PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose Corked Bat Identified

Brian26
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
This is an amazing story. If you have some time, check out the thread from Game Used Universe to read it in its entirety. I'll give you a quick version:

A collector owns a Pete Rose game used bat that be bought several years ago. That collector recently came across an old Beckett Baseball Card magazine and noticed the cover has a picture of Rose with what appears to be the same bat. After some high-res photo research, he "photo-matches" the bat on the cover photo as the bat he owns.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=198939&postcount=1

There have been rumors through the years that Rose corked his bat, but it has never been proven. After some nagging by others, this collector had his bat x-rayed, and cork is there:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=203285&postcount=11

So, now there's a huge controversy. Some Rose defenders claim the bat was tampered with sometime between the original photo (1985) and when it was sold to the collector (1995). Others state this is not a story at all because it's been well-documented that Rose corked his bats all the time.

october23sp
06-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Deadspin also offers a pretty good story, clearly his bats were corked at this time, but from what has been tested, corking does nothing.

http://deadspin.com/5555714/this-is-pete-roses-corked-bat?skyline=true&s=i

pythons007
06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Deadspin also offers a pretty good story, clearly his bats were corked at this time, but from what has been tested, corking does nothing.

http://deadspin.com/5555714/this-is-pete-roses-corked-bat?skyline=true&s=i

It does if you're a hitter of Rose, Pierre, and Podsednik's caliber. Corking doesn't make the ball go faster, however it does make your bat lighter, which will increase your bat speed inducing more balls put in play. If you're Albert Pujols it doesn't help, because the ball isn't going to be flying off the bat at the same speed.

russ99
06-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Totally proves my point on Rose.

Used PED's (uppers), corked his bat, bet on baseball.

Once a cheater, always a cheater. Keep him out of the Hall.

Bob Roarman
06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Well if a player using PEDs is part of your weeding out process, you might as well throw just about everyone out of the Hall right now.

TDog
06-11-2010, 08:02 PM
It does if you're a hitter of Rose, Pierre, and Podsednik's caliber. Corking doesn't make the ball go faster, however it does make your bat lighter, which will increase your bat speed inducing more balls put in play. If you're Albert Pujols it doesn't help, because the ball isn't going to be flying off the bat at the same speed.

Not to mention that using a corked bat shows an intent to cheat outside of the rules. Whether it helped him or not, It shows he was a dishonest player.

voodoochile
06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Well the fact Pete corked his bat "all the time" is news to me, so that argument doesn't mean anything to me.

For the people claiming the bat was tampered with after it was sold, explain why someone would do that. If the answer is "to **** with our beloved Pete", I have to admit I find that argument dubious at best, but it fits with the times where no one ever does anything wrong and everything is a conspiracy.

If Pete hadn't proven himself to be a lying cheating self-serving piece of **** long ago, I might be more inclined to listen to those arguments, but at this point in time, if you told me Pete was ShamME* in makeup, I'd be inclined to accept it was worth looking into.

Hey Pete,

:corker

Or do I have to pay for that too?

Oblong
06-12-2010, 12:26 AM
If this is true, and regardless of whether it actually helped him or not, the belief at the time is that it would, this really changes nothing about my opinion of him. He's still the same scumbag and still hasn't gotten what he deserved.

#1swisher
06-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Did you have to use Pods as an example:angry:

TheVulture
06-12-2010, 08:32 PM
If the answer is "to **** with our beloved Pete", I have to admit I find that argument dubious at best, but it fits with the times where no one ever does anything wrong and everything is a conspiracy.

Not that I doubt Rose corked his bat, but a single individual could, in the scenerio you describe, have corked the bat in attempt to further defame Rose without another aiding him, and as such there would be no conspiracy.

voodoochile
06-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Not that I doubt Rose corked his bat, but a single individual could, in the scenerio you describe, have corked the bat in attempt to further defame Rose without another aiding him, and as such there would be no conspiracy.

Okay, instead of conspiracy, call it a nefarious plot... You're talking about semantics...

FielderJones
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Well if a player using PEDs is part of your weeding out process, you might as well throw just about everyone out of the Hall right now.

Beer counts as a PED?? :scratch:

http://biker-wear.biker-crossroads.com/media/biker-gifts/rustic-signs/Sports/MD-BabeRuth.jpg