PDA

View Full Version : What to do with KW and Ozzie

Viva Medias B's
06-11-2010, 09:44 AM
What do you think should be done with Ken Williams and Ozzie Guillen?

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I say both. I would like to see this team go in a different direction.

If I only have to pick one, I say keep KW. I am tired of Ozzie, his antics, his on-the-field managing, and his family.

GAsoxfan
06-11-2010, 10:10 AM
i say both. I would like to see this team go in a different direction.

If i only have to pick one, i say keep kw. I am tired of ozzie, his antics, his on-the-field managing, and his family.

+1

jdm2662
06-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Both have run their course. However, if I had to pick one. It's Ozzie by a mile.

GoGoCrede
06-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Love them both, prefer Kenny. But changes need to be made.

34 Inch Stick
06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Keep both for now. Ozzie is more replaceable down the road.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Both should be let go of. But, if I had to chose one I would actually get rid of Kenny. He's the guy who designs the teams that have consistently under performed. The only two times the teams he has built have not underperformed are 2005 and 2008 and I think Ozzie ought to get some credit for those successes.

Marqhead
06-11-2010, 11:15 AM
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/billramo/WindowsLiveWriter/DBAsAreyoureadyforthesteelcagedeathmatch_11368/20070528081303%21Elimination_chamber_nyr06_2.jpg

Rockabilly
06-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I think both of them need to go..

Make Hahn the GM and find a great replacement for Ozzie

RCWHITESOX
06-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I think both of them need to go..

Make Hahn the GM and find a great replacement for Ozzie

How about Bobby Valentine?

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
How about Bobby Valentine?

No.

Might be Tony La Russa.

Frankfan4life
06-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Keep both for now. Ozzie is more replaceable down the road.Right now I'd like to wait until the All Star Game break to see how this team fares. Then, I think some decisions should be made.

Rockabilly
06-11-2010, 11:55 AM
I would like to clean house with at least 12 players on the roster. Than replace KW, Ozzie, Cora,Baines, Walker and Cox..

voodoochile
06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/billramo/WindowsLiveWriter/DBAsAreyoureadyforthesteelcagedeathmatch_11368/20070528081303%21Elimination_chamber_nyr06_2.jpg

I was going to suggest this. Actually an octagon and set it up at the ballpark so the team can make money from selling tickets. At the least it could be a promotion.

Sunday Sunday Sunday, For one day only see Krazy Kenny take on Ozzie the Mouth after the game. Will Kenny use his infamous table tactic to tip the scales in his favor? Can he withstand the blistering vocal attack? Come see this epic bare knuckle, no-holds-barred bruhaha, Sunday 6/27 after the flubs game so little ones won't have to witness the carnage (or risk hearing Ozzie). This will be the Ultilmate ultimate fighter match. Don't miss out, get your tickets today!

GoGoCrede
06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I was going to suggest this. Actually an octagon and set it up at the ballpark so the team can make money from selling tickets. At the least it could be a promotion.

Sunday Sunday Sunday, For one day only see Krazy Kenny take on Ozzie the Mouth after the game. Will Kenny use his infamous table tactic to tip the scales in his favor? Can he withstand the blistering vocal attack? Come see this epic bare knuckle, no-holds-barred bruhaha, Sunday 6/27 after the flubs game so little ones won't have to witness the carnage (or risk hearing Ozzie). This will be the Ultilmate ultimate fighter match. Don't miss out, get your tickets today!

I totally lost it at Krazy Kenny. :rolling:

VMSNS
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Fire them both at the end of the season. I want them both to stick around till the end of the season and watch this monstrosity of a team they created. Slowly disassemble the team this season and this upcoming offseason. Then, make Hahn the GM and hire a manager that is good with developing and working with young players.

I'm sick of this bull****. They both can be blamed, but if I could pick only one to get rid of, it'd be Ozzie first. It's clear that he is no longer effective at getting through to these guys.

TheVulture
06-11-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't know, in March I was happy that KW put together a top flight rotation and a deep bullpen. I was hoping for another middle order hitter, but I have a hard time blaming KW for the pitching woes. Who knew this rotation would be this bad? I couldn't have really asked for a better rotation in March, how can I call for his head now?

Then again, KW's habit of trading away 2nd tier pitching prospects as if they grow on trees has resulted in the apparent need of overpaid relievers which, along with his propensity for relatively highly paid benches, has obviously hampered his payroll flexibility to add the needed middle order hitter...the state of the minors is horrible, and KW has to be accountable for that.

Whoever does the job, KW or otherwise, has got his work cut out for him at this point. I'd start with the coaching staff. I've never been one to chant the "fire Walker" mantra, but there is really no reason not to. There have been way too many seemingly talented hitters flop and/or digress and no evidence to support the idea he is doing any good for the team. Seems like this is the obvious first step. The trend of lack of overall fundamentals seems to indict Guillen as well. I've always been an Ozzie fan, but it seems like the coaching has to go first.

Smokey Burg
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I've never been a big fan of fire the manager when the boys can't/don't/won't produce, but in this case I think it is justified. Based on what I've read in the Trib, Sun-Times, WSI, etc, KW built the team that Ozzie wanted and they suck. Somebody has to pay the price. The bad thing is is I like Ozzie, at least he is entertaining, he says what he thinks, and he has done good things for the Sox. KW may have a problem trying to trade away some of the non-performers. I am sure every team in baseball is lining up to add Kotsay to their roster! I'd be surprised if Kenny could get a stack of clean (and folded) locker room towels for him. Maybe a new manager could come in here and light a fire under these guys.

TheVulture
06-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Based on what I've read in the Trib, Sun-Times, WSI, etc, KW built the team that Ozzie wanted and they suck.

Well, if KW somehow added Ichiro, Crawford and Rollins, I'm sure Ozzie would've had the kind of team he wanted, too, so I'm not sure I'm buying that line he's been feeding us all spring. KW is still responsible for assembling the team. Unless Ozzie demanded the specific players that were acquired, it's still on KW.

TomBradley72
06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Both.

KW has just not shown any ability to develop a farm system....so that leads to an annual roll the dice/high risk approach to building the major league roster. Because I believe that a farm system will be critical to consistent success...we need a new GM.

Ozzie? The bull**** with his sons is unacceptable. In 2005, he talked about trying to emulate Bobby Cox and the other good managers he played/coached under...the 2010 version of Ozzie is a far cry from that goal.

dickallen15
06-11-2010, 01:05 PM
So Ozzie now says that his son would have had to been selected in the first 6 rounds to sign. What made him pick round 6? Gee I wonder. If he's being straight, I sure am glad the Sox didn't waste a higher pick on Ozney. Going to college isn't a bad option.

Johnny Mostil
06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Fire them both at the end of the season. I want them both to stick around till the end of the season and watch this monstrosity of a team they created. Slowly disassemble the team this season and this upcoming offseason. Then, make Hahn the GM and hire a manager that is good with developing and working with young players.

I'm sick of this bull****. They both can be blamed, but if I could pick only one to get rid of, it'd be Ozzie first. It's clear that he is no longer effective at getting through to these guys.

I agree with much of this. I'm not sure I see point of changing at present. At end of season, if team doesn't improve, then yes, it may be time to move on. If so, then, yes, Hahn as GM and manager to develop and work with young players sounds fine to me, too.

areilly
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Both have run their course. However, if I had to pick one. It's Ozzie by a mile.

Took the words right out of my keyboard.

SoxRox
06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I've always liked that Kenny has been an agressive GM and was willing to reach to make a deal. But sometimes, I guess, you can reach too far and the blame for that has to fall with the GM.

Ozzie has to work with the players Ken provides him with. Ozzie is a good manager and players want to play for him. If I had to choose, I would give Ozzie a longer leash this year.

