PDA

View Full Version : Your manager is a moron !

Luzinski
06-20-2002, 11:19 AM
Last night, I attended my first White Sox game (at the Vet in Philadelphia) since the last White Sox game I went to at old Comiskey Park.

I've often wondered from afar why the White Sox are so inconsistent & can never stay over .500 very long. Watching in person, it's easy to see why: Jerry Manuel and/or his advance scouts are unprepared.

A little advance scouting would let you know that the Phillies cannot hit a sidewinder like Wunsch. So, why take Wunsch out after the 7th inning? In two games versus the Phillies, Wunsch has gotten six outs on 17 pitches.

The dumbest thing I've seen all year was the intentional walk of Travis Lee in the 9th inning! Travis Lee is the biggest choker in the National League and is on his way out of Philadelphia! He would have inevitably struck out, if you'd pitched to him!

Tomas Perez, who Jerry Manuel elected to load the bases for, is probably the Phillies' second best clutch hitter, after Burrell.

I felt badly for the White Sox, watching them walk off the field, looking dejected. Their manager handed the Phillies the game!

KempersRS
06-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Luzinski
Last night, I attended my first White Sox game (at the Vet in Philadelphia) since the last White Sox game I went to at old Comiskey Park.

I've often wondered from afar why the White Sox are so inconsistent & can never stay over .500 very long. Watching in person, it's easy to see why: Jerry Manuel and/or his advance scouts are unprepared.

A little advance scouting would let you know that the Phillies cannot hit a sidewinder like Wunsch. So, why take Wunsch out after the 7th inning? In two games versus the Phillies, Wunsch has gotten six outs on 17 pitches.

The dumbest thing I've seen all year was the intentional walk of Travis Lee in the 9th inning! Travis Lee is the biggest choker in the National League and is on his way out of Philadelphia! He would have inevitably struck out, if you'd pitched to him!

I felt badly for the White Sox, watching them walk off the field, looking dejected. Their manager handed the Phillies the game!

Manuel is an idiot, but not for those reasons. I can guarantee you there is no team in the American League that knows what National League teams are good off side armers. It's not like that is something that would be easy to research, unless you heavily scouted a team. And that intentional walk was the right decision all the way. You have a base open and the go-ahead run is already on second anyway. Manuel is an idiot for so many reasons, but I won't fault him on those decisions at all.

Cheryl
06-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by KempersRS

I can guarantee you there is no team in the American League that knows what National League teams are good off side armers. It's not like that is something that would be easy to research, unless you heavily scouted a team.

I've known since March or so the Sox were playing Phillie this year. Didn't the Sox know that? Couldn't they have sent, or say a scout in to watch a few games and report back? Even if they didn't want to spend the $400 or so on a scouting report, maybe someone should have turned on their televisions and watched a few Phils games before sending the team to Phillie.

Sheesh.

BigKlu59
06-20-2002, 11:50 AM
I was a happy "wet" little Hosehead going into the bottom of the 9th and thought wonder of wonders the Sox actually would put back to back late inning gems together.Where was Osuna? Come on, "Rocky" Biddle? That one was a mind number....That was a long walk to the parking lot...
Observations...Sox are back to first pitch hiting in the heart of the line up. It would have been good to see Manos and Walnuts work a count last night instead of hitting those St. Louis Browns skyrockets to the tarp cage.Another wasted outing by an improving young arm.Nice shot by Liefer.Damn game looked so promising..:( The Hurt looks like he's trying out a new skirt size.That was a feeble PH attempt..Maybe roids are the answer.The guy needs a little rage in the box..
BigKlu59

KempersRS
06-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I've known since March or so the Sox were playing Phillie this year. Didn't the Sox know that? Couldn't they have sent, or say a scout in to watch a few games and report back? Even if they didn't want to spend the $400 or so on a scouting report, maybe someone should have turned on their televisions and watched a few Phils games before sending the team to Phillie.

Sheesh.

It doesn't matter, good off side armers? Even if you scout a team, what are the chances they will even face a side armed pitcher? Where is the information that even proves his theory correct? The Phillies have more earned runs off Byung-Hyun Kim THAN ANY OTHER TEAM IN BASEBALL.

Cheryl
06-20-2002, 12:40 PM
It's not just the side-arm thing. They're playing a team they've never seen and it shows. Big time. It looks like they have absolutely no information about the Phils, about the ballpark, maybe not even what time zone they're in.

pudge
06-20-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
It's not just the side-arm thing. They're playing a team they've never seen and it shows. Big time. It looks like they have absolutely no information about the Phils, about the ballpark, maybe not even what time zone they're in.

Cheryl thanks for your insight, it sounds to me like a situation where the team was unprepared - the Phills were cleary struggling against Wunsch and Marte, why not keep going to one of those guys? Ugh.

voodoochile
06-20-2002, 12:50 PM
I have to say that I am more dissappointed in the lineup last night than the use of pitchers. Toug loss, but the bullpen was taxed the night before.

Still, what was with that lineup?

JM and his incessant tinkering are going to be the death of this team. Stop trying to create leftie/rightie matchups, let the team play. He benches Carlos Lee (who has been on a roll) and drops Durham to 6th (who is in the middle of a hot streak and seeing the ball very well). He pinch hits Frank (who has been struggling and doesn't swing the bat well when cold). He manages to do the double switch correctly except for one small problem... the position player he put in (guess who) doesn't hit better than a pitcher anyway and thus he couldn't pinch hit for the pitcher slot again in the 8th because that would have cost him his defensive adjustment. I absolutely knew he was going to stick with Keith in the 9th because last time out he threw 2.2 strong innings and because the bullpen was taxed. I was thinking (hoping) it would be okay. When he brought in Biddle I was still optimistic, because Biddle has been strong this year - unfortunately it didn't work out.

JM needs to get his head out of his butt, or he needs to go...

CerberusWG
06-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Luzinski

Tomas Perez, who Jerry Manuel elected to load the bases for, is probably the Phillies' second best clutch hitter, after Burrell.

Welcome to WSI!

And yes, we know Manuel sucks :)

No-Neck
06-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Luzinski,

Are these the same White Sox scouts who during the past off-season told us Todd Ritchie has the stuff to be top-tier MLB Starter?

It's well known in this city that the only qualification to becoming an elite member of the White Sox Organization in any capacity is being a good lapdog, butt-kisser to the Chairman of Board. Brown noses need only apply.

Welcome to the world of White Sox baseball!