PDA

View Full Version : *Official* When It Rains, It Pours 6/5 Postgame Thread

Shoeless
06-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Discuss

LITTLE NELL
06-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Why can't these guys hit, 2 runs in this series against the Tribe. That is so sad.

cleanwsox
06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
2 runs in 2 games against the only team in the AL with a higher team ERA then us this year.

White Sox Baseball!

theamb
http://www.logoi.com/pastimages/img/titanic_3.jpg

If anyone is left, this is your last call to abandon ship.

Repeat..this is your last call

DirtySox
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/934235221/Maria2_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/scottmerkin) scottmerkin (http://twitter.com/scottmerkin)

White Sox fall 3-1. Slip to a season-worst nine under .500. They are now 3-8 against the Indians this season. 3 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/15525212970) via web

LITTLE NELL
06-05-2010, 10:00 PM

I still love the Sox, I'm going down with the ship.

PhillipsBubba
06-05-2010, 10:01 PM
....but golly-gee...all we need to do is get on a hot streak....

Woofer
This may be the worst Sox team I've personally witnessed. That goes back to 77.

GoGoCrede
Yeah, I don't think I can take much more of this.

LITTLE NELL
06-05-2010, 10:02 PM

You are lucky, you didn't see 68,69 and 70.

Brian26

'88, '89 and '99 were pretty bad. '89 and '99 were both salvaged by decent 2nd half runs.

Nelfox02
Cant pin this one on Jake, he threw a nice a game, my only positive

After tonight, I offcially give up on the Sox this year, I am no longer watching and wasting my time with this. I am a huge fan of baseball, and the White Sox are my team, but sorry I just cant watch or support this team anymore I will watch other teams games to satisfy my baseball fix

This was the home stand where they made a statement as to wheter or not they wanted to continue this season with the team that broke camp, every player to a man knew it, and this team has played simply terrible so my response to them is buh bye

the fan police can call me a bad fan, and maybe I am.....but come opening day next year I will be back on board, I am assuming we are going to see a garbage team in 2011, but I will be there watching and rooting and at least given them the oppurtunity to utterly dissapoint me

see you later white sox baseball 2010, thanks for absolutely nothing

GoGoCrede
06-05-2010, 10:03 PM
You are lucky, you didn't see 68,69 and 70.

My generation (I was born in '88) is so spoiled. We're lucky we didn't see those teams.

LITTLE NELL
06-05-2010, 10:04 PM
My generation (I was born in '88) is so spoiled. We're lucky we didn't see those teams.

It was hard to take after 17 straight winning seasons.

Jurr
06-05-2010, 10:04 PM
This offense is an indictment on the front office and coaching staff. Terrible.
To have a team with pretty good talent play worse and (inexcusably) with less effort than the Pittsburgh f'n Pirates is beyond anything I can describe.

Blow it up. Start with the top and move on down.

GoGoCrede
06-05-2010, 10:05 PM
It was hard to take after 17 straight winning seasons.

That must have been nice! I really wish I could have seen the 1959 team. I adore Billy Pierce.

Tragg
06-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Although Sox DHs are struggling at the plate, Ozzie's insistence on good defense from his designated hitters will pay off in the long run.
Olney said it best - Thome made the Sox soft.

sox1970
06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Although Sox DHs are struggling at the plate, Ozzie's insistence on good defense from his designated hitters will pay off in the long run.

You mean Oney Guillen, not Buster Olney.

LITTLE NELL
06-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank God for golf, at least I can take out my frustrations on hitting the little white ball and forget about the inability of the Sox to hit their white ball.

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Pathetic.

Not only do they suck, but they have no heart.

Jurr
06-05-2010, 10:10 PM

This is a team that is fat and happy. The veterans are declining and are just loving the fact that they have a job (most with good contracts).

The only guy with some real incentive to produce (Konerko) is doing just that, which makes me question his leadership abilities. Yeah, Paul. Come to spring training in shape and ready to mash in your contract year. Great.

Guillen's act has gotten old. Yes, he had a great season in 2005.

Look at his team's record since the All-Star break of 2006. This record is an absolute outrage. The free pass is GONE. Broom his ass.

Woofer
06-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Thank God for golf, at least I can take out my frustrations on hitting the little white ball and forget about the inability of the Sox to hit their white ball.

My sons little league baseball has kept us really busy this season. That's a good thing.

JermaineDye05
06-05-2010, 10:11 PM
oh the huge manatee

LongLiveFisk
06-05-2010, 10:13 PM

Well then I am old enough to tell you how lucky you are also to not have seen the 1986, 1987, 1988 AND especially the 1989 season! :o:

sox1970
06-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Pathetic.

Not only do they suck, but they have no heart.

Pretty much. Greg Walker was on with Chris Rongey today, and he had some interesting things to say about some of the players. They all sound like a bunch of babies. Here's the podcast if you care to listen:

http://wscr.cbslocal.com/2010/06/05/white-sox-hitting-coach-greg-walker-shares-the-latest-with-cubs/#more-15705

thomas35forever
06-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Well that was craptacular. So typical of this team. I can't believe I'm just a few days away from ending my school year and people have given up on this team (though frankly, I don't blame you). I'll get to a game this summer, but for all intents and purposes, it could be my only one. I didn't think anything could top 2007, but this could be it.

soltrain21
06-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Pretty much. Greg Walker was on with Chris Rongey today, and he had some interesting things to say about some of the players. They all sound like a bunch of babies. Here's the podcast if you care to listen:

http://wscr.cbslocal.com/2010/06/05/white-sox-hitting-coach-greg-walker-shares-the-latest-with-cubs/#more-15705

Would you be a peach and tell us what he said?

GoGoCrede
06-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Seconded. Too lazy to listen, but I would like to know what was said.

VMSNS
06-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Mitch ****ing Talbot.

I said this yesterday: Blow it up. This team has no talent, no heart, no drive, and no determination. Enough is enough, already.

theamb
06-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Mitch ****ing Talbot.

Who has arguably been Cleveland's best pitcher all season.

Of course, it helps facing this sad-sack team

Jurr
06-05-2010, 10:38 PM

On Rios:

Says that all they did for him was get him away from baseball for the offseason and pointed out to him the things that made him productive in Toronto. Pretty much admitted that Alex got himself back "right".

Quentin:

Says that Carlos proved that he could get in a good frame of mind for an entire season (references '08). States that Carlos needs to get that back and he'll be fine.

He said there is a right way to be a power hitter and a wrong way. They actually jump on hitters who try to pull everything for homers.

Beckham:

He said he saw Beckham's problems developing in the spring. He said that Gordon began worrying about what he wasn't great at (offspeed) and ruined the timing of his fastball swing. He says that Gordon's learning in the bigs instead of where everyone else learns (AA or AAA). Gordon apparently doesn't have a perfectly set routine that consistent hitters have. Gordon tries something new every day, and that's hurting him.

The team:

He said that he believed at the beginning of the year that this team was ready to go. He didn't believe that in '09 with Getz and Fields in the top of the order. In 2010 he did have some question marks. He wondered if Pierre could handle steady playing time for the first time in 2 years. He wondered if Beckham would let his head keep him from believing he actually belongs in the league. He stated other guys (Pierzynski, Jones), wondering if they had it all together mentally (actually stated AJ's game stems from his brain and his contract situation messes with him).

He then stated that this team won't "out-talent" everybody until they get the minor league situation together. He says the players aren't playing as a team, and they have to "out-team" their opponents.

That's it.

Malgar 12
06-05-2010, 10:39 PM
'88, '89 and '99 were pretty bad. '89 and '99 were both salvaged by decent 2nd half runs.

If I recall correctly they only won 69 games in 89....

sox1970
06-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks, Jurr. I thought finding the podcast was a nice enough gesture.

GoGoCrede
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks, Jurr.

SBSoxFan
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Seconded. Too lazy to listen, but I would like to know what was said.

I heard some of it on the radio. I think the interview might actually have been recorded before yesterday's game because, at one point, Walker mentioned all the positives they could take from "yesterday's" game, and I thought: "10-1 loss? Positives?" :scratch: Then he mentioned Freddy's pitching and Quentin's homer.

Anyway, I think the part that makes the players sound like a bunch of babies is that Walker went through the lineup and mentioned several players he was worried about coming into the season because he didn't know, for various reasons, where their heads might be. Pierre - hadn't played full time in 2 years, now being asked to be a full time lead off hitter in a different league. Beckham - saying all the things that makes a hitting coach worried; worried about a sophomore slump; A.J. - contract season, A.J.'s an emotional guy; Jones - hadn't played well in several years, but came into camp in shape, reason for optimism. Teahen - could he handle playing one position full time. Quentin - Where was his head after a bad and injury-plagued year last year.