-SoxRox

LITTLE NELL
06-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Both.

KW has just not shown any ability to develop a farm system....so that leads to an annual roll the dice/high risk approach to building the major league roster. Because I believe that a farm system will be critical to consistent success...we need a new GM.

Ozzie? The bull**** with his sons is unacceptable. In 2005, he talked about trying to emulate Bobby Cox and the other good managers he played/coached under...the 2010 version of Ozzie is a far cry from that goal.

The farm system deal I think comes from JR, when the Sunshine Boys bought the club in 81 I will never forget Einhorns take on farm systems; that they were overated and money was better spent on free agents.
So i give KW a pass on that.

Hitmen77
06-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I think it's time for Ozzie to go now. Rotating bench players as DH was his idea and it's flopped horribly. The draft feud is an embarrassment.

Mabye not Kenny just yet. Of course, he's had some great success for us over his tenure and has pulled off some great trades. But, his shell game of mortgaging prospects for MLB players has finally caught up with him.

Right now, Ryan Sweeney is hitting .320 for the A's and John Ely is having a nice rookie debut for LA. Gio Gonzalez isn't looking so bad either.

Aside from John Danks (a great trade by Kenny), prospects he got in trades aren't going so well. We got garbage for Swisher after giving up Sweeney and Gio to get him. Flowers was the main haul for Vazquez and he's regressing in AAA this year.

When the Sox cry poor next winter, I'll wonder why Kenny committed $10.5 million to Teahen for the next two seasons.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I think it's time for Ozzie to go now. Rotating bench players as DH was his idea and it's flopped horribly. The draft feud is an embarrassment.

Mabye not Kenny just yet. Of course, he's had some great success for us over his tenure and has pulled off some great trades. But, his shell game of mortgaging prospects for MLB players has finally caught up with him.

Right now, Ryan Sweeney is hitting .320 for the A's and John Ely is having a nice rookie debut for LA. Gio Gonzalez isn't looking so bad either.

Aside from John Danks (a great trade by Kenny), prospects he got in trades aren't going so well. We got garbage for Swisher after giving up Sweeney and Gio to get him. Flowers was the main haul for Vazquez and he's regressing in AAA this year.

When the Sox cry poor next winter, I'll wonder why Kenny committed $10.5 million to Teahen for the next two seasons.

The only time Kenny's teams have not underperformed were with Ozzie at the helm. Kenny was the guy who built this team, Ozzie said he wanted a team that was good at defense and could manufacture runs, either Kenny thought or someone told him that Teahen would be good a third, that Quentin was a legitimate RFer, that Beckham could be moved to second.

Kenny has had his hands all over this disaster and was the chief architect of the 2007 bullpen that cost us 18 games and also thought that Josh Fields was a legitimate 3rd baseman and went into the year without a leadoff hitter and has ignored the hole at CF since the departure of Rowand. And that's just going off since 2005. We can go back before then where at one point he acknowledged that he thought his teams total lack of defense would be okay because of their offense.

wassagstdu
06-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Keep them both. I don't really care how uncomfortable they are working together, they are a good combination. I do not see the organization improving by replacing either one. I think the 2005 team was the most "Ozzie" team Ozzie has had. That has to be Williams' fault (that every team since then has been too one-dimensional). But overall he has been a terrific GM -- by Sox standards. This should have been a good team. Neither Ozzie or KW is to blame for their underperformance. I have three suspects: (1) bad chemistry. Is there a bad apple or just a bad combination? (2) Greg Walker. Is he preaching a hitting philosophy that doesn't work for many hitters? (3) Arizona spring training. The hitters don't see enough good breaking pitches and the pitchers don't get control of them, so neither is ready for the season. Beckham working on hitting breaking pitches in Arizona is a good example of how that can screw things up.

HomeFish
06-11-2010, 05:27 PM
There 10+ people on the ML roster who are more of a problem than KW or Ozzie.

