have visited the clubhouse; ergo I get to comment on baseball. :wink:

:D: good one