PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Bell's impact and other questions

eastchicagosoxfan
06-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Has Buddy Bell made an impact on the minor league system? Is the system heading in the right direction? Five years from now can/will the Sox have a productive minor league system? I really don't follow the minors much, other than the names of guys rumored to be on their way to the show.

DirtySox
06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Has Buddy Bell made an impact on the minor league system? Is the system heading in the right direction? Five years from now can/will the Sox have a productive minor league system? I really don't follow the minors much, other than the names of guys rumored to be on their way to the show.

No, no, maybe.

Daver
06-06-2010, 01:15 PM
No, no, maybe.

No,no,and no is probably closer to correct.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
No, no, maybe.
With two no's, how is there are a maybe? If the sox get on the right track, how long will it take to develop a sound farm system? Three drafts? Four drafts? Thank you for your answers.

Daver
06-06-2010, 01:23 PM
With two no's, how is there are a maybe? If the sox get on the right track, how long will it take to develop a sound farm system? Three drafts? Four drafts? Thank you for your answers.

Define "right track".

The first thing the Sox need to address is scouting, until they do that the next step will never happen.

DirtySox
06-06-2010, 01:32 PM

It's a maybe because there is still quite a bit of uncertainty. Though with the track record of failure in developing talent, the below average spending on the draft, international free agency and scouting, I would be inclined to lean towards no as Daver said. Monday and Tuesday will likely offer a big indication of what direction the organization is going. With the abysmal state of the farm and a bad major league club with no reinforcements in sight, maybe a change in philosophy is on the horizon. I seriously doubt it, but there is a chance. If draft spending is cut this year because of a decline in revenue due to the White Sox failure at the big league level, things will look even more bleak.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Define "right track".

The first thing the Sox need to address is scouting, until they do that the next step will never happen.
Right track? The players in the minors have the training to suceed at the MLB level. I'm not quite sure how to define right track.

dickallen15
06-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Buddy Bell gets more praise for no accomplishment than anyone ever involved with the White Sox. As soon as I see some production at the major league level from White Sox farmhands he has had a role in developing, he will get credit from me. I still see that as a ways off.

DirtySox
06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
buddy bell gets more praise for no accomplishment than anyone ever involved with the white sox. As soon as i see some production at the major league level from white sox farmhands he has had a role in developing, he will get credit from me. I still see that as a ways off.

+1

jabrch
06-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Many here know a lot more about the system than I do. I have no clue how to guage Bell's impact for many years since I only see a few of these kids once a year when I get out to a minor league game or two...I don't have anything close to enough perspective to know...Seriously - Kudos to those who do - I wish I knew more about the system.

Daver
06-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Right track? The players in the minors have the training to suceed at the MLB level. I'm not quite sure how to define right track.

They would need to change the philosophy they currently use to promote players to start.

doublem23
06-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Buddy Bell gets more praise for no accomplishment than anyone ever involved with the White Sox. As soon as I see some production at the major league level from White Sox farmhands he has had a role in developing, he will get credit from me. I still see that as a ways off.

How is it his fault that KW has raided the minor league system of all its possible MLB-ready talent in 2010?

I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, of course, but how does it fall solely on the player development staff when the top prospects from your system are used to bring in other pieces? Gio Gonzalez, Ryan Sweeney, Clayton Richard, and John Ely are all former Sox farmhands who have been dealt since 2008 who are having nice little seasons elsewhere in the Majors.

DirtySox
06-06-2010, 03:25 PM
How is it his fault that KW has raided the minor league system of all its possible MLB-ready talent in 2010?

I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, of course, but how does it fall solely on the player development staff when the top prospects from your system are used to bring in other pieces? Gio Gonzalez, Ryan Sweeney, Clayton Richard, and John Ely are all former Sox farmhands who have been dealt since 2008 who are having nice little seasons elsewhere in the Majors.

This is true, but I think the statement was made due to recent (within the year) statements about Buddy Bell, and the farm heading in the right direction etc. I don't think the blame falls entirely on Buddy, as he's limited largely to who he is given, and what he and Laumann are allocated. I imagine Daver and many others have problems with unwarranted promotions and one-sided players. The big problem stems from higher up in the organization as you said. I don't think he deserves huge criticism, but I also don't think he's warranted much, if any, praise either.

Daver
06-06-2010, 03:34 PM

The White Sox system as it is constituted now and has been for quite a few years is not geared to develop talent, it is geared to showcase talent to be used to acquire proven talent.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-06-2010, 05:45 PM
The White Sox system as it is constituted now and has been for quite a few years is not geared to develop talent, it is geared to showcase talent to be used to acquire proven talent.

That would be the right track I'm lookking for. Not to acquire talent via trade, but to develop talent to play for the Sox.

dickallen15
06-06-2010, 05:55 PM

That may or may not be true, but what can anyone be basing positives about him? Those guys certainly didn't display the abilities they are currently showing or they wouldn't have been traded.

doublem23
06-07-2010, 11:05 AM
That may or may not be true, but what can anyone be basing positives about him? Those guys certainly didn't display the abilities they are currently showing or they wouldn't have been traded.

I don't necessarily think that's true. Gio and Sweeney were dealt to get Swisher, who is considered a failure around these parts because he got played out of a position and sulked like a crybaby, but has magically been an above average player at every other stop on his professional career. Richard started something like 22 games for the Sox in his two seasons here and was one of the big fish in the trade for the Ghost of Jake Peavy. Ely is the only who got away, I guess, since all we got for him was ****ty, ****ty Juan Pierre, but there was some logic behind that move, too. The Sox rotation looked to be deep and set for a while, so it's not like Ely had much upwards potential going into this year; at best he would have been #7 on the SP organizational depth chart, and the Sox were DESPERATELY in need of a lead-off hitter since Scotty Pods went crazy this off-season and confused himself with Manny Ramirez, so they overpaid for one from a position of supposed strength.

06-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't know if this is relavent but I was listening to Clayton Richard being interviewed on the local radio the other day. He didn't exactly say anything too bad about the White Sox organization but he really emphasized how since arriving at the Padres he has been blown away by the coaching. There were things that he said the White Sox did not work with him on. Actually, I think the only nice thing he had to say was that Mark Buehrle really helped him with his pace on the mound.

gosox41
06-07-2010, 11:39 PM

You're more optimistic then me.

KW has done a horrible job running with the farm system. I see no reason for optimism until he's gone. This is his 10th draft and what do we have to show form the farm system.

I've been railing on this issue for years and I remember a certain individual who posts (or used to post here) who thought himself a minor league expert and basically insulted my lack of knowledge. He assured me that it takes years to rebuild a system and that Schueler created a mess to fix. I personally never had an issue with Schueler.

I do have an issue with KW's inability to realize the importance of having a productive farm system. I have my theories why things are bad, but don't follow it closely enough. All I know is the results of the last 10 drafts speak for themselves and this is pretty much GIGO--Garbage in, Garbage out.

So KW's inability to draft and devlop talent---or hire the right people with the right philosophies and the right scouts--to do that pretty much makes this upcoming rebuilding process a long, painful one.

At least this one individual should be quite happy. He said it's hard to maintain a good farm system when consistently picking in the teens and twenties with your first round pick. The way things are set up now, the Sox should have a few top 10 picks in their future. What's going to be the excuse when those guys fail?

It pisses me off to say it, but I think it's going to be a long, painful 3-5 years for Sox fans, unless of course they decide to deficit spend to get people out to the stadium.

Bob

SI1020
06-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't know if this is relavent but I was listening to Clayton Richard being interviewed on the local radio the other day. He didn't exactly say anything too bad about the White Sox organization but he really emphasized how since arriving at the Padres he has been blown away by the coaching. There were things that he said the White Sox did not work with him on. Actually, I think the only nice thing he had to say was that Mark Buehrle really helped him with his pace on the mound. More evidence that the Sox are lousy at coaching and teaching at every level and phase of the game.

TomBradley72
06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I've heard Buddy Bell was the primary advocate for bringing in Teahen for 3rd base from KC...for that alone, he should be shunned.

Hitmen77
06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I've heard Buddy Bell was the primary advocate for bringing in Teahen for 3rd base from KC...for that alone, he should be shunned.

...but did he tell Kenny to extend Teahen for 3 years such that we owe him 4.75 million next year and 5.5 million in 2012?

Teahen didn't make or break the 2010 Sox. But when the Sox cry poor next offseason and say they have their payroll all locked up already, that $10.25 million we still owe Teahen will look big.