PDA

View Full Version : What are we paying for?

dougs78
06-20-2002, 09:15 AM
You know, I'm among the first in line to wonder aloud why we can't spend anymore than we do to get a free agent every now and again to help our team. We hear the chorus of how money is tight and we can't afford good players. I am starting to think that the money is not really the problem as much as what we spend it on.

Look at our salary structure. We have 6 players making up 36 million of our 57 million payroll....but look at the contributions these players are making to the effort!!

Frank 9.9
Maggs 6.5
Ray 6.3
Jose 5.0
Royce 4.5
Foulke 4.0

Foulke is actually (at least he should be) the bargain basement of this group, and Magglio certainly is earning every dime of that and then some. But of the others??? Of course I love frank and his hitting over his career certainly has entitled him to those numbers, but man oh man, he sure is not a 10 million hitter this year.

Ray, Jose and Royce are the real tragedies of this group. 16 million to combine to form an average at best defensive group. Look at their combined average which is hovering somewhere around .240 and with an on base % that barely tops .300....

I start to see what Jerry is talking about when he says we can find players like Harris, Graffanino and Crede to do about the same for about 15 million less. Think of spending that 15 million elsewhere.... or even keeeping ray and having 9 million to spend elsewhere...

Anyway, i just need to get some of this stuff out and I'm feeling better already....now if only the sox can somehow find a way to limit the roller coaster that has become this season.

Tragg
06-20-2002, 09:21 AM
Ray Durham has an OBP of .374, the highest among Sox starters. He certainly doesn't belong in the "clayton" category.

delben91
06-20-2002, 09:38 AM
Well, come season's end, royce will be gone, and I'd say there's a better than 50/50 shot ray will be gone too. That would seemingly open the door for Crede and Harris (or Hummel) at their "bargain basement" prices. So, will JR pocket that extra cash, or let KW spend it. Actually, is either of those really a good option?

:KW
"Hmmm, pitching...maybe I could get Burba from Texas...."

dougs78
06-20-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Ray Durham has an OBP of .374, the highest among Sox starters. He certainly doesn't belong in the "clayton" category.

Tis' true....Ray is getting on base quite often this season which is GREAT, don't get me wrong. I actually like having ray on our team this year...but the fact remains....look at the rest of his numbers. He is one of the only players in MLB that actually has a lower slugging % than he does OBP (Edgardo Alfonzo and Mientkiewicz are the others I found) His .354 is just 3 points ahead of Royce. This then puts his OPS right behind Valentin and only ahead of Clayton and MJ. He also has struck out 47 times and is among the leaders in baseball for grounding into 9 double plays.

All I'm saying is that while some of his stats shine, like OPB, most of his others are not that great. This certainly does not mean hes in the "clayton" category, but it does mean hes getting paid an awful lot of money relative to our team.