With Ozzie you have marketing concerns too. He's the biggest celebrity on the team and keeps us in the national media when no man on the team can do that. Also what would you rename the Ozzie plan?

TDog
06-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I've never been a big fan of fire the manager when the boys can't/don't/won't produce, but in this case I think it is justified. Based on what I've read in the Trib, Sun-Times, WSI, etc, KW built the team that Ozzie wanted and they suck. Somebody has to pay the price. The bad thing is is I like Ozzie, at least he is entertaining, he says what he thinks, and he has done good things for the Sox. KW may have a problem trying to trade away some of the non-performers. I am sure every team in baseball is lining up to add Kotsay to their roster! I'd be surprised if Kenny could get a stack of clean (and folded) locker room towels for him. Maybe a new manager could come in here and light a fire under these guys.

Actually, Guillen wanted a top flight starting rotation. The White Sox haven't had one. Guillen didn't say, go out and spend your money on a mediocre starting rotation, which is what he has had. The Sox have the pitching talent to turn things around, an if they do, things will be forgotten.

The saving grace is that the talent isn't mediocre and there is a chance they won't be mediocre for the remainder of the season. There is plenty of baseball season left. As much as people love the 1977 White Sox, they lost nearly 20 games in the standings to the Royals in the last two months of the season.

As for Williams and Guillen, I would ignore them. this sort of thing happens much more often than people realize. It happens more often with bad teams than good ones. It happened a few times with Bobby Valentine with the Mets. I don't think it happened with Tony LaRussa with the White Sox because Roland Hemond was too classy Ken Harrelson mostly did things behind his back and wasn't one for confrontation.

WSox597
06-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I say both. I would like to see this team go in a different direction.

If I only have to pick one, I say keep KW. I am tired of Ozzie, his antics, his on-the-field managing, and his family.

I agree with this post. Both would be best, but Ozzie needs to go if only one goes.

I'd like to see them both gone before they do something stupid and trade good players for scraps from other teams.

A. Cavatica
06-11-2010, 08:10 PM
With Ozzie you have marketing concerns too. He's the biggest celebrity on the team and keeps us in the national media when no man on the team can do that. Also what would you rename the Ozzie plan?

The mother****ing umpire blew the ****ing call and cost us the ****ing game plan?

A. Cavatica
06-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I agree with this post. Both would be best, but Ozzie needs to go if only one goes.

I'd like to see them both gone before they do something stupid and trade good players for scraps from other teams.

Ozzie now. Kenny at the end of the season if the players he keeps haven't turned it around under the interim manager.

JB98
06-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Right now, you keep both of them, because I don't see how firing either of them midseason helps.

At the end of the year, I might call for them both to be gone. We'll see how the rest of the season goes, and what moves are made. They are both on the hot seat with me.

Shoeless
06-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I would say Ozzie, but I'm kind of in favor of starting up the Rick Hahn era before he starts it somewhere else.

gosox41
06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
What do you think should be done with Ken Williams and Ozzie Guillen?

Fire both. They are both coming out as stubborn, ego maniacs. Both Ozzie's kid and Kenny's kids will never make the majors unless they're promoted at the end of a season to get the "experience" while making a mockery of the game.

The team is struggling and I am tired of hearing this garbage about what round Ozzie's kid was drafted. No other team wanted him for 22 rounds either and hten he's mad at KW for not taking him earlier?

And on the Score they said today that KW calls down to the minor leagues to make sure his son is playing even though his minor league manager doesn't think he should??? If this is true then it's a gross abuse of power. It's good to know that the GM of a sucky team that has plenty of holes and flaws is more concerned about his son (who wouldn't even be in pro baseball without his daddy) playing single A ball taking time away from another player.

I'm sick of this.

Go win some damn games instead of making yourselves look like idiots.

Bob

Frontman
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Where's the "if the team keeps winning, do nothing" choice?

If the team finishes as poorly as it started, show both the door; but if they get back into it, with Kenny providing missing components for Ozzie, then why break them up?

soxinem1
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
The soap opera is getting a little tiresome.

Can them both.

PhillipsBubba
06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Ozzie is the problem...he's Ditka without the widow's peak!

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Move KW upstairs to team president. Promote Hahn to GM. Fire Ozzie, Cora and Walker.

TomBradley72
06-11-2010, 09:41 PM
And on the Score they said today that KW calls down to the minor leagues to make sure his son is playing even though his minor league manager doesn't think he should??? If this is true then it's a gross abuse of power. It's good to know that the GM of a sucky team that has plenty of holes and flaws is more concerned about his son (who wouldn't even be in pro baseball without his daddy) playing single A ball taking time away from another player.

I'm sick of this.

Go win some damn games instead of making yourselves look like idiots.

Bob

C'mon....Kenny Jr. is a 24 yr. old DH at Single A hitting .222...how could he not be a legitimate prospect.

Tragg
06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Move KW upstairs to team president. Promote Hahn to GM. Fire Ozzie, Cora and Walker.
Sounds good.
Or do it at the end of the year.
I think both probably need to go, but I'd keep Williams in the organization.
Both Kenny and Oz would probably be better off without each other.

Frontman
06-11-2010, 10:10 PM
C'mon....Kenny Jr. is a 24 yr. old DH at Single A hitting .222...how could he not be a legitimate prospect.

And yet everyone goes after Ozzie for employing his kids. Go fig.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2010, 10:23 PM

Any reason to hate Ozzie.

I think Kenny is just as responsible, if not more so, for the way this season has turned out. And if we're going to rebuild I don't trust Kenny to do that.

Frontman
06-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Any reason to hate Ozzie.

I think Kenny is just as responsible, if not more so, for the way this season has turned out. And if we're going to rebuild I don't trust Kenny to do that.

And Kenny is just as responsible as Ozzie for the hiring of Guillen children. The boss can say no at any point as well.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2010, 10:32 PM
And Kenny is just as responsible as Ozzie for the hiring of Guillen children. The boss can say no at any point as well.

You know, Ozzie has said all the right things in the press about this, but his kids are morons who need to shut their ****ing mouths.

Tragg
06-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I think Guillen has some real weaknesses as a manager (the worst of which is poor talent evaluation; lack of apprecation of obp, etc) but a strong GM should be able to shore up those weaknesses.

The Swisher situation depicts the dysfunction.

Williams identifies obp as a weakness, Guillen mocks mocks it (saying if it's so important, Jim Thome should lead off). So you know there's a not a meeting of the minds.

So to improve obp, Williams trades (3 highly regarded prospects) for the almost prototype player that the "sabremeterics"/"statheads" love and the guys like Guillen hate: Nick Swisher with his low batting average but high OBP.
Not suprisingly, it doesn't work out, Ozzie wants him gone, so Williams basically gives him away. He gives in to Guillen's weaknesses.
That said, organizational politics may be that Guillen has more power and has JR's ear...wouldn't suprise me.

Frontman
06-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I think Guillen has some real weaknesses as a manager (the worst of which is poor talent evaluation; lack of apprecation of obp, etc) but a strong GM should be able to shore up those weaknesses.

Williams identifies obp as a weakness, Guillen mocks mocks it (saying if it's so important, Jim Thome should lead off). So you know there's a not a meeting of the minds.

So to improve obp, Williams trades (3 highly regarded prospects) for the almost prototype player that the "sabremeterics"/"statheads" love and the guys like Guillen hate: Nick Swisher with his low batting average but high OBP.
Not suprisingly, it doesn't work out, Ozzie wants him gone, so Williams basically gives him away. He gives in to Guillen's weaknesses.
That said, organizational politics may be that Guillen has more power and has JR's ear...wouldn't suprise me.

You are leaving out how Swisher also not only wore out his welcome with Ozzie; but the rest of the team as well. Personality does have to play into it.

gobears1987
06-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Seriously, we wasted a 6th round pick on Kenny Jr. People just have an axe to grind against Ozzie so they conveniently forget what Kenny did in drafting his son.

Tragg
06-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Seriously, we wasted a 6th round pick on Kenny Jr. People just have an axe to grind against Ozzie so they conveniently forget what Kenny did in drafting his son.

That Williams drafted his son has been mentioned over and over this thread.
That was wrong.
Guillen's wrong.

This is exactly why you don't draft relatives.

russ99
06-13-2010, 10:17 AM

If anything the Swisher situation damns Kenny.

Ozzie wanted a leadoff man, Kenny gives him Swisher, because you know - he has a good OBP. Ozzie's not the one doing the talent evaluation on the club in this situation. Some could also say we dealt the farm for Swisher because Jerry wouldn't spend in FA.

Ozzie plays Swisher all year, Swisher puts up horrible numbers, sulks and becomes a clubhouse distraction. If Ozzie had any problem with Swish, do you think he would have played so much? Ozzie's problem was due to what Swisher did, not any preconcieved bias against players like so many people assume.

Kenny decided not to ride it out, and dumps Swisher after the season.

What did Ozzie do so incorrectly here? It seems the perceived weaknesses of him as a manager are more about not giving playing time to players you like, or conversely giving playing time to players you don't like.

Ozzie's weaknesses as a manager are going too much with lefty-righty situations and having a quick hook for relievers. Not because he's has "poor talent evaluation" skills. He has 25 guys and sets the lineups and rotation. People need to stop assuming he's the secret GM of the club.

Noneck
06-13-2010, 10:21 AM
That Williams drafted his son has been mentioned over and over this thread.
That was wrong.
Guillen's wrong.

This is exactly why you don't draft relatives.

It is wrong and its ownerships fault for letting it happen.

palehozenychicty
06-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Both.

These are the problems, especially the bolded one.

palehozenychicty
06-13-2010, 10:29 AM
The farm system deal I think comes from JR, when the Sunshine Boys bought the club in 81 I will never forget Einhorns take on farm systems; that they were overated and money was better spent on free agents.
So i give KW a pass on that.

Well, the game is shifting towards younger talent producing at a high level. Only buying old, cheap free agents and crossing fingers is not going to win this franchise another title, especially for one that doesn't outbid teams. JR needs to wake up and smell the baseball coffee. No amphetamines involved today.

PhillipsBubba
06-13-2010, 12:28 PM

KW loves his son and wants the best for him. Who among us wouldn't do the same.

I'm sure at some point KW, will take his son aside and tell him the facts of baseball life. I wouldn't respect him if he didn't do everything he could for his kid!

Daver
06-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Ron Schueler drafted his daughter.

SI1020
06-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Keep them both. I don't really care how uncomfortable they are working together, they are a good combination. Maybe at one time they were but not any more. Is the euphoria of 05 permanent where these guys are concerned?

voodoochile
06-13-2010, 01:08 PM
KW loves his son and wants the best for him. Who among us wouldn't do the same.

I'm sure at some point KW, will take his son aside and tell him the facts of baseball life. I wouldn't respect him if he didn't do everything he could for his kid!

Yeah, and it's not like he got the Danny Ferry treatment and he was a legitimate draftee apparently, just went a few rounds early and yeah there are lots of guys who would do the same thing for their kid. Certainly you'd take him earlier than he was projected just to be sure he was in your farm system I'd think.

Where was Ozney projected to go in the draft if at all?

Railsplitter
06-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Get rid Kenny and Ozzie. Get somebody with difrent ideas in charge of the front office and on the field

A. Cavatica
06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Ron Schueler drafted his daughter.

She was probably a better player than Oney.

GoGoCrede
06-13-2010, 04:59 PM
She was probably a better player than Oney.

A lot of people are, so that's not really saying much. :cool: