PDA

View Full Version : When will Harper be in the big leagues?

Moses_Scurry
06-09-2010, 12:00 PM
After seeing the Strasburg debut, I want Harper on the Nationals ASAP. I know he's really young, but what are the experts predicting? Next year in June? The following year?

Coops4Aces
06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
After seeing the Strasburg debut, I want Harper on the Nationals ASAP. I know he's really young, but what are the experts predicting? Next year in June? The following year?

I've heard 2-3 years. He's only 17 I think so that's not surprising.

EDIT: Damn he's young

doublem23
06-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I've heard 2-3 years. He's only 18 I think so that's not surprising.

He's not even 18 yet, not until October.

sox1970
06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
June, 2013.

VMSNS
06-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I thought I read on ESPN that if the Nats decide to move him to the OF, he could be ready in 3 years. I assume that means if they leave him at catcher, he'll probably need a little longer.

palehozenychicty
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Probably '13. He needs to buy beer first. :redneck

pythons007
06-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Some reports say he'll be the next player to play before the age of 20. I read or heard that on ESPN.

FireMariotti
06-10-2010, 09:09 PM
I know he's hyped up to be this once in a generation player, but i'll wait until he sees some professional pitching regularly and grows accustomed to playing at a higher level before making a prediction. He's already got the weight of the world on his shoulders and he's only 17! The kid has a whole lot of growing up to do IMO.

soxfanreggie
06-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe a late 2012 call-up if they are in the hunt, but most likely sometime in 2013.

KRS1
06-14-2010, 04:07 AM
I'll just say this, those numbers he put up with a wood bat regardless of competition are ****ing ridiculous for ANYONE, let alone a 17 year old. I think he'll break in before 20.

PushinWeight
06-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Didn't Griffey and Andru Jones break into the league at age 18? Maybe this Harper kid is in the same mold of these guys and we'll see him some time next season in the show, but who knows really.

sox1970
06-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Didn't Griffey and Andruw Jones break into the league at age 18? Maybe this Harper kid is in the same mold of these guys and we'll see him some time next season in the show, but who knows really.

No.

guillensdisciple
06-16-2010, 02:47 PM
The Nationals could have a hell of team really soon.

TDog
06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Didn't Griffey and Andru Jones break into the league at age 18? Maybe this Harper kid is in the same mold of these guys and we'll see him some time next season in the show, but who knows really.

Ken Griffey Jr. played a full season for the Mariners at age 19. His father also played for the Mariners that season. That was 1989. Griffey was the first player selected in the 1987 draft and broke in on the opening day roster in 1989.

Andruw Jones debuted at age 19 in mid-August for the Braves and was a regular the following year. He was signed as an amateur free agent out of Curacao at the age of 16, being exempt from the baseball draft.

Alex Rodriguez made his debut for the Mariners at age 18 as a July call-up less than a year after he was the first player taken in the 1993 draft. He couldn't hit at all. He had a slugging percentage of .204, which was the same as his batting average because he didn't have any extra-base hits. He was 0-for-5 with three strikeouts in two games against the White Sox.

Of course, that was an abbreviated baseball season. I wondered why the Mariners brought him up with the strike looming when he could have continued to work on his game in the minor leagues. He did OK regardless.

Joe Nuxhall pitched in a major league game for the Reds when he was 15. He gave up five earned runs in two-thirds of an inning. That was six days after the D-Day landing and the war had depleted the Reds roster. Warren Spahn didn't pitch for the Reds, but as an example of what hings were like, Spahn was under fire in Europe. Fortunately, Spahn helped win the Battle of the Bulge etc. It was eight more years before Nuxhall threw another major league pitch and 21 years before he took a no-hitter into the bottom of the eighth against the Astros, settling for a one-hit shutout.

But I digress.

Dub25
06-16-2010, 10:13 PM
I heard something about him approaching a pitch like a softball player??? Something about feet moving and his head moving with it? Did anyone else catch this? Once the coaches correct that then he will be up.