Walker also said Pierre doesn't need a hitting coach. Walker kept preaching, during the interview, about getting guys to use the whole park to hit, how there are more hits in the middle of the field than anywhere else, and how there is a right way and a wrong way to hit home runs. It makes you wonder why it doesn't translate to the games. Then Walker said they spend most of their time coaching the guy's heads because everyone's brain is different. That seemed odd, but what do I know?

I turned on the radio after the interview started so I don't know how much I missed, but that was the most interesting stuff I can remember.

Shoeless
06-05-2010, 10:46 PM
What hurts the most is Peavy pitched quite well. Huge disappointment.

Tragg
06-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Sounds like Walker understands the issues.

doublem23
06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
:fireozzie

Can we get a Fire KW tag, too?

SI1020
06-05-2010, 11:07 PM
That must have been nice! I really wish I could have seen the 1959 team. I adore Billy Pierce. My boyhood idol. No one could ever replace him for me.

TomParrish79
06-05-2010, 11:14 PM

Someone needs to play the clip of the band going down with the ship on the movie.

I just hope the water isn't too deep, because I am riding this baby all the way down!

in the words of Lou Brown, we just need something to bring it all together

Dan H
06-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I was at this game and, despite the good crowd, there was no emotion in the ball park. Of course it is hard to get excited when the closest thing to a extra base hit is a fly ball caught on the warning track. Even the booing at the end of the game was half-hearted. The biggest cheer came during the fireworks. And did Pierre really bunt on a 3-2 count? I still don't believe I saw that. He might has as well forfieted that at-bat.

If no one in the front office sees there that this franchise has deep issues, the team is in bigger trouble than I thought. It is past time to fire Guillen and Williams. To keep these two any longer is to remain in denial.

Jurr
06-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Someone needs to play the clip of the band going down with the ship on the movie.

I just hope the water isn't too deep, because I am riding this baby all the way down!

in the words of Lou Brown, we just need something to bring it all together

:everett:

"Bring Robbie Alomar back!"

WhiteSox56
06-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Such high hopes for this team.... Its sad, but someone needs to pull the trigger on this team. I just hope somehow, someway, PK stays with us. It will be really, really hard to see Paulie go.

Gavin
06-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Konerko's gutless called third strike with two outs in the bottom of the fifth sent me into fits. There was good speed aboard and you're down by one--put the ****ing ball into play and see what happens. Paul, you're supposed to be one of the only people on the team that can hit. I'm sure he'll hit three meaningless solo shots by this time next week.

I'm half compelled to look up who has the best batting average with RISP while losing. Oh my god I'm a stat head obsessing with statistical "mental masturbation"!

Brian26
06-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I was at this game and, despite the good crowd, there was no emotion in the ball park. Of course it is hard to get excited when the closest thing to a extra base hit is a fly ball caught on the warning track. Even the booing at the end of the game was half-hearted. The biggest cheer came during the fireworks. And did Pierre really bunt on a 3-2 count? I still don't believe I saw that. He might has as well forfieted that at-bat.

If no one in the front office sees there that this franchise has deep issues, the team is in bigger trouble than I thought. It is past time to fire Guillen and Williams. To keep these two any longer is to remain in denial.

The answer to this mess is for JR to sell to the Allyns and bring back Rollie Hemond as GM. That would solve everything.

hi im skot
06-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Same ****, different day.

ChiSoxGirl
06-06-2010, 12:04 AM
The positive that comes from tonight's loss is that the odds of them winning tomorrow, and improving my record to 5-0 on the season, have increased. I'll be absolutely stunned if I walk out of the ballpark unbeaten on the season.

Hitmen77
06-06-2010, 12:27 AM
If I recall correctly they only won 69 games in 89....

69-92 in 1989. But even that season had hope as they had a 2nd half rebound and lots of talent in the pipeline.

The last time the Sox lost more than 92 games was 1976 when they went 64-97. This year's team is making a strong run at being the worst since that season 34 years ago.

guillensdisciple
06-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Nobody said it was easy.

JB98
06-06-2010, 01:23 AM

I was also at tonight's game, and I agree with the bolded comment.

What a boring team. We had a nice crowd out there tonight, but there was nothing to stand up and cheer about all night long.

Zzzzzzz.....

LoveYourSuit
06-06-2010, 01:37 AM
The tickets I have left from my season package has as much worth as Lehman Bros stock right now.

doublem23
06-06-2010, 02:07 AM
The tickets I have left from my season package has as much worth as Lehman Bros stock right now.

That probably depends on what quality paper that stock is printed on.

Gavin
06-06-2010, 02:12 AM
I was at the game. It was a gift for my dad's birthday. My dad doesn't go to many games but is an ardent Sox fan and felt it necessary to moan publicly things such as "This is why the Sox Suck" and "Swing the baaaaaaaat". The upper deck was pathetically full of mostly drunks-to-be.

It's getting bad.

LoveYourSuit
06-06-2010, 02:15 AM
I was at the game. It was a gift for my dad's birthday. My dad doesn't go to many games but is an ardent Sox fan and felt it necessary to moan publicly things such as "This is why the Sox Suck" and "Swing the baaaaaaaat". The upper deck was pathetically full of mostly drunks-to-be.

It's getting bad.

Wait til the "Crosstown Showdown!":rolleyes:

I would be emberassed to be part of that mess. My tickets have been sold for that one, thank you very much!

I hate bad baseball in this town. It brings out the stupid in everyone.

Foulke You
06-06-2010, 02:33 AM

What a boring team. We had a nice crowd out there tonight, but there was nothing to stand up and cheer about all night long.

Zzzzzzz.....
The crowds have been deader this year than in recent memory. The last crowd with electricity I attended in 2010 was Opening Day. I don't blame my fellow Sox fans either. This team has done nothing to generate excitement. They just aren't any fun to watch and they rarely come from behind after losing a lead. Getting clowned by the lowly Tribe in front of your home fans makes everyone associated with the organization look bad.

wassagstdu
06-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Beckham:

He said he saw Beckham's problems developing in the spring. He said that Gordon began worrying about what he wasn't great at (offspeed) and ruined the timing of his fastball swing. He says that Gordon's learning in the bigs instead of where everyone else learns (AA or AAA). Gordon apparently doesn't have a perfectly set routine that consistent hitters have. Gordon tries something new every day, and that's hurting him.

Maybe Walker is right, I don't know. But my guess is that he is right for Konerko and Thome and some others but not for everyone. For example, Podsednik hit the on switch last year by doing that little dance in the batter's box that he said he did in order to stop himself from thinking too much. So the Walker philosophy is to craft a swing like a golf swing and not deviate. OK, then the pitcher examines that and finds a weakness, and the Sox hitter is a machine that can't adjust? For example, I got real tired of watching Dye strike out on the "back foot slider," but he never seemed to.

That would explain the absence of "see the ball, hit the ball" type hitters on the Sox, and the long-term, consistent failure of situational hitting.

WSox597
06-06-2010, 08:10 AM
I just hope Guillen and Williams go before they do any more damage. You can just see them trading the few good pieces and keeping the mutts.

These guys are painful to watch. We watched much of the game yesterday, but changed the channel after more futility at the plate. I can't recall the last time I saw such an anemic bunch at the plate. It's like they forgot everything they ever knew about advancing the runners, hitting a fly ball to score a run from third, etc.

Painful. I'll always be a Sox fan, if they're not playing I'm not watching baseball. But man, this really hurts to see. Five years out from a World Series win, and this is the best they can do?

Dan H
06-06-2010, 08:47 AM
The answer to this mess is for JR to sell to the Allyns and bring back Rollie Hemond as GM. That would solve everything.

What does this have to do with the 2010 Sox, a team that is falling apart? The Bulls have hired a coach with a good reputation. They seem poised to do something dramatic in the off season. I suggest JR does the same with the Sox.

doublem23
06-06-2010, 08:50 AM
What does this have to do with the 2010 Sox, a team that is falling apart? The Bulls have hired a coach with a good reputation. They seem poised to do something dramatic in the off season. I suggest JR does the same with the Sox.

Yawn, this childish drama queen act is getting old. Hey, I was as down on the Sox as anyone coming into this season, but seriously... "A team falling apart... JR has no loyalty to Sox fans... the front office is in denial..."

Bla bla bla. Plenty of people said the same thing, verbatim, during the 2007 debacle and the Sox rebounded with a trip to the postseason, but this overly dramatic rhetorical nonsense is just plain silly.

WhiteSox1989
06-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm no longer optimistic about this team.

Sad
06-06-2010, 10:24 AM

thanks to a supplier, I'm sitting first row behind the SOX dugout again Thursday -
if it wasn't for the tailgate and the others going who I enjoy, I'd blow it right off...

I don't like being angry after watching a baseball game
it's like Groundhog Day with these guys...

SI1020
06-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Yawn, this childish drama queen act is getting old. Hey, I was as down on the Sox as anyone coming into this season, but seriously... "A team falling apart... JR has no loyalty to Sox fans... the front office is in denial..."

Bla bla bla. Plenty of people said the same thing, verbatim, during the 2007 debacle and the Sox rebounded with a trip to the postseason, but this overly dramatic rhetorical nonsense is just plain silly. I wouldn't accuse JR of having no loyalty to us ordinary fans, and I have no idea what the front office thinks now. Still to me it looks like not just a team, but an entire organization in trouble. We're closing in on 4 seasons of lousy baseball, with that little one and out mirage of 08 in between.

MARTINMVP
06-06-2010, 11:49 AM
My fiance yesterday surprised me for my upcoming b-day by telling me that she bought us day game tickets for this Thursday behind homeplate (not the scout seats, a few rows behind them). My reaction was probably more like "awww... really?? Sox tickets... that's greeattttt."

She rules and I love her, but man, yeah it's easy to not get excited about this team. I am down to watching one or two partial Sox games a week, while putting my MLB.TV to extra work to catch a few more Redbird games.

Cant pin this one on Jake, he threw a nice a game, my only positive

After tonight, I offcially give up on the Sox this year, I am no longer watching and wasting my time with this. I am a huge fan of baseball, and the White Sox are my team, but sorry I just cant watch or support this team anymore I will watch other teams games to satisfy my baseball fix

This was the home stand where they made a statement as to wheter or not they wanted to continue this season with the team that broke camp, every player to a man knew it, and this team has played simply terrible so my response to them is buh bye

the fan police can call me a bad fan, and maybe I am.....but come opening day next year I will be back on board, I am assuming we are going to see a garbage team in 2011, but I will be there watching and rooting and at least given them the oppurtunity to utterly dissapoint me

see you later white sox baseball 2010, thanks for absolutely nothing

fox23
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM

I was sitting in the bleachers last night and almost lost it when I saw him try to bunt on 3-2. It was such a bad attempt and in such a crazy situation that I thought at first the ump would rule it a foul ball on a swing and Pierre would get another chance.

And I wouldn't blame the crowd at all either this year. I now feel kind of foolish for badgering my worthless season ticket rep until we were able to move our seats downstairs. It just feels like a waste of a few extra hundred bucks this year now when we know come mid summer we could have just snuck downstairs and sat wherever we wanted in the soon to be abyss that will be the outfield seats.

slavko
06-06-2010, 12:45 PM

The problem, if it is a problem, is that JR is loyal to those who are loyal to him. And Ozzie and Kenny provided him with the greatest moment of his life. Or so he thinks. So, IMO, we are nowhere near a mass shakeup at the top.

The model of concealing a failed minor league system by crafty trades and buying talent has ceased working. As another nearby team is finding out, badness can cost a lot of money and still be bad.

In a perverse sense, if revenues were half of what they are now, management would be forced to do things on the cheap by developing a functioning minor league system, which is, of course, the right way to do things. So help the cause by not going to games.

kittle42
06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Sox, for making my choice whether to renew season tickets for 2011 easier each day.

GoGoCrede
06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Barring a sudden winning streak....I'm sticking my fork in. I'll keep watching, mind you, but I'm becoming more and more certain with each game that 2010 is done. I will be thrilled to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Shame. Baseball is always my favorite part of the summer.

GlassSox
06-06-2010, 01:54 PM

Zzzzzzz.....

Yes I too spent hard earned money and it seemed like a 4 hour game. Only thing to cheer about was the fireworks.

BadBobbyJenks
06-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Huge crowd and just not an enjoyable moment at any point. That was the longest firework show I have ever seen at the Cell. With an offense this bad, they must have had a lot left over.

The Indians are 13-30 vs teams not named the White Sox.

Jurr
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Huge crowd and just not an enjoyable moment at any point. That was the longest firework show I have ever seen at the Cell. With an offense this bad, they must have had a lot left over.

The Indians are 13-30 vs teams not named the White Sox.

Might as well be the Pirates. Folks show up for the fireworks nights and that's it. At least the buccos have Pedro Alvarez, Tabita, and Lincoln to look forward to later this year. The Sox don't have "can't miss" talent coming up. It just sucks all over.