PDA

View Full Version : Cactus League on Shaky Financial Footing

Viva Medias B's
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Here is a good article out of The Arizona Republic about the financial state of the Cactus League.

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/cactus/articles/2010/06/06/20100606cactus-league-trouble.html)

TDog
06-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Here is a good article out of The Arizona Republic about the financial state of the Cactus League.

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/cactus/articles/2010/06/06/20100606cactus-league-trouble.html)

The White Sox' Glendale facilities are nicer than their former Tucson facilities, although for the fans going to spring training games, there isn't much difference. There isn't a huge difference between Tucson Electric and the park at Camelback Ranch. The current park is more expensive to visit, and the idea of $100 luxury box seats for spring training games is ridiculous. For players, it is more difficult to pick up the ball in the current spring home because of the color scheme that was supposed to blend into the desert.

Of course, the area around Camelback Ranch is empty. There are housing developments to the east and south, but if you're going to see White Sox spring training games, you are probably going to sleep and eat in Phoenix and not Glendale. And Camelback Ranch is pretty far west by Glendale standards. If you stay in a hotel off Black Canyon Freeway, you are almost as convenient as if you stay in Glendale.

Glendale and a couple of other cities in the Phoenix metroplex shouldn't have overextended themselves to attract spring training teams. Mesa and Scottsdale, on the east side of Phoenix, have longstanding Cactus League traditions where they got community support for their spring teams. As Arizona grows and the economy stagnates if not worsens, the chances of maintaining such community loyalties will be difficult enough. The chances of getting communities (where residents increasingly see MLB teams as a burden) to support multiple spring teams.

It's shaking out pretty much the way I told Gov. Fife Symington it would after the law passed to protect the threatened Cactus League was first used to steal the Padres from Yuma. The last I heard, the Padres scheduled one spring game a year in Yuma with all seats selling for $3 to remind people of what was really cool about the old Cactus League.

Steelrod
06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
The White Sox' Glendale facilities are nicer than their former Tucson facilities, although for the fans going to spring training games, there isn't much difference. There isn't a huge difference between Tucson Electric and the park at Camelback Ranch. The current park is more expensive to visit, and the idea of $100 luxury box seats for spring training games is ridiculous. For players, it is more difficult to pick up the ball in the current spring home because of the color scheme that was supposed to blend into the desert.

Tdog, the $100 seats are a memory, just like Tucson. That Dodger idea wasn't continued in year two at Camelback.

MarySwiss
06-07-2010, 06:09 PM

I guess "good" all depends on how you look at things. And I am sorry that you find an article about financial troubles--real or not--in the Cactus League a "good" one.

Whether you think so or not, Viva, there are those of us who actually live here who do not subscribe to your often-expressed point of view, i.e., Maricopa County = bad. It's a matter of opinion. And I most emphatically do not agree with yours. The Sox are gone from Tucson. And that's that.

TDog
06-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Tdog, the $100 seats are a memory, just like Tucson. That Dodger idea wasn't continued in year two at Camelback.

I got that from a brochure I saw when I was in Glendale in January. Apparently, it was a year old.

AZChiSoxFan
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
It's shaking out pretty much the way I told Gov. Fife Symington it would after the law passed to protect the threatened Cactus League was first used to steal the Padres from Yuma. The last I heard, the Padres scheduled one spring game a year in Yuma with all seats selling for $3 to remind people of what was really cool about the old Cactus League.

:rolleyes:

Just like you told him huh? So the fact that in the middle of a recession it's not quite the cash cow it was proves you correct, despite the fact that it's been a gold mine financially for almost 20 years after the law was passed? Seems to me that memories are running a little short. Without passage of that law, the cactus league would have been history 15-20 years ago.

AZChiSoxFan
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I guess "good" all depends on how you look at things. And I am sorry that you find an article about financial troubles--real or not--in the Cactus League a "good" one.

Whether you think so or not, Viva, there are those of us who actually live here who do not subscribe to your often-expressed point of view, i.e., Maricopa County = bad. It's a matter of opinion. And I most emphatically do not agree with yours. The Sox are gone from Tucson. And that's that.

Well said Mary.

TDog
06-08-2010, 01:16 AM
:rolleyes:

Just like you told him huh? So the fact that in the middle of a recession it's not quite the cash cow it was proves you correct, despite the fact that it's been a gold mine financially for almost 20 years after the law was passed? Seems to me that memories are running a little short. Without passage of that law, the cactus league would have been history 15-20 years ago.

The recession was inevitable. If the spring training were the cash cow you believe it is, and taxpayers were told it would be, Tucson would have done more to keep the Cactus League from leaving.

The law should have given taxpayer-funded breaks only for teams that were training outside of Arizona. Symington didn't spearhead the law. That was the previous governor Rose Mofford, and I know she told me she was sorry that it was used to deprive Yuma of a spring training team. Yuma used to be a day trip, a three-hour dive for Padres fans living in the San Diego area, so it deprived many Padres fans of spring training trips especially when the ticket prices at the new, more distant spring training site was higher.

Instead of maintaining the Cactus League as an Arizona institution, it turned the Cactus League into a Maricopa County attraction for which first state and then local taxpayers were required to foot the bills because the demands of the teams always exceeded the financial benefits to the communities. Spring training in Tucson meant a lot to the economy, and they held the line on how much they were going to spend. I didn't see any way Glendale was going to benefit from Camelback Ranch because most visitors aren't going to eat and sleep in Glendale.

I think taxpayers are fed up. That is why the league-wide ticket surcharge was proposed to keep the Cubs in Mesa. It was the fairest alternative.

FloridaTigers
06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Sucks for you guys for leaving Florida :rolleyes: