PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper

pythons007
06-04-2010, 05:42 PM
How good is he going to be?

I should have added one option:
Too early to tell, we'll see after some minor league atbats/games.

Mods can you make the change?

WhiteSox5187
06-04-2010, 05:43 PM
No clue but a common complaint against him is that he is a hot head. That's going to hurt him, especially when he encounters his first struggles.

pythons007
06-04-2010, 05:47 PM
No clue but a common complaint against him is that he is a hot head. That's going to hurt him, especially when he encounters his first struggles.

I've heard this too but you have to remember he's only 17. He's going to be childish at times and let things get to him that veterans don't even scoff at.

pearso66
06-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I also saw somewhere that Boras doesn't want him to catch. If he's not catching his bat isn't as valuable, but who knows how he will hit anyway.

jabrch
06-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Projections on how a 17 year old will be when he gets to the majors have an extremely low likelihood of being right. My 3 year old would have about the same odds of getting this poll right as anyone else on the board if the question is - Good or Bad...

Twins_Morneau
06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Since was a Aroid a bonafide HOF?????:scratch:

doublem23
06-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Since was a Aroid a bonafide HOF?????:scratch:

People have been saying A-Rod was a shoe-in for the HOF since before he put on an MLB uniform for the first time.

Sometimes, you just know.

Twins_Morneau
06-05-2010, 03:26 AM
People have been saying A-Rod was a shoe-in for the HOF since before he put on an MLB uniform for the first time.

Sometimes, you just know.

Well he won't get in until Bonds and the rest of the cheats get in.

doublem23
06-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Well he won't get in until Bonds and the rest of the cheats get in.

We'll see... A-Rod is going to be an interesting case, he doesn't get nearly the media blackballing that McGwire or Bonds ever got.

WhiteSox5187
06-05-2010, 12:56 PM
We'll see... A-Rod is going to be an interesting case, he doesn't get nearly the media blackballing that McGwire or Bonds ever got.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but McGwire didn't get anywhere near the negative press that Bonds got. After his Congressional Testimony he got a lot of articles saying he wasn't a HOFer, certainly. But, he wasn't even in the same league as Bonds. A-Rod is not exactly beloved by the media either, there have been lots of articles that have been highly critical of him and he isn't loved much in the baseball community either with lots of things attributed to nameless sources calling him a "phony" and a "jerk."

october23sp
06-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I really don't know his stance/swing/leg kick is probably the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I don't think he would be able to face a pitcher who can throw mid-high 90s who may also have good breaking stuff.

palehozenychicty
06-05-2010, 01:59 PM
He's still very young, but guys who played against him in the independent leagues thought he had the goods. If he does play at a high level, along with Strasburg, Storen, Zimmerman, etc, then the Nasty Nats have a serious squad for the first times since the Expo days.

pythons007
06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I know this means nothing but ESPN said he would be in the bigs before he turned 20.

His swing is pretty nasty lookin, but he generates a lot of torque and he did apparently hit a ball 570 feet with
a metal bat. He was also hitting the scoreboard on a fly at the Rays stadium, again with a metal bat. Either way that's still pretty impressive.

With all the press this kid has gotten can only lead to a stamp of another overhyped prospect even if he turns in a decent career. Does anyone know the percentage of failed #1s?

jabrch
06-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Here's a list of #1s. I guess it depends on how you define failure...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/history/draft