PDA

View Full Version : WSI Subscriptions

voodoochile
06-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Hey folks,
This is actually a plea for help. After last year's glut, subscriptions have fallen off substantially this year. We realize that times are tight, but we'd prefer not to have to go to ads to keep this place going though that's looking more and more like the minium possibility if the renewals keep falling.

We really appreciate everything all of the subscribers have done to keep this place going even if you let it lapse this year, we are thankful you gave what you could. If you let it lapse due to forgetfulness and were planning on renewing but just haven't gotten around to it, hopefully this will serve as a reminder.

If you are considering subscribing for the first time, simply click the green link at the top right of each and every forum or visit your userCP and scroll down to paid subscriptions in the left column and follow the instructions.

Again, thanks to everyone who subscribed and hopefully we can get enough other people to do their part and keep this place up and running and commercial free as the best Sox site on the Internet...

TheCommander
06-06-2010, 02:32 PM
I intended to join from the get-go, but then ran into some financially rough times. Not out of the woods yet, but just signed up for a Bronze membership. Thanks to WSI for everything!

october23sp
06-06-2010, 03:05 PM
I got my silver membership when I got my job, very worth it.

GoGoCrede
06-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I hope it all works out. Mine doesn't run out till December, but I still plan on renewing.

GoGoCrede
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
By the way, is it possible for people to make one-time donations? I think I remember that being an option last year.

KenBerryGrab
06-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Come join us in The Bards' Room.

soltrain21
06-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I just ordered a silver subscription.

Hitmen77
06-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I renewed my gold subscription in April. Definitely worth the money to support the best Sox site on the Internet.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I am going to get a bronze. I have been meaning to do it this year, but really just forget about it. :D:

Rocky Soprano
06-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I keep forgetting to get a subscription, thanks for the reminder. I love this place and would be happy to help.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I re-upped a couple of months ago. This is a cool site.

kobo
06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the reminder, just ordered a silver subscription.

Woofer
06-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I wish I could afford the Gold. I encourage everyone to donate to our favorite website.

LongLiveFisk
06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
I went from Silver last year to Gold this year. Was glad to do it, and glad I got around to it before I lost my job!

By the way, has there ever been any thought to deleting some members who are obviously no longer "active"? I don't know how much bandwidth, if any, that would save because I don't have any knowledge of that kind of stuff. But if it does, why not send an e-mail to members who have not visited the site in over a year (or two) and tell them if they don't reply by a certain time, their profile will be deactivated?

Just a thought. :dunno:

voodoochile
06-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I went from Silver last year to Gold this year. Was glad to do it, and glad I got around to it before I lost my job!

By the way, has there ever been any thought to deleting some members who are obviously no longer "active"? I don't know how much bandwidth, if any, that would save because I don't have any knowledge of that kind of stuff. But if it does, why not send an e-mail to members who have not visited the site in over a year (or two) and tell them if they don't reply by a certain time, their profile will be deactivated?

Just a thought. :dunno:

We do clean up user names that haven't visited in over a year if they have zero posts, but deleting inactive users with posts actually makes it harder on the server as it screws up the database.

But to answer your question, I don't believe the amount of users has anything to do with the bandwidth. That's all about hits and downloads which by definition is activity. Inactive users occupy memory on the hard drive, but that's not a huge issue. In fact it's probably a very small amount of memory as it's simply a text file.

Tragg
06-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I thought I had renewed my subscription in April. I guess I didn't. My apologies.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

voodoochile
06-20-2010, 09:09 PM
I thought I had renewed my subscription in April. I guess I didn't. My apologies.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

Go to your UserCP then scroll down the left column to paid subscriptions and do the same thing you did the first time.

Tragg
06-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Go to your UserCP then scroll down the left column to paid subscriptions and do the same thing you did the first time.
Thanks. I got it.
You can back date the subscription to April.
I am able to do my share to support the site and certainly intend to.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Glad to help keep this crazy place the #1 White Sox site in the world!

Consider this my thanks for keeping this place so awesome!

voodoochile
06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks. I got it.
You can back date the subscription to April.
I am able to do my share to support the site and certainly intend to.

I wouldn't know how to do that. Don't worry about it, we really appreciate the support.

jcw218
06-20-2010, 10:21 PM
I know I don't post that often, but I visit almost every day and I enjoy the site the way it is, without advertising. I'm happy to support this site with a membership and will continue to do so as long as feasibly possible.

LongLiveFisk
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
I know I don't post that often, but I visit almost every day and I enjoy the site the way it is, without advertising. I'm happy to support this site with a membership and will continue to do so as long as feasibly possible.

I feel the same way.

And I just realized today is my 7-year anniversary as a WSI member. :D::gulp:

whitesox4eva
06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't know if this is the place to post this question if not please move this thread where ever needed but I was just thinking about subscribing and I've got a question what is invisible mode?

Also I didn't see this in the subscription post, this isn't reoccurring payments is it? In other words, once my membership is up (if I choose to pay for one) it won't reapply for me correct?

GoGoCrede
06-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't know if this is the place to post this question if not please move this thread where ever needed but I was just thinking about subscribing and I've got a question what is invisible mode?

Also I didn't see this in the subscription post, this isn't reoccurring payments is it? In other words, once my membership is up (if I choose to pay for one) it won't reapply for me correct?

Invisible mode means people can't see when you're on WSI. It's only for Gold Members.

No, auto-renew is turned off, thank God. I hate sites who do auto-renew.

whitesox4eva
06-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Invisible mode means people can't see when you're on WSI. It's only for Gold Members.

No, auto-renew is turned off, thank God. I hate sites who do auto-renew.

Yea mlb.com does that, for the monthly memberships and I just realized that, and I don't even use the video there anymore because I have comcast sports net so frustrating.

voodoochile
06-22-2010, 08:58 PM

GGC already answered your questions, but I merged your post with the other subscription thread to keep the info in one place for people who want it.

Thanks for considering a subscription. If you have more questions, post them in this thread.

soxlady8
06-22-2010, 09:11 PM
I have emailed the site here twice (once last year
and once this year )about sending an actual check for a subscription.

I do not have a pay pal account so I cannot do it that way.

Please notify me and I will be happy to contribute to this site as I visit it almost on a daily basis.

thanks-- Soxlady8

voodoochile
06-22-2010, 09:14 PM
I have emailed the site here twice (once last year
and once this year )about sending an actual check for a subscription.

I do not have a pay pal account so I cannot do it that way.

Please notify me and I will be happy to contribute to this site as I visit it almost on a daily basis.

thanks-- Soxlady8

You don't need a paypal account, just a credit card. Once you click through to the paypal site, you are offered the chance to pay with one.

soxlady8
06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks VDC -- I thought you could only contribute through
Pay Pal ---

I had a horrible , horrible , incident vial Pay Pal so I cancelled that --

soxlady8
06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Well I guess I did not cancel it --
I put my cc through so hopefully it will be allright --

JimmyJoe
07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I just purchased a gold subscription. How do I go about getting my personalized signature?

october23sp
07-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I just purchased a gold subscription. How do I go about getting my personalized signature?

You don't need a gold subscription to get a signature but to change your signature.

User CP>Edit Signature.

voodoochile
07-06-2010, 05:50 PM

You can add a signature by going to your user CP (see the black row below the red hyperlinks at the top of this page) then clicking on edit signature in the left column of links. After that it's like creating a post for these forums.

kufram
07-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Ok, I thought I should do my bit and have been christened a silver member. For 13.42 it is worth to support the site and enjoy loving and hating posts.

Nellie_Fox
07-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Ok, I thought I should do my bit and have been christened a silver member. For 13.42 it is worth to support the site and enjoy loving and hating posts.Thanks kufram. :tiphat:

kufram
07-18-2010, 04:27 AM
Ummm... errr... not to appear TOTALLY stupid, but I'm not sure how to get to my userCP page. I stumbled onto it in the end.

kufram
07-18-2010, 04:30 AM
GULP! Never mind ..I see it now. I knew it would be rediculously obvious to me as soon as I posted that I couldn't find it.

Streets
07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I was wondering if there can be a limit to flash use on a users Avatar?

It's very annoying, distracting and bothersome to the eye. Almost to a point where I'd think about blocking a user just to not see their flash avatar!

A picture works just fine, no? I assume flash uses more "juice" so to speak.

I love this site, I'd love to help support it financially, but I'm going on 10 months of being unemployed.

If it takes "subscribing" to get my voice heard then I suppose I'll have to come up with some money, eh?

Daver
07-31-2010, 10:17 AM
I was wondering if there can be a limit to flash use on a users Avatar?

It's very annoying, distracting and bothersome to the eye. Almost to a point where I'd think about blocking a user just to not see their flash avatar!

A picture works just fine, no? I assume flash uses more "juice" so to speak.

I love this site, I'd love to help support it financially, but I'm going on 10 months of being unemployed.

If it takes "subscribing" to get my voice heard then I suppose I'll have to come up with some money, eh?

Go to your user CP. select edit options, and uncheck the box next to display Avatars.

CLR01
07-31-2010, 10:17 AM
You can set your the options in your UserCP to not show avatas.

Streets
07-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Thank you both.

Vienna
08-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks again to the staff and admins. I haven't been able to participate on the board as much as I'd like, but I love knowing that WSI is there. Also, thanks for the reminder.

Also, I hope to see some WSI folks on Aug 8 at the Grinder Bash.

Brewski
03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I thought there was a way to make a one-time contribution but I can't find it. I want to contribute by check, not credit card or PayPal. Do you have a mailing